Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Dec 30, 2012 10:44 PM

Sep 2011
Oh god Shinobu so hot with her teen phase there! Senjougahara with her short hair on the beach was nice, but short hair doesn't really work on her. Oh well. I can't wait for the next series on the 31st, but I don't think we see Senjougahara at all..

9/10 For both series
Dec 31, 2012 12:40 PM

Dec 2012
i loved bakemono ( 9/10) even though this lacked some stuff i loved in bake i still enjoyed it 7/10
( im so mad they made senjoughara cut her hair too >.< )
Jan 2, 2013 11:34 AM
Nov 2012
I didn't mind them giving a few characters short hair but they have done it for everyone :< And most of them looked better with long hair
Kawaii > Universe
Feb 8, 2013 1:16 AM

Mar 2012
My only complain goes to the Hanekawa hair. I loved her long hair, even in cat form, without it, when I first saw, i could not recognize her. Short hair on other girls is fine.
Feb 11, 2013 3:32 AM
Aug 2012
5/10

Art animation/sound were top notch, but the characters and pacing were abysmal.

It achieved it's goal though, I can merit it that.

Really enjoyed the show, I just wish it kept the focus the first show had.
Mar 9, 2013 5:17 PM

May 2008
Have you ever wonder who is in the pedo bear costume?
Mar 28, 2013 6:28 AM

Sep 2011
Teen Shinobu was good to see, she is great as ever. A bit too much unnecessary gore imo. Too little Tsukihi in her own arc, and too short arc at that (only like 1,5-2 episodes). What the heck is with everyone cutting their hair? And again, not much of a conclusive ending.
But it was a nice episode though.

The reason I started this season after I gave Bake a 6 (read my review there if you wanna know why), was that I was really interested in Araragi's sisters and Shinobu. And I wasn't really let down. I actually thought that this was better than Bake.
For starters, even if we had too little of both Karen and Tsukihi, they still made the show much more interesting. They seemed more like real characters unlike the characters from Bake where they were nothing more than just additions to Araragi's harem. (And thank god there were much less Hitagi and Hanekawa, but still too much :/ )
I especially liked Karen (which has nothing to do with all the fanservice), I think she is a great character (bonus for the voice of Kitamura Eri), I'm sad she cut her hair, she looked a lot better with it.
I liked Shinobu just as much as Karen, she was great as well (her voice is also amazing), but just like Karen, she had way too much fanservice.
I don't really like fanservice, but I don't hate it either, unless it is overdone just like here. Less would have been much better. Araragi's perversion was sometimes funny, but other times ridiculously overdone and way too weird.
I also liked how there seemed to be more like a story here with more character development.
The amount of boring scenes remained though, and the focus on Araragi's sisters was not as much as I hoped it would be (still too much side characters and the main arcs were very slow to start).
One of the biggest plusses was that they threw out the ever-so-annoying text that appeared like every 5 seconds or so in Bake and also ones after the OP (the one big wall of text that appears now is much better). The red/black scenes stayed, but that isn't as annoying, because I know I don't have to read them.
I really liked the 2nd and 3rd openings (Karen's and Tsukihi's) and I'm already listening to it them :)

But even with these, I think that the show was still much better than Bake. So I'm giving it a 7/10. Araragi's sisters and Shinobu saved this for me.
However, I don't think I'm gonna continue with this series even when the real 2nd season comes out. The characters (with the exception of these 3 and Araragi, though he not always) are not really worth watching. I know that Neko is already out, but again, I would only watch it for Shinobu, because I find Hanekawa annoying. The series isn't bad, but I also don't find it as good as people make it out to be. The dialogue and the characters are sometimes funny, but other times boring :/
Mar 30, 2013 10:34 PM
Jan 2012
Nice finale, although the one-sided fight between the onmyouji and Araragi was boring, the ending scene was very cute. Teen Shinobu is cute as well... and taller than Koyomi. Haha! In the end, Nisemonogatari was more enjoyable than Bakemono, so I will give it a 8/10.
Apr 23, 2013 1:57 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
i loved bakemono ( 9/10) even though this lacked some stuff i loved in bake i still enjoyed it 7/10
( im so mad they made senjoughara cut her hair too >.< )

Yea felt like it was missing something, probably focused a bit too much on the sisters. Bakmono was a 9/10 for me as well, Nisemono was good but not as interesting so i give it a 8/10.
Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
Teen Shinobu was soo sexy ;)

Didn't like the resolution to the fight. They basically made an exception for Araragi's sister and left.

