Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2008 3:05 PM
Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This anime ended up much better than I had expected at the start.

There was at least one glaringly false note.

Also, in view of the very final scene, it was interesting to reflect that
formosanSep 5, 2008 4:20 PM
Sep 4, 2008 4:20 PM

Apr 2007
I'm not sure if this should be in a spoiler tag, but I'll put it in one anyway.
This is just what came to mind after reading your thoughts about Pricilla.

I am a little distracted right now with another series so this may not be worded the way I wanted :/
Sep 5, 2008 4:12 PM
Aug 2008
Momo-Hime said:
I'm not sure if this should be in a spoiler tag, but I'll put it in one anyway.
This is just what came to mind after reading your thoughts about Pricilla.

I am a little distracted right now with another series so this may not be worded the way I wanted :/

I think your wording was fine. Actually, your interpretation works pretty well. I'm going to modify my original comment.

Also, was anyone else reminded of Argento Soma with the ending?
Dec 22, 2009 1:25 PM

Oct 2007
To be honest i like the ending but i am pretty sad,
because i loved these pure Feelings from Pricilla.
She was attatched to him, followed him blindly,
told him her feelings.

I didnt really thought that he would be interested at all first,
but i have totally fallen for her Character so i wished that he would
give in to her and then the story made me expecting to much, but
as he said he definatelly would give her an Answer after he comes back
i were like [wow is he really thinking of giving her a chance?
the quick remembering of her name was also something which could be interpret
in that direction, but then at the end i was huge dissapointed,
not that he did answer with no, he didnt care to answer at all!
Why? Why the hell did she become such a sidecast at the end? :(

Thats my only sad point about this overall very good Anime ,)
Jul 15, 2010 5:31 AM

Oct 2008
Did Carmen just confess her feelings as well?

But yeah this anime was enjoyable. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 19, 2010 1:22 PM

Sep 2009
Why are we using spoiler tags? Anyone reading a discussion of the last episode should have watched it first.

To me, Pricilla's feelings were never rly noteworthy.
Seemed like a crush she could develop on just abt anyone who made the right impression.
Wendy needed to be on the brink of losing Van to feel jealous to realize her own feelings.
I think his telling her she looked taller was a way of acknowledging her coming into womanhood but its nice that he din jump her right away haha.
Funny that he wanders into her place (love how huge Kame has grown) and sweet that he has the picture in his coat.

Also, WTF with the giant rock falling on them O_O srsly!?
Nov 4, 2010 1:53 PM

Jun 2008
I never once thought that Wendy had any romantic feelings toward Van, he was more like a friend/companion. Pricilla on the other hand did share romantic feelings toward him. I don't think Van felt the same way about her, but she definetly liked Van. She was pissed at the very end when he left without telling her, making it pretty obvious to me she cared a lot.

I think there just isn't a replacement for Helena in Van's mind.

But Carmen did like Van, maybe more so than Pricilla.

enjoyable episode, liked it a lot.
Jan 8, 2011 11:39 PM
Jan 2011
Testament956 said:
I never once thought that Wendy had any romantic feelings toward Van, he was more like a friend/companion.

Remember, though, that she was always very jealous when other women paid attention to Van. Even as early as episode 2, she was upset when she saw him joking with Carmen. I agree that Wendy's observing Van with Pricilla probably helped her realize how much she cared about him, but I think that the real moment when she falls in love with him happened back in the episode where they were stuck in the abandoned town, while she was sick. In the narration at the end of episode 15, she talks about how that was when she saw the real Van, and she realized how "precious" he was to her. So, yeah, I do think she loved him.

What I'm curious about is whether other people think that Van was falling for Wendy in the last few episodes. (I mean, before those last few minutes. I do think that the very end of the series suggests that they'll be a couple!) I think there was a lot more ambiguity about Van's feelings for Wendy than there was about Wendy's feelings for Van. He cared about her very much, but it doesn't seem as clear in what sense he cared for her.

Mouse2010Feb 17, 2011 1:22 PM
Apr 19, 2011 8:00 PM

May 2010
What an enjoyable series this was. It's kind of funny how Michael and Fasalina just died like that. Good riddance though since I hated them. It would have been nice to see an epilogue on how everyone was doing but the one on Wendy was okay. Plus, HOLY CRAP how did the turtle get so big!

All in all, this was a great series with some flaws but nonetheless great.
Apr 23, 2011 7:54 PM
Aug 2008
Hmmm... I would have liked to see more Wendy and Van time, but thats ok. I liked how it ended with the two of them finally seeing each other again. On a side note- I kinda get the feeling that Wendy looked like Helena (maybe thats why she had such an effect on Van). I enjoyed this anime, it wasn't a struggle to get through. I was a little worried cuz the same guy did S-Cry-Ed, and that was definitely a hard anime to get through... for me anyway.
Apr 24, 2011 12:56 AM
Jan 2011
Okami_Amaterasu said:
Hmmm... I would have liked to see more Wendy and Van time, but thats ok. I liked how it ended with the two of them finally seeing each other again.

