Forum Settings
Forums

Using machine learning to figure out what to watch next

New
Mar 10, 2012 3:38 AM
Feb 2012
I made a recommendation system for your MAL anime profile ratings using machine learning. It uses an algorithm that is very close to what Netflix uses.

http://animecf.com/

What do you think? I'm curious about your opinions on its accuracy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 10, 2012 3:49 AM

Jan 2012
I just tested it. Meh.. it has a lot of "hit-and-miss" going on. It names a few anime that are on my PTW and a few I've been meaning to add, but more than half of them are random anime, many that I've never even heard of and probably don't wanna see.

All in all, I'd say it would work pretty well for someone who has no idea what to watch next and also has no one to recommend stuff to them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2012 3:59 AM
Feb 2012
I think for some reason reading your profile broke in the process and was excluded in the indexing. Can you take a look again? (I don't know how prevalent this problem is but if it doesn't recognize your MAL username, shoot me an email or message on MAL).

The recommendations only look at stuff you've given a number rating. It doesn't take into account stuff on your "Plan to Watch" at all. If a lot of the stuff is similar, that's a good sign that it works, and may give you a good idea on which to prioritize.
Mar 10, 2012 3:59 AM

Apr 2011
Given the description from the "Ratings" tab, some of the anime choices do make sense.

That said, this is really impressive. It makes it easier to choose from a large backlog.
opernliedMar 10, 2012 4:03 AM
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
Mar 10, 2012 4:01 AM
May 2010
Thats pretty cool. Really cool, even. Suggested a few things I am interested in and a few things currently on my watching list(Might want to make it ignore something on your watching list?)

Ive been having trouble finding new interesting things for quite a while now so this is quite an interesting tool.
Worships Asparagus.
Mar 10, 2012 4:03 AM

Dec 2011
it's recommended stuff for me that are on my on hold list (angel beats) and my drop list (AnoHana - seriously? it's 15th on the list but eww) as well as stuff on plan to watch. For some reason it hasn't acknowledged that I've already rated AnoHana with a well deserved 4/10.

Still could be helpful though.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 10, 2012 4:11 AM
Feb 2012
kuuderes_shadow: It computed the ratings on 2/25, it looks like you rated anohana on 2/29. Try hitting "Queue Update Recommendation List". It should have that updated. If you don't want to include Angel Beats, try giving it a number score, and it won't include it either. I've flagged yours for a queue update myself, you should get an updated list within 10 minutes.

I can't do this stuff live, it has to pre-compute your recommendations because it takes a lot of computing power/time.
Mar 10, 2012 4:16 AM

Dec 2011
I did that but nothing happened.

Reloaded the page though now (having already clicked that link) and it's fixed.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 10, 2012 4:26 AM

May 2010
This one seems pretty nice. We've had one of these before, but tbh it didn't work out as well as this one.
Getting fast results, and also pretty good stuff. There was hardly anything on my recs that I would've minded too much (skipped through quickly).

Good job!

~ Love knows no boundaries ~ -- Thanks to -Luzifer- for the signature.
Mar 10, 2012 4:46 AM

Nov 2010
half what i got i allready planned, and the other half i don't want :D (and there was a tv drama in there for some reason)

but still nice effort
Mar 10, 2012 6:17 AM

Aug 2010
It gave me a pretty decent looking list.

I will admit I am planning to watch a lot of these but I'm sure this'll be pretty useful to the newer crowd.

If I was to rate it as an ap i'd give it 3 or 4 out of 5.
Mar 10, 2012 6:29 AM

Dec 2009
Pretty cool feature. But it won't matter. I'll go with what I have planned atm.
Mar 10, 2012 7:07 AM

Oct 2011
update: works now
it's interesting - I'll save this page for myself as it can come handy
there are some hits and misses here and there (lots of specials for example)
but it can be usefull

overall: I like it
Dalek-bakaMar 10, 2012 7:22 AM
Mar 10, 2012 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
I'm liking this. I was shocked when Elfen Lied was the top choice though. I tried to watch it twice and always stopped after the first episode. I DO want to get to it though.

For some reason, Angel Beats! is in there, and I've already watched that. I'm assuming it means the old version of Kanon, so I don't think that's a mistake.

I do like it, but somehow I found 90% of that list and planned to watch it before I saw it on the list, so I must know what anime I like pretty well.
Mar 10, 2012 8:01 AM
Dec 2011
Pretty cool. 4/5
Mar 10, 2012 8:03 AM

Dec 2011
Khaoscontrol said:
I'm liking this. I was shocked when Elfen Lied was the top choice though. I tried to watch it twice and always stopped after the first episode. I DO want to get to it though.

For some reason, Angel Beats! is in there, and I've already watched that. I'm assuming it means the old version of Kanon, so I don't think that's a mistake.

You don't have Angel Beats! on your list.
Mar 10, 2012 8:05 AM

Sep 2011
This somehow seems REALLY accurate in my case.

