Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 17, 2012 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
The end was kinda ... bleak.

But yeah, how it was delivered and the incest-ish feeling made it work out :D
Mar 17, 2012 7:56 PM

Apr 2008
Good to see a to be continued. People blew the 'incest' way out of proportion, but doing that is the job of the internets I guess. Looking forward to more Nisio, and hopefully Zaregoto is on the horizon.
Mar 17, 2012 8:04 PM
Aug 2009
I really was laughing for a good minute when they showed the college picture of all Oshino, Kaiki and Kagenui together. It reminds me of that scene in whatever tv shows where there were 3 people in a car drinking and rocking to the music.

The short hair styles really killed it for me in the end, but overall, 9/10.
Mar 17, 2012 8:09 PM

Jul 2008
Noooo it's over.
Want Kizumonogatari to get out now.

Also I seriously want dat instrumental arangement of the op that played at the start of the episode.
Mar 17, 2012 8:10 PM

Feb 2012
I absolutely love this series, Bakemonogatari blew my mind and Nisemonogatari stands besides it for me. You don't see this weird non typical type of show often, I'm glad it exists. But it's just sad that it has ended, guess I will have to watch Bake and Nise again.
The music including OPs and ED in this show is fantastic (Bake likewise), many shows are somehow a bit lacking in this regard.
Koyomi died several times in this episode.
"Platinum mad" was plain awesome.
Teen Shinobu kicks ASS.

Finally, I would like to say that the studio seems to really love what they are doing, you can literally feel this kinda special vibe. Anyone else thinks so?
Mar 17, 2012 8:42 PM
Dec 2008
it has been great for the last 11 weeks
really enjoyed this series, and sad that the journey is over
well, it does say "to be continued" at the end, so im excited for more
monogatari series in the future
although this series had less story than bakemonogatari, it was still very enjoyable to watch, and im glad to have seen this anime

love nisemonogatari
10/10 for me
Mar 17, 2012 9:33 PM

Mar 2012
Well I've definitely enjoyed both Bake- and Nisemonogatari, solid 9/10 for me. But WHY did Karen and Senjogahara cut their hair :(.

Can't wait for Kizumonogatari.
Mar 17, 2012 9:34 PM

May 2008
great episode and great ending to the series 10/10 can't wait for the Movie its gonna be awesome with Shinobu!!!!!!
Mar 17, 2012 9:40 PM
Jul 2011
A lot of people are depressed by the ending. It's a bit lackluster, yeah sure, but dont blame Shaft for it. There's nothing to do with Shaft since they were being very original by following what's exactly written in the novel. So if you dislike the ending, it's most likely Niso Isin's fault ;P
Mar 17, 2012 9:55 PM

Feb 2011
So it's over eh? Alright, so we got a colour and style rich episode befitting a fine Shaft closure, can't argue with that one. Speaking of Shaft, they proved us once again that they can't into animation. Well no shit, lol.
I can't quite say that I had my mind blown by this episode...but it has always been a style over matter sort of anime, so I didn't come with those sort of expectations from the first place. It delivered what it promised, and that's enough for me.

Oh yeah and I liked the soundtrack that was playing near the end too.

I'm giving this ep a 4/5.

As for my final score for the series- I'll start off by admitting that it was inferior to Bakemonogatari, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.
Well, how should I put it... I'll start off by saying that while watching the show I was in the mindset of this being a 6/10 sort of anime (In terms of plot and character complexity and depth atleast), but I'll have to admit that if nothing else, this show kept up it's quality and style steady along all it's episodes (which is quite a rare attribute in anime nowadays). Also, it had a unique vibe to it which differed it from other generic anime, and made it worth giving a try to.
While it lacked in the plot department it managed to make it up by having iconic characters that didn't necessarily have to be 'deep' in order to thrive (the sort of thing that the 'moe culture' can appreciate, I guess) .
It might not have had the exact same 'touch' that Bakemonogatari did, but it fullfilled it's role regardless. So I think that it merits a steady 7/10 from me.

Can't say that I'm gonna rush watching the next Xmonogatari series though, whenever it comes out, that is (oh comn who am I trying to fool here...).
CrouchezMar 17, 2012 11:27 PM
Mar 17, 2012 10:14 PM

Sep 2011
Love Shinobu, this time she turns into a teen right?

Well... that's the end of the reason, and Araragi is freaking immortal
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Mar 17, 2012 11:10 PM

Jul 2011
Really enjoyed this season, but it was way to short. Oh well Kizu coming up. Sales for Nise will probably top 50K. I highly doubt that this is the last we see of Araragi and harem.

