Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 17, 2012 2:51 PM

Dec 2010
About Kagenui's blabber about philosophy. Both of those chinese philosophers that Kagenui mentioned are Confucianist. Confucius, just laid out teachings for social order but didn't ponder on human nature so there was a dichotomy, or a division between 2 school of thought that interpret the nature of man, Mencius and Shun Tzu; the former believes that there is an inherent goodness among us but because of external factors, we are influence and eventually become evil, thus, we need education to nurture the four seeds, namely: Compassion, Shame, Respect, Knowledge of Right and Wrong. On the other hand, the later believes that all men are evil in nature and that we don't have 4 seeds in us, however, he believes that it is also education(environment and those who learn from it) that can make us good for with education we realize our true nature and we are able to correct it, and to finally, to do away with it.

Overall, Mencius think that men are naturally inclined to do good, but Shun Tzu argues that men are evil, and goodness is a conscious activity derived from learning our evil nature because it is the way to relate with others.

Well, that's just my interpretation about those 2 - to each his own.
Mar 17, 2012 2:57 PM

Sep 2008
awsome sequel, no complains for me 10/10

and happily waiting the koyomi vamp arc =)
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Mar 17, 2012 2:58 PM

Oct 2011
Great series ,loved the teen Shinobu ,Gahara looks like Kanbaru with short hair.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2012 2:59 PM
Jul 2010
Zero_r2 said:
awsome sequel, no complains for me 10/10

and happily waiting the koyomi vamp arc =)

Especially with Shinobu~

IAlready said:
About Kagenui's blabber about philosophy. Both of those chinese philosophers that Kagenui mentioned are Confucianist. Confucius, just laid out teachings for social order but didn't ponder on human nature so there was a dichotomy, or a division between 2 school of thought that interpret the nature of man, Mencius and Shun Tzu; the former believes that there is an inherent goodness among us but because of external factors, we are influence and eventually become evil, thus, we need education to nurture the four seeds, namely: Compassion, Shame, Respect, Knowledge of Right and Wrong. On the other hand, the later believes that all men are evil in nature and that we don't have 4 seeds in us, however, he believes that it is also education(environment and those who learn from it) that can make us good for with education we realize our true nature and we are able to correct it, and to finally, to do away with it.

Overall, Mencius think that men are naturally inclined to do good, but Shun Tzu argues that men are evil, and goodness is a conscious activity derived from learning our evil nature because it is the way to relate with others.

I was actually wondering about this, your summary is nice- though I Found that the two of them just backing off was majorly anticlimatic. Just like how the con artist just left the city.
Mar 17, 2012 3:16 PM

Jul 2010
Koyomi took that beating like a boss.

Nice way to end even though it leaves wanting more.

Can't wait for the BDs to come out for archival purposes.
Mar 17, 2012 3:17 PM
Jul 2010
Elite60 said:
Koyomi took that beating like a boss.

Nice way to end even though it leaves wanting more.

Can't wait for the BDs to come out for archival purposes.

This reminds me of his fight with Suruga monkey in the first series, except this time it wasn't censored by rainbow paint :')
Mar 17, 2012 3:18 PM

Oct 2010
DrRatekkusu said:
IAlready said:
About Kagenui's blabber about philosophy. Both of those Chinese philosophers that Kagenui mentioned are Confucian. Confucius, just laid out teachings for social order but didn't ponder on human nature so there was a dichotomy, or a division between 2 school of thought that interpret the nature of man, Mencius and Shun Tzu; the former believes that there is an inherent goodness among us but because of external factors, we are influence and eventually become evil, thus, we need education to nurture the four seeds, namely: Compassion, Shame, Respect, Knowledge of Right and Wrong. On the other hand, the later believes that all men are evil in nature and that we don't have 4 seeds in us, however, he believes that it is also education(environment and those who learn from it) that can make us good for with education we realize our true nature and we are able to correct it, and to finally, to do away with it.

I was actually wondering about this, your summary is nice- though I Found that the two of them just backing off was majorly anticlimactic. Just like how the con artist just left the city.
You can find out more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mencius
compare and enrich upon both info.

