Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 1, 2008 5:26 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just saw this RAW. I really don't like that Natori guy. He kills and harms spirits. I know about exorcism but even one such myself that knows about them, knows that there are ways of sending them sometimes of the spirit does not do anything exorcists leave it alone because it would be bad karma on them to exorcise in certain circumstances.

This being said this guy already had two of them by seeing two lizard like shapes on his skin. Could be some sort of contract or condition between him and his Youkais since I only saw RAW.

Nyanki sensei is amazing! Good guardian work as usual. His light is amazing also since I did see him use it like he does in this episode.

I wonder what is Natori going to do with the Youkai at the end that Natsume saved.
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Sep 1, 2008 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
This lizard shadow is a youkai for itself, who "lives" and walks around on his skin.
The youkai Natsume saved got a name (didn't forget it) and she decided to follow Natori, as far I as understood.

I think it was a good placement for this episode to happen, since the lone stories every episode were nice but we need some change. We need other people being able to see youkai (who should appear more often than once) and some viciousness to handle in the last episodes
Sep 2, 2008 2:41 AM

Jul 2008
HoaRyK said:
This lizard shadow is a youkai for itself, who "lives" and walks around on his skin.
The youkai Natsume saved got a name (didn't forget it) and she decided to follow Natori, as far I as understood.

I think it was a good placement for this episode to happen, since the lone stories every episode were nice but we need some change. We need other people being able to see youkai (who should appear more often than once) and some viciousness to handle in the last episodes

So technically he has 4 Youkais that we see.

Yeah, for the Youkai to follow Natori, is well erh, strange cause he tried to exorcise and Youkais do not like those people.

About other who can see, there is this guy in school that has dark hair that inquiries about Natsume and what is he up to. There is also Sawada but she does not see them but future episodes would and should have her as some person that gained special powers suddenly and can sse the Youkais.
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Sep 5, 2008 2:44 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007

It was still a very good episode, the pace was faster than in previous episodes. I enjoyed it a lot.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 5, 2008 8:25 AM

May 2007
wait wat 13 eps? :<
Sep 5, 2008 10:01 AM

Jul 2008
I just wanted some thing now that I saw the subbed version. Too bad for that curse and the shaman who put it on. I would try to send this spirit back to a safer place then to roam around the mansion.

I CANNOT AND CANNOT stop LOL at the scene Bunta Neko VS Chirichiri. 1000$ on Bunta Neko! ^_^

I also agreed that Natori's methods are too brutal and harsh to exorcise demons.

Next episode looks like a spirit running out time and wants to borrow body to do something by Natsume is hesitant....well DUH, even I would not do it if asked randomly but give me time to know the spirit and one may consider his ways.
Sep 5, 2008 10:03 AM

Jul 2008
I wanted to post this separately:

Anyone know WHAT IS A KOTO?

Anyone knows why a spirit would need to use that, especially while running out of time?

SEEKING SOME ANSWERS...I AM.
Sep 5, 2008 12:36 PM

Feb 2008
lol well this was a good episode. there are peopel who exorcise youkais like that too. the ones that follow him probably have their own reasons. at the very least hes not going out of his way to exterminate them just because he can.
Sep 5, 2008 1:16 PM

May 2008
It was nice to finally have Natsume meet someone else who can see youkai and who has had to deal with them. At first I wondered if he was after the Yuujinchou for his own purposes, but that didn't end up being the case which is a good thing. The only real complaint I had with this episode was that it didn't really explain what caused the change in Natori other than having to constantly deal with youkai like Natsume. Then again I guess there's only so much you can cover in a 13 episode series.
Sep 5, 2008 1:34 PM

Jul 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
It was nice to finally have Natsume meet someone else who can see youkai and who has had to deal with them. At first I wondered if he was after the Yuujinchou for his own purposes, but that didn't end up being the case which is a good thing. The only real complaint I had with this episode was that it didn't really explain what caused the change in Natori other than having to constantly deal with youkai like Natsume. Then again I guess there's only so much you can cover in a 13 episode series.

Is supposed to be 26?
Sep 5, 2008 1:38 PM

Apr 2008
Once again a great episode. What I really enjoy about this series is that there aren't any bad guys :D I mean, even if Natori seems bad for exorcising the youkai the way he does, he's still a good guy, very much like Natsume. They look quite alike too, maybe to show what kind of person Natsume may become in the future.

