Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly DVD & CD Rankings for Feb 27 - Mar 4

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 6, 2012 8:45 AM

Jan 2011
Gikari said:
So you think your taste is better than the others?

I didn't say that, did I? There mere fact that random ecchis and harems are selling better than normal animes is terrible. That's what I meant. I don't think I need to add IMO at the end of every post in order to mean it as my own opinion, because undoubtedly, it is. It's internets, you know.

Just wait until you see how much Highschool DxD and Nisemonogatari sell.
[center]
Mar 6, 2012 9:21 AM

Apr 2010
articuzwolf said:
manglobe fail to deliver I guess, well it's still 4000k and above manabi line

but for HNG and Movie as well?

Shana didn't do quite well as well

maybe people just get tired of the franchise OR JC Staff

The problem with Shana is that they waited way too long since the last season. At this point, many people have lost interest.

Same thing with Zero no Tsukaima, which also flopped in sales.

Mar 6, 2012 9:47 AM

May 2009
More lolis with basketballs, please. The demand is there, so make more, dammit.

Also, I'm kinda expecting Nisemonogatari to break the record SHAFT holds with Madoka Magica. Given that its ED single is already selling like hotcakes, I'm sure the actual show will too.

RyanSaotome said:
articuzwolf said:
manglobe fail to deliver I guess, well it's still 4000k and above manabi line

but for HNG and Movie as well?

Shana didn't do quite well as well

maybe people just get tired of the franchise OR JC Staff

The problem with Shana is that they waited way too long since the last season. At this point, many people have lost interest.

Same thing with Zero no Tsukaima, which also flopped in sales.

Well, it was either wait for the authors to work on the final chapters, or end the franchises with anime-original endings. I'm pretty sure the LN readers would be quite pissed if they had done the latter, meaning that only the anime-only viewers might end up enjoying them the most. So, I think sales wouldn't have been much different either way.
Firelord76Mar 6, 2012 9:56 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2012 11:05 AM
Aug 2011
Harukaze By Scandal, My favorite Bleach Song. Good to see it's still selling good. Although it did come so much later than when the opening was first used
Mar 6, 2012 11:21 AM

May 2008
i guess the HNG sales are low because the movie was sold with the manga volume!
Mar 6, 2012 11:27 AM

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:

Single CD
11, 11,426 11,426 Ano Natsu de Matteru "Vidro Moyo"
25, *3,915 35,015 Aquarion Evol "Kimi no Shinwa ~Aquarion Dai 2 Sho"
28, *3,684 29,605 Bleach "Harukaze"
30, *3,428 *3,428 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai "Sakurairo Sotsugyo" & "Bare Bare Valentine"
39, *1,923 12,454 Bleach "Mask"
50, *1,425 11,854 Kaji Yuki "sense of wonder"

Album CD
*2, 19,629 19,629 Fullmetal Alchemist The Best
*3, 15,031 15,031 Chihara Minori "D-Formation"
34, *3,338 21,796 Horie Yui "Himitsu"
50, *2,036 *2,036 K-On! (Movie) Official Band Scores

Yay~~, glad that sense of wonder is hanging there!!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 6, 2012 1:20 PM

Oct 2007
Gikari said:
I didn't say that, did I? There mere fact that random ecchis and harems are selling better than normal animes is terrible. That's what I meant. I don't think I need to add IMO at the end of every post in order to mean it as my own opinion, because undoubtedly, it is. It's internets, you know.

Well you might not saying the actual words yourself but you just called them random shows while thinking your favourite show is normal.

And to put more fire, How is that someone doing great with their business making someone else feel terrible? I just don't get it.
Is selling more of these RANDOM shows making NORMAL shows selling less?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Mar 6, 2012 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
dczzz said:
Ro-Kyu-bu?? Really?? I know people like loli's but WOW.

Yup, if Ro-Kyu-bu surprised you, how about sekei ichi hatsukoi? that surprised me even more.
Mar 6, 2012 2:51 PM

Apr 2010
JakeeDylan said:
Nakama's sales aren't that great D: Just ordered that single last week, Good Coming made a nice debut. Looks like anime sales this week aren't that great, huh.

