Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 5, 2008 3:25 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Slightly boring episode :/
Nov 25, 2008 6:25 AM

Feb 2008
I was honestly yawning while watching this episode. It's a good series, but hell is it ever boring sometimes. The whole episode was just talking with nothing happening. Should have skipped it.
VeroninNov 25, 2008 6:29 AM
Nov 27, 2008 5:32 PM

May 2008
True, it was boring but this episode was necessary for us to watch. This virtual chatroom scene enabled us to get a background of warai otoko (LM) and the events surrounding the abduction of Serano.

Btw, nice representation of a virtual chatroom! Looks damn cool!
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Apr 20, 2009 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
Veronin said:
I was honestly yawning while watching this episode. It's a good series, but hell is it ever boring sometimes. The whole episode was just talking with nothing happening. Should have skipped it.
Not at all an useless episode. They filled us with some information, but overall it didn't mean anything. The chit chat was all around if wether or not the Laughing Man that atacked Nanao was also the same as the Laughing Man of the 6 years ago.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 4, 2009 11:24 PM

Mar 2009
I was so bored I decided to tidy my front room while it was on

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

May 28, 2009 7:39 PM
Apr 2008
So far it's one of the worst I've seen..
Jun 11, 2009 12:09 AM

Jul 2008
oddly enough i was not that bored with this episode, i actually found it quit intriguing into what is and who is, the "laughing man"
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 24, 2009 2:07 AM

Nov 2007
Now that had A LOT of discussion into the Laughing man, I mean sure insight into the plot is great and all but in such a high concentration ... a little over the top. Although not to say the discussion was boring or anything just felt like they tried to force to much on the watcher at once.
Jul 25, 2009 9:08 PM

Jun 2009
You Know, it's odd how what you guys call "boring" I felt was very entertaining. I find the Laughing Man a very interesting character, so this episode is and was one of my favorites.

That's what I like about GITS, it doesn't pander to the attention depraved modern anime watcher. It's a genuinely intelligent show that relies as much on words, as it does action.

And, I love it for it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 27, 2009 7:36 AM

May 2008
usasoldiern said:
You Know, it's odd how what you guys call "boring" I felt was very entertaining. I find the Laughing Man a very interesting character, so this episode is and was one of my favorites.

That's what I like about GITS, it doesn't pander to the attention depraved modern anime watcher. It's a genuinely intelligent show that relies as much on words, as it does action.

And, I love it for it.

Amen to that.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Nov 9, 2009 4:36 PM

Aug 2008
Hai hai... Dunno why you found it boring... Well I did slept twice with it but it was because I was dead tired laid in my bed watching it the two times... Yesterday, now that I really put attention to it I was amazed of all the mess they were discussing over that awesome Virtual Chat Room... BTW, about aesthetics... Man Motoko looked smoking hot with that dress and hair color I loved how that girl looked!!!

SO in a epi full of info, you have to put your whole attention then you wouldn't like it at all... Like almost half of you have done so... Immho the chat was interesting... and maybe it was hinted who was Warai Otoko... I'm not so sure of thaat yet... But man It was a really important episode all because we knew a bit more about this messy guy... I'd prefer something like this than something totally unrelated to the plot...

Oh my Motoko is soooo amazing... Driving while chatting? WTF?... SO Womanly? XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2009 9:00 PM

Apr 2009
A lot of information in this one. Nothing really got cleared up though, we still have no idea who the laughing man is, we just know that it may or may not be multiple people/the same person who did it 6 years ago.
Nov 19, 2009 4:58 PM

Oct 2009
I loled when that guy called the dude with the Laughing Man avatar a newfag in the beginning.
Mar 19, 2010 7:41 PM

Oct 2009
yeah i agree it was a pretty boring ep but atleast it gave us a lut of background info the the laughing man so that's good:)
Apr 26, 2010 3:09 PM

Jan 2008
Sadly so boring and tiring to watch that I actually did fall asleep
Jul 5, 2010 4:22 AM

Apr 2009
Leibstandarte said:
usasoldiern said:

And, I love it for it.

