Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 23, 2012 9:20 AM

May 2009
I prefer the old one >.<
Mar 23, 2012 9:28 AM
Jul 2009
doesn't matter what everyone says
i was overjoyed when the OVA was announced
i still reading the manga and I think it's good that they start where they left off.
maybe other people will know (buy and) watch the old serie.

And i must say I really missed all the master of Ryouzanpaku. THEY ARE AWESOME.
wish i had those as my masters.
Mar 23, 2012 9:41 AM

Jun 2011
How i missed this series i think that this OVA was great voices was a bit different but it still kept the same flavor as the original i really do hope it gets a new season after the OVAs are completed
Mar 23, 2012 10:02 AM

Jan 2008
Oh god, I don't think I can watch this OVA. Rie being Miu is just so weird. I'll try again later. The art looks like it has deteriorated too though it's just a OVA so I'm not too worried.
Mar 23, 2012 11:49 AM

Dec 2007
I think art and animation didnt change that much....only the coloring can make it look weird ....
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
Mar 23, 2012 11:51 AM

Apr 2010
Koyuki-Kakashi said:
I'm afraid many of the people who say that they don't like new Miu VA actually had their prejudices even before watching the OVA and with their bleary-eyed conviction, didn't actually pay attention to said VA performance.
I too wasn't happy with the choice of VA and I too had my prejudices before, but after hearing Kugimiya's performance and with the voices of possible female seiyuu(s) still on business in my mind, I consider the choice of Kugimiya as Miu's VA a conscious one.
On the Voice department I actually only have complaints about Kanou Sho's VA: Namikawa Daisuke is indeed one of the best out there, but between the range of voices he can do, I sincerely don't know how they thought this one would fit Sho.

Anyway it is still just an OVA, we can expect improvements in prevision of a 2nd series.

Still 9/10 from me

I believe it doesn't fit Miu at all.
Mar 23, 2012 12:33 PM
Mar 2012
Personally Let me make this clear to the people wondering about the good/villians people I personally think that they came in to introduce Yami and I think the creators are trying to see if we have an interest on it. Of course i would love to see and season 2
Mar 23, 2012 1:02 PM
May 2011
RoyalCrownVG said:
Personally Let me make this clear to the people wondering about the good/villians people I personally think that they came in to introduce Yami and I think the creators are trying to see if we have an interest on it. Of course i would love to see and season 2

if they wanted to create a lot of interest they should stick to the actual story, because its 100x better than anything they could think of.
Mar 23, 2012 1:38 PM

Dec 2011
Everything looks and sounds off. Still, I'd like a new series.
Mar 23, 2012 2:06 PM

Jan 2008
SLIPLV said:
Liked the episode, but seiyuu for Miu didn't really fit her.

agreed, Rie's voice doesn't really fit miu
Mar 23, 2012 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
SwordWielder said:
SLIPLV said:

I also agree with you both, even if she tries to sound like the old VA; her voice kind of sounds too childish to me when comparing to the older VA. Also if you compare the ova to the tv series the background sound and music is very different. That threw me way off more than the animation.
Mar 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Jun 2010
I started laughing uncontrollably when miu first spoke. I had no idea RIE was going to be the VA and... i feel REALLY uncomfortable. Ive seen too many rie characters, and most of what ive seen are all short tsundere type characters. It just doesn't fit.
Mar 23, 2012 5:05 PM
Jun 2011
shit voices......... but still Shigure Kosaka <3
Mar 23, 2012 5:50 PM
Mar 23, 2012 10:29 PM

Oct 2011
it was nice to see this show again after so long,i was realy anticipating this,i shoould red the manga if i was so excited for this XD
Mar 24, 2012 2:25 AM

Nov 2011
I thought Kugimiya Rie was fitting as Miu. Different, but fitting. As for the episode, I feel like there has been an episode like this already, with different characters. More of a refresher than anything.