I'm impressed, congrats on the good work.
No.
Mar 10, 2012 9:10 AM

Sep 2010
Nice although some of the stuff on that list I completed, is on my PTW, or is on hold.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 10, 2012 9:19 AM

Sep 2009
Hmm! It names most of the stuff on my PTW as well as stuff I know I want to watch. Good job. It only named a few that I know I wouldn't try - but now perhaps I'll try them ;p
Mar 10, 2012 9:21 AM

Sep 2011
It gave me alot of titles I was actually planning to add to my list sooner or later, but for some reason it also gave me some i'm already watching or completed. For instance it recommended me nisemonogatari which I'm watching and Beck which I completed just 2 days ago. (which I also liked and the estimated score was actually very close to the one I gave it.)
Would it also be possible to do this for manga?
Mar 10, 2012 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
lololol at Higurashi being at the top of the recommended.

But nice list. I like it a lot. Good job.
Mar 10, 2012 10:25 AM

Mar 2009
8.300 Gintama'

lol I'm never watching that. Other than that it was ok.
Mar 10, 2012 11:32 AM

Feb 2012
Eh. not really accurate in my case. But then, I'm hard to predict XD.
Mar 10, 2012 11:45 AM

May 2008
Very, very cool jcp. I'm not sure what's with all the opposing feedback in this thread, but excellent work. I'm finding so many titles with good potential that I've never heard of. If you don't mind, how does your predicted score algorithm work? I'm going to guess: does it simply check if we've seen some of the recommended titles under a target anime, and then average the scores we gave the recommended titles? That would be pretty simple. If not, another guess: do you average scores we've given for anime under certain genres? e.g. Black Lagoon is Action & Seinen, so average my score for all Action titles I've seen and all Seinen titles I've scored to get my predicted score for Black Lagoon?

One request: would you please allow more than 100 results? Possibly a "See More" button?

RedStarLight said:
but more than half of them are random anime, many that I've never even heard of and probably don't wanna see.
Isn't that the point of a recommendation system? I mean, I'm not sure if I'm reading it wrong, but are you saying if you've never heard of it, you probably don't want to see it? Wow.

EDIT:
Just read your "About" page. Nevermind about my guesses above. Excellent. I can't wait to try out your statement:
your recommendations' score predictions should be on average no more than 1.25 points off what you will rate it after watching the Anime.
If only I had time.
FauxAznMar 10, 2012 12:09 PM
Mar 10, 2012 11:50 AM

Dec 2010
Mine was pretty damn accurate except for one or two that it took off of my "Completed" list.

Either way it's awesome.
Mar 10, 2012 11:59 AM

Dec 2011
Decently accurate. A lot of the titles are on my PTW list. It would be better if you disregarded the dropped and stalled titles, though - for instance, out of the the top ten recs, I've dropped two and stalled three, and when you add the one that I have no intention of watching (and is really a bizarre rec to me), I'm left with 4/10. Still, I would have been happy to have found something like this back when I was at ~20 watched. Anyway, I too would be very interested in a manga version of this. Please consider it.
Mar 10, 2012 12:20 PM

Mar 2009
FauxAzn said:
RedStarLight said:
but more than half of them are random anime, many that I've never even heard of and probably don't wanna see.
Isn't that the point of a recommendation system? I mean, I'm not sure if I'm reading it wrong, but are you saying if you've never heard of it, you probably don't want to see it? Wow.
--My thoughts exactly.

It gave me lots of stuff already in PTW. Reminded me of a few things I needed to update. And gave me all kinds of sports stuff. I HATE SPORTS, especially baseball, basketball, and football. Boxing and marital arts are a little different.

Also gave me all kinds of recap specials I had no interest in.

It did list a number of vintage titles which was good but I can't say it ever really captured the essence of the kind of shows I am most interested in. I will say that I saw a decided lack of moe/school/rom/com and that was a very good thing. I hate that more than I do sports.

You have my admiration for even being able to undertake something like this.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Mar 10, 2012 12:27 PM

Feb 2011
Hit or miss, nice try though.
Mar 10, 2012 12:38 PM

Sep 2011
Mar 10, 2012 12:49 PM

Jan 2011
Hahaha!!
Just about everything that it gave me were things I currently have on my Plan to Watch list that have been recommended to me by friends.
So, that's pretty awesome and accurate! I'll have to use it in the future!
Thanks!
Mar 10, 2012 1:35 PM

Aug 2011
Interesting...there were several that I know I will never watch, but those were all at the very bottom. For the most part the top 20 or so were very accurate.
Mar 10, 2012 2:03 PM

Dec 2011
http://animecf.com/mal/Xtc

I agree. Alot of hit and miss. I have been meaning to watch Clannad and Gurren Lagann. It lists alot of more movies and OVA's than actual TV series, dissapointed.
Mar 10, 2012 2:51 PM

Mar 2009
It displayed some titles that I'm interested in watching.
Mar 10, 2012 8:02 PM

May 2009
Bookmarked...it actually showed me a couple of shows I've completed but failed to list. Amazing! It made me DL 2 more shows from the rec and might actually get me to see shows I've been meaning to, for the last few aeons.