Amen to that.
Sep 1, 2010 3:36 PM

Jan 2010
Leibstandarte said:
usasoldiern said:

And, I love it for it.
This.
Sep 5, 2010 4:02 AM
Sep 2007
insan3soldiern said:

And, I love it for it.

I'm going to follow the trend and quote insan3soldiern as well. Far from a boring episode, it's actually one of the most intriguing and greatest GitS episode yet, imo.
Nov 7, 2010 4:35 PM

Jun 2009
A year later and I still stand by my words.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2010 10:12 AM

Mar 2009
A future, 3D take on a forum, complete with lurkers, circle-jerking and embedded video? How is that not cool?
The insight the really serious guy shared and the Major's attitude towards and minimal involvement in the whole thing was good development, too. Not to mention the foreshadowing about limited internet connection for whoever started the forum and his connection to the Laughing Man.
Nov 21, 2010 9:55 PM

May 2009
senerikfred said:
A future, 3D take on a forum, complete with lurkers, circle-jerking and embedded video? How is that not cool?
Very cool.

And boring it most certainly was not. Can't possibly watch it at the end of a tiring day, though.
Nov 26, 2010 9:46 AM

Aug 2009
Hehe wasn't expecting the Bosch to be in this ^^
Mar 22, 2011 2:04 PM

Nov 2009
aero said:
Slightly boring episode :/

I actually really enjoyed this episode as well. I agree with those who say it is one of their favourites(although only seen 9 of 26 episodes so far). It may of been a change of pace, and not much actually happened, but I loved listening to the conversation of those in the chat room.
Apr 10, 2011 10:19 PM
Apr 2011
This was quite an intriguing episode. I love the representation of a future chatroom/forum, complete will all the different types of lurkers/posters/trolls etc. Quite a lot of information to take in, and most of us net-nerds have sat around discussing our hobbies and interests just like that.
May 31, 2011 1:09 PM

Apr 2009
Lol @ the people w/ boring comments. I thought that this was gonna be a lame recap, but this was really enjoyable.

This was certainly one of the more thought provoking episodes I've seen yet from any show.
I personally enjoyed looking at all the puzzle pieces of the Laughing Man case and getting all these theories and different perspectives on who he/she might be.
Aug 28, 2011 3:40 AM

Jul 2009
definitely like the virtual chat room style presentation.

they really discussed alot on who "The Laughing Man" is. heck i actually thought this was a unrelated episode, but it actually happened while Motoko is driving??? what?!?!?!?! :P

so Motoko actually got a fragment of the virus huh?? never knew they were actually hackers watching the whole incident behind the shadows.

also did the real laughing man actually showed up on the virtual room?!?!?! O____O

makes me think if technology advances forward to the point that we can pretty much spy on anyone at anywhere and anytime.

really love the series, can't wait to see more :P
SomaHeirAug 28, 2011 3:44 AM
Nov 16, 2011 12:56 AM

Feb 2009
Dialogue overflowing!!

All the discussion about the "Laughing Man" was EFFIN' INTERESTING! Loved it.
Mar 3, 2012 2:56 PM

Aug 2010
senerikfred said:

That's how I saw it. Pretty fun episode.
Mar 12, 2012 8:46 AM
Nov 2011
My god, the anime has crossed the initial expectations I had. Wow, just wow.
Mar 14, 2012 6:28 AM

Jan 2010
insan3soldiern said:

And, I love it for it.

Quoted for truth, once again. It's nice to have to turn your brain on and really get absorbed in the disscusion. The virual chatroom was almost too true to life.
Jun 4, 2012 8:24 PM

Jul 2011
insan3soldiern said:

And, I love it for it.