Essentially my take in it is that the reasoning of the fake being worth more due its efforts in mimicking the real are questionable for each person. You can value your fake as much I value my real but in thee end the composition is what really matters. Kaiki omitted that on purpose to focus on the one aspect of feelings/attachment. In other words Kaiki explained the concept of being "xxxHolic" one of valuing objects and the level of being attached to them. Which is interesting on its own.
Yumekichi11Mar 17, 2012 3:22 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 17, 2012 3:29 PM

Aug 2010
Gahara-san Why???? T_T

Anyways awesome series 10/10 :]
But.........Gahara-san WHY ;_;
Mar 17, 2012 3:31 PM

Dec 2011
Sigh why are so many of the girls getting short hair >__>

Overall this series was pretty enjoyable ^^. The close to incest moments were really funny and added a nice touch. Seeing Shinobu in her (semi) adult form was also a nice addition.

I don't know why I haven't though about this up til now, but how strong is Koyomi exactly? Every fight up til now he's gotten the crap beaten out of him >_>

After watching this, I'm getting the sudden urge to play an eroge with either imoutos or vampires.
I blog about eroge at:

Jun 2010
Please Nisemonogatari is next! I read the Light novel and I can't wait for it.

Shinobu when she is about 15 years old, I think. That's a good form for her, but I don't think she can survive in that form.

Oct 2011
I don't know how to describe this fight. I know - AWESOME!

And Shinobu ;o ;o ;o Love!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2012 4:00 PM

Nov 2008
Good final episode to a fairly good adaption o/ greatly enjoyed Nisemono ! Hope the next adaption comes soon~
Mar 17, 2012 4:00 PM

Jan 2008
Kagenui's last line gave me the shivers. "Then, let me say something that Oshino would never say....good bye."

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.
Mar 17, 2012 4:08 PM
Oct 2010
Great conclusion, it was Platinum good. XD

The dialogue is usually great but this episode outdid itself, I couldn't ask for more.

... But why is everyone cutting their hair? is it due to Koyomi's tastes... well I don't agree with those. I hope the author at least lets Shinobu keep her gorgeous long blonde hair...

Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping an eye for the next installments.

Edefrem said:
That ending....;A;

Debating over giving this a 9 or 10, I'll stick to 9 right now.
Ha, thought the same and with the same conclusion, I'm giving this a 9 too.

I would have given it a 10 if it hadn't been so fanservice heavy... Don't get me wrong, it was "nicely" done and I don't particularly dislike it, but it does take screen time that could be used otherwise and it can also be quite distracting.

aer0gam3r said:
I don't know why I haven't though about this up til now, but how strong is Koyomi exactly? Every fight up til now he's gotten the crap beaten out of him >_>
Well, being an epic pouching bag has its merits.
AjunkyMar 17, 2012 4:11 PM
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Mar 17, 2012 4:11 PM

Nov 2007
The whole anime was splendidly done. While there was a tid bit more focus on the ecchi part, the dialogues had been as good as Bakemonogatari. The kiss didn't seem to carry any malice in it, but it was still Tsukihi's first kiss. So it might have been pretty awful for her, but then again, if we just take that as a kiss shared between two, who love each other for being their family with no sexual desire behind it, it might seem pure and sweet.

Loved the anime through and through. Both Tsukihi and Karen are adorable little sisters any brother would cherish to have in their family.

Senjougahara in the end with short hair was T_T
But I love her anyways for what she is, her personality mainly. So, it wasn't that depressing like many of her fans felt like.

9/10 and probably will remain one of the best anime of 2012, despite the year isn't even into it's Q2 shows.

Cannot wait for the rest of the monogatari series to be animated. They better keep their promise or I will be sad. :'(
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 17, 2012 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
Great dialogue.

Probably my favorite show this season.
Mar 17, 2012 4:34 PM

May 2011
Siscon fanservice is amazing. "Isn't it hot having a sister who really isn't your sister?"

I guess I'm Platinum Happy with how this series went. The cast was amazing again and the comedy was brilliant. I also didn't mind the imouto fanservice.