Speed Dialed.
Mar 10, 2012 8:16 PM

Jul 2010
I'm surprised with what was suggested. I got a lot of sport based animes >_<
But this is still a good, saw a few I didn't have on my ptw that I would be interested in.
Mar 10, 2012 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
For me, it was pretty accurate bar a few things I've dropped or seen. It gave me a lot of things I planned to watch that I didn't actually put on my PTW list. Though I still prefer to compose my own PTW, it's still a very interesting and quite useful tool.
Mar 10, 2012 9:25 PM

Aug 2010
Interesting. For some reason most of the titles it gives me are older, and it REALLY wants me to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. It also recommended Haibane Renmei, despite the fact that I've already seen it. In any case, I've added a few new titles to my PTW, we'll see if I actually get to any of them.
Mar 10, 2012 10:07 PM

Sep 2011
Its pretty good actually. If I didn't already have most of them on my PTW list already this would have been perfect! xD

Like someone else said, good for newcomers! :)
Mar 10, 2012 10:11 PM

Jan 2012
Horrible.
Horrible.

It just recommended GUNDAM to me, like 6 times.
Uhh....I HATE mecha anime. Dah fuck man
Mar 10, 2012 10:17 PM

Sep 2011
Great work.
Although it named a few which I've already seen.
Mar 10, 2012 10:19 PM

Sep 2011
Rawrol said:
Great work.
Although it named a few which I've already seen.

Yeah same here. When I checked what Animes I have rated on that website, it doesn't say some of the Animes I have in fact already rated.
Mar 10, 2012 10:24 PM

Dec 2010
OriginANIME said:

Yeah same here. When I checked what Animes I have rated on that website, it doesn't say some of the Animes I have in fact already rated.

Click on "Queue Update Recommendation List " then enter the capcha yada yada, it should be up to date with your list
#PrayForKyoAni
Mar 10, 2012 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, everything this recommended was either stuff I'm interested in or stuff I've watched and loved.

10/10
Mar 10, 2012 10:28 PM
Aug 2010
I tried it with someone else and it perfectly estimated our appreciation of some anime we were watching, it impressed me and made me want to check out its actual recommendations (those that I'm not already watching, that is).

Mar 10, 2012 10:34 PM
Feb 2012
LittleChocoWolf: The system isn't designed to be perfectly psychic, the first Gundam recommendation barely made the top 20.

Try rating things it gets wrong with low scores and hit "Queue Update Recommendation List". If you haven't given any indication you wouldn't like mecha anime, it won't know. You only need to rate a couple mecha with low scores, you don't have to do them all, it'll figure itself out. If there's any errors in your recommendations, even one correction will make it more accurate by an order of magnitude, so I'd encourage you to fill any gaps. In fact, if you give mecha low ratings, it'll help others with the exact same preferences as you, as it will decrease THEIR odds of getting mecha recommendations when I do a full recompute. :-)

If you don't like it having Sequels/OAVs/Movies or things you've already watched, rate them on your MAL and it won't be recommended. The reason it likes recommending OAVs/Movies is because it knows for a fact you like the TV show, so if you were going to watch any one thing, it knows for a fact you'll probably like the movie.

Hope that helps!
jcpMar 10, 2012 10:55 PM
Mar 10, 2012 10:43 PM

May 2010
nice...

no program for manga?
Mar 10, 2012 10:54 PM
Feb 2012
petalshreds said:
nice...

no program for manga?

Maybe, I'm not sure if there's enough manga ratings to get good results, I might try it with a small sample next month and see if there's enough data.

I never bothered because I don't read manga, and I mainly just wrote this at first for my own use.
Mar 10, 2012 10:59 PM

May 2010
jcp said:
petalshreds said:
nice...

no program for manga?

Maybe, I'm not sure if there's enough manga ratings to get good results, I might try it with a small sample next month and see if there's enough data.

I never bothered because I don't read manga, and I mainly just wrote this at first for my own use.

thank you very much, i really appreciate it.
Mar 11, 2012 12:37 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty cool. For the two I already watched, the ratings were quite accurate too. Good work.

On another note, I'm scared by the data, as it suggests there are only five other series out there which I will give an 8 or higher to.
AzureBluesMar 11, 2012 8:11 PM
Mar 11, 2012 6:02 AM

Jul 2011
Very interesting, and I found it to be accurate. I'm curious as we move on into the future, how will new anime be handled? That is to say once an anime starts airing, could it potentially show up on my list as it airs, or would it be more likely once the show has completed or something entirely different?

The only thing I saw that I did not much care for were specials being on the list. Since I don't rate them as I view them as part of the original show, so there were a few on my list. I don't like how MAL handles "specials" as a seperate listing, but that's not your fault obviously. Going forward though if there were a way to exclude specials that would be great, if not...not really a big deal.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - 2 hours ago

0 by Cammell »»
2 hours ago

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - Yesterday

0 by Luffie00 »»
Yesterday, 7:01 PM

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

10 by JKKH »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

357 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Yesterday

2 by Cammell »»
Yesterday, 6:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.