Yes! I'm surprised. I find shows that rely on dialogue the most boring thing (had to drop Katanagatari), yet I sat through this 20 minute conversation completely absorbed. I was surprised when the ending song started to play because it didn't feel like an episode had gone by already. o_o

I totally knew the lady was the Major the moment she appeared. Just instinctively. Also that man with the boy-voice. Knew he had something to do with The Laughing Man.

One of my favorite episodes, to be honest.

Loving this series! <3
Jul 12, 2012 12:58 AM

Jan 2012
Great episode to watch. I really felt like one of those sitting in the back watching this conversation take place. The whole thing felt so natural and it give a great insight on what people thought of the Laughing man. Scary thing that the major was doing all of that while driving lol
Jul 16, 2012 9:30 PM
May 2012
insan3soldiern said:

And, I love it for it.

Baldark said:
Great episode to watch. I really felt like one of those sitting in the back watching this conversation take place. The whole thing felt so natural and it give a great insight on what people thought of the Laughing man.

Couldn't agree more -- I loved this episode.
MoshromJul 16, 2012 9:35 PM
Jul 28, 2012 5:34 PM

Jan 2012
Okey. That was a lot of talking! Damn.
Aug 31, 2012 5:56 PM

Aug 2012
I found it interesting as fuck. Am I the only one that didn't get bored?
Oct 5, 2012 8:00 PM

Nov 2011
That was pretty awesome! I can't wait to actually meet the laughing man! He must be some god hacker that can never be touched!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 8, 2012 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
This episode was intriguing. It makes you want to know who is behind the Laughing Man even more.
Oct 23, 2012 9:11 AM

May 2012
Somehow that was cool!!!! wow... she was doing that online virtual thing while driving...
Dec 20, 2012 3:13 PM

May 2012
Boring episode although it's a bit more information about the laughing man it was still rather boring and only dialogue!
Dec 22, 2012 4:49 AM

Jan 2012
I don't mind some information about the Laughing Man, but this was to much talking.

Dec 31, 2012 10:42 PM

Nov 2011
They should of done what DRRR did tbh and make some cool dialogues. Anyways, nice episode.
May 28, 2013 11:01 AM

Apr 2013
Good episode but a lot of talk.
May 29, 2013 2:13 PM

Mar 2010
great episode
Jul 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Feb 2013
The Laughing Man is the best character in this show IMO
Aug 25, 2013 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
i managed to finish this episode within 3 hours..

so much talking, so much governmental issues.. we really pay considerable attention to see what is really going on and i think i am not that smart to understand all the details..

honestly, my expectations were high at the start but i think this series is beginnig to disappointed me. =/ movies are way better than the series.
Aug 25, 2013 3:20 PM
Jun 2007
bulk_density said:
i managed to finish this episode within 3 hours..

so much talking, so much governmental issues.. we really pay considerable attention to see what is really going on and i think i am not that smart to understand all the details..

honestly, my expectations were high at the start but i think this series is beginnig to disappointed me. =/ movies are way better than the series.

Try to watch through til the end, it really is a great series imo!
Dec 12, 2013 3:06 AM

May 2011
A creative perspective of the future technology. Anyways, this episode presents to us a deep perspective of Laughing Man's rationale and objective in his incidents, and the ending was just badass. So...Motoko's been driving subconsciously??!!! BADASS.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 14, 2013 9:54 AM

Aug 2013
I found it very interresting, knowing that the probably real laughing man was watching them all along. Also the background was interresting even if there things that we already know.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 28, 2013 11:09 PM

Feb 2009
insan3Spectre said:

And, I love it for it.

FWIW, this ep. gets better w/ repeated viewings. Like all forums, there's some good signal buried w/in a lot of noise. GITS never spoon feeds you info, and you have to do some detective work on your own to really get what's going on. It's one of the things I love about this franchise.
Dec 31, 2013 8:09 AM

Jun 2008
This episode is so far my favorite episode of the series. I want more Complex episodes now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.