Either 8 or 9. I'll be nice and give it a 9 for now because it really was very entertaining and was the shortest 20 minutes, every week it aired.
Mar 17, 2012 11:16 PM

Jan 2012
Did everyone miss the extra scene after the credits?
Mar 17, 2012 11:25 PM

Feb 2011
After reading through the comments - am I the only one who liked Senjougahara with short hair?
Mar 17, 2012 11:26 PM

Oct 2010
GHostSAint said:
Did everyone miss the extra scene after the credits?
It sadly does not show on all the episodes I get nor RAWs so I never really get the end card. The same problem with GC.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 17, 2012 11:26 PM
Apr 2011
First season was ok but this one was extremely overrated and overhyped.
Mar 17, 2012 11:29 PM

Sep 2008
I am platinum satisfied with how the series ended, but short hair on Gahara-san irks me because it's like an infection...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2012 11:30 PM

Jan 2011
cwmaji said:
First season was ok but this one was extremely overrated and overhyped.

True.
[center]
Mar 17, 2012 11:45 PM

Jan 2012
HawthorneKitty said:
I am platinum satisfied with how the series ended, but short hair on Gahara-san irks me because it's like an infection...

tooootally agree, wtf why they did this to her? btw, they did with almost all the characters, first tsubasa, then karen, and to fuck with all, hitagi :\\
yooo mina :3
Mar 17, 2012 11:50 PM

May 2008
There is some great symbolism in this anime, I think that is what I like the most.
I am pretty sure they were thinking about Jesus Christ when they created the phoenix story, otherwise there is too much coincidence! I mean wouldn't that explain virgin Mary getting pregnant and Jesus himself resurrecting?
omg! Jesus Christ is a phoenix!!!! xD
Mar 18, 2012 12:15 AM

Nov 2011
I actually enjoyed the series overall. I cringed at the incest sort of scenes but still. I wish Araragi put up a fight and also wish we saw the fight between Shinobu and Yotsugi.

Next is Kizumonogatari. I heard it was gonna be an Anime film released in theaters and realized i'll have to wait 6+ months after the airing until the DVD/BD gets released and then subbed just like the K-On movie T__T .

Some other questions. What exactly would of happened if Shinobu took all of Araragi's blood? Both Shinobu and Araragi power up I know that much but would Araragi turn into a vampire again or something if she took too much? Gahh I can't wait for Kizu so I can see how he turned back into a human (mostly) and Heart-Under-Blade's adult form .

Also can Araragi die from physical injuries? Or is he really immortal.

Senjougahara isn't bad at all but I prefer her longer hair more. Totally expecting a kiss after the end credits but nope...
Mar 18, 2012 1:25 AM

May 2009
Finally some action!! >:D

but short hair senjougahara

IM PLATINUM MAD! >:|

to be continued...
will be waiting! ^_^
Mar 18, 2012 1:38 AM
Aug 2010
VioLink said:
Koyomi got FUCKED UP.

Episode score = 2/5

Series score = 5/10

bakuramariks said:
Gahara with short hair is horrible.

It was just plain ugly.

I didn't like it either.
Mar 18, 2012 2:31 AM
Sep 2009
Loli Shinobu > older Shinobu
Mar 18, 2012 3:06 AM
Aug 2011
I enjoyed the series, stayed even more true to the light novels than Bake did.

Sorry to Senjougahara fans who wanted more. I have a feeling you guys will feel quite trolled from now on as honestly even in Hitagi End there isn't a lot of Senjougahara.

To those upset at the haircuts let me tell you this. In Japan there is this cultural tradition that some still follow. When a boy rejects you, or you have growth or change in your life. Sometimes women will cut their hair.

Hanekawa lost out to Senjougahara, that explains her hair.

Senjougahara has grown as a person. If you remember when Koyomi was locked up by Senjougahara and got that call, well Hanekawa was helping her. Basically told her that her behavior was wrong and to let Koyomi go. Then she faced Kaiki and it is heavily implied that after that encounter her and Koyomi "did it". You don't see the change yet as she wasn't in the Nise much but be prepared.
Tired_SmurphMar 18, 2012 3:19 AM
Mar 18, 2012 3:08 AM

Jan 2011
The final episode to Nisemonogatari (more like Wincestonogatari xD) was absolutely brilliant. Araragi being so badass and a great brother helping his Tsukihi. That kiss scene was hilarious, golden :D Loved the background music, instrumental version of the OP, so good. The fight scene was animated extremely well, very entertaining, especially seeing Araragi's 'zombie' state lmao. xD. Also, TEENAGE SHINOBU, OMFG FUCKING LOVED IT <3 Couldn't stop saying 'oh wow'. :) Episode ended very nicely, Araragi telling Tsukihi that he'll introduce Senjougahara to them and Tsukihi was plantimum mad. :) Senjougahara's short hair is pretty unattractive though. Ah well, not a big issue (smirk)
Overall 5/5 for this episode.