I really liked how Araragi stood up for his sister even though she's a fake. Even though he teases them and acts the way he does (like saying I hate you both) he does care A LOT about them and as he and Karen said, would die for her.

I liked this series just not as much as Bakemonogatari. I'm glad there will be more of this series to watch both now with Neko: Kuro and more to come with the movie and hopefully Neko: Shiro. I really like these characters.

Oh and I didn't like Senjougahara with short hair :(
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
May 11, 2013 7:42 AM
Aug 2011
That ending just decreased my rating from 9 to 8. What, they were so touched and made an exception? Are you serious?

I was really excited when I saw that they didn't use those shitty half a sec-texts and the season was good. But the ending wasn't really fit.

I rated bakemonogatari 7/10, though. It is really interesting that just the absence of those long text scenes made the show a lot better for me.
May 19, 2013 3:41 PM

Dec 2012
THIS MOTHERFUCKING HAIR MURDERER. HOW MANY HAIRS WILL DIE BEFORE THIS PIECE OF SHIT IS SATISFIED. AT THIS RATE THE WHOLE WORLD WILL BE BALD JUST TO SATISFY HIS SICK DISGUSTING ABNORMAL SEXUAL FANTASIES. i cri evry tiem ;-;
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 2, 2013 4:41 AM
Aug 2012
2 arcs which kinda felt small in a series and hitagi wasnt rlly in it much which kinda sucked. koyomi seems to have a bit more than a little better healing left from being human he seems to still be near enough immortal tho in a fight he was jst a punching back kinda useless i wonder why they wanted to kill the pheonix its not rlly a fake sister seeing as they have the same mother still and grew up together so in wat way cld tht be fake aside from that i still find the art to be gd and a little different it was still funny there was quite abit of fan service tho if it didnt have it wld be harder to workout the relationship or personality of the characters it wasnt like other shows where theres random pant shots or clothes being taken of in a fight the main bother of this series was the lack of development in hitagi and koyomi's relationship the two series seem to have been just to introduce the characters they all but done that so the next series a new plot and true movement forward should happen and the story actually begin
kingfelix92Jun 2, 2013 4:49 AM
Jun 7, 2013 12:18 AM

Nov 2012
it end.. prepare for the second season :3

btw the ending not really good.. :/

I just love the scene when koyomi vs kagenui its kind of cool btw.. :D
I'm kind of dissapointed when shinobu vs ononoki not be showed :/

senjougahara in short hair.. idk maybe I love it maybe I hate it.. :/
Jun 28, 2013 4:26 AM

Aug 2010
As expected, the arc is solved by words and not brute force, though I don't mind that Shinobu beat Yotsugi to a pulp. Speaking of the vampire, I love her design it looks absolutely great. It would seem that more characters will be introduced to each other in the future. I feel sorry for Nadeko in advance, Hitagi's existence, and place in Araragi's heart should be a crushing blow to her 4/5.

I was wary of watching this, and the opinions of Nisemonogatari being sub-par compared to Bakemonogatari proved to be true (in my opinion anyhow). The fanservice was turned quite up while I hardly had to pause my player to read background stuff. The conversations were often small-talk, and while Bake had its fair share too, I think those were more general and dealt with interesting issues. This season did tackle the question of its namesake, I really loved the presentation and the arguments regarding fake vs real, and I lean towards Kaiki's opinion, though I would probably answer as Oshino did.

Also, Shinobu brought up the lifespan of Araragi, that's an interesting question and I wonder how it will be handled. I expect for them to part ways and Araragi will become a normal guy, by the time this monogatari reaches its end.

Even with its flaws, it was still better than your average show 8/10. And the lesson for me here is that, even if an amazing series' second season is weaker, it can still be a heck of a ride. If something good happens, enjoy it.
Jun 30, 2013 7:09 AM

Jun 2013
Honestly, I really enjoyed Nise despite knowing that the fanservice would shoot up according to reviews (oh my goodness, that toothbrush game). The mood seemed lighter, yet its general essence of the series was still retained.

I was quite surprised with how the battle between Araragi and Yozuru ended. I thought Shinobu had to interfere and make way for some Deus Ex Machina, but I'm glad it ended the way it did. On the other hand, that short scene in the ending made me crave for more. More Hitagi screen time would mean more tsundere, and that isn't so bad for the development of the couple (save for Araragi's pride as a man).