9/10.
Mar 17, 2012 4:58 PM

Jun 2007
Loved "older" Shinobu in this ep, but why the hell do they have to ruin Senjougahara like that!? They already ruined Hanekawa's hair (though that was standable since I just don't like her), but Senjougahara is awesome with long hair so they really, really did a bad move by cutting her hair. Oh well, I just hope that it'll grow out in some sequel.
Mar 17, 2012 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
It's a great episode. I hope they will show fighting scene of shinobu and Yotsugi. I wanna Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade kiss her ass in animation :P
Mar 17, 2012 5:25 PM

Jan 2011
Overall i enjoyed this season alot sad to see this end but even knowing we have the movie next i still kinda felt like something was missing i guess i was just expecting them to beat the Girls in some badass way but they just ended up giving up oh well still loved older Shinobu pray to god whenever we get another season she stays that way.

as i think alot of people would agree major rage factor of this season is everyone CUTTING THEIR GOD DAMN HAIR!
Mar 17, 2012 5:38 PM

Oct 2011
Good stuff overall. Karen bee felt dragged out a bit, but many of the conversations still kept my interest. 9/10.
Senjougahara still looks nice with short hair imo. xD
Now that I think about it, there was a severe lacking of Senjougahara in this series... it's supposed to focus on the sisters, but still. :P
Mar 17, 2012 5:41 PM

Jun 2009
Overall, I enjoyed the season more than last season, though this season have more... things I dislike.

It's a 2 step forward and 1 step back for me. But I definitely enjoyed this more than Bakemono... I really like how Koyomi is working so hard for his family, as well as the philosophy of Imposters might actually be more real than the real thing... Really got me thinking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2012 5:42 PM
Jun 2010
I don't know anything about the novels but is there anything else that is a sequel to what we've seen animated so far or is it only going to start doing prequels? I kinda wanna see that girlfriend introduction.

Oh and short hair -1. She looks way too, I guess innocent that way with her smiling. I prefer her smirks :)
Mar 17, 2012 5:43 PM

Mar 2010
Great episode and a great conclusion of the series. I give the anime as a whole 10/10 but Bakemonogatari still was a little better.

Anyway I love the teen version of Shinobu cause she was awfully hot and cool. And the fight with Araragi was pretty good aswell, and the dialogues are great as usual.

And I think Senjougahara still looks pretty good in short hair even though it was a better when she had long hair.
Mar 17, 2012 5:47 PM

Oct 2009
NisiOisiN is a genius. I'm so lucky to have been blessed by his works.

Not gonna say anything. I already sold my soul to the 'gataries when I stumbled upon Bakemonogatari.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2012 5:48 PM

Jan 2008
Yozuru Kagenui: "Whatever you value...what you consider right is up to you. But don't force those ideals onto other people."

...What a !@#$ing hypocrite. She is just so full of shit. Those words should have been about herself rather than Araragi. "don't force your ideals onto other people"? That's exactly what she has been doing from the start.

Also, I hope Kaiki eats shit and dies in feces and a pool of his own blood.
Mar 17, 2012 5:49 PM

Oct 2011
Hageshiikaze said:
I don't know anything about the novels but is there anything else that is a sequel to what we've seen animated so far or is it only going to start doing prequels? I kinda wanna see that girlfriend introduction.

Oh and short hair -1. She looks way too, I guess innocent that way with her smiling. I prefer her smirks :)
From what I hear there are fifteen novels, and shaft plans to animate them all. In other words, we'll have a lot more monogatari to watch(bake and nise are the first two, there are still neko, etc. so no prequels yet probably except kizu).
KefkirothMar 17, 2012 5:55 PM
Mar 17, 2012 5:58 PM

Aug 2011
Haha, I really enjoyed this episode, here's why:

-Koyomi got his ass kicked, BIG TIME!
-Teen Shinobu is a freakin' hottie
-Koyomi kissing his sister (Wincest FTW!)
-The reveal that Oshino, Kaiki, Yozuru were friends back in college ( -monogatari just blew my mind!)

Although I still think that Bakemonogatari was a little bit better, the sequel was highly entertaining nonetheless !
Mar 17, 2012 5:58 PM

Jun 2009
I really liked how they wraped up the story here. Fight scene was well made and fitted with the big amount of dialogue we got during it. Great to learn more and more about these characters, i really want to see more Monogatari series animated. Can't wait for Kizumono already.

Those bgms at the beginning and when Koyomi was talking with Tsukihi near the end were masterpieces, need OST nao.

One thing i don't really approve of, Senjougara's haircut. (Some novel spoilers ahead)

OrochiPLMar 17, 2012 6:18 PM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 17, 2012 6:06 PM

Jul 2009
AHHHH... I WANT THE MOVIE. NEED MORE GROWN UP SHINOBU. TEEN SHINOBU NOT BAD EITHER. BUT NO FIGHTING SCENE FROM HER THIS SEASON. GRRRR. CAPS LOCK MAD.
Mar 17, 2012 6:15 PM

Jan 2008

/waits for next season... or episode.