More importantly, what the gloss? Did they wax the characters?
Mar 24, 2012 3:03 AM
Aug 2011
Chikage-Sama! 5/5 Even though she only appeared for like a fraction of a second. Was good to see Yomi. Next ova should at least show silhouettes of Yami's One Shadow Nine Fists
Mar 24, 2012 10:35 AM

Sep 2010
Well, that was not a cool OVA to begin with. I mean, after that many years passed since the end of TV anime, this OVA should have been made much better to attract audience to watch the new serialization - if any exist ever.

BTW, how many chapters did they include? I have read those parts some time ago, and when I checked just now, I had the feeling that they skipped some fighting scenes within the dojo.

Anyway, hope the next one will be better and soon we will see a new TV version ^_^
Mar 24, 2012 11:59 AM

Feb 2009
^Pretty sure the machine training up until Miu attacking Kenichi is around 2 chapters. The two enemies and the dojo attack is filler.
Mar 24, 2012 3:45 PM

Sep 2008
belatkuro said:
^Pretty sure the machine training up until Miu attacking Kenichi is around 2 chapters. The two enemies and the dojo attack is filler.

of course is a filler, as if the ryusanpaktou master would even allow a scar on the dojo by those shitty oponents...
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Mar 24, 2012 4:35 PM
May 2011
spineslayer said:
SwordWielder said:
SLIPLV said:

I also agree with you both, even if she tries to sound like the old VA; her voice kind of sounds too childish to me when comparing to the older VA. Also if you compare the ova to the tv series the background sound and music is very different. That threw me way off more than the animation.

She kind of sounded like her until she spoke for longer than 2 seconds, then it just sounds really bad. Sounded to much like shana.

I thought the elders new va wasn't bad though, still not as great as the old one, but maybe thats just because i just finished rewatching the series a few months ago.
TylerrMar 24, 2012 4:38 PM
Mar 24, 2012 6:00 PM

Jan 2008
Alright, ended up struggling through a bit since a lot of the voices sounded unfamiliar and didn't seem to fit as I remembered.

First thing I have to say that surprised me. Censorship. There was none. I didn't know the series got to that point. I know it always had the female characters like never wearing bras or anything but to the point of nudity, that's something new.

Anyways, it was nice to watch Kenichi fight again, overall, it was alright, nothing too amazing or nothing mind-blowing.

I personally do hope they do somehow continue the series after the OVA's.
Mar 24, 2012 8:12 PM

Jul 2007
The overall voice quality seemed quite poor.
Even Tomokazu's voice was a bit off, he sounded more like Chichiri from Fushigi Yuugi than Kenichi from the tv series.

Well, I have already read past this part in the manga. At the very least, this has motivated me to catch up on some chapters.
Mar 24, 2012 10:55 PM

May 2010
belatkuro said:

No nipples from Shigure :(

Someone has an untrained eye... ;)

http://aisle-h.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/kenichi.jpg

I know fans have waited a long time for new story material but like some people already said it makes no sense to rush into the new arc and then possibly never continue it. These OVAs are sort of a test to see if a new season is worth making. I don't think Brains Base has ever made a super long running series before. Any long running anime these days is pretty risky unfortunately. :(

Though I do agree these OVAs could've actually adapted some of the short manga stories that actually happened in the Ragnarok arc but got cut from the anime

e.g.
Going to the mountain to train with Naoki Yamamoto and Taiki Yamamoto. Naoki is just a little kid but has the same skill level as Kenichi.

Or the chapter where Kenichi has to get Mizunuma to stop training at a dangerous dojo where the students are taught to winner no matter what. His master is Alan Subishi who is secretly a huge fan of Shio Sakaki. There's an entertaining scene where Sakaki defeats the entire dojo before they change their ways.