They'll be big next week with Fate/Zero out. I'm expecting 40-50k for that one.

Mar 6, 2012 4:17 PM

Sep 2009
> Manglobe will probably be happy with the results of Japan + US orders.

You mean ufotable? Cause I don't see how Manglobe could be related to Fate/Zero or "big sales"

BTW. Does anyone knows Zero no Tsukaima F sales? Vol. 1 already came but doesn't ranked so I just curious about number...
Mar 6, 2012 5:29 PM

Feb 2012
Glad to see S-Cry-Ed on there.
Mar 6, 2012 7:34 PM

Nov 2008
Hopefully Papakiki ranks ok next week.

Mar 6, 2012 7:57 PM

Jul 2010
Hoppy said:
Hopefully Papakiki ranks ok next week.

it should hit around 2000-2300 sales (BD+DVD)
can't say it's a good sales but you can say "decent"

VioLink said:
Just wait until you see how much Highschool DxD and Nisemonogatari sell.

Nise sells like a hotcakes (probably show with the best sales this year pawning fate zero and P4)

DXD will probably pass through 5k barrier I think, but still below ano natsu
Mar 6, 2012 8:21 PM

Sep 2011
dczzz said:
Ro-Kyu-bu?? Really?? I know people like loli's but WOW.

Lol if Ro-Kyu-bu surprised you, then scroll down a bit and take a look at sekai ichi.
i'm mentally and morally shocked.
Mar 6, 2012 8:31 PM

Mar 2010
>Ro-Kyu-Bu on the list

>chihayafuru not on the list

oh japan
Mar 6, 2012 8:38 PM

Jun 2011
Ro-Kyu-Bu is first? Oh dear.
Mar 6, 2012 8:38 PM

Nov 2008
Parkur said:
>Ro-Kyu-Bu on the list

oh japan

Loli anime sells however Josei anime doesn't sell because most of the buying fanbase are male, josei maga does sell same with LNs.

Mar 7, 2012 3:42 AM

Sep 2009
BZW how are pre-orders for AnoNatsu? It was quite large(not so large as NMG of cause but better than most of the Winter shows).
Mar 7, 2012 5:52 AM

Jul 2010
Nachtwandler_21 said:
BZW how are pre-orders for AnoNatsu? It was quite large(not so large as NMG of cause but better than most of the Winter shows).

7000 and keep increasing

I'm betting at 8000-8500 (BD+DVD) when it's released 2 weeks from now

Shame, I actually want it to be fail so JC Staff will reconsider to start new as a studio
Mar 7, 2012 7:57 AM

Sep 2009
Stop to blame J.C. Staff. They are not the worst studdio there. Yes, they air a lot of medicore shows but still. At least they are true to their hits. I really like Shana III and some other shows are not bad either
Mar 7, 2012 8:40 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
Parkur said:
>Ro-Kyu-Bu on the list
oh japan

Chihayafuru sells like 300k a volume manga, I really don't think BD sales are that big a deal for it. You have to take audience into consideration. Not every franchise is intended to make its money the same way.

Roukyuubu sells more DVDs than Naruto Shippuden. But really, which do you think is bigger? Different audiences, different markets. Sales data is useful, but just throwing two numbers against each other without any attention paid towards context just confuses things.

Lol true, people seem to forget that the largest audience is Seinen (Or probably shounen?) and the markets are not the same.

Hoppy said:

Loli anime sells however Josei anime doesn't sell because most of the buying fanbase are male, josei maga does sell same with LNs.

Loli and the "moe" stuff sells very high in japan. did you know that Eroge buisness makes more money than idol buisness? Yup.
Downgrade355Mar 7, 2012 8:44 AM
Mar 7, 2012 9:57 AM

Aug 2011
Is Ro-Kyu-Bu THAT popular?
Mar 7, 2012 10:08 AM

Nov 2008
DaisyDuck3008 said:

It seems almost everyone is surprised by this.