Well, Nisemonogatari as a whole Anime, I fucking loved it. I never once felt bored and dissatisfied with any of the episodes, was entertained throughout all the episodes and fucking laughed my ass off in each. The animation is top-knotch. Music was fit the scenes so well. The scenes, just like Bakemonogatari, very unique and appealing. The characters are the ones that shined though. I loved how Araragi kept teasing Hachikuji, for the win. :D Also, fucking loved Karen. Those scenes with Karen and Araragi were the best. WINCEST FTW HECK YEAH LOL xD And Shinobu was so fucking cute as a loli and sexy as a teen lmao.
Overall, I loved Nisemonogatari and I guess it's safe to say it's better than it's prequel ;) 10/10

Hope to a 3rd season soon. Still cannot wait for the prequel movie to Bakemonogatari though. <3
Mar 18, 2012 3:10 AM

Mar 2008
Well in this season was less action, but I still liked it.
I didn't like the OP, like those in Bakemonogatari.
Fire sisters, Shinobu (loli and adult, she's always cool ^^), Kagenui and even Kaiki was an interesting figure... And I like short hair. Anyway, Gahara is Gahara, her hairstyle doesn't matter. She isn't just some shallow characters that you like only for her looks.

me now wants another season...

Mar 18, 2012 3:22 AM

Feb 2010
nice ending for a brillant show 9/10.
Mar 18, 2012 3:25 AM
Aug 2011
Now they have a "valid" reason for the incest, damn it! I'm platinum disgusted. Even had to rewatch a few Bake-episodes to try a forget the incest parts of Nisemono. Still a good series and won't change my 10/10 (Why do I strongly hate incest in this series and love it in plenty of others)
Mar 18, 2012 3:29 AM
Jan 2011
I wonder who's the girl in white?

Wow, vampire girl has grown up.
Mar 18, 2012 3:29 AM

Feb 2012
bloodyemi said:
There is some great symbolism in this anime, I think that is what I like the most.
I am pretty sure they were thinking about Jesus Christ when they created the phoenix story, otherwise there is too much coincidence! I mean wouldn't that explain virgin Mary getting pregnant and Jesus himself resurrecting?

Uh...no.

1) the phoenix comes from multiple branches of mythology.

2) Jesus was "reborn" but he wasn't immortal.

3) I don't think labeling Jesus as a monster would be a good idea on the author's end LOL. way too many people would get pissy
Mar 18, 2012 3:41 AM

Jan 2009
it was platinum good, i said it with a posed look
8/10 for me
Mar 18, 2012 3:44 AM

Jan 2009
finally over . 8.5/10 from me although gave it a 9 here.
Mar 18, 2012 3:47 AM

Sep 2007
I so love this series. And I so want to watch the movie now. Also, Senjougahara is always cute, short-haired girls for the win! <3

Mar 18, 2012 4:15 AM

Feb 2012
So it's finally over, huh?

Good, good. After sitting through 11 episodes of this trash (just so I can actually say I watched the whole thing) it's safe for me to say that nothing of value was lost.
Mar 18, 2012 4:28 AM

Mar 2008
Seeing Kiss shot in her late teen form got me so excited. I was expecting a one sided battle with the (fmr) legendary vampire ending them all-- even with unspecified limited abilities.

I really want to see Kiss-shot in her final form and I hope Kizumonogatari comes out fast. She is one of the most intimidating yet caring vampires I've ever seen.
Mar 18, 2012 4:40 AM

Nov 2010
Didn't like the fight that much, but the Family thing was very nice

It also shows something like Adopted or Step Family

People that attach to you would grow to you

Nisemonogatari was very good nonetheless and enjoyable

The Phoenix story really surprised me
Mar 18, 2012 5:24 AM
Jun 2011
OKAY SO THAT WAS HER WITH SHORT HAIR RIGHT???
for a sec looked like karen...
i was like the fuk????
Mar 18, 2012 5:55 AM

Dec 2011
I'm platinum mad that they cut Hitagi's hair short! >:(
Mar 18, 2012 5:56 AM
Jul 2010
Skyline123 said:
OKAY SO THAT WAS HER WITH SHORT HAIR RIGHT???
for a sec looked like karen...
i was like the fuk????

She looked more like Kanbaru

amc9988 said:
I'm platinum mad that they cut Hitagi's hair short! >:(

Ponytail Hitagi was the best, yea.

luvisuzu said:
Seeing Kiss shot in her late teen form got me so excited. I was expecting a one sided battle with the (fmr) legendary vampire ending them all-- even with unspecified limited abilities.

I really want to see Kiss-shot in her final form and I hope Kizumonogatari comes out fast. She is one of the most intimidating yet caring vampires I've ever seen.

