Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 16, 2009 1:22 PM

May 2008
Y-elf said:
i hate that they always need to be rescued

Yeah. Damsel's in destress are kind of lame.
There needs to be more male damsel's in distress, and less female ones.

Some girly behaviors I don't seem to like in the woman gender role and those who abide by it are:
Gold digging(looking for wealth, power in the opposite sex). Not having much drive to be physically competitive. Overcaring for their own personal looks. Overcaring for their personal hygiene. Hypernormality and conformity. Overcaring for social graces.
As a part of the "looks" thing, overcaring for fashion and such. Aversion to sexuality and sexual behavior. Blushing at the thought of being defended instead of defending(that damsel in distress thing again). Being sexual in a feminine manner, such as being conscious about their looks, instead of focusing on the looks of someone they like. Overly high romantic expectations(getting infuriated over ONE romantic thing going wrong, instead of being like a guy about romance). Women talking about "this is the way a woman behaves" and blahblah, really apples to anyone who says this is the way a person of a certain sex should act.

I could go on and on mentioning girly traits that girls carry I'm not into.

(I need to post in the objectification thread, but coming in here, I realize a lot of the stuff in there would be better suited for this thread anyway).

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jun 16, 2009 7:18 PM

Jan 2008
ukonkivi said:
Y-elf said:
i hate that they always need to be rescued

Yeah. Damsel's in destress are kind of lame.
There needs to be more male damsel's in distress, and less female ones.

For all the times Kagome got her butt saved in the InuYasha fillers, I would've loved to see her, just once, save InuYasha.

Some girly behaviors I don't seem to like in the woman gender role and those who abide by it are:
Not having much drive to be physically competitive.

This one drives me nuts, since I'm a fan of shonen anime. The guys are so driven, but the girls never seem to match that. So many of them are so focused on romantic relationships.

Hypernormality and conformity. Overcaring for social graces.

I think this kind of goes with what I said about the other characters viewing these girls as being almost perfect. They never seem to rub anyone the wrong way, and any character who dislikes them is considered a bad person.

Being sexual in a feminine manner, such as being conscious about their looks, instead of focusing on the looks of someone they like.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of too many times when I heard a woman in an anime say or think that she found a guy physically attractive. As opposed to the hundreds of times I hear a guy from an anime say a woman is cute, hot, sexy, etc.

Overly high romantic expectations(getting infuriated over ONE romantic thing going wrong, instead of being like a guy about romance).

What do you mean by "like a guy"?

Women talking about "this is the way a woman behaves" and blahblah, really apples to anyone who says this is the way a person of a certain sex should act.

I hate this in real life, as well. I'm pretty darn certain that women don't have one, unified mindset, and I'm positive that men don't, either.

I could go on and on mentioning girly traits that girls carry I'm not into.

Feel free. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

(I need to post in the objectification thread, but coming in here, I realize a lot of the stuff in there would be better suited for this thread anyway).

Still, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions.

Lastly, your avatar always reminds me of Toph from Avatar. Probably because of the headband. I like it.
D&D Club

Because my sig making skills are non-existant.
Feb 23, 2010 3:42 PM

Oct 2009
Because the majority of the other characters are crybabys.
Mar 28, 2010 11:21 AM
Mar 2010
That they're so frickin useless and can't do anything on their own w/o crying or whining for help.
May 14, 2010 7:59 AM

May 2010
I don't really hate them, but I find it rather annoying that they always have to depend on the guy to do everything for them. They can't fight and/or think for themselves and they always get themselves kidnapped! The whole damsel in distress thing is so overused!
Nintendo & Anime 4ever!!!!!!!
May 17, 2010 4:13 PM

Mar 2010
i hate that they are too weak, they are always ALWAYS in love with some guy, their world also reloves around that particular guy. i also hate that they seem to cry about everything! i mean, get a hold of yourself will you??
so annoying!
You try and you fail. Try again. Fail better.
Aug 17, 2010 12:19 PM

Nov 2006
What gets me are the really girly girls like the ones in Ouran High School Host Club who just fawn over men and can't do crap for themselves; the ones that are portrayed as being real air-heads and giggly. Those types of anime girls are extremely sexist portrayals in that it gives people the sense that all girls are like that: hopeless, giggly, dependent, and weak. Misa from Death Note is a great example of this in how she literally clings to Light Yagami all the time, is really stupid, and can't seem to do anything for herself.