Mar 7, 2012 12:16 PM

Sep 2011
Hoppy said:
DaisyDuck3008 said:

Well in all honesty, i was surprised my self. not by Ro-kyu-bu only, but half of the listed series.
though in RKB's case, when you think about it, it does make sense, i mean let's face it, an anime with Lolis+Harem elements = instant win and epic marketing, you know the otaku culture lol
P.S and why the hell is Shakugan no shana not first? it deserves the spot man, not to mention how successful it was and how big its fanbase is, probably bigger than most of those listed shows.
Downgrade355Mar 7, 2012 12:22 PM
Mar 7, 2012 1:31 PM

Jul 2010
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Hoppy said:
DaisyDuck3008 said:

Well in all honesty, i was surprised my self. not by Ro-kyu-bu only, but half of the listed series.
though in RKB's case, when you think about it, it does make sense, i mean let's face it, an anime with Lolis+Harem elements = instant win and epic marketing, you know the otaku culture lol
P.S and why the hell is Shakugan no shana not first? it deserves the spot man, not to mention how successful it was and how big its fanbase is, probably bigger than most of those listed shows.

oh come on, it just happen to be out in the right week right time

should it come last week (with Horizon, P4 and SG) or even worse next week (with F/Z sells comes out)
Ryo-Ku-Bu sales would look really really small

jmal said:
It's one of the best shows they've done. I have no desire to see them fail with a good show. And yes, I'm importing it.

I'm not saying the show is bad...
Just don't like their (JC Staff) policy lately
Mar 7, 2012 2:22 PM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Hoppy said:
DaisyDuck3008 said:

oh come on, it just happen to be out in the right week right time

should it come last week (with Horizon, P4 and SG) or even worse next week (with F/Z sells comes out)
Ryo-Ku-Bu sales would look really really small

jmal said:
It's one of the best shows they've done. I have no desire to see them fail with a good show. And yes, I'm importing it.

Well you do have a point there. i mean afterall these are the WEEKLY rankings. it's not like they'll be there forever lol. not to mention some animes there have a really small audience and some of them i havent even heard of for instance my neighbor totoro, etc, oh well, like i said, they are weekly afterall. so i'm all with you on the " it just happen to be out in the right week right time", it does make sense lol.
Mar 7, 2012 3:14 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Lol if Ro-Kyu-bu surprised you, then scroll down a bit and take a look at sekai ichi.
i'm mentally and morally shocked.

Eh? Why? The second season has only averaged 4,199 so far. Decent enough I guess, it's likely breaking even, but that's nothing super impressive and certainly not high sales. It's... just kinda middling.

Well if you consider how limited the audience is and the genre, of course anyone would be shocked. but well, it's weekly lol so it's not big deal after all.
Downgrade355Mar 7, 2012 3:28 PM
Mar 7, 2012 3:17 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

Not an instant sales win though. Shows like RKB can do well, but more often than not ecchi/harem/shounen lightnovel-type stuff sells "okay" or worse. The ones that do around RKB's level or higher just end up getting all the attention.

It may have had a big fanbase, but they all seem to have moved on somewhere in 2009-2010 based on the sales drop of Shana S. I'm importing it but I'm only one person... at least it didn't collapse as badly in sales as ZnT.

articuzwolf said:

Not sure what you mean by "their policy".

Could you please explain what did you mean by "but more often than not ecchi/harem/shounen lightnovel-type stuff sells "okay" or worse. The ones that do around RKB's level or higher just end up getting all the attention"? Sorry i didn't get that part.

And yup, i agree with you on Shana ;p
Mar 7, 2012 3:59 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Could you please explain what did you mean by "but more often than not ecchi/harem/shounen lightnovel-type stuff sells "okay" or worse. The ones that do around RKB's level or higher just end up getting all the attention"? Sorry i didn't get that part.

All I'm getting at is that fanservice (or ecchi or harem or loli or whatever term we're focused on at the moment) does not guarantee good sales by itself. It's something people say a lot ("of course it's selling, it has fanservice" and such things) but there are many shows that rely on fanservice, and many of them sell a lot less than RKB has.

