Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 25, 2007 2:37 AM

Mar 2007
Odex's court order forcing Pacific Internet to give names of people who have downloaded anime illegally has failed. Judge Ernest Lau ruled that
Judge Ernest Lau said:
Only copyright owners - that is, the studios that made the anime - or an 'exclusive licensee' for the anime being downloaded, can take legal action under the Singapore Copyright Act.

Odex is a sub-licensee and had letters from rights owners authorising it to take action on their behalf, but the firm was neither a copyright owner or an 'exclusive licensee'.

An exclusive licensee has the sole right to distribute a product in a certain market.

By the sounds of it, Odex does not have the right to sue downloaders

Source: The Straits Times
Aug 25, 2007 3:43 AM

Jun 2007
Odex is appealing against this Court decision though.. However, it's good to see that at least this other Judge Mr Ernest Lau has the good sense to rule in favour of Pacific Net! Odex's actions has been questionable from the start & I think this Judge may be doubtful of their actual motive as well.
Aug 25, 2007 7:49 AM

Aug 2007
Or maybe he is one of the Downloaders O_o *GASP*

I didn't expect the part that the studio must have the 'exclusive license' or they created the anime would be the actual factors on the Judge decision. Well I guess it is great news for Singapore Anime Downloaders.
Aug 25, 2007 8:59 AM

Jul 2007
Yeah, hes probably one of the downloader! lol
Aug 25, 2007 11:52 AM

Jun 2007
theplayster said:
Or maybe he is one of the Downloaders O_o *GASP*

LMAO! xD he probably is hahahahahahaha!!!!

Aug 25, 2007 11:53 AM
Aug 2007
Odex are hungry wolves that has probally waiting for this chance to come sooner or later. talk about exploitation =3

and lol, they are the downloaders.
Aug 25, 2007 12:09 PM

Jan 2007
its good to see odex moving a step back, i dont want fellow anime fans to get in huge trouble.
Aug 25, 2007 12:47 PM

Jun 2007
I dunno, I wouldn't consider this good news industry wise, as it there is now no control over illegal bootlegs in singapore, which, only takes money away from all R1/2/3 companies
Aug 25, 2007 5:33 PM

May 2007
wtf...

sue downloaders?
woa. thats overreacting....
Aug 25, 2007 7:56 PM

Nov 2004
The funniest bit with this Singapore case is the news I've heard about the man behind it all known as Sing who is dubbed "the most hated man in Singapore"'s anime industry. Because not only does he do the suing he apparently gloated about it on forums in the most unprofessional way (not the exact words but imagine him saying he pwned the downloaders on forums you know).
Aug 25, 2007 11:00 PM

Jul 2007
Odex can't stop the one uploading the fansubs from overseas, so they start with the locals, which is the majority Anime fans in Singapore. Anyways just watch for the news in Yahoo, The Straits Times for more latest news.

More topics from this board

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 9 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
9 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 27 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
27 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

29 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
59 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
2 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.