Forum Settings
Forums

Nihon TV's Policy to Support Unremunerative 'Chihayafuru'

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 12, 2012 12:24 AM

Jul 2010
It not a surprise, their target audience is too narrow.
Mar 12, 2012 12:28 AM

Dec 2009
I think the long running shonens should be moved to the middle of the night since they already have a large fan base which will stay up and watch it and give their time slots to new animes like Chihayafuru.
Mar 12, 2012 12:40 AM

Jul 2008
Best anime.
Mar 12, 2012 12:53 AM

Apr 2010
bavoshiasb said:
I think the long running shonens should be moved to the middle of the night since they already have a large fan base which will stay up and watch it and give their time slots to new animes like Chihayafuru.

That makes absolutely zero sense. Their target audience are teenagers, and parents won't let their kids stay up that late to watch those shows.

Mar 12, 2012 1:18 AM
Dec 2011
Well for me Chihayafuru is a little bit meh for me because I like Chihaya but most development focuses on Taichi, and even after 20 episodes I really don't care about him. At all. So that kinda kills the fun of Chihayafuru to me as even Chihaya seems being neglected aside, only recently they focused back on Chihaya with nearly 3 episodes left. And I feel the anime lack some tension on the games, because I know in just one episode the game will be resolved nicely. So to me the anime is a good drama but not so much a good sports anime.
Mar 12, 2012 2:44 AM
Jun 2011
not surprising, but still disappointing

edit: referring to the news...not the show
Mar 12, 2012 3:38 AM

Mar 2009
A real shame Chihayafuru didn't get the exposure it deserved. Josei, shoujo, shounen or seinen...a good series has a way of snaring in fans from a cross sections of demographics and this is certainly one of those titles.

But in the end it's all about money so I don't blame thos in charge for making what they thought to be a prudent business decision.
Mar 12, 2012 5:16 AM

Nov 2007
it was a half an hour sleeping pill

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 12, 2012 5:33 AM

Sep 2011
i agreed, well Chihayafuru is one of the anime i looked up the most this (previous) season, too bad it airs on late night.

the plot seems good to be a family anime, and it airs on late night, WTF

the fact this one is a Josei doesnt mean that Chihayafuru is bad right?
Mar 12, 2012 7:17 AM

Jun 2009
hOMESTUCK said:
In during people claiming that josei sucks because it doesn't make money.

Chihayafuru (and lots of titles from the josei genre) is an anime I'm glad exists, and that's a fuck ton more than I can say about most anime of any genre. Too bad the masses don't agree with me, but that doesn't change the fact.

I do man i persoly like josei and go out of my way to watch them though i havn't watched that one
Mar 12, 2012 7:18 AM
Mar 2012
Every time I go to an anime forum people talk about an anime like that is the only source of material out when the majority is base on a manga or light novel. Chihayafuru is no different and I hope you are aware that there are sites that have the English translated manga so you guys can actually read the manga of anime that are no longer airing.
Mar 12, 2012 8:20 AM
Mar 2012
jmal said:
Huh, did not realize Chihayafuru was airing in a late-night slot. That definitely would screw it pretty badly, it's the kind of show that needs a daytime/evening slot and to rely more on ratings. It would have made a very good noitaminA show. Guess nobody wanted to take a chance on karuta, but that's a bit strange considering how huge the manga is.

Not strange as there is no real way of knowing which manga can be a hit anime.
Mar 12, 2012 8:22 AM

Nov 2008
Josei anime don't sell, they need to get it through their greedy skulls.

Mar 12, 2012 8:34 AM
Mar 2012
Hoppy said:

You seem to forget Usagi Drop, Princess Jellyfish,Honey & Clover(lasted 2 seasons),Nodame Cantabile(lasted 3 seasons) and Paradise Kiss. These are proof that Josei anime can be successful.
jmc234Mar 12, 2012 8:38 AM
Mar 12, 2012 8:36 AM

Nov 2008
not watching it anyway
Mar 12, 2012 8:38 AM

Mar 2011
>.>
But it's SO good!