Obviously this discussion depends a lot on how you define fanservice, or how much of it constitutes "a fanservice show" and stuff. It's a broad topic, and fanservice is usually just one element of a show, not the whole show.

Well yes, if an anime's sole focus is fanservice/ecchi then obviously there is no guarantee that it'll sell well, but other animes that have background fanservice (Strike witches, K-on, etc) sell pretty well, i mean c'mon, if it's all about the H then there's dozens of Eroge/VN's to satisfy your needs lol
anyways, i agree with you.

jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Well if you consider how limited the audience is and the genre, of course anyone would be shocked.

? Fujoshi stuff routinely sells better than Sekai-ichi is selling. There's not a lot of such shows, but what ones do come out get supported pretty well for the most part.

Oh, that's true, but it doesn't change the fact that the audience is still small.
There isn't as much fujoshi material, but when something shows up, the fujoshis invade the markets lol.
though it depends on what you mean by "Fujoshi stuff", as you know, some people use the term Fujoshi to describe female otakus in general (which many consider offensive), but if by fujoshi stuff you mean Shoujo/Josei with good looking males then i guess you might be right, UtaPri is just a typical shoujo reverse harem and half of the viewers are fujoshi, heck, Hitman reborn is a regular shounen but it attracted fujoshis and female otakus due to the large male cast and i bet half the sales were by fujoshis. so yeah.
Downgrade355Mar 7, 2012 4:38 PM
Mar 7, 2012 9:16 PM

Jul 2010
jmal said:

bad colouring (for 2012), significantly drop at animation quality after first episode, etc2

but well, let's don't there, shall we?
in the end it'll be a matter of taste, some of my friends said they still like it

bakayarokonoyaro said:

Well you do have a point there. i mean afterall these are the WEEKLY rankings. it's not like they'll be there forever lol. not to mention some animes there have a really small audience and some of them i havent even heard of for instance my neighbor totoro, etc, oh well, like i said, they are weekly afterall. so i'm all with you on the " it just happen to be out in the right week right time", it does make sense lol.

you know what, Totoro is a really really bad example, cumulative of more than 1 million sales and it has been there since like forever, rkb is not even close to it
articuzwolfMar 7, 2012 9:20 PM
Mar 7, 2012 10:36 PM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:
jmal said:

bad colouring (for 2012), significantly drop at animation quality after first episode, etc2

but well, let's don't there, shall we?
in the end it'll be a matter of taste, some of my friends said they still like it

bakayarokonoyaro said:

you know what, Totoro is a really really bad example, cumulative of more than 1 million sales and it has been there since like forever, rkb is not even close to it

Why only RKB? there are more worthless titles on the list. and anyone can guess lol
Mar 7, 2012 11:55 PM

Jan 2010
17, *,507 *,*40,597 Usavich IV ♥
Mar 8, 2012 2:43 AM

Jul 2010
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Why only RKB? there are more worthless titles on the list. and anyone can guess lol

you know, now I'm having a really hard time to follow you
so what are you trying to say is why am I discrimating RKB?
well we, mmm no they are talking about why RKB in the 1st position right mate?
so I just pointed out that IF AND ONLY IF RKB came out for sales last week or next week
I wouldn't be in the 1st place considering it's only have 4k sales.

Did I say or imply that RKB is bad and doesn't deserve on the first place?
No, I didn't even interested or watch the show so I don't have a slightest idea if the show is good or not, and not my style to judge the show just by the sales alone without even watching it.
(I consider 4k sales as a decent little bit above average sales for a show though, you can't call it a success without considering the production cost, but a lot of shows do less better in term of sales)

and about worthless titles you are mentioning about, I don't know what shows are you talking or implying about and I don't want to play a judge...but I'm just guessing it's a show that do better than RKB even though you like RKB more...
sorry mate, I'm not gonna criticize the show just out of jealousy
articuzwolfMar 8, 2012 2:56 AM
Mar 8, 2012 6:16 AM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

you know, now I'm having a really hard time to follow you
so what are you trying to say is why am I discrimating RKB?
well we, mmm no they are talking about why RKB in the 1st position right mate?
so I just pointed out that IF AND ONLY IF RKB came out for sales last week or next week
I wouldn't be in the 1st place considering it's only have 4k sales.