Definitely agree on both accounts. I would have liked a little more interaction there at the end, but I'm very glad that it ended with them coming together again in a way that paralleled the beginning, where he comes in looking for food and finds Wendy instead.
Jun 22, 2012 12:23 AM

Nov 2011
LOL, final scene was so priceless. Anyways, great series..and you owe Priscilla a date still, Van :>
Jun 22, 2012 4:36 PM
Dec 2010
Nice episode, i kinda expected something more then winning coz Van is supposed to be stupid haha but it somewhat worked together in the end.

I appreciate "after few years" part , i like those kind of hints on how it is with characters after the main story.
Didn't expect turtle to become this huge haha , it would be nice if they also hinted if Van and Wendy ended up together in romantic way after all. Well i think they did, he just didn't want to force clueless kid to marry someone weird as him but after those mentioned few years its different thing :)

Overall
Very nice show i pretty much liked it , I love the way Van's character presents itself its very different from typical anime protagonists.
9/10
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Dec 2, 2012 12:06 AM
Jan 2012
i liked it but the one thing that got to me was what happened to van and his wife when the claw guy showed up at their wedding WTF why did he do that for anyway I would have liked to know why and for all those people out there that wanted to know why he doesn’t go out with any of the girls is because in a term his a rock he would not get involved with anyone but his first and last love
Dec 14, 2012 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
So, in the end everyone had feelings for Van...what a lucky guy lol. Anyway, the show itself was awesome. I loved the amazing armor fights. And the ending was good too, even though I wanted to see Van and Wendy getting together. But the meeting in the end might be a hint to it, right? All in all, it was definitely one of the best shows i've seen in quite a while.

Jan 4, 2013 6:36 PM
Aug 2012
a prtty damn good show the wendy and van think was obv from the start tho she was to young for him throught the series she grows and at the end hes stunned by how much shes grown and i believe they wld have had a chance after tht hinted at in the end credits when they sit down for some rlly spicy food.

that turtle is epic so funny when van sees him.
when micheal got squished was jst hillarious iv not laughed so hard in at least a yr
Jan 22, 2013 1:39 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This series started pretty slow and I almost dropped it, but then it kept getting better and better. They did a great job in creating some really annoying antagonists and The Claw was a great villain. I'm so happy Van and co. took care of them and there was no crappy "lets understand each other" type of ending.

I'm surprised so many people get into "who Van ended up with". As far as I can see, he was very much a complete simpleton and not really the kind of guy who would make a good couple. And just like Spike in Cowboy Bebop, his heart would always belong to the one woman. Nevertheless, it was cool that he ended up seeing Wendy again some years later.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 18, 2013 4:50 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty good story, some annoying overused tropes (destroy the world to save it) but overall it was fairly well written but... if their gonna make an epilogue they should make sure they show everybody instead of half-assed like they did. No bonus points for you.

I really didn't want Fasalina to die, death is the easy way out. She should have suffered more to atone for how annoying she was but I guess she just couldn't handle reality. Yes I think it was suicide.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Dec 26, 2013 4:17 AM
Nov 2013
Hey, So i have only one thing concerning the Priscilla ending is that locket which opened in one of the ending episodes. It was also shown at the end with Pricilla looking at it. BTW the picture was Van and her (?-?) Not to sure seemed liked they met before and is why Van was able to remember her name Let me Know our thoughts
Jan 5, 2014 10:49 AM
Jan 2011
Curry_Udon said:
. BTW the picture was Van and her (?-?) Not to sure seemed liked they met before and is why Van was able to remember her name Let me Know our thoughts

Remember the group picture that someone took in episode 21 or so? I think what happened is that Pricilla cut out the part where she was sitting next to Van and put just that part in the locket. I don't think that she knew Van from the past.
Mar 27, 2014 11:56 PM
Jun 2013
Overall enjoyed the series. The rock falling and killing those two had me laughing hard. It was so cartoony but they deserve to be axed.It was kinda dirt for van to say jack to priscilla but I guess he just wasint that interested. I find it odd that wendy grew but van didint age at all. It was still nice that they got back together in the end though I would have liked if they showed more after the gasp. Guess they just left it to us to guess and im sure since wendy is older now she will try her hardest to be with him hell shes been making him food for year just waiting for him.

The one thing that bugged me is we never got an answer about why the claw killed vans wife. He just showed up crying and sliced them up. It was just random. I did like how van didint have some heart to heart with him in the end. He just killed him and walked away he did his mission.Overall very enjoyable show just wish we had a little more of an epilog after the time jump besides that picture.

