Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 27, 2014 4:46 PM

Jan 2011
im glad they didnt waste more time fighting that thing cause it looked lame
Horiuchi Kenyuu is supposed to voice badasses not butlers
May 10, 2014 10:10 PM

Jul 2007
I use to always remember thinking. "damn just what kind of family does killua have? what kind of life does he lead here"? It is a major change of setting and his character.

Damn, Mike's design is just really awesome in this 2011 series. I like the more sharper coat of fur compared to his old style design.

Gon's probably thinking, you call this a dog? lol He looks like a beast. I have always loved all the unique animals and creature's in this series. I hope togashi actually elaborates on that concept and introduces far more in the future for world building. Kind of like of one piece.

Correct me if im wrong but didn't gon and company actually end up running from the dog in the 1999 series. Cause that is what i remember.

ArtimesGamerMay 10, 2014 10:44 PM

May 10, 2014 10:42 PM

Jul 2007
DarknessOfEmo said:
Pretty good episode.

Toto_y_Moi said:
Shadow-Chan said:
I need to see more of Mike to confirm that this dog is really scary. I am not convinced enough.

This is all we'll get of Mike for the arc, unless Madhouse adds in some more filler.

For those of you new to the series (or if you've only watched the 1999 series), it's important that you understand just how stupid it was for Gon to try and climb the Testing Gate. This is the first time in which Gon sees that there are consequences to his actions. Regardless of his intent to "rescue" Killua from his family, if he had climbed that wall like a typical Shonen protagonist, Gon would have died almost immediately.

The idea sounds ridiculous even on paper. Gon decides to break into the mansion belonging to the world's greatest assassins? He's twelve. Get real. Moreover, he didn't come to the conclusion after thinking it out rationally or deciding anything. It was something he did impulsively and in blind anger after Gotoh pissed him off.

This is the second time in which we've seen something like this in the series. Remember when Hanzo and Gon faced off in the Final Phase (Episode 19)? There was a line in it that should be addressed:

Gon: "[Hanzo] looks tough, but we should be even in terms of strength and speed."

...what? How can he even begin to believe something like that is true?

Pay attention to the things that Gon says and does. Ask yourself if these things make sense or not. Madhouse really understood what Togashi was trying to do here; the foolhardy, courageous music playing when Gon started climbing was shattered by the next scene.

That I was thinking about in this episode. I completely wonder if he did that than it will be dumb as hell. Not hating, but damn hope he learns from his right from wrongs from his experience once he deals with more to come.
Lol that man looks like he have steroids when he pushed the gate door.
4.5/5 will round this one.

Most protagonist, always have that sort of naive and air headed personality though, that is kind of a popular trend in shonen's. Especially for some one that is only 12 years old. You have to kind of remember that is pretty young and his mature nature of a 12 year is pretty acceptable. Its not out of character. Its how they choose to develop it and show the persons growth through out the story is what makes it satisfying. Eventually gon will change, not just physically, but intelligently and mentally as well.

Jun 20, 2014 2:34 PM

Nov 2011
The guides in this have been funny so far. First the boat guide, now the tour bus guide.

I like the gate guard.

...And what the heck? You call that thing a dog? .-.;

I think Gon has his work cut out for him. It's cute when he gets mad, though.
Jun 25, 2014 3:30 PM

Jan 2013
Didn't expect Gon to be so scared.
Pretty good episode though.
Jul 24, 2014 1:14 PM

Mar 2014
That was a good episode, can't wait for them to reach Killua
Dec 18, 2014 5:13 PM

Aug 2013
That's one cool ass guardian. Remind me a little bit of that Guardian in Dark Souls

The bus guide enthusiasm was really hilarious and adorable.

Killua doesn't seem to be in a good situation at his home. I guess that's what happen when an assassin flee home.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 19, 2014 6:45 PM

Jul 2008
Gon is a straight up brat he thinks his views on something is the right way and when he doesnt get his way he tries to use force
After I Crush Your Dreams......
Your Bones Will Follow......
Mar 17, 2015 1:45 AM
Mar 19, 2015 3:10 PM

Jun 2014
Aww Mike is so kuwaii

Sep 1, 2015 6:24 PM

Feb 2015
Toto_y_Moi said:
There are a few things that I want to mention in regard to the newest episode.

I think that the scene in the beginning of the episode showing what Gon is thinking about in regard to Killua is very well placed. We don't know too much about how deeply Gon feels about certain situations until after he's had time to wind down. Case in point, his conversation with Kurapika at the end of the Fourth Phase: this is the first time in which we see Gon cry in the series.

But this episode pointed towards something different. I don't think it will be much of a spoiler for me to say that this is the last time in which we'll see Mike during the arc (and possibly the last time in the entire series).

Viewers of the old HxH might remember Gon coming face-to-face with the beast in a second confrontation and having to run from him in a chase sequence. That won't happen at all in this version. So my question to you is the following: what purpose did this scene serve in the larger narrative?