Did I say or imply that RKB is bad and doesn't deserve on the first place?
No, I didn't even interested or watch the show so I don't have a slightest idea if the show is good or not, and not my style to judge the show just by the sales alone without even watching it.
(I consider 4k sales as a decent little bit above average sales for a show though, you can't call it a success without considering the production cost, but a lot of shows do less better in term of sales)

and about worthless titles you are mentioning about, I don't know what shows are you talking or implying about and I don't want to play a judge...but I'm just guessing it's a show that do better than RKB even though you like RKB more...
sorry mate, I'm not gonna criticize the show just out of jealousy

My point is, in this week's list, there are loads of shows that don't deserve the spot, RKB was decent and i wouldn't be surprised if it got first the next week aswell, the genre itself is quite popular.
Mar 8, 2012 6:33 AM

Jul 2010
bakayarokonoyaro said:

My point is, in this week's list, there are loads of shows that don't deserve the spot, RKB was decent and i wouldn't be surprised if it got first the next week aswell, the genre itself is quite popular.

you mean you think they don't deserve to be there because you think RKB is better

and about RKB being decent, I already mentioned in my previous post that in term of sales only I completely agree with you

and about being first next week as well, uuuh I wouldn't bet on it if I were you
Mar 8, 2012 8:22 AM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

you mean you think they don't deserve to be there because you think RKB is better

and about RKB being decent, I already mentioned in my previous post that in term of sales only I completely agree with you

and about being first next week as well, uuuh I wouldn't bet on it if I were you

Are you trying to start an arguement, sir?
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't, and for the record, i never said RKB is better, try reading next time.
the sales, the anime, the plot, the lolis, it's all decent wheter you like it or not, it's there. number 1.
once again, try reading, what i'm getting at is in this list, some animes don't deserve the spot, heck even RKB doesn't deserve to be first. basically, most of the animes on this week's rankings are unexpected, most people would be surprised.
and if you think about it, considering the genre of RKB, it can EASILY get more sales, but there's too much animes of the same genre, and otakus won't stick just to that one.
Mar 8, 2012 8:45 AM

Apr 2010
bakayarokonoyaro said:

Next week is Fate/Zero week. It'll destroy RKB.

Mar 8, 2012 9:15 AM

Jul 2010
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't, and for the record, i never said RKB is better, try reading next time.
the sales, the anime, the plot, the lolis, it's all decent wheter you like it or not, it's there. number 1.

finally showing your true colour huh...should I repeat it again?
not even watch it, how come I could arrive at the point I don't like the show?
all I did say was RKB has a decent sales with 4k on it's first week, topping 'this week' ranking and running some simulation what will happen if it's out last or next week
did I try to start an argument? well it's up to you to decide, isn't it?

bakayarokonoyaro said:

once again, try reading, what i'm getting at is in this list, some animes don't deserve the spot, heck even RKB doesn't deserve to be first.

LOLed at this, should I quote someone's post which I found very hilarious considering it's only separated with several lines

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't

should I introduce you to him?

bakayarokonoyaro said:
basically, most of the animes on this week's rankings are unexpected, most people would be surprised.

no it's expected, there was no strong title came out this week (most of the strong titles came out last week) and you need to wait till next week to see a monstrous sales from title that you should have known by now. (even jmal and ryan mentioned it on their post)
and looking at the past sales of RKB, yeah it's expected
It just most people doesn't really follow amazon stalker or remembering the sales if you know what I mean.

bakayarokonoyaro said:
and if you think about it, considering the genre of RKB, it can EASILY get more sales, but there's too much animes of the same genre, and otakus won't stick just to that one.