I'm looking forward to the next season. The weekly waits would really suck though.

Jul 12, 2013 7:21 PM

Oct 2012
Every fight in this series was a one sided massacre against the main character.
This series had an ok ending
3/5
Jul 17, 2013 10:14 PM

Jan 2013
9/10

I'm so looking forward to Senjougahara meeting Tsukihi and Karen.

I assume it's happening in Monogatari Second Season since this takes place in July and Monogatari Second Season takes place right after this.

Again, I have to say, there were absolutely NO background characters at all. That's part of what gives this a unique feel. There aren't a dozen minor characters. Only the important ones.
Jul 18, 2013 6:35 AM

Apr 2013
Damn this episode was good. But the ending was kinda dull. And i like that part when Araragi told Tsukihi that he has a girlfriend :)
Anyway this season was much better than the previous one imo. The only thing left is to watch the Nekomonogatari and go for the 2nd season ^_^

9/10.
Aug 2, 2013 12:50 AM

Sep 2010
Koyomi is such a badass when he gets the shit kicked out of him and doesn't give any fucks.

Senjougahara seems to have cut her hair, I'm platinum mad. I really want to see Senjougahara meet the sisters.
Aug 25, 2013 1:55 PM

Mar 2012
I just marathoned both Bake and Nise in preparation for watching the Montogatari 2nd season.

Overall, I was blown away by Bake, while I found Nise to be just pretty good. I found Bake's mini-arcs to be a lot more compelling and dramatic. I just couldn't find myself getting as invested in the Fire Sister's story arcs. Sure, they are still pretty good, but I didn't find the execution of this series to be nearly as good as what Bake was able to do.

While I would say Nise is pretty good, it is a bit disappointing in terms of putting it side-by-side with Bake.
Sep 5, 2013 5:34 PM

Dec 2008
That's it? She beats Araragi within an inch of his life, says she wasn't into it, and then bids him goodbye?
Sep 21, 2013 3:43 PM

Nov 2008
Oh wow, way better than Bake. 8/10
Sep 27, 2013 5:47 AM

Apr 2012
Really enjoyed it all. From the intense diologue to the toothbrush scene 0_0

Overall 8/10
Sep 30, 2013 8:10 AM

Dec 2012
I know this show prides itself on witty dialogue, but it does sentimental so damn well. Slowed down OP was love (as it always is). Teenager Shinobu was lovely. Animation throughout the entire episode must have cost a fortune 'cause that shit was gorgeous. And I love the idea of Meme, Kagenui and Kaiki discussing philosophy in an SOS Brigade-esque club. Speaking of which, I wonder if that mysterious fourth member will make an appearance in the future.
Oct 11, 2013 4:54 PM

Nov 2010
Noo! Gahara cut her hair! I prefer long hair for women...
Oct 19, 2013 10:41 PM

Jan 2013
I like Nise over Bake but both are very good. Gonna jump on the next season asap.
Nov 2, 2013 10:25 AM
Oct 2010
I really disliked this series, I liked this episode, but the series as a whole isn't very good imo, especially after coming off bakemonogatari. First off, they need to keeps shinobu's fanservice for only when she's an adult.. seriously... episode 4 was just some pedo creeper shit, had to skip most of it when I realized it was going all the way to the end.

Secondly, I did not appreciate the large amounts of "filler" content in each arc.. for instance, in the phoenix arc, two out of the 4 episodes had absolutely nothing to do with the arc (aside from araragi giving directions and it takes 5 episode for the bee arc to really get started). This caused everything to move at a snails pace, and the conclusions weren't as satisfying as Bake, there was also very little focus on the supernatural unlike bake, which was also disappointing.

That's not to say it was all bad, despite not being as good as bake the conclusions to the bee and phoenix arcs were good imo. I particularly liked kaiki's moments, and the revelation about him, osihino and Yozuru. But aside from that, I don't think I could recommend this to anyone. There's alot of alienation of the people who enjoyed bake, and SHAFT took a very big risk with this thinking this is what people wanted. Maybe it is in Japan so I shouldn't say that it was wrong of them to do it, but for me personally I thought they focused too much on pleasing the horny fans from the original rather than those who liked the supernatural element and dialogue.
Dec 6, 2013 12:47 AM

Dec 2012
I don't really have a distinction between Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, they're the same show to me.
Dec 23, 2013 6:45 PM
Nov 2013
Excellent ending to the season, loved it. Visually spectacular all the way through. I loved Koyomi's total acceptance that his sister was a fake.