I liked the OVA. As for the new voices I guess they were ok but nothing I'd get super attached to. I LOVED the dub for the TV series and as long as the same English VAs return someday when these OVAs (and possibly a new season) get licensed I'm happy! :)
Jackson_HMar 24, 2012 10:59 PM
Mar 24, 2012 11:21 PM

Sep 2008
Mamiko Noto was absolutely elegant in this episode.
Her slender body shimmered in the open hotspring while she felled those lackeys.

This was a fun episode though, totally loved how the masters were going to wing it while their eyes glowed.

RieKugi ruined Miu though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2012 7:05 AM

Mar 2009
a filler huh... i thought it will be something great~ its OK though~

hope they start a new season of kenichi~
Mar 25, 2012 4:26 PM

Aug 2008
QUARITY release, but I did enjoy it. A second season would be nice, Kenichi is one of the few (maybe 3?) shounens that are not godawful
Mar 26, 2012 8:33 AM

Jan 2010
I would like to see TV series ><"""

This ova...not bad,
but I want more ~ e ... T_____T
Mar 27, 2012 12:31 PM

Nov 2011
Action-cool
Drawings-still great
story-not bad for an ova
Ecchi-OVERLOAD!

Mar 27, 2012 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
Kvakond said:
QUARITY release, but I did enjoy it. A second season would be nice, Kenichi is one of the few (maybe 3?) shounens that are not godawful

Lol cool signature btw!

Mar 27, 2012 10:10 PM
Feb 2011
i loved the graphics of the original, and when ii saw the preview at first i didn't like it but thought i could get use to it. well my assumption was correct to not like the new animation style. Also the whole feel to the anime doesn't even feel the same as the original. Don't get me wrong i love kenichi i've reread the manga at least 3 times and seen the original series about 4
Mar 28, 2012 3:08 PM
Jan 2008
dang I'm so tired of Rie kugimiya's voice. her voice doesn't fit miu at all. I rather they use a someone else or even a new VA. anyways.this ova is alright. tv series was better though.
Mar 28, 2012 3:17 PM

Nov 2010
xhx said:
dang I'm so tired of Rie kugimiya's voice. her voice doesn't fit miu at all.
I couldnt disagree more. all bias aside I think her voice fits Miu perfectly. But then again i didnt watch the Kenichi anime subbed so idk how she used to sound in Japanese. But damn i hate Kenichi's Japanese VA.
Anyways this OVA was pretty enjoyable. some decent action and fanservice. tho im still disappointed they didnt just continue the anime..
Mar 30, 2012 10:55 AM
Mar 2012
i liked how it almost left off from when the series ended, makes me want to read the manga =p anyhow even if it wasn't in English i still enjoyed it a lot :)
Apr 2, 2012 4:05 PM
Jul 2009
Those guys got beat pretty easily, but we didn't see that group of 8 fight.. So I'm guessing they'll be in the next ep.
Apr 2, 2012 7:35 PM

Sep 2008
If you were a fan of the original series, and watched it subbed, then no matter who they get to replace Miu and Hayato's voice actors you will not be satisfied. Honestly just gonna have to suck it and take what you get for their replacements as the originals, in all respect, are not gonna rise from the grave to reprise their roles.

That being said, I don't really care who does the Japanese voices because I think this show is one of those few times where the English cast overall was better than the Japanese cast. Especially Apachai and Shigure.
Apr 2, 2012 11:57 PM

Nov 2010
either they are waaaaaaayyy to old or they didnt practice b4 making the ova everything seems so weird.
Apr 3, 2012 1:09 AM

Jan 2011
I for one did not even notice Miu's va until near the end of ep (one of Rie's signature hissy fits).

Am I correct in remembering no nudity in the tv series? Those 2 surprises in the onsen had me taken aback.

edit

Also, I'm pretty sure I watched this with mostly english vas back in the day, so I wouldn't remember the original japanese ones.
Apr 12, 2012 7:40 AM
Aug 2008
the change in mius voice was huge
I was afraid they could change Apachai but no problem there (yeah! )
at first notices something weird in Elder but Mius voice change was obius
she dosent have her caracteristic "desuwa~~"
Apr 22, 2012 3:21 PM
Jul 2010
Why did they make this shitty filler?