top sales in japan are (correct me if im wrong) Bakemono, Madoka, Gundam Seed and then little down below into 30-40k sales are another shows like Gundam 00, Infinite Stratos, T&B, anohana

please help me to "easily think" because I hardly found any similarities of above titles genre with RKB >.>

but I do believe that RKB is in the same league with Manyuu Hikenchou, Maken Ki, Majikoi, and (probably) Highschool DxD in term of sales though
articuzwolfMar 8, 2012 9:51 AM
Mar 8, 2012 10:26 AM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

finally showing your true colour huh...should I repeat it again?
not even watch it, how come I could arrive at the point I don't like the show?
all I did say was RKB has a decent sales with 4k on it's first week, topping 'this week' ranking and running some simulation what will happen if it's out last or next week
did I try to start an argument? well it's up to you to decide, isn't it?

bakayarokonoyaro said:

once again, try reading, what i'm getting at is in this list, some animes don't deserve the spot, heck even RKB doesn't deserve to be first.

LOLed at this, should I quote someone's post which I found very hilarious considering it's only separated with several lines
????

should I introduce you to him?
?????
bakayarokonoyaro said:
basically, most of the animes on this week's rankings are unexpected, most people would be surprised.

no it's expected, there was no strong title came out this week (most of the strong titles came out last week) and you need to wait till next week to see a monstrous sales from title that you should have known by now. (even jmal and ryan mentioned it on their post)
and looking at the past sales of RKB, yeah it's expected
It just most people doesn't really follow amazon stalker or remembering the sales if you know what I mean.
bakayarokonoyaro said:

top sales in japan are (correct me if im wrong) Bakemono, Madoka, Gundam Seed and then little down below into 30-40k sales are another shows like Gundam 00, Infinite Stratos, T&B, anohana
please help me to "easily think" because I hardly found any similarities of above titles genre with RKB >.>
but I do believe that RKB is in the same league with Manyuu Hikenchou, Maken Ki, Majikoi, and (probably) Highschool DxD in term of sales though

Showing my true color? no sir, it just seemed to me that you're trying to get at something.
Well if you didn't watch then don't JUDGE. it looked to me like you didn't accept the fact that it got first. i dunno, maybe i just didn't understand you.

Last week's sale had strong titles?
Lol how? they were pretty much the same. and who's this jmal and ryan dude? some kind of otaku god? <_< Lolwth.

Yup, Bakemono, Madoka, Infinite stratos, gundam and ano hana do have high sales, not sure about T&B, but you forgot to mention Oreno imouto, Boku wa tomodachi and K-on.
Madoka/Oreno imou, boku wa tomodachi, And Bakemono do share alot in common with RKB (harem elements with some moe), and those usually sell high.

Btw did you mention something about majikoi? dude majikoi was totall crap, that adaption was LAME. they friggin disgraced the eroge, did you know that Majikoi topped the Getchu Annual Sales ranking for the top ten best selling eroge of 2009, placing 1st overall? the anime adaption was crap yet it still sold. i don't get it man, that's why i said before that some animes on the list are not expected.
Downgrade355Mar 8, 2012 10:40 AM
Mar 8, 2012 11:07 AM

Jul 2010
bakayarokonoyaro said:

Yup, Bakemono, Madoka, Infinite stratos, gundam and ano hana do have high sales, not sure about T&B, but you forgot to mention Oreno imouto, Boku wa tomodachi and K-on.
Madoka/Oreno imou, boku wa tomodachi, And Bakemono do share alot in common with RKB (harem elements with some moe), and those usually sell high.

so just because the premise of "harem" like bake and is you decided that RKB should sell more? (not gonna say anything bout haganai coz last time I checked it was in the 7-10k range)
and here I am wondering why Sacred Seven didn't sell well although Gundam Seed/00 sells very well even though they have the same premise "mecha"
ain't that simple mate

and Madoka = harem? you do know that we are on the site called myanimelist rite mate? so it wouldn't too hard to find genre for some series
and T&B was selling like a hot cakes though, even beat anohana in the process

(EDIT: oops, I guess anohana still have an upper hand though thanks to jmal)

bakayarokonoyaro said:
Btw did you mention something about majikoi? dude majikoi was totall crap, that adaption was LAME. they friggin disgraced the eroge, did you know that Majikoi topped the Getchu Annual Sales ranking for the top ten best selling eroge of 2009, placing 1st overall? the anime adaption was crap yet it still sold. i don't get it man, that's why i said before that some animes on the list are not expected.