Fun fact david vincent the voice of Van did a marriage proposal in the scene where van and wendy first meet.
souledge94Mar 28, 2014 9:00 AM
Apr 19, 2019 1:08 AM

Oct 2010
Nice ending, glad the claw died like that, I hated him. Fasalina and that stupid brother deserved more suffering, wendy should have shot him in the head. In the end van and wendy kinda got together, pricilla was cool all in all. The mecha fight was terrific.
Aug 6, 2020 8:31 PM

Mar 2016
This was a fun, nonsensical story about single-minded revenge up against single-minded idealism. What Yukiko said about the meaningfulness of a 'normal' life might seem uncharacteristic for a show where the protagonist and antagonist operate on the most extreme and (I think purposefully) cliche anime logic. But a desire for that is the driving force behind a lot of the character's actions, and of course that makes it an important aspect of the plot (like why else would there be so many hometowns just getting absolutely destroyed?) When a simple life is taken away from people, it leads to desperation and chaos.

It was satisfying that he got his revenge with no bullshit. Anime doesn't usually let that happen, and it being so straightforward was fitting for the kind of show this was. I'd call the script 'old-school' if that makes sense. Not really seeing the connection to Cowboy Bebop or Trigun as others claim, the inspiration for this definitely comes from old episodic anime.

Also, the Volkein's design was really fucking cool.
syncrogazerAug 7, 2020 7:56 AM
May 31, 2022 5:33 PM

Mar 2013
Absolutely loved it from start to finish. Wonderful world, story, characters and mecha approach.
I'm so glad I played SRW and got to know of this show's existence.

10/10.
Jul 13, 2022 3:17 PM

Aug 2018
My impression of the first episode was a very positive one. I loved the bombastic style, the wild west aesthetic and the lone wanderer seeking revenge narrative. Animation was well above average and character design was on-point. Wendy's character design in particular! But two or three episodes later, the "monster of the week" episodic format became stale and boring.

As expected, it gradually turned plot-focused and then, I started enjoying it much more. But still, the story is pretty damn silly and there's a lot of important details that were never explained. Good character dynamics could compensate for this deficiency but most of the main cast had very simplistic, one-note personalities. To make matters worse, the enjoyable Van x Wendy dynamic was spoiled with the sudden inclusion of a handful of new teammates. Wendy and Van were then pushed to the background in favor of much less interesting characters.

I really wanted to like this anime more than I did. But I can't help but shake the feeling that it squandered so much amazing potential.

7/10

epidemia78Jul 13, 2022 3:25 PM
Nov 2, 2022 1:36 PM
Apr 2020
Not my favorite ending, No character development for Van was a disappointment
Jul 3, 2023 6:21 PM

Oct 2019
finished last ep of gun x sword
Im quite conflicted by this ending. The end stuff made me laugh. I liked how carlos response to Priscilla was like "What about me? Will i do?" Carmen managed to confess to Van and Wendy, quite quickly, met Van once again. And god damn that turtle grew.
My complaints or observations:
What the hell is Overflow? what type of bullshit last minute schtick they add into this.
I wish I knew why The Claw even killed Elena I know he was a crazy man but still, what gave him reason to|| kill her. Granted, the story purpose is not to really know his reasoning, just to give us a reason to latch onto Van as his loved one died and he managed to accomplsih his goal which was brutal||. I'll admit I enjoyed the fighting and his CHESTO!
Also, really, Michael and Fasalina. Ya had to do them like that? Quite unsatisfactory. This ep pissed me off and made me laugh at the same time.
Lets get on with my review of the show. It had its moments. I enjoyed the times we did focus on the Claw and it was fun to see everyone gather together from past episodes to help out. I had a few laughs here. But I felt characters werent fleshed out much. They had cool designs and lil snippets of backstory but there needed to be more. I think OST was really fun. I also liked the character designs and enjoyed the fighting. I just think this end really mucked it for me. Imma give the show a 6.4/10.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Mar 19, 2:11 PM

Dec 2022
Improved as it went along, really. The first half was your standard western parody nonsense, but it did pick up once other characters started getting involved. I just wish the antagonists had more coherent motivations for their allegiances and motives beyond their vague proselytising.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gun X Sword Episode 25 Discussion

cantius - Jun 19, 2009

10 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 19, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Gun X Sword Episode 24 Discussion

cantius - Jun 19, 2009

12 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 19, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Gun X Sword Episode 22 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jul 15, 2010

10 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 19, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Gun X Sword Episode 20 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jul 15, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 19, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Gun X Sword Episode 19 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jul 15, 2010

8 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 19, 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.