Backing up a bit, Gon had been angered by the Zoldyck butler's comments about Killua not having any friends (the same as Illumi, actually).

This is the second time in which Gon has gotten angry thus far in Hunter x Hunter--the first time being the last few minutes of episode 16. But the way in which he reacts isn't exactly...normal.

He decides to climb the Testing Gate. Despite seeing two men being killed by the Zoldyck guard dog earlier in the day, Gon throws caution to the wind and makes his way up. Despite the fact that he's breaking and entering onto the property of the world's most dangerous and notorious family of assassins, he still goes forth and fully intends to climb it--Gon gets several feet off the ground before he decides to stop.

Some would call this courageous. The song playing during this scene is actually called "Boys Be Courageous!" and has thus far mostly played during moments of great valor. But Hunter x Hunter doesn't want you to think of this action as such. How do we know?

The fear. We see Gon's confidence shattered in front of him.

This is the second time in which we've seen Gon genuinely afraid in the entire series as well. The first time was ALSO in episode 16, during that mysterious night with Hisoka. Pay attention to the things that Zebro says to Gon. What is Zebro trying to teach the boy through showing him Mike in person? What does Gon see in the abyss of Mike's eyes?

Come to think about it, how many times thus far have we seen Gon's confidence in himself being shattered in the series? You can already count several occasions in which it happened throughout the Hunter Exam--episode 5, episode 16, episode 19. Gon will be praised for his abilities in one episode and then be completely destroyed by someone else in the next (i.e. Netero praises Gon for his speed in episode 7 and Sedokan does so in episode 9--in episode 19, Gon can't even take a single step without being completely outclassed).

Keep watching for more. The next episode covers one of my favorite chapters in the early parts of HxH.

wonderful post. i also like just how childishly-pee-in-your-pants scared gon is drawn to look. really breaks it down. every few episodes the writer needs to remind the audience - he is just a child (as well as killua, but definitely more so). to be a writer for an animated show and to surely connect with the viewers, you'll need the right stuff with the producers of the show. M/H and Togashi are magic.

kirAth-shiAue said:
Wow Toto_y_Moi, very interesting, detailed and thought out post.

dude's probably been with HXH for nearly ten years, at least. he doesn't look at the episodes anymore. he's past that. he's studying the very art '11 and togashi has made.
AriSky said:
Couple things that distracted me:
-Kurapika's outfit not changing. I know it doesn't affect the plot at all, but it's still nice to see that these aren't just imaginary characters who can magically wear the same thing all the time.
-BGM. OMG. SO DISTRACTING. First the bagpipe/Scottish/Irish/isn't St. Patrick's Day next weekend monstrosity while they're on the way to the area. Then the dumb guitar cacophony when Mike eats the idiots and again when the gang is introduced to Mike.

Beyond that, this was an extremely enjoyable episode. It had the feel of an older anime through most of it, which I loved. It was something a little different from what the rest of this remake has been and I think it accomplished that feeling very well.

Did anyone else catch that Mike's front paws were hands and that his back paws were regular canines'? I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think this was the case in the original art?

i really find it unbelievable that people STILL complaining over a perfectly fine OST....-_-
-----
i liked how gon was going up the wall and had to listen to reason in the end. it's a lovely thought, but you can't achieve dreams just because of how you feel. this really pulled me in. what's going on in the zoldyck home really killed me. what's happening D:
Sep 28, 2015 10:44 PM

May 2015
Mike was 2spooky4me mates.
Jan 7, 2016 2:11 AM

Jun 2015
i was expecting gon to open the testing gate.
May 2, 2016 9:11 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Gon's stubbornness is fantastic. He's such an awesome shounen MC.

4/5
Aug 7, 2016 8:47 PM

May 2014
Damn Killua could open 3 doors? OP as hell lol. Poor Leorio has some work to do xD
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Oct 2, 2016 1:59 AM
Jul 2016
Skeletons in trash-that was unexpected
Oct 2, 2016 8:11 AM

Apr 2016
That dog's eyes haunts me LOL. Great episode though. I'm loving the setting outside of the exams.
Oct 2, 2016 1:43 PM
Dec 2014
The show is sooooo good, it's taking up so much willpower to NOT binge watch the show in subbed since I'm rewatching it in dubbed. (ಠ_ಠ)
Oct 8, 2016 8:51 AM

Apr 2016
^Ditto, I'm already too attached to the dub to switch, yet I'm so very impatient to see what happens next.

Hunter x Hunter is one addictive anime.
Got oppai?
Oct 8, 2016 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
^ I'm watching the sub so...it was nice meeting you. See ya.

OMG! That tour guide is so fine. Damn near had to resist the fap. Adding her to the harem so she can be one of the mothers to my HxH children. I hope we get to see her again.

Damn. They removed the intro. My favorite part was imitating the narrator when saying "Kaiju...Chinju...Zaihou...Hihou" and then skip to the opening.

Gon gonna Gon.
RobOct 8, 2016 12:57 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 23, 2016 12:43 AM

Jun 2016
Gon won't give up on seeing Killua <3
May 6, 2017 4:05 PM
Sep 2014
I wonder if Gon could have opened at least one door
Jun 5, 2017 5:30 AM

Dec 2015
Funny how they've made a deadly assassin family home into a tourist attraction, do the Zoldycks get a piece of that pie? :3
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 24, 2017 11:05 PM

May 2013
Ppl complaining about Gon being a selfish brat, but like. Let's not forget he's only 10???? So what if he wants what he wants, lol. I happen to like Gon for how he is and don't find him annoying X) He's still a kid. Let him be selfish and let him grow from it when he's been proved wrong.
Nov 24, 2017 11:07 PM

May 2013
NoobHunterD said:
the stupid intro is finally dropped.

lol it reminds me of the One Piece intro xP I didn't like nor hate it, but it saves me time on skipping lulz
Dec 14, 2017 1:12 PM

Mar 2016
Damn, they improved the beginning of this arc so much!
May 8, 2018 12:56 AM
May 2018
ive always wondered. if Killua can open 3 gates. How come they took so long to bust through the wall in the tower during the hunter exams
Aug 13, 2018 11:43 PM

Dec 2014
wait what was that exam still continues shit at the end of the previous episode… Impressed of killua family ….the things keep on getting better
Dec 24, 2018 5:03 PM

May 2012
This part with the gate seems to have gone by a whole lot faster compared to the original. Still pretty interesting!
Aug 24, 2019 4:05 AM
Dec 2017
now things getting interesting.. oh my boi keep making my heart cum
Oct 3, 2019 1:34 AM

May 2016
I have a feeling that Gon will continue to be shocked by the grand things he'll be seeing from now on as a Hunter because I've just realized that he's a big fish in a small pond slowly realizing that the reality behind his goal of becoming the man his father is isn't as easy as he thought.

Zebro's a real bro for letting them in even if it'll risk firing him.

Nov 30, 2019 8:11 PM
Oct 2019
Kefkiroth said:
Great episode... the dog was much less scary than I thought lol.
And wow, the security appears to be very good(you don't see an epic butler like that everyday xD).
i thought it would be much less scary, i was waiting for an exagereted beast and it actually was like a real but giant dog. it has that cute dog thing untill you are ten times smaller, like normal dogs and rats.
Dec 1, 2019 10:07 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Now that's a big doggo.
Apr 12, 2020 3:57 PM
Mar 2019
Guide girl is best girl.

Mike is adorable XD

Gon pissing himself after seeing Mike felt real. Likes his reaction.

Why have a butlers have to protect a family of assassins?

Theres 10 of them, highly trained. Im sure they can all take on whoever tried to bust in their house. Just let them try and thats how people know not to mess with them since no one comes out alive, but Gon wants to see his friend.

If he was lying about seeing Killua, and attacked Killua, Killua/ their family can take on whoever tried killing him easily seeing how powerful both brothers we've seen are.
Apr 29, 2020 7:23 AM

Jul 2013
Awww Mike is sucha good boy, I wanna rub his belly
Jul 22, 2020 4:16 AM

Dec 2007
didn't like the episode, don't know if it's the pacing or the content, it felt like a long episode without really any purpose, we know gon's honestly long time ago.
Sep 4, 2020 4:25 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow the Zoldick family seems very odd, well at least Gon is truly determined to save Killua...
Oct 14, 2020 3:24 AM

Apr 2013
The dog really looks pretty normal apart from its size. Maybe a bit more wolf-like.
Mar 1, 2021 9:56 PM

Jun 2020
gon is kinda cute in this ep tho, and that old guy and that big dog ok i forgot its name, that dog is scary too. I like how gon is kind and honest : D
ahhh i wonder what will happen in the next episode

Apr 14, 2021 1:41 PM

Jun 2020
Was that the introduction of nen?
May 12, 2021 10:24 PM

Aug 2018
The butler seems dangerous...

Dec 20, 2021 10:11 AM
Nov 2020
Gon put aside his anger for the sake of another. What a nice kid!
Jan 11, 2022 11:38 AM

Jun 2019
Gon just wants to meet Killua no matter what...
Sep 24, 2022 5:17 PM
Jun 2021
Mike is cute, and Gon is very charismatic. It's a nice anime
Oct 15, 2022 8:54 AM
Aug 2020
Really sad right now since i've been watching the original HunterXHunter not knowing there was a difference between that one and the 2011 one, setting me back 10 episodes.
Oct 15, 2022 1:10 PM
Oct 2022
StapleGolem said:
Really sad right now since i've been watching the original HunterXHunter not knowing there was a difference between that one and the 2011 one, setting me back 10 episodes.

I actually think both are pretty well down. The original is a bit longer but you don't lose too much in the 2011 remake.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.