I wish Shinobu had always looked like that ;)

And did we just completely run out of characters with long hair?

Overall a 9/10, wish that the plot of this arc had taken up all four episodes of it, instead of 2, and i could have done with a bit less loli/incestous fanservice, But the visuals, story, dialogue, characters, and pretty much everything else were all still top notch. Enjoyed it immensely.

Time to start on Nekomonogatari :)
SatanicBeaverDec 23, 2013 6:49 PM
Dec 26, 2013 7:19 AM

Aug 2012
Even though this series has its own name, because I picked it up just a few days ago when the 26-episode series is still going on, I treated this as a sort-of extension to Bakemonogatari rather than a standalone series. I must say I was thoroughly entertained by every aspect of it from its witty dialogue to its original and fun fan service to the plot. Both arcs show us and develops of Koyomi's character, thus giving me a reason not just to be interested in the series, but also to actively look forward to future adaptations.

I am giving this series, as well as its predecessor, Bakemonogatari:

8/10 Excellent

I'd love the series even more if it could bring all the characters together and show me a grand conclusion. The ending for Nisemonogatari was obviously a transition into the next series.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Dec 30, 2013 9:35 AM

Feb 2013
Kagenui's last line was witty. xD
The slowed piano version of OP really adds a nice touch on the ending scene.
Overall, Nisemonogatari still retains the witty dialogues of its prequel but this time around I was able to watch one episode without falling asleep.
Maybe because it has ecchi scenes in it........
8/10

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Dec 30, 2013 9:47 AM

Oct 2013
Grown up Shinobu looks like Zelda.
This episode was so violent and bloody, I barely made it through. :S
Jan 5, 2014 6:24 PM

Oct 2012
GOD. What's up with all the haircuts? Senjougahara's wasn't too bad but Karen's was....

Overall not bad. 7/10

Jan 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed this series, Nisemonogatari is an extraordinary anime, i'mg glad that i decided to watch the Monogatari series, and why in the heaven's name all the girls was cutting their hair? i know that Koyomi has a short haired girl fetish but it's jsut too much, well Senjougahara wasn't look that bad with her shor hair though, i want more of her ! now onto the Monogatari series: Second Season, i'm super excited.

overall score 10/10
Jan 10, 2014 7:30 AM

Sep 2013
WHY IS EVERYONE LOSING THEIR HAIR!? This is heresy.

Uhh... As for Nisemonogatari, the pacing was pretty odd in both arcs with a focus on the dialogue rather than the titular characters, so I don't think it's quite as good as Bakemonogatari. Everything did have the same Bakemonogatari feel though, albeit the plot and episodes went by far more quickly. Some episodes felt more like OVAs than part of the arcs (especially during Karen's arc) although I still find it amazing that you could put so much into so little and still achieve a 24 minute episode that felt like 10 minutes.

7/10

PS: As much as I used to like Nadeko, she doesn't actually play much of a role in neither Bakemonogatari nor Nisemonogatari- I don't know what they were trying to do with her.
Jan 13, 2014 4:54 PM

Oct 2009
no big issues with ending imo just a few minor 1's with the show in general. would have liked to seen shinonbu fight some and not just see koyomi be pummeled. not a fan of senjougahara following the short hair trend as well but nothing to do about it but move on to the monogatari S2
Jan 16, 2014 4:14 PM

Apr 2012
Is there an underlying message about adoptive children here, perhaps? Maybe I'm thinking too far into it... Either way, a nice thought-provoking way to end the arc.
Jan 26, 2014 1:50 AM
Jul 2009
So with regards to the hair cuts and everyone asking why....

Every singe main character in the show, save for Koyomi and Mayoi, changed their hair.

Nadeko => Hair Band
Suruga => Grew longer
Karen => Cut
Hanekawa => Cut
Senjougahara => Cut
Tsukihi => changing constantly
Shinobu => hair style change when in older form
(I like the next episode preview joking about her putting Karen's missing ponytail on her head.)

