MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Using machine learning to figure out what to watch next
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Creative Corner »» Using machine learning to figure out what to watch next

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
03-10-12, 3:38 AM

I made a recommendation system for your MAL anime profile ratings using machine learning. It uses an algorithm that is very close to what Netflix uses.

http://animecf.com/

What do you think? I'm curious about your opinions on its accuracy.

03-10-12, 3:49 AM

I just tested it. Meh.. it has a lot of "hit-and-miss" going on. It names a few anime that are on my PTW and a few I've been meaning to add, but more than half of them are random anime, many that I've never even heard of and probably don't wanna see.

All in all, I'd say it would work pretty well for someone who has no idea what to watch next and also has no one to recommend stuff to them.

03-10-12, 3:59 AM

I think for some reason reading your profile broke in the process and was excluded in the indexing. Can you take a look again? (I don't know how prevalent this problem is but if it doesn't recognize your MAL username, shoot me an email or message on MAL).

The recommendations only look at stuff you've given a number rating. It doesn't take into account stuff on your "Plan to Watch" at all. If a lot of the stuff is similar, that's a good sign that it works, and may give you a good idea on which to prioritize.

03-10-12, 3:59 AM
Anime Moderator
Given the description from the "Ratings" tab, some of the anime choices do make sense.

That said, this is really impressive. It makes it easier to choose from a large backlog.
Modified by opernlied, 03-10-12, 4:03 AM
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

03-10-12, 4:01 AM

Thats pretty cool. Really cool, even. Suggested a few things I am interested in and a few things currently on my watching list(Might want to make it ignore something on your watching list?)

Ive been having trouble finding new interesting things for quite a while now so this is quite an interesting tool.
Worships Asparagus.

03-10-12, 4:03 AM

it's recommended stuff for me that are on my on hold list (angel beats) and my drop list (AnoHana - seriously? it's 15th on the list but eww) as well as stuff on plan to watch. For some reason it hasn't acknowledged that I've already rated AnoHana with a well deserved 4/10.

Still could be helpful though.
Best selling Light Novel volumes of 2014/all time*.
*that there is data for

A light novel is not a manga. They are completely different things. Please do not refer to 'the manga' when talking about a light novel series, unless you are specifically referring to a manga adaptation that it may have received.
Likewise a light novel is not a genre. Judging a series based on it being a light novel or adaptation of one merely makes you look like an idiot.

03-10-12, 4:11 AM

kuuderes_shadow: It computed the ratings on 2/25, it looks like you rated anohana on 2/29. Try hitting "Queue Update Recommendation List". It should have that updated. If you don't want to include Angel Beats, try giving it a number score, and it won't include it either. I've flagged yours for a queue update myself, you should get an updated list within 10 minutes.

I can't do this stuff live, it has to pre-compute your recommendations because it takes a lot of computing power/time.

03-10-12, 4:16 AM

I did that but nothing happened.

Reloaded the page though now (having already clicked that link) and it's fixed.
*that there is data for

A light novel is not a manga. They are completely different things. Please do not refer to 'the manga' when talking about a light novel series, unless you are specifically referring to a manga adaptation that it may have received.
Likewise a light novel is not a genre. Judging a series based on it being a light novel or adaptation of one merely makes you look like an idiot.

03-10-12, 4:26 AM

This one seems pretty nice. We've had one of these before, but tbh it didn't work out as well as this one.
Getting fast results, and also pretty good stuff. There was hardly anything on my recs that I would've minded too much (skipped through quickly).

Good job!

03-10-12, 4:46 AM

half what i got i allready planned, and the other half i don't want :D (and there was a tv drama in there for some reason)

but still nice effort
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

03-10-12, 6:17 AM

It gave me a pretty decent looking list.

I will admit I am planning to watch a lot of these but I'm sure this'll be pretty useful to the newer crowd.

If I was to rate it as an ap i'd give it 3 or 4 out of 5.
ha ha, charade you are

03-10-12, 6:29 AM

Pretty cool feature. But it won't matter. I'll go with what I have planned atm.

Are you sexy as f*ck? If yes, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Join MAL's sexiest users!!!!!

03-10-12, 7:07 AM

update: works now
it's interesting - I'll save this page for myself as it can come handy
there are some hits and misses here and there (lots of specials for example)
but it can be usefull

overall: I like it
Modified by Dalek-baka, 03-10-12, 7:22 AM
Please join this club if you wish for news threads of un-aired anime to be unlocked/stop being locked!

03-10-12, 7:28 AM

I'm liking this. I was shocked when Elfen Lied was the top choice though. I tried to watch it twice and always stopped after the first episode. I DO want to get to it though.

For some reason, Angel Beats! is in there, and I've already watched that. I'm assuming it means the old version of Kanon, so I don't think that's a mistake.

I do like it, but somehow I found 90% of that list and planned to watch it before I saw it on the list, so I must know what anime I like pretty well.

03-10-12, 8:01 AM

Pretty cool. 4/5

03-10-12, 8:03 AM

Khaoscontrol said:
I'm liking this. I was shocked when Elfen Lied was the top choice though. I tried to watch it twice and always stopped after the first episode. I DO want to get to it though.

For some reason, Angel Beats! is in there, and I've already watched that. I'm assuming it means the old version of Kanon, so I don't think that's a mistake.

You don't have Angel Beats! on your list.
*that there is data for

03-10-12, 8:05 AM

This somehow seems REALLY accurate in my case.

I'm impressed, congrats on the good work.
No.

03-10-12, 9:10 AM

Nice although some of the stuff on that list I completed, is on my PTW, or is on hold.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"

03-10-12, 9:19 AM

Hmm! It names most of the stuff on my PTW as well as stuff I know I want to watch. Good job. It only named a few that I know I wouldn't try - but now perhaps I'll try them ;p

03-10-12, 9:21 AM

It gave me alot of titles I was actually planning to add to my list sooner or later, but for some reason it also gave me some i'm already watching or completed. For instance it recommended me nisemonogatari which I'm watching and Beck which I completed just 2 days ago. (which I also liked and the estimated score was actually very close to the one I gave it.)
Would it also be possible to do this for manga?

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices