Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 10, 2012 9:54 PM

Sep 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
No topics? How odd.
It's nice to see them moving on from the exams. Kind of...
Mar 10, 2012 10:40 PM

Jul 2011
I liked this episode! I"m glad they kept the skeletons. I'm excited for next episode. Killua is back!

Gon was very... adorable in this episode. I laughed when he was pissed. Sorry.

Good episode.
Mar 10, 2012 10:48 PM

Oct 2011
Gotoh!
Great episode :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2012 11:08 PM

Dec 2009
Yay, loved this episode as usual. And the gate looks even more epic than before, for some reason.

Hmm, am I remembering it wrongly, though, or wasn't

Anyway, looking forward to next week's episode! xD
Mar 10, 2012 11:11 PM

Oct 2011
Great episode... the dog was much less scary than I thought lol.
And wow, the security appears to be very good(you don't see an epic butler like that everyday xD).
Mar 10, 2012 11:18 PM
Jun 2010
Great Episode. Was surprised they kept the skeletons. Doesn't seem as if there is too much to worry about with the censoring. Like I initially thought, they may start off censoring some things but, as time goes, the degree of the censorship would decrease.

What are y'all thoughts on BGM at the end with the electric guitar? I somewhat liked it.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Mar 10, 2012 11:21 PM

Jan 2012
Vael said:
Yay, loved this episode as usual. And the gate looks even more epic than before, for some reason.

The episode was great. I espcially like Gotoh's part when he was flipping the coin.. It was badass..Next episode seems promising..

Edit: Yeah the OST they played at the end was very fitting. I liked how they used the OST's in this episode in general.. lol
Mar 10, 2012 11:26 PM
Apr 2011
Why is that guide so hot?
Mar 10, 2012 11:27 PM

Oct 2011
Vael said:

Anyway, looking forward to next week's episode! xD

They do, next ep.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2012 11:32 PM

Oct 2011
awsome,hehe i love this part of the series,actualy i like all the arcs^^
Mar 10, 2012 11:35 PM

Nov 2010
Leet guide, leet ep enough said
Mar 11, 2012 12:10 AM
Jun 2009
Anyone know Gotoh's voice actor? Sounded like Kenyuu Horiuchi.
Mar 11, 2012 1:02 AM

Nov 2011
Really good episode this week, and Gotoh is a BOSS!
5/5
Mar 11, 2012 1:21 AM

Oct 2008
Luminaire said:
Anyone know Gotoh's voice actor? Sounded like Kenyuu Horiuchi.

According to this episode's ending credits, it's Kenyuu Horiuchi indeed. Good ear!

I love Gotoh, glad to finally see him appear. I wish they had kept Kurapika's outfit from the manga since it was one of my favorites, but oh well, it's nothing dramatic. Great episode!
Mar 11, 2012 4:54 AM

Oct 2011
Quite suprising... For the first time I expected some 3 headed massive dog to appear but at the end... Still that dog's eyes... Can't wait for the next ep ; D.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2012 5:01 AM

Feb 2012
Mike has epic eyes :3 Can't wait for the next episode!
Mar 11, 2012 5:05 AM

Feb 2009
Is that what I think it is when Zebro opened the main gate?
Or am I just seeing things as I'm excited for the things to come here :P
Mar 11, 2012 6:13 AM
May 2007
I need to see more of Mike to confirm that this dog is really scary. I am not convinced enough.

Vael said:

Mar 11, 2012 7:20 AM
Jun 2008
Its kinda weird using Assassin's hide-out as a tourist attraction.I thought this people suppose to be secretive.

The guide is hot as it was mentioned just now.Her boob jiggle every time she move >.<"
Mar 11, 2012 9:09 AM

Jul 2010
:DDDDDD I LOVE GON! He's so wonderful and brave and just plain awesome <3

5/5 - Great episode. I love the light and happy feel of the show even though this whole Sasuke-like thing is going on. It's great.
Mar 11, 2012 9:10 AM

Jan 2008
Hardly anything happened in this episode, but... MIKE. *_* Does anyone know in which episode of the previous HxH he appeared?
Mar 11, 2012 9:14 AM

Oct 2011
Sedge said:
Hardly anything happened in this episode, but... MIKE. *_* Does anyone know in which episode of the previous HxH he appeared?

Episode 33
Mar 11, 2012 9:20 AM

Oct 2011
Shadow-Chan said:
I need to see more of Mike to confirm that this dog is really scary. I am not convinced enough.

This is all we'll get of Mike for the arc, unless Madhouse adds in some more filler.

For those of you new to the series (or if you've only watched the 1999 series), it's important that you understand just how stupid it was for Gon to try and climb the Testing Gate. This is the first time in which Gon sees that there are consequences to his actions. Regardless of his intent to "rescue" Killua from his family, if he had climbed that wall like a typical Shonen protagonist, Gon would have died almost immediately.

The idea sounds ridiculous even on paper. Gon decides to break into the mansion belonging to the world's greatest assassins? He's twelve. Get real. Moreover, he didn't come to the conclusion after thinking it out rationally or deciding anything. It was something he did impulsively and in blind anger after Gotoh pissed him off.

This is the second time in which we've seen something like this in the series. Remember when Hanzo and Gon faced off in the Final Phase (Episode 19)? There was a line in it that should be addressed:

Gon: "[Hanzo] looks tough, but we should be even in terms of strength and speed."

...what? How can he even begin to believe something like that is true?

Pay attention to the things that Gon says and does. Ask yourself if these things make sense or not. Madhouse really understood what Togashi was trying to do here; the foolhardy, courageous music playing when Gon started climbing was shattered by the next scene.
Mar 11, 2012 12:10 PM

Jul 2010
Toto_y_Moi said:
Shadow-Chan said:

This is all we'll get of Mike for the arc, unless Madhouse adds in some more filler.

For those of you new to the series (or if you've only watched the 1999 series), it's important that you understand just how stupid it was for Gon to try and climb the Testing Gate. This is the first time in which Gon sees that there are consequences to his actions. Regardless of his intent to "rescue" Killua from his family, if he had climbed that wall like a typical Shonen protagonist, Gon would have died almost immediately.

The idea sounds ridiculous even on paper. Gon decides to break into the mansion belonging to the world's greatest assassins? He's twelve. Get real. Moreover, he didn't come to the conclusion after thinking it out rationally or deciding anything. It was something he did impulsively and in blind anger after Gotoh pissed him off.

This is the second time in which we've seen something like this in the series. Remember when Hanzo and Gon faced off in the Final Phase (Episode 19)? There was a line in it that should be addressed:

Gon: "[Hanzo] looks tough, but we should be even in terms of strength and speed."

Pay attention to the things that Gon says and does. Ask yourself if these things make sense or not. Madhouse really understood what Togashi was trying to do here; the foolhardy, courageous music playing when Gon started climbing was shattered by the next scene.

im glad they also showed gon pissing his pants after seeing mike, even if he's good with animals, it would be too unnatural to have him be able to tame even this big monster at his age.

and i totally forgot about that line with gon against hanzo, he didnt say that in this one.

Mar 11, 2012 12:53 PM

Jan 2012
MorningGlory said:
Its kinda weird using Assassin's hide-out as a tourist attraction.I thought this people suppose to be secretive.

The guide is hot as it was mentioned just now.Her boob jiggle every time she move >.<"

If you remember in previous episodes Illumi said that his family doesn't hide anything even where they live. As you can see why from this last episode.. lol
Mar 11, 2012 12:53 PM

Jan 2008
I don't remember when it happened in the original version but weren't they suppose to open the gates themselves or did they do the training inside the gate? or was that a filler?
Mar 11, 2012 12:55 PM

Jan 2012
Paul said:
I don't remember when it happened in the original version but weren't they suppose to open the gates themselves or did they do the training inside the gate? or was that a filler?

It's in the next episode most likely. You could see from the previews Gon doesn't have his arm brace anymore.
Mar 11, 2012 1:06 PM

Oct 2011
Paul said:

Mar 11, 2012 4:23 PM

Feb 2012
supermegasonic said:
and i totally forgot about that line with gon against hanzo, he didnt say that in this one.

I just checked episode 19, and yes, he said it.
Mar 12, 2012 7:07 AM

Sep 2007
The guide is so ... *___*
Mar 12, 2012 9:09 AM

Jul 2011
Mikes eyes looked more cold blooded and menacing in the old HxH o.o He almost looked friendly compared to the old one lol
Mar 13, 2012 11:08 AM

Jul 2011
-White Mike was Creepier -_-'

-Gon's so Cuute <3

-If I was a Hunter, I would want to Kill Gotoh >_> He pisses me off!

-The electric Guitar BGM was Awesome <3
QaosMar 13, 2012 11:12 AM
Mar 13, 2012 12:59 PM

Jul 2009
The pacing is great - I'm looking forward to seeing the portrayal of Killua's oddball family and before that - Canary.
I'm looking forward to next week.

Mike needs to gain a few pounds.:P

Mar 13, 2012 5:05 PM

Jul 2009
They skipped the introduction... And I was so looking forward to it again... :(
Mar 13, 2012 5:50 PM

Nov 2011
I'm glad the introduction is gone... lol.
Mar 16, 2012 9:14 AM

Sep 2011
well, they played it for 21 episodes, I think even the new guys know by now what this world is about now. the same thing is in OP and FMA they do it for a while then stop at somepoint (well OP kinda went back to it but it looks like they'll stop soon)

This was a great ep, only gripe that mike wasn't scary looking enough, Those wide ass eyes are OK, but the resp of him dosn't look that threatning. Maybe if his fur was more scruffly looking, or youknow, SOMETHING. but oh well, we won't be seeing him again so it dosn't matter.

also who thought gon's eyes looked creepy at the begining?
Mar 16, 2012 12:44 PM

Oct 2011
NJZanDatsu said:
I'm glad the introduction is gone... lol.

Well, the hunter exam is over so yea :P
Wonder if there will be a GI intro when they get there, that would be cool
Mar 16, 2012 1:50 PM

Oct 2011
There are a few things that I want to mention in regard to the newest episode.

I think that the scene in the beginning of the episode showing what Gon is thinking about in regard to Killua is very well placed. We don't know too much about how deeply Gon feels about certain situations until after he's had time to wind down. Case in point, his conversation with Kurapika at the end of the Fourth Phase: this is the first time in which we see Gon cry in the series.

But this episode pointed towards something different. I don't think it will be much of a spoiler for me to say that this is the last time in which we'll see Mike during the arc (and possibly the last time in the entire series).

Viewers of the old HxH might remember Gon coming face-to-face with the beast in a second confrontation and having to run from him in a chase sequence. That won't happen at all in this version. So my question to you is the following: what purpose did this scene serve in the larger narrative?

Backing up a bit, Gon had been angered by the Zoldyck butler's comments about Killua not having any friends (the same as Illumi, actually).

This is the second time in which Gon has gotten angry thus far in Hunter x Hunter--the first time being the last few minutes of episode 16. But the way in which he reacts isn't exactly...normal.

He decides to climb the Testing Gate. Despite seeing two men being killed by the Zoldyck guard dog earlier in the day, Gon throws caution to the wind and makes his way up. Despite the fact that he's breaking and entering onto the property of the world's most dangerous and notorious family of assassins, he still goes forth and fully intends to climb it--Gon gets several feet off the ground before he decides to stop.

Some would call this courageous. The song playing during this scene is actually called "Boys Be Courageous!" and has thus far mostly played during moments of great valor. But Hunter x Hunter doesn't want you to think of this action as such. How do we know?

The fear. We see Gon's confidence shattered in front of him.

This is the second time in which we've seen Gon genuinely afraid in the entire series as well. The first time was ALSO in episode 16, during that mysterious night with Hisoka. Pay attention to the things that Zebro says to Gon. What is Zebro trying to teach the boy through showing him Mike in person? What does Gon see in the abyss of Mike's eyes?

Come to think about it, how many times thus far have we seen Gon's confidence in himself being shattered in the series? You can already count several occasions in which it happened throughout the Hunter Exam--episode 5, episode 16, episode 19. Gon will be praised for his abilities in one episode and then be completely destroyed by someone else in the next (i.e. Netero praises Gon for his speed in episode 7 and Sedokan does so in episode 9--in episode 19, Gon can't even take a single step without being completely outclassed).

Keep watching for more. The next episode covers one of my favorite chapters in the early parts of HxH.
Mar 16, 2012 7:02 PM

Oct 2007
Couple things that distracted me:
-Kurapika's outfit not changing. I know it doesn't affect the plot at all, but it's still nice to see that these aren't just imaginary characters who can magically wear the same thing all the time.
-BGM. OMG. SO DISTRACTING. First the bagpipe/Scottish/Irish/isn't St. Patrick's Day next weekend monstrosity while they're on the way to the area. Then the dumb guitar cacophony when Mike eats the idiots and again when the gang is introduced to Mike.

Beyond that, this was an extremely enjoyable episode. It had the feel of an older anime through most of it, which I loved. It was something a little different from what the rest of this remake has been and I think it accomplished that feeling very well.

Did anyone else catch that Mike's front paws were hands and that his back paws were regular canines'? I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think this was the case in the original art?
Apr 3, 2012 9:18 AM

Apr 2012
The moment they are talking about the doors and how much they weigh it seems that there is a miscalculation. My japanese is limited, however I can count and the translation of horrible subs is spot on about the numbers. 2 tons, 3 gates, 16 tons.
However I guess the problem in the translation is the 'doubled' , it probably should be each door increases in weight squared.
2 - 4 - 16.
I checked the original anime, and they say exactly the same.

Anyone proficient enough in japanese to be able to tell me if this is a bad translation or just a miscalculation on the writers part?
Apr 3, 2012 10:08 AM

Mar 2012
Fluxje said:
The moment they are talking about the doors and how much they weigh it seems that there is a miscalculation. My japanese is limited, however I can count and the translation of horrible subs is spot on about the numbers. 2 tons, 3 gates, 16 tons.
However I guess the problem in the translation is the 'doubled' , it probably should be each door increases in weight squared.
2 - 4 - 16.

Anyone proficient enough in japanese to be able to tell me if this is a bad translation or just a miscalculation on the writers part?

Each SIDE weighs 2 tons, the first gate would be 4 tons in total ;)
End Zionazism
Apr 3, 2012 1:38 PM

Apr 2012
Mikasa said:
Fluxje said:
2 - 4 - 16.

Each SIDE weighs 2 tons, the first gate would be 4 tons in total ;)

Aaaah ofcourse. The most obvious things are often the ones that elude us, thanks alot :)
May 17, 2012 7:27 AM

Jul 2009
The butler is so awesome. He reminds me a little of the butler from Usopp's island in One Piece.
Jul 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Jan 2012
the stupid intro is finally dropped.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 15, 2012 5:43 AM

Jun 2009
Toto_y_Moi said:
There are a few things that I want to mention in regard to the newest episode.

I think that the scene in the beginning of the episode showing what Gon is thinking about in regard to Killua is very well placed. We don't know too much about how deeply Gon feels about certain situations until after he's had time to wind down. Case in point, his conversation with Kurapika at the end of the Fourth Phase: this is the first time in which we see Gon cry in the series.

But this episode pointed towards something different. I don't think it will be much of a spoiler for me to say that this is the last time in which we'll see Mike during the arc (and possibly the last time in the entire series).

Viewers of the old HxH might remember Gon coming face-to-face with the beast in a second confrontation and having to run from him in a chase sequence. That won't happen at all in this version. So my question to you is the following: what purpose did this scene serve in the larger narrative?

Backing up a bit, Gon had been angered by the Zoldyck butler's comments about Killua not having any friends (the same as Illumi, actually).

This is the second time in which Gon has gotten angry thus far in Hunter x Hunter--the first time being the last few minutes of episode 16. But the way in which he reacts isn't exactly...normal.

He decides to climb the Testing Gate. Despite seeing two men being killed by the Zoldyck guard dog earlier in the day, Gon throws caution to the wind and makes his way up. Despite the fact that he's breaking and entering onto the property of the world's most dangerous and notorious family of assassins, he still goes forth and fully intends to climb it--Gon gets several feet off the ground before he decides to stop.

Some would call this courageous. The song playing during this scene is actually called "Boys Be Courageous!" and has thus far mostly played during moments of great valor. But Hunter x Hunter doesn't want you to think of this action as such. How do we know?

The fear. We see Gon's confidence shattered in front of him.

This is the second time in which we've seen Gon genuinely afraid in the entire series as well. The first time was ALSO in episode 16, during that mysterious night with Hisoka. Pay attention to the things that Zebro says to Gon. What is Zebro trying to teach the boy through showing him Mike in person? What does Gon see in the abyss of Mike's eyes?

Come to think about it, how many times thus far have we seen Gon's confidence in himself being shattered in the series? You can already count several occasions in which it happened throughout the Hunter Exam--episode 5, episode 16, episode 19. Gon will be praised for his abilities in one episode and then be completely destroyed by someone else in the next (i.e. Netero praises Gon for his speed in episode 7 and Sedokan does so in episode 9--in episode 19, Gon can't even take a single step without being completely outclassed).

Keep watching for more. The next episode covers one of my favorite chapters in the early parts of HxH.

This....was an interesting read to say the least. It's interesting how this series actually treats normally "heroic" actions as though they are as foolish as they actually are.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 10, 2012 10:03 AM

Mar 2007
Wow Toto_y_Moi, very interesting, detailed and thought out post.

Love how the gate looked. Still hate Gotoh. Mike looked scarier in the original, and they took out the chase scene. Still a really good episode. 4/5.
Jun 11, 2013 6:31 PM

Dec 2012
kirAth-shiAue said:
Wow Toto_y_Moi, very interesting, detailed and thought out post.

Love how the gate looked. Still hate Gotoh. Mike looked scarier in the original, and they took out the chase scene. Still a really good episode. 4/5.

The chase scene will probably be in the next episode after they train.
Jul 23, 2013 2:47 PM
Jul 2012
Pretty good episode.

Toto_y_Moi said:
Shadow-Chan said:

That I was thinking about in this episode. I completely wonder if he did that than it will be dumb as hell. Not hating, but damn hope he learns from his right from wrongs from his experience once he deals with more to come.
Lol that man looks like he have steroids when he pushed the gate door.
4.5/5 will round this one.
Dec 31, 2013 7:44 PM

Jul 2013
I bet Hisoka can slice that Mike in one swing of his cards.
Mar 29, 2014 1:46 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode, a little slow though, but it was good.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.