So now for that Why part. Because the author could. He know hair styles define characters visually and fans care a lot about this. Considering, as I understand it, Nisemonogatari was written more or less "off the cuff" he really did it just to screw with the readers and their images of the characters. If you consider the cultural significance of hair cutting... and Karen literally ripping her hair off and throwing it in the trash without a second thought.... The trolling should be obvious.

Of course the true meaning has more to do with the pervasive sadomasochistic themes in Nisio's work, and his position of dominance as the author over the readers. He can do whatever he wants to your beloved characters, because they're actually his characters. And just maybe he doesn't care about them as much as you do.... or at least not in the way you do.
Jan 28, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2013
Araragi really got his ass beaten up xD
I would have loved to see Shinobu fight though...

Araragi kissing his sister... He's really take advantage from his ''fake'' sister :P

I liked the ending. The problem wasn't really totally solve, she still remain a phoenix. But sometime, you can only lower the impact from a problem...

Sengouhara new hair is cute :3
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 31, 2014 5:20 AM

Jul 2013
He kissed her... yeah if Tsukihi can't believe it then I can't believe it too... just think of it.. Araragi, the MC showed his kiss with his sister to us.. but his kiss with Senjougahara, his girlfriend.. we saw nothing.. and I'm not even 100% sure that they've already kissed.. so basically it's his first kiss. SAY NO TO INCEST!. though it's clear that it is not.. also... that was... hot

I prefer long haired Hanekawa and ofc Senjougahara
Jan 31, 2014 5:28 AM

Mar 2013
9/10 for me loving Nisemonogatari so far looking forward for Nekomonogatari now :)
Feb 1, 2014 9:23 PM

Oct 2013
keeen for the next season
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 11, 2014 1:22 PM

Jan 2014
Just finished the finale, and I liked how it got right into things with the fight, and I really liked seeing Shinobu finally transform. I hope that Shinobu gets to do this a little more in the next season I'm about to start up but not a big deal if not.

I agree with a lot of people here in terms of Nisemonogatari not being on par with Bakemonogatari in a few ways. The pacing and story arcs weren't all that interesting this season except for the few times Kaiki would randomly show up, he's quite chilling. There was a little too much of the sisters for me in this series but what can you do, it's over and done with and overall I still really enjoyed this season. The major downside was Senjougahara was essentially an after thought other than her and Araragi confronting Kaiki which was interesting.

My biggest wish for next season is to shine some more spotlight on Araragi's relationship with Senjougahara, I'm just a sucker for that despite knowing this is not solely a romance series. Other than that, I expect Kaiki to continue to play a role and am very curious to see how everything plays out, and if Oshino returns.

Bakemonogatari- 10/10

Nisemonogatari- 8/10 (Kanbaru's fan-service cancelled out the weird incestuous implications that were far to often an occurrence for me)
Feb 18, 2014 12:33 AM

Jul 2008
Damn he got his ass kicked again but managed to talk his way out of it. I have a feeling we aren't done with the teacher trio.

And DAMN IT SHE CUT HER HAIR TOO!!!
Mar 24, 2014 6:08 AM

Jul 2013
Why is everyone doing an Emma Watson and cutting their hair?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2014 6:12 AM

Dec 2012
Minagatachi said:
Why is everyone doing an Emma Watson and cutting their hair?

It's a cliche character development device, and kinda exclusive to Japan's culture, if I'm not mistaken. Nisio Isin, happens to like doing it, for whatever reason.
Mar 24, 2014 9:24 AM

Apr 2012
ArcanaTrace said:
Teen Shinobu is really hot, actually Shinobu in any age/size is hot. Btw i still cant believe they manage to end the arc with this episode when Tsukihi only made minimum appearance throughout her arc.

Well im guessing the "continue" either means an extra in the blu ray or the Nekomonogatari. Still cant wait, and i seriously mean CANT WAIT for Shaft to animate the rest of the monogatari series. Wonder how many years that is gonna take, but i'll wait patiently.
Agree.

Why did Senjougahara cut her hair T_T
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 26, 2014 3:46 PM

Nov 2012
Only problem with Nisemonogatari: Not enough Sengoku.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 25, 2012

755 by decco6226 »»
Apr 22, 3:13 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akiyama - Jan 21, 2012

261 by decco6226 »»
Apr 21, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ariamachi - Jan 14, 2012

348 by Ken_9 »»
Mar 15, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2012

247 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 5, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 18, 2012

323 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 2, 2:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.