I also highly dislike whiny, complaining, and egocentric, and self-hating anime girls. Orihime Inoue from Bleach annoys me a lot because it seems she's always blaming herself for something instead of finding away to fix it or become better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2010 6:53 AM

Mar 2010
zareba said:
I agree with everyone. But, I like some anime where the girl starts off weak and maybe starts to fight and becomes stronger.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Great example of that is Kureha from After School Nightmare, I kinda disliked her at the start, but then she actually became excellent and strong character. (As expected from Mizushiro Setona, exceptional mangaka).

I hate when girls are stupid and can not do anything for themselves. I just want to punch them sometimes.
Nov 10, 2010 12:26 PM
Aug 2007
I'm reading quite often here that people find it annoying that a girl is physically weak. However, I think it's even more grating that women are considered as intellectually weak. After all, look at Death Note and Code Geass, and similar such anime. WHO is the mastermind protagonist behind all the plotting? It's always the GUY.

Lelouch is physically the weakest character of Code Geass but he kicks butt when it comes to strategy. I find intellectual battles to be absolutely awesome, and I love intellectual characters as the main protagonist/antagonist, but there are virtually NO FEMALES fulfilling this role.
SonnyGotenNov 10, 2010 5:17 PM
Jan 16, 2011 12:56 AM

Mar 2010
SonnyGoten said:
I'm reading quite often here that people find it annoying that a girl is physically weak. However, I think it's even more grating that women are considered as intellectually weak. After all, look at Death Note and Code Geass, and similar such anime. WHO is the mastermind protagonist behind all the plotting? It's always the GUY.

Lelouch is physically the weakest character of Code Geass but he kicks butt when it comes to strategy. I find intellectual battles to be absolutely awesome, and I love intellectual characters as the main protagonist/antagonist, but there are virtually NO FEMALES fulfilling this role.

Well, in a way, Balalaika from Black Lagoon actually IS female evil mastermind behind almost everything (I absolutely love her), but then again, BL isn't sbout intellectual battles. You're right, I hate it when women in anime are intellectually weak.
Jan 17, 2011 2:47 AM

Jan 2011
Female characters that rely too much on Male characters, I'm not a fan of it.

I also don't really like shy female anime characters.
Apr 20, 2011 2:35 PM
Dec 2010
they're always so weak and stupid! and whenever they're getting attacked they expect the man guy to defend them and get attacked! (idiots)
Jun 13, 2011 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
zareba said:
I agree with everyone. But, I like some anime where the girl starts off weak and maybe starts to fight and becomes stronger.

yeah i think that's fine as well as long as she isn't completely dominated by a male protagonist
Jan 26, 2012 4:36 AM

Jun 2008
*scrolls down the posts*

Yeah, because being a tomboy automatically makes a girl better than any other female, and any tomboy obviously knows how to use guns. /sarcasm

Some tomboys are pretty cool and nice, but I've encountered a few (both IRL and in anime) that are far louder, more arrogant, and less likeable than others, non-tomboish girls. Therefore, claiming that "tomboys > all" is total bullshit.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Sep 1, 2012 11:46 AM

Apr 2011
I never hate the girls themselves. Never. I only place the blame on the author/mangaka/etc for writing them badly. But things that I hate being done to girls in anime... I want to say something unusual so even though this isn't the worst thing people do to female characters, I hate when they are given fewer lines than male counterparts without reason.

If you watch for it, you'll notice that when say, a husband and wife are introduced the husband will likely do all of the talking and the wife will say very little in comparison (and on top of that she usually only speaks to him). The same thing happens with male and female characters who aren't married, of course. This is something that isn't just an anime thing, though. Even otherwise rather feminist writers do this (I actually noticed it for the first time in Kate Beaton's otherwise fabulous webcomics). It's a really minor thing in comparison to what else has been mentioned by others, but whenever I notice a Suspiciously Silent Female Character, it makes me sooo mad.

Oh, I thought of another thing. Lesbian characters falling for dudes (usually a main character of the "insert your face here" variety). Seriously? :| Stop that. Not that I'm opposed to bisexual characters (I'm bisexual) but I think the difference between a "lesbian conversion" and a thoughtful representation of a bisexual character is pretty distinct.
Sep 1, 2012 3:36 PM

Apr 2011
SonnyGoten said:

Oh yeah, the sexist way the Death Note creators treated Misa (and Takada and Naomi) pissed me off. I still love Misa though, despite their best attempts to make her unpopular! In her defense, she was pretty smart, like when she took the initiative during the 3rd Kira arc. And she's hilarious, and she even bosses Light around when she first meets him ("I'm gonna be your girlfriend!" "No" "YES" "Okay but I'll date other girls to divert suspicion" "HELL NO"). I've got a thing for liking unpopular female characters, haha.