Mar 12, 2012 8:56 AM

Apr 2010
jmc234 said:
Hoppy said:

You seem to forget Usagi Drop, Princess Jellyfish,Honey & Clover(lasted 2 seasons),Nodame Cantabile(lasted 3 seasons) and Paradise Kiss. These are proof that Josei anime can be successful.

Usagi Drop barely passed the Manabi line, Princess Jellyfish was a dud sales wise, as was Paradise Kiss.

Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile were both hits in sales, though.

Mar 12, 2012 9:11 AM

Nov 2007
AnimeMangaSuki said:
I had an idea while watching Chihayafuru :D
wouldn't it be awesome if the Karuta game would be changed from poems to something anime related?
like the person would read part of an anime song and you would pick the correct lyrics in continuing that part xD just sayin please dont hate!
I come in peace! <(_ _)>

... that would be non-karuta. Karuta is where they pick cards with poems.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 12, 2012 9:44 AM
May 2009
Chihayafuru is under-rated. Its a great show.
Mar 12, 2012 10:21 AM
Jul 2009
If I'm reading the article right, the issue is a lack of external sponsorship.

NTV would probably have preferred a daytime slot, but it makes no sense without a means of generating ad revenue. They could get high ratings, but without advertising partners on board, that wouldn't translate into money (which is a significant opportunity cost for a TV station).

Under another producer, this might've spelled cancellation. However, NTV supported the show despite a low chance of turning a profit, which the critic cites as a policy unique to the station.
Mar 12, 2012 10:31 AM

Oct 2008
If it's any consolation, which it isn't, I will purchase a Chihayafuru blu-ray if it ever gets licensed in the States. Since it's doing terrible in Japan, it actually has a chance of being licensed for cheap around the world, which is a plus for us so don't complain. Of course getting a second season will be a problem unless foreign licensing and sales could bring some profit back to the creators. It's a Catch-22 but a previous person pointed out that if you want to continue the show you can always read it's manga. I haven't checked it out yet but am curious how far the anime has progressed in the manga. Perhaps I will have to check it out when the sow finishes airing.
Mar 12, 2012 11:23 AM
Feb 2011
That makes me really sad because this is such a wonderful anime! I hope that josei anime continues to be made because some of my favorite series are in the josei category. They always have great stories and characters plus none of that fanservice junk. It seems to me that Chihayafuru is more popular overseas than it is in Japan... which is kind of strange since karuta is a Japanese game. I had absolutely no idea this even existed before watching it. But you really don't have to be that familiar with the card game to enjoy the show.

Well I hope it gets licensed in America because I will buy the dvds and support Chihayafuru!
DisapparateMar 12, 2012 11:27 AM
Mar 12, 2012 11:27 AM

Sep 2011
nerdsonfire1 said:
That makes me really sad because this is such a wonderful anime! I hope that josei anime continues to be made because some of my favorite series are in the josei category. They always have great stories and characters plus none of that fanservice junk. It seems to me that Chihayafuru is more popular overseas than it is in Japan... which is kind of strange since karuta is a Japanese game. I had absolutely no idea this even existed before watching it. But you really don't have to be that familiar with the card game to enjoy this show.

Well I hope it gets licensed in America because I will buy the dvds and support this amazing show!

fanservice junk? Look, we know you like josei, and so do i, but if you're gonna bash on another genre just because you don't like it then don't post in the first place.
and for the record, "fanservice junk" sells much much much better than josei, even much better than most other genres, so get over it.
Mar 12, 2012 11:30 AM
Feb 2011
bakayarokonoyaro said:

fanservice junk? Look, we know you like josei, and so do i, but if you're gonna bash on another genre just because you don't like it then don't post in the first place.
and for the record, "fanservice junk" sells much much much better than josei, even much better than most other genres, so get over it.

Excuse me, I can post whatever I want as it's my opinion! Yes fanservice does sell because unfortunately there are more perverts who watch anime :P
Mar 12, 2012 11:36 AM

Sep 2011
nerdsonfire1 said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

Excuse me, I can post whatever I want as it's my opinion! Yes fanservice does sell because unfortunately there are more perverts who watch anime :P

Keep your pointless opinions for yourself, this thread is about CHIHAYAFURU.
Why thank you, fanservice sells high and it will keep selling whether you like it or not.
perverts? Hah, i guess that's true, i'm grateful to those perverts though, thanks to them i get to enjoy my anime ;)
Downgrade355Mar 12, 2012 11:45 AM
Mar 12, 2012 12:00 PM
Mar 2012
RyanSaotome said:
jmc234 said:
Hoppy said:

Usagi Drop barely passed the Manabi line, Princess Jellyfish was a dud sales wise, as was Paradise Kiss.

Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile were both hits in sales, though.

Thank you for the correction Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabille (and its original manga) are basically Josei versions of stories you would normally find in the Shoujo genre(you can say the same with some Seinen/Shounen shows and manga) and because of those shows they will keep making Josei anime which is why Shirokuma Cafe is airing next month(an Josei Gag anime).
Mar 12, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2011
That sucks.It's a really good show, too :(
Mar 12, 2012 12:06 PM
Mar 2012
Orion1 said:
If it's any consolation, which it isn't, I will purchase a Chihayafuru blu-ray if it ever gets licensed in the States. Since it's doing terrible in Japan, it actually has a chance of being licensed for cheap around the world, which is a plus for us so don't complain. Of course getting a second season will be a problem unless foreign licensing and sales could bring some profit back to the creators. It's a Catch-22 but a previous person pointed out that if you want to continue the show you can always read it's manga. I haven't checked it out yet but am curious how far the anime has progressed in the manga. Perhaps I will have to check it out when the sow finishes airing.

The manga is 5 years old and is ongoing with at least 15 volumes published plus people are just recently scanning and translating the manga so what is available will likely be already in the series.
jmc234Mar 12, 2012 12:15 PM
Mar 12, 2012 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
DAMNIT!!!!

If the ratings r low, does that me no second season which is show DESPERATELY needs? T_____T

I really want 2nd season! T__________T
Mar 12, 2012 12:53 PM

Aug 2008
I really really really hope they will make a season 2!
We need more Josei in the anime industry!
Mar 12, 2012 1:41 PM

May 2011
Figured it wouldn't sell that well, even before I saw the stats. This just confirms it. It is pretty unique that they'd support this show.

I'm not knockin it seeing as I haven't really tried it, but I'm just saying that it never seemed like a show that'd sell well or even make the rankings. It's nothing ground-breakingly interesting, and it doesn't really have any other appeals. It doesn't just have to do with the genre itself (but if you wanna argue, most josei aren't the most popular around, despite having some rather successful ones in the past). The bad time slot only sealed its bad luck. I agree with the critic.
Mar 12, 2012 2:09 PM
Aug 2010
I hope the western release is more profitable.
Mar 12, 2012 2:21 PM

Dec 2011
Yay, I guess. I don't care about this particular show, but I'm happy they're willing to support something even though it isn't selling very well.
Mar 12, 2012 2:55 PM

Jul 2011
Before I watched Chihayafuru, I thought it would honestly suck. But it's been on my favorite animes list since the first episode. It's a great show. A shame it isn't more popular. This means no second season? :(
Mar 12, 2012 3:09 PM

Sep 2011
MM-Rosiie said:
Before I watched Chihayafuru, I thought it would honestly suck. But it's been on my favorite animes list since the first episode. It's a great show. A shame it isn't more popular. This means no second season? :(

I'm not sure, it might get a second season, i've seen far more crappy animes getting a second season, why not a fairly good one?
Mar 12, 2012 3:17 PM

Jun 2011
Now that's just sad, it's a good show and it deserves better. It's at least a lot better than most, if not all, of the shows that are currently airing. I personally think we need more shows like Chihayafuru, and I would gladly welcome more anime of the Josei genre. Sigh.
Mar 12, 2012 3:46 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
I'm not sure, it might get a second season, i've seen far more crappy animes getting a second season, why not a fairly good one?

Well, because individual opinions on "good" and "bad" don't have any influence on production decisions, unless they translate into financial incentive (i.e. buy stuff).

In this case it just sounds like we're lucky we got even one season, since funding was so hard to come by.