Anyways, I hope the Blu-ray version shows more.
Mar 17, 2012 6:21 PM

Oct 2009
Kefkiroth said:
Hageshiikaze said:

From what I hear there are fifteen novels, and shaft plans to animate them all. In other words, we'll have a lot more monogatari to watch(bake and nise are the first two, there are still neko, etc. so no prequels yet probably except kizu).

There's Koimonogatari (12th).

"Love story"

It'll be animated, SHAFT will deliver.

List of them from Wikipedia here:

1 November 1, 2006 Bakemonogatari (化物語 (上)?, a portmanteau of bakemono [monster] and monogatari [story, tale]) ISBN 978-4062836029
2 December 1, 2006 Bakemonogatari (化物語 (下)?) ISBN 978-4062836074
1 May 7, 2008 Kizumonogatari (傷物語?, a portmanteau of kizumono [something damaged, scarred or wounded] and monogatari [story, tale]) ISBN 978-4062836630
1 September 2, 2008 Nisemonogatari (偽物語 (上)?, a portmanteau of nisemono [a fake, impostor, or imitation] and monogatari [story, tale]) ISBN 978-4062836791
2 June 10, 2009 Nisemonogatari (偽物語 (下)?) ISBN 978-4062837026
1 July 28, 2010 Nekomonogatari (猫物語 (黒)?) ISBN 978-4062837484
2 October 29, 2010 Nekomonogatari (猫物語 (白)?) ISBN 978-4-06-283758-3
1 December 24, 2010 Kabukimonogatari (傾物語?) ISBN 978-4-06-283767-5
1 March 31, 2011 Hanamonogatari (花物語?) ISBN 978-4-06-283771-2
1 June 30, 2011 Otorimonogatari (囮物語?) ISBN 978-4-06-283776-7
1 September 28, 2011 Onimonogatari (鬼物語?) ISBN 978-4-06-283781-1
1 December 22, 2011 Koimonogatari (恋物語?) ISBN 978-4-06-283792-7
1 2012 Tsukimonogatari (憑物語?) Unreleased
1 2012 Owarimonogatari (終物語?) Unreleased
1 2012 Zokuowarimonogatari (続終物語?)
Mar 17, 2012 6:22 PM
Oct 2010
BTW, there might be a point in fakes being greater than the real deal.

At least I've know fake idiots that take stupider decisions than real idiots...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Mar 17, 2012 6:23 PM

Oct 2009
Shirou from Fate/Stay Night anyone?

Nisemonogatari and Unlimited Blade Works = same thing.
Mar 17, 2012 6:54 PM

Dec 2007
I really love all the theories mentioned in this episode. Particularly the "all humans are born evil" one. Will look it up later. :O

Next up, movie!
Mar 17, 2012 7:07 PM
Apr 2009
I like Senjougahara better with long hair.

I wish we could have seen Shinobu fight and conquer.

That is all.

Good stuff, too bad it's over. I see no more content since Tsukihi's story is now done.
Mar 17, 2012 7:22 PM

Jun 2007
Must everyone's hair be cut off?
Mar 17, 2012 7:23 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
An okay ending episode; I'm glad they ended it with "to be continued". I wish they would have shown Shinobu's fight, but I guess they're leaving that for Kizumonogatari.

There were definitely enough memorable (read: toothbrushing) scenes in this series so that it deserves a 9/10.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 17, 2012 7:32 PM

Jan 2012
I almost dropped this anime after episode 8, because I fall under the category of "Western people who felt uncomfortable", but I am glad that I didn't. Now to find out how to shove Shinobu into my favourite characters list...

10/10, even with the incest.
Mar 17, 2012 7:33 PM

Jul 2010
Epic ending. cant wait for for the next series :D

10/10 wasn't as good as bake but it still deserves a 10. I hope SHAFT announces neko soon or one of the other novels. or at least Kizumono gets a release date because that novel was completely bad ass.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 17, 2012 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
The end was kinda ... bleak.