I haven't finished the show yet (slowpoke) but this exact thing is why I LOVE Yuno so much in Mirai Nikki. The show is pretty similar to Death Note but it basically has two main protagonists, one male and one female (even though technically the dude is the main character) and Yuno is the badass one with great intuition, brains, guts, etc. Of course, she is motivated by crazed love, so she's not quite the perfect feminist character, but I still think she's great.
Sep 15, 2012 12:42 PM
Dec 2011
i hate when they act all sweet and innocent to get a guy to help them out
and they are all ohno someone hrlp me
ya know?
Sep 19, 2012 3:52 PM

Oct 2010
Gigantic boobs + tiny brain = The most popular girl in anime industry.
What I hate the most in anime girls(most of them) is their personality, numb and sentimental.
This combination makes the most useless character in an anime yet it's very popular.
I also hate girls who act sexy(fan service) while the guy just gives the "obvious" laugh which is very annoying.
Sep 19, 2012 3:59 PM

Oct 2010
SonnyGoten said:

I have actually seen quite many animes in which the girl is intellectually stronger.
I think Shagukan no Shana is a good example for that in which the female lead is both intellectually and physically stronger then the lead male.
But I agree with your POV, you don't have to be strong to win a fight, you must have brains.
Yet still, the most annoying thing for anime, at least for me is the clothes, specially the skirts.
Sep 20, 2012 11:50 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
I don't really mind anime girls that are weak, as long as they have a sense of individuality in them that separates them from girls that have to depend on a man for their problems. Chihiro is a pretty good example of this, from Spirited Away just to have a framework of what I'm talking about.
Sep 23, 2012 8:11 PM
Sep 2009
Cry a lot (or Easily).
RemuresuNov 5, 2015 11:03 PM
Oct 2, 2012 12:28 AM
Aug 2011
Haha same. I disliked it when anime girls needs to be rescued all the time. Or they are either stupid, weak, or annoying etc. and people starts hating on them. And now "most" guys in real life would think most girls are weak because of what they see in shows they watch. And girls in real life would think that they should just btch around and wait for there ass to be save from the guy. I don't mind if there are some weak anime girls but I just hate how people in real life would view them real....
Aug 11, 2013 5:03 AM

Aug 2011
I don't mind girly girl characters as long as they are written in a way that doesn't just make it seem like "hurr durr wimmins cant do enything".

As an example, Nagisa from Clannad is one of my favourite characters because I find shyness to be adorable, and her character was well done. She was a naturally ill person so she had no choice but to rely on others, and those around her were more than willing. She still tried to be strong though, even if she was very weak. Even after she was held back because she had too many sick days she still held on and tried to finish school. While Tomoya did act as her "Knight in Shining Armor" it felt more like he just cared that much about her, rather than thought she needed help because she was a weak girl. I could find some more examples but I'd say that's a really good one.
Aug 12, 2013 7:56 AM

Jul 2013
I dislike those 2 dimensional anime girls particularly in shoujo who think her love interest is the centre of her universe and has no other interest but her love interest(anime example, the heroine of say I love you,don't remember her name) or everything that she does, she has with him in mind (example of anime would be kotoko from Itazura na kiss).I rather a shoujo heroine who actually are independent and have dreams to pursue independently of the guy.
I've also started to dislike the female types who physically/emotionally abuse the main male character of the show contstantly as if the male character is her punching bag
...yes sakura i'm looking at you.

I also hate those female types (action/shounen) who are actually strong but the moment the guy shows up/is present it's as if she can't do anything so she hides behind her boy friend while he 'saves' her and yes I'm my gaze is boring into you Asuna.