I guess that's true.
Mar 12, 2012 4:20 PM

Jun 2009
Is the manga licensed for an american release??
Mar 12, 2012 5:11 PM

Jan 2010
I'm kinda sad/disappointed that it didn't sell well, because it's josei and I want all josei anime to do well so that we might get more. But at the same time the anime is so boring to me at this point. It feels like a chore to get through each episode.
And I'm not even gonna lie, it's mostly because of a certain male redhead.
holypoopMar 12, 2012 5:24 PM
Mar 12, 2012 5:16 PM

Apr 2010
well glad the station supports shows that arent making great profits, which the show was doing better though, its rather nice

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Mar 12, 2012 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
IZUMI64 said:
it's a crap anyway...

Wise words.
Mar 12, 2012 8:56 PM
Feb 2011
jmal said:

I'm not sure about that, the most recent volume of the manga sold 250k in two weeks and must be well over 300k by now. Chihayafuru is very popular. The anime just isn't getting a lot of attention, and it being in a late night slot is probably holding it back some from fulfilling the purpose behind making anime adaptations of popular manga in the first place: to get more people to buy the manga.

At least it's a very very good show, so I'm glad NTV stuck with it, even if it might not pay off.

I'm glad to hear the manga is so successful at least! I plan on reading it as soon as the anime is over :)
Mar 12, 2012 9:07 PM

Jan 2008
hOMESTUCK said:
IZUMI64 said:
it's a crap anyway...

Just so you know, if you aren't going to substantiate your opinion with at least more than a few grammatically laughable words, People are going to be hard pressed to assign any value to it.

State why it was "a crap", or don't expect anyone to take you or your opinions seriously. I've no problem with you not liking it, I just wanted you to know that at this point in time you are more amusing than inflammatory.

In fairness, there are just as many posts in here that make positive remarks about the show with no supporting evidence. :P Backing-up your statements should be a two-way street. But more importantly, demanding elaboration for a quip opinion in this type of thread has the potential to make you look prudish.

That aside: all kinds of good shows get sucky ratings. T_T
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Mar 12, 2012 9:50 PM
Aug 2011
IZUMI64 said:
it's a crap anyway...

You sure you didn't just step on any while you were making your way to this topic?

Aw. Here I wanted another season even though I knew it wasn't doing so hot.
Although the pacing has kind of slowed down in these last couple of episodes...which at this point is not the best thing.

I've basically liked all the josei anime i've seen so far.
Mar 13, 2012 8:43 AM

Jan 2011
I haven't heard of this show before, though it is a shame to find out what is going on with it. I'll probably start watching the show soon. It seems interesting.
Mar 13, 2012 1:25 PM
Mar 2012
nerdsonfire1 said:
jmal said:

I'm not sure about that, the most recent volume of the manga sold 250k in two weeks and must be well over 300k by now. Chihayafuru is very popular. The anime just isn't getting a lot of attention, and it being in a late night slot is probably holding it back some from fulfilling the purpose behind making anime adaptations of popular manga in the first place: to get more people to buy the manga.

At least it's a very very good show, so I'm glad NTV stuck with it, even if it might not pay off.

I'm glad to hear the manga is so successful at least! I plan on reading it as soon as the anime is over :)

Well a successful manga is the reason for the anime in the first place. If Chihayafuru wasn't a hit manga the anime would never exist. With that being said there are still a whole bunch of hit manga that still haven't had an anime produce.
Mar 13, 2012 1:42 PM
Mar 2012
To answer the question about Chihayafuru being licensed no it is not as this isn't the kind of manga that will sell well overseas like a Blue Exorcist,Slam Dunk and Bakuman but like said before it is being scan and translated. so far 5 of the 15 volumes are scanned,translated and available.
Mar 13, 2012 1:54 PM

Apr 2008
So no season 2 then? :(
Thats a real shame, great anime, unique(lots of anime is so generic).
Just becaus it`s josei doesn`t mean it`s bad or unintersting, I think it`s alot of fun watching these characthers work their butts of for what they want.
Hope someone will sponsor it, and that it gets another season later.

Mar 13, 2012 9:49 PM

Feb 2010
My favorite anime of the last 5 seasons or so, I'm really glad they support it, the sales already made me sad :(
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 14, 2012 10:19 AM
Sep 2011
At least i like this show. To bad it probably wont be an second season. :(
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

33 by Yubisoft »»
28 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
10 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.