Oh man, shes even better in onimonogatari, she's just about the best loli ever.
Mar 18, 2012 6:03 AM

Apr 2010
Shinobu looks way better in her teenage/adult form it seems more befitting to her.
I think this was one of the best episodes of this season and the season in general could be better it doesn't live up to Bakemonogatari hopefully second season will be better.
I did enjoy it though and it was worth watching.

Kagenui seems like a good person to replace Oshino tho she is a bit to violent.
I liked the fight Araragi looked horrible after it but was still able to stand and say his little speech.

Seeing Senjougahara with short hair was also a surprise it seems like all the girls that had long hair have short hair now and the short haired girls are starting to have long hair.
Mar 18, 2012 7:57 AM

Dec 2011
Thus, the curtain have been brought down for Nisemonogatari, it was enjoyable. I guess all good things come to an end.
Mar 18, 2012 8:21 AM

Dec 2011
Another anti-climax. Meh.
Mar 18, 2012 8:24 AM
Jun 2008
I don't like the short hair on Senjougahara and Hanekawa. Long hair always looked best on them in my opinion.

Everything about this series was stellar though. After reading a bunch of comments on another site about how disappointing this ending was among other complaints about inferiority, I have to say I strongly disagree. They actually handled these last few episodes unexpectedly good. Kagenui also explaining her connection with Oshino and Kaiki drastically helped in answering some questions. Shinobu in her teen/adult form was awesome and I love this partnership she has with Araragi. Such a cool duo. I seriously wish they released the light novels here in North America. I'm tired of not being able to buy any monogatari media in English. All I have is a Senjougahara figure.
Mar 18, 2012 8:26 AM

Mar 2008
So Araragi's fight scenes in Nisemonogatari only involved him getting brutally beaten up by his opponent and eventually get tired and give up. Pretty lame of him but good show all in all.
Mar 18, 2012 9:09 AM
Feb 2012
Mauno said:
Mauno said:
jimjameswhatever said:
bloodyemi said:

Uh...no.

1) the phoenix comes from multiple branches of mythology.

2) Jesus was "reborn" but he wasn't immortal.

3) I don't think labeling Jesus as a monster would be a good idea on the author's end LOL. way too many people would get pissy
It was slightly implied in the part where Shinobu explained the concept of Phoenix. Dunno if it really means anything, but at one point there was a burning painting with the classical Madonna and baby Jesus arrangement, and also one resembling Venus figurines.

Might be just a neat detail without further meaning like the history written by magical shoujos in Madoka Magica :P.

Anyways, chills went down my spine when I realised that the BGM in the opening scene is a Platinum Disco remix. :O
Kinda lame to quote myself, but after some research I found the original painting.

Maybe I'll edit later, once I've found the original Venus figurine. Oh, Shaft, how I love you so. :D

Edit: It didn't take too long to find this one out. It's over 3000 years old Japanese Tanabatake "Venus".

The story of Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha the founder of Buddhism shares similarities with Jesus Christ especially in terms of their Conception. It's probably a safer bet to assume the similarities are from Buddhism rather than Christianity. Though they may be referencing a mythology that drew heavy influence from Buddhism in the same way many western works have a large influence from the Bible and Christianity.
Mar 18, 2012 9:19 AM

May 2010
That conversation about fundamental philosophy of good and evil and value of the real thing and an impostor just made my day.

The supernatural phoenix-cuckoo talk in the first part was an interesting metaphor for Tsukihi being an impostor.

Kagenui's too badass for an exorcist. And her backstory with Kaiki and Oshino was worth listening. Such an interesting trio. :)

I also wanted to see how teenaged Shinobu owned Yotsugi. =,=

As to their shortened hair, it'll probably took time for me to get used to it esp. Hitagi. :(

Overall, the series was better in terms of visual presentation and animation than the prequel but I still prefer the latter more because of the dialogues. I still enjoyed the dialogues here though but not in level probably with the prequel.
Mar 18, 2012 10:26 AM

May 2010
It's finally over...isn't it ?!
Mar 18, 2012 11:08 AM

Nov 2008
It was a nice series, got it's good parts.
8/10 overall.
Next is Kizumonogatari's film (it's a prequel of bakemonogatari).
Mar 18, 2012 11:49 AM

Jan 2012
bakuramariks said:
Gahara with short hair is horrible.

8/10 overall

Don't talk shit bout' my love. You saw how lovely and beatiful she was right before ending?
Do you think this is a motherfucking game?
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ariamachi - Jan 14, 2012

348 by Ken_9 »»
Mar 15, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2012

247 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 5, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 25, 2012

754 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 3, 5:40 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 18, 2012

323 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 2, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Feb 11, 2012

221 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 1, 7:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.