But yeah, how it was delivered and the incest-ish feeling made it work out :D
Mar 17, 2012 7:56 PM

Apr 2008
Good to see a to be continued. People blew the 'incest' way out of proportion, but doing that is the job of the internets I guess. Looking forward to more Nisio, and hopefully Zaregoto is on the horizon.
Mar 17, 2012 8:04 PM
Aug 2009
I really was laughing for a good minute when they showed the college picture of all Oshino, Kaiki and Kagenui together. It reminds me of that scene in whatever tv shows where there were 3 people in a car drinking and rocking to the music.

The short hair styles really killed it for me in the end, but overall, 9/10.
Mar 17, 2012 8:09 PM

Jul 2008
Noooo it's over.
Want Kizumonogatari to get out now.

Also I seriously want dat instrumental arangement of the op that played at the start of the episode.
Mar 17, 2012 8:10 PM

Feb 2012
I absolutely love this series, Bakemonogatari blew my mind and Nisemonogatari stands besides it for me. You don't see this weird non typical type of show often, I'm glad it exists. But it's just sad that it has ended, guess I will have to watch Bake and Nise again.
The music including OPs and ED in this show is fantastic (Bake likewise), many shows are somehow a bit lacking in this regard.
Koyomi died several times in this episode.
"Platinum mad" was plain awesome.
Teen Shinobu kicks ASS.

Finally, I would like to say that the studio seems to really love what they are doing, you can literally feel this kinda special vibe. Anyone else thinks so?
Mar 17, 2012 8:42 PM
Dec 2008
it has been great for the last 11 weeks
really enjoyed this series, and sad that the journey is over
well, it does say "to be continued" at the end, so im excited for more
monogatari series in the future
although this series had less story than bakemonogatari, it was still very enjoyable to watch, and im glad to have seen this anime

love nisemonogatari
10/10 for me
Mar 17, 2012 9:33 PM

Mar 2012
Well I've definitely enjoyed both Bake- and Nisemonogatari, solid 9/10 for me. But WHY did Karen and Senjogahara cut their hair :(.

Can't wait for Kizumonogatari.
Mar 17, 2012 9:34 PM

May 2008
great episode and great ending to the series 10/10 can't wait for the Movie its gonna be awesome with Shinobu!!!!!!
Mar 17, 2012 9:40 PM
Jul 2011
A lot of people are depressed by the ending. It's a bit lackluster, yeah sure, but dont blame Shaft for it. There's nothing to do with Shaft since they were being very original by following what's exactly written in the novel. So if you dislike the ending, it's most likely Niso Isin's fault ;P
Mar 17, 2012 9:55 PM

Feb 2011
So it's over eh? Alright, so we got a colour and style rich episode befitting a fine Shaft closure, can't argue with that one. Speaking of Shaft, they proved us once again that they can't into animation. Well no shit, lol.
I can't quite say that I had my mind blown by this episode...but it has always been a style over matter sort of anime, so I didn't come with those sort of expectations from the first place. It delivered what it promised, and that's enough for me.

Oh yeah and I liked the soundtrack that was playing near the end too.

I'm giving this ep a 4/5.

As for my final score for the series- I'll start off by admitting that it was inferior to Bakemonogatari, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.
Well, how should I put it... I'll start off by saying that while watching the show I was in the mindset of this being a 6/10 sort of anime (In terms of plot and character complexity and depth atleast), but I'll have to admit that if nothing else, this show kept up it's quality and style steady along all it's episodes (which is quite a rare attribute in anime nowadays). Also, it had a unique vibe to it which differed it from other generic anime, and made it worth giving a try to.
While it lacked in the plot department it managed to make it up by having iconic characters that didn't necessarily have to be 'deep' in order to thrive (the sort of thing that the 'moe culture' can appreciate, I guess) .
It might not have had the exact same 'touch' that Bakemonogatari did, but it fullfilled it's role regardless. So I think that it merits a steady 7/10 from me.

Can't say that I'm gonna rush watching the next Xmonogatari series though, whenever it comes out, that is (oh comn who am I trying to fool here...).
CrouchezMar 17, 2012 11:27 PM
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 25, 2012

755 by decco6226 »»
Apr 22, 3:13 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akiyama - Jan 21, 2012

261 by decco6226 »»
Apr 21, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ariamachi - Jan 14, 2012

348 by Ken_9 »»
Mar 15, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2012

247 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 5, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 18, 2012

323 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 2, 2:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.