It's sorta sad though, now that it's official that there will be only 13 episodes. It can only continue with the oneshot stories and introducing new characters, so the ones that we already know, like Tanuma and Sasada, won't get much screentime or development :/
Sep 5, 2008 1:40 PM

Apr 2008
angel999 said:
...Is supposed to be 26?
Only ever been stated as 13 :'<

Absolutely_Steve said:
...didn't really explain what caused the change in Natori other than having to constantly deal with youkai like Natsume.
I really want to know that too, since he started out all Natsume. And brings up the question, could Natsume's opinions/methods also change later on? I doubt it though since he's since a sweetheart! :D
Sep 5, 2008 8:14 PM

Mar 2008
Great episode, as always.
Sep 5, 2008 8:52 PM

Jul 2007
Another really enjoyable episode, too bad this series is only 13 episode long=/
Sep 6, 2008 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
Definitely the best episode so far! so it's confirmed that it will be 13 episodes? >:
Sep 6, 2008 11:02 AM

Apr 2008
I really like his pet Youkai birthmark. It's a great idea, is welldone and kind of cute.
Sep 6, 2008 2:27 PM
Dec 2007
Buta Neko vs Chiri Chiri, the fight of the Century ;)

Great episode as usual !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 6, 2008 2:39 PM

Jul 2008
Triethanolamine said:

I don't understand. At first it was 26...why now 13? Don't tell it is the baka budget cuts!
Sep 6, 2008 3:45 PM
May 2008
^ i thought it was always planned as only 13 episode..

well anyhow, a good episode yet again. i dont like that Natori guy for some reason.

this anime reminded me of xxxHOLiC a bit. not that's a bad thing though
Sep 6, 2008 10:40 PM

Jun 2007
Nice episode! I liked Natori and his birthmark.
Fat Sensei lolz

Next episode looks really good, i think im gonna love it as well xD
Sep 7, 2008 7:16 AM

Aug 2007
angel999 said:
Triethanolamine said:

I don't understand. At first it was 26...why now 13? Don't tell it is the baka budget cuts!
It happens a lot recently, anime which are supposed to be 26 episodes long or so, are cut in half. It's not really about the budget, but more about popularity (or just both xD). If the first half is succesfull, there'll be a next season. If not: no second season. It also depends if it's based on a manga or not. With this two-season planning, they can give the mangaka some more time to create some more chapters... Some other anime of this previous and upcoming season have the same thing as Natsume Yuujinchou: Vampire Knight, Junjo Romantica and Rosario to Vampire, etcetera.

Anyway, nice episode. Wish I had a cool birthmark like that O_o He really looks like a older Natsume and the yokai reminded me of Reiko, after seeing her mask broken. Tanuma needs more airtime and I also want to see the real story. Just single episodes aren't entertaining me.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 7, 2008 8:19 AM

Jul 2008
DragonsWhip said:
angel999 said:
Triethanolamine said:

It happens a lot recently, anime which are supposed to be 26 episodes long or so, are cut in half. It's not really about the budget, but more about popularity (or just both xD). If the first half is succesfull, there'll be a next season. If not: no second season. It also depends if it's based on a manga or not. With this two-season planning, they can give the mangaka some more time to create some more chapters... Some other anime of this previous and upcoming season have the same thing as Natsume Yuujinchou: Vampire Knight, Junjo Romantica and Rosario to Vampire, etcetera.

Anyway, nice episode. Wish I had a cool birthmark like that O_o He really looks like a older Natsume and the yokai reminded me of Reiko, after seeing her mask broken. Tanuma needs more airtime and I also want to see the real story. Just single episodes aren't entertaining me.

Ok, yes I understand you point but anime like Gantz were victims of budget cuts so that reason is partly in but so is yours I guess.

You mentioned popularity....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The stuff is way popular in Japan depending on the area of Japan. I would think areas that are strong in religion and supernatural belief would be ideal.

This being said I add that this show is very sweet, calm and not too violent. I would have to say it would be accepted by most parents so yeah this would definetly be worth the 26 episodes.
Sep 8, 2008 10:08 AM

Jun 2008
But uh, I always thought that Nastume is up till episode 13. As far as I know, they never mentioned that it will show till 26. Well, that was one of the initial reasons why I started watching it. Of course that reason was blown away after watching the third episode. Wuv it!!

Anyways, I kinda see Natori's POV. It may be cruel but he is trying to help. He wanted to free the youkai either thru freedom or death. I would say he is ruthless but kind (do I even make any sense?) Well, I'm still in Natsume's school of thought (pacificism it the way mate).
Sep 8, 2008 3:07 PM

Mar 2008
Not as thought-provoking as last time around

Should have expanded on the tatoo

But definately a good episode

4 (the first 4 I gave to this series)
Sep 8, 2008 6:53 PM

Oct 2007
Great episode, of course. I liked the birthmark youkai idea particularly, that was kinda cool.

Sep 9, 2008 5:11 AM

Apr 2007
Very enjoyable ep, though it was faster than previous awesome eps. I lol'd at beginning "huh Earthquake?"
Sep 9, 2008 10:25 PM

Jan 2008
BUTA NEKO... LOL.. i really find sensei's cat form very cute... im taking him home..

i would like to have a birthmark pet too.. haha..

mm.. don't you think Natsume and the Natori guy looks so much alike?... haha.. at first i thought he would be his big brother...LOL

i like the episode.. but im still looking forward to better episodes..
Sep 10, 2008 2:31 AM

Jan 2008
Another heart-warming episode.

I find the birthmark cool. Nice to have one like that but of course, not a youkai.