Edit: Oh yes I also forgot,I hate those anime females who seem like all the nutrients flow to their boobs,you know those types.The ones who are the complete airheads and their character doesn't develop any farther because their sole purpose is for fan service and comedic relief.
Incr3dibl3Aug 12, 2013 8:04 AM
Oct 25, 2013 11:30 AM

May 2010
The root of one type of anime girl I dislike is the kind of anime male I dislike and those of the latter I despise are those sexually immature ones that do nothing but drool and gawk at the girls with the biggest busts, define girls by their measurements, and have no other aspirations than to be the center of a harem where said girls flock to him like he deserves it...which brings me to the kind of anime girl I despise the most is the one who overly flaunts herself to these loser males and these types tend to be worshiped as perfect goddesses who have no flaws whatsoever to their character. (Ex. Rias of Highschool DxD)

Another one is those walking fanservice girls who are subservient to the male character written as her love interest and are always talking about their breasts looking bigger than the last time they looked at them. (Ex. Miu of Hagure Yuusha no Estetica)
Nov 1, 2015 10:11 AM

Oct 2015
kanon-chan said:
The root of one type of anime girl I dislike is the kind of anime male I dislike and those of the latter I despise are those sexually immature ones that do nothing but drool and gawk at the girls with the biggest busts, define girls by their measurements, and have no other aspirations than to be the center of a harem where said girls flock to him like he deserves it...which brings me to the kind of anime girl I despise the most is the one who overly flaunts herself to these loser males and these types tend to be worshiped as perfect goddesses who have no flaws whatsoever to their character. (Ex. Rias of Highschool DxD)

Another one is those walking fanservice girls who are subservient to the male character written as her love interest and are always talking about their breasts looking bigger than the last time they looked at them. (Ex. Miu of Hagure Yuusha no Estetica)

what you said+
- blushing when it happens all the time
- tsundere developing into shy, submissive characters (a soft core doesn't imply shyness or submissiveness)
- when the only purpose she has is to be saved
- when she's half naked most of the time even in action/fight scenes where noone would do that, in otherwise serious shows (Guilty Crown for instance).
- high-pitched voices (exceptions are okay, but this goes too far most of the time)
granuliNov 1, 2015 10:49 AM
Jan 16, 2016 4:56 AM

Oct 2013
I dislike how overly submissive and weak some of these anime girls are. That doesn't mean I hate all girly anime character, some of them just turn me off.
Jan 19, 2016 4:36 AM

Jul 2015
Forced affections for a character, easily the most annoying thing.

Too often I've seen female characters fall head over heels for a guy for basically no reason at all, or at least not a good believable reason. This problem is obviously very common in Harem anime, because they don't wanna spend the time it takes to develop why every girl is obsessed with this guy, but even love one on one and love triangle romances suffer from this as well. It's hard to feel a character is genuine if their emotions are so manufactured.
May 25, 2016 11:18 AM

May 2013
It's great to see a corner of anime fans exist that care about feminism & good female characters/representation!

A lot of good points here - I would argue however that a character being used to provide fanservice and being a great character are not mutually exclusive - although its not often the case I think a great female character can still be great even if saddled with fanservice. That said it'd be nice if good female characters could be the rule & not the exception.
Nov 29, 2016 5:44 AM

Jun 2011
Ummm... I guess the female characters I have disliked have usually just sadly had the glory of what should have been thier's stolen from them.. nothing to do with how girly they are... but usually just being relegated to a love interest decoration...who maybe has healing powers...? Gets and development stolen by men. I don't mind her being a healer and not being that strong but care more if her character growth becomes uninteresting and stunted like Asuna...

I guess I don't mind characters like Misa from Death Note though because the development made sense for her. I don't need all women in anime to be strong but I would like their stories to be completed and with some meaning like Misa instead of Asuna.

Obviously more characters like Saint Just would be great but we can't have everything. And Saint Just was very weak. Wilting under the pressure. But I guess I enjoy those stories.

Personally I don't like excessively strong characters... but with a favorite male like Shinji from Evangelion, it is to be expected. I think Misato from Evangelion has the best mix of strong and weak traits I look for. I just like characters to be relatable.
Energetic-NovaNov 29, 2016 5:48 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Characters/Manga you think should be added

granuli - Jan 31, 2016

15 by toldurm »»
Jun 27, 2020 2:07 PM

» why do you like tomboy characters?

Y-elf - Aug 4, 2008

46 by santk »»
Oct 12, 2017 8:16 PM

Poll: » The kick-ass girly girl.

SonnyGoten - Feb 2, 2011

5 by Energetic-Nova »»
Nov 29, 2016 5:25 AM

Poll: » Who is the most manly, unfeminine, and tomboyish female character in anime?

EtherealMerc - Jun 19, 2009

38 by KelsiFinn »»
May 21, 2016 8:31 PM

» Your favorite anime with anti-stereotype or feminism compatible love stories

granuli - Nov 1, 2015

1 by granuli »»
Jan 14, 2016 2:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.