Edit - I said that when I watched like 8 minutes of it, it was getting so boring it was a recap, but when it got down to business and the fighting starting happening I kinda enjoyed it, though there are so many chapters in the manga, how come they couldn't cover a short arc? the anime covered 143 chapters and there is 473 chapters out right now, I don't feel like reading over 300 chapters of a shounen manga right now lol. They should have did a short little arc from the manga or cover a little bit of the next arc after the ryozanpaku saga..We really need an anime, kenichi did decent on tv plus there is so much material we have that we won't have fillers for a long time.
VongolaXEspadaApr 22, 2012 4:36 PM
May 1, 2012 3:06 PM

May 2010
I enjoyed the OVA a lot. Its great to be watching Kenichi again. Now as for the VAs I had no problems with them, although i will say that im not as familiar with japanese VAs. I think it was a great idea to make the OVA a filler. To kind of test voices out and get an idea of the audiences feedback, so they don't mess up any of the actual canon.
May 2, 2012 6:35 PM
May 2012
I don't know why people are complaining about Rei being Miu's new voice, yeah its a surprise but I thought she was great at it. I noticed that her voice changed little despite it. Plus I love the OVA a lot cause of the new design, graphics, and how the coloring of the characters made everything pop more. I know that the OVA had about half canon and the other half filler, but I liked it cause it also showed the YOMI members like Shou, Plus, it's kinda weird that his voice is soft since his voice actor does Ulquiora Shiffer from bleach. I just Know that the second OVA in May will be just as great if not better. Also, the ratings for this OVA is pretty good right now: a 7.81/10, thats not half bad if I say so myself.
Jun 10, 2012 4:59 PM

Aug 2011
The one i saw Shigure had nipples!
hahaha i liked the fight scenes and the animation is better then the tv series so i enjoyed it.
Jun 21, 2012 11:38 AM
May 2012
It was awesome OVA, the new animation was alot better and I'm hoping they satrt a new anime series from it. Also when does the second one come out.

Jul 17, 2012 8:05 PM

Apr 2011
This was great, just as the story was. I like the fight in the middle of the two trains the most. Yeah there was a lot of intro time and introduction to the characters maybe unnecessary but some good fan service and fight scenes.
Aug 27, 2012 2:03 PM

Feb 2009
After the long wait, this was a disappointment. The second one was an improvement though.
Is there another word for synonym?
Sep 14, 2012 7:59 PM

Mar 2010
is it worth watching ???
Sep 18, 2012 7:09 AM

Jan 2008
I will get really depressed if they are going to have this level of fanservice/the level the manga is now, if they are going to continue the anime :/ (havent touched the manga on a year since I got fed up with all the ecchi shit the crammed in more and more of)
Feb 11, 2014 1:50 PM

Dec 2012
I honestly liked the OVA although they were "filler enemies" , and i didn't even notice the difference of Miu's VA.

I hope they keep this up to continue animating the story.
Feb 17, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2013
yeah, I was disappointed by the filler, but man is it good to see Kenichi animated again! I'm lovin the soundtrack. This show definitely has some of the best fights of any anime series I've ever seen.
Love and Peace!!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Will Funimation pick this up?

DNES15 - Sep 22, 2014

8 by Bionicman76 »»
Feb 27, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi OVA Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2014

16 by InfiniteVoId_9 »»
Jun 29, 2023 8:24 AM

Poll: » Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi OVA Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2014

32 by candybar824 »»
Apr 6, 2023 1:48 PM

Poll: » Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi OVA Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2014

8 by dingdongbois »»
Jun 1, 2022 1:45 PM

Poll: » Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi OVA Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2013

20 by dingdongbois »»
Jun 1, 2022 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.