About Natori, I understand his side being exorcist.
Sep 24, 2008 9:53 AM

May 2007
Good episode, hope Natori shows up again. And a bit of action is fine.
My anime list
Nov 14, 2008 11:39 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Monkey_D_Luffy said:
Great episode, of course. I liked the birthmark youkai idea particularly, that was kinda cool.

yeah that birthmark was quite cool.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 15, 2009 4:09 AM

Jan 2008
Another nice episode. However, I didn't really like the new guy.
Jun 1, 2009 7:40 AM

Apr 2008
amazing birth mark -.-lll

Jun 14, 2009 4:23 AM

Oct 2007
orangehouse said:
amazing birth mark -.-lll

Yokai birthmark at that

Great episode. It kinda contained some shounen-ai or very minor at the list.

Great episode and it had it's best moments like always.
Jun 14, 2009 8:44 AM

Jul 2008
noelhoi said:
I lol'd at beginning "huh Earthquake?"
Same here. I found that moment extremely hilarious.

Also, Natsume really sounds like Tieria when he's angry. xD
adamantineJun 14, 2009 10:49 AM

BEGINNER
Jun 15, 2009 1:12 AM

Feb 2008
Another female youkai episode..
Jul 3, 2009 6:14 PM

Nov 2007
Nice episode, every time though since the black swallow episode I've wanted one of those youkai to stay behind and help Natsume but I guess Nyanko-sensei is good enough for that xD
Aug 4, 2009 6:41 PM

Mar 2009
I liked it. It's nice to see Natsume meet someone who understands him. I hated that guys method of doing things though.

Nov 21, 2009 2:43 AM

Jun 2009
Not too bad of an episode, although episode 6 and 8 is still better imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2010 8:07 AM

Nov 2009
Buta-neko ike!!
Jan 11, 2010 4:29 PM

Nov 2008
cyruz said:

It was still a very good episode, the pace was faster than in previous episodes. I enjoyed it a lot.

It did seem like it had a faster pace but as you said, it was enjoyable. Also that part was one of fav so far. LOL
Jan 29, 2010 10:24 PM

Dec 2009
The youkai birthmark was interesting. (I had been wondering what was up with the guy w/ the lizard crawling on his face in the OP for awhile now.) I wish they had gone into a little more detail about it..
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

Dec 13, 2010 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
“Sorry for being so FABULOUS~” Oh, Shuuichi <3 I loved him since the moment he appeared for the first time, he really has a charm, and though I don’t like his methods, he must have his reasons. His youkai birthmark was a nice touch, too.

It’s great Natsume found another person who could see ayakashi.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jan 12, 2011 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
Madara is so damn awesome
Jul 10, 2011 9:33 AM

May 2010
cyruz said:

I LOL'd.. xD

The lizard youkai is probably the reason why he can see youkais.

Good ep BTW.. =)
Oct 11, 2011 10:41 PM

Aug 2010
OnyxEyes3 said:
The youkai birthmark was interesting. (I had been wondering what was up with the guy w/ the lizard crawling on his face in the OP for awhile now.) I wish they had gone into a little more detail about it..

Yeah, a little more detail about the lizard would've been nice. Nonetheless, great episode as always.
Nov 6, 2011 5:43 PM

Feb 2009
cyruz said:

That was win! I had one conplain about this episode though, the actor looked like Natsume 0_o
Nov 20, 2011 10:55 AM

Dec 2009
Nyanko taken out for a walk, lol! I disliked that guy a little, but it was a cool episode.
Dec 11, 2011 6:32 PM

Aug 2008
nyanko sensei causes an earthquake when he walks lol.
Jan 4, 2012 11:33 PM

Jan 2011
StormViruz said:

I LOL'd.. xD

The lizard youkai is probably the reason why he can see youkais.

Good ep BTW.. =)

I think the lizard may also be one of the reasons he is so glamourous. By that I mean his ability to cast a glamour automatically on both human and youkai females. That's a mighty handy ability to have as both a tv actor and exorcist. It was interesting to note that he was able to bring Hiragi out of a long period of dormancy by taking note of her and bandaging her wounds even when he was a young boy.

Shuuichi's approach to the Youkai seems to be one of command and control, while Natsume seems to be much more one of empathizing and working with the spirit. In some ways it's like the split between the attitudes of Western ceremonial magicians versus that of shamans or witches. It's an interesting contrast and I'm sure we'll see it again as the series continues over the cours.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 10, 2012 6:57 AM

Sep 2009
Yay this is the kinda episode I've been waiting for all along.
Want to know more abt Natori's birthmark though.. is it really cutting his life span?
I can see how it wud be frustrating spending so much time trying to get rid of it
only to have to accept it and live with it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Sep 29, 2008

190 by filoshi »»
Apr 2, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 25, 2008

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Mar 22, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ohmiharu - Jul 7, 2008

167 by filoshi »»
Feb 28, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Sep 18, 2008

106 by Ishitateso »»
Jan 21, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

datsunvic - Aug 13, 2008

146 by dont_ »»
Jan 21, 3:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.