Neither watch majikoi nor play it's game and uh nor that I care as well about some eroge sales.
but my friend for the 2nd time would like to say something about a show being lame, crap, disgrace and not to be expected on the list

bakayarokonoyaro said:

= = = = = = = = =

and like you whinning about why majikoi still sold, I was trying to explain to some ppl that surprised on the first few pages why RKB still sold as well
(no strong titles released, blablabla you can read my prev post)
did it make the RKB is a lame, crap show like you described majikoi? which I believe have quite similar sales (3-4k sales) as RKB as well.
coincidence?
articuzwolfMar 8, 2012 11:16 AM
Mar 8, 2012 11:13 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

To simplify things, here's the list: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1972211&postcount=14

Probably the first show on that list that qualifies as particularly heavy in ecchi/harem/fanservice material is Infinite Stratos at #15. Arguably Bakemonogatari too (and certainly Nisemonogatari when that comes out). But they still don't enter the realm of smash hits all that often.

Madoka is not similar at all to the rest. The others are... well, they appeal directly to otaku tastes, yes, but each in different ways. Haganai is also a few notches below the others in sales (it will end up 9-10k average, the others are much much much higher).

majikoi stuff

Majikoi is averaging 3,580 a disc right now. Nothing particularly good

Remember, just being on the rankings doesn't necessarily mean anything. Nearly every show makes it on the rankings at least once. Only a couple of the absolute lowest selling shows (usually kids' shows nobody expected to sell on BD) never make the rankings at all.

I love you sir, i really do. i'm keeping that list *bookmarks*
Btw why is there Initial D and love hina?
Well infinite stratos isn't really THAT heavy, it's fifty fifty lol

Yeah Madoka is unique, it's a gift from heaven to the otaku culture.

Yeah but majikoi the adaption SUCKED, those who played the eroge would be highly disappointed. including me.

Yes sir, that makes sense.
thanks bro, i guess i know why articuz wolf trusts you so much lol
Mar 8, 2012 11:18 AM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

so just because the premise of "harem" like bake and is you decided that RKB should sell more? (not gonna say anything bout haganai coz last time I checked it was in the 7-10k range)
and here I am wondering why Sacred Seven didn't sell well although Gundam Seed/00 sells very well even though they have the same premise "mecha"
ain't that simple mate

and Madoka = harem? you do know that we are on the site called myanimelist rite mate? so it wouldn't too hard to find genre for some series
and T&B was selling like a hot cakes though, even beat anohana in the process

bakayarokonoyaro said:

Neither watch majikoi nor play it's game and uh nor that I care as well about some eroge sales.
but my friend for the 2nd time would like to say something about a show being lame, crap, disgrace and not to be expected on the list

bakayarokonoyaro said:

= = = = = = = = =

and like you whinning about why majikoi still sold, I was trying to explain to some ppl that surprised on the first few pages why RKB still sold as well
(no strong titles released, blablabla you can read my prev post)
did it make the RKB is a lame, crap show like you described majikoi? which I believe have quite similar sales (3-4k sales) as RKB as well.
coincidence?

That's a good point.
Nope, Madoka ain't harem, it's a mahou shoujo/loli moe anime, and that enough makes most otakus have daydreams lol
like i said, stuff like Madoka and Bake usually does pretty good.
T&B? lol that's weird. oh well.

Uhh yeah, jmal explained it to me. looks like some animes make it to the rankings despite the fact that they're crap.
Mar 8, 2012 12:12 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
Nope, Madoka ain't harem, it's a mahou shoujo/loli moe anime, and that enough makes most otakus have daydreams lol

Categorizing Madoka as "loli moe" greatly oversimplifies its appeal. It has cute girls who are somewhat young in it, yes, but Madoka became such a huge phenomenon (in sales, awards, critical acclaim, and impact on fandom's collective consciousness) for far more than that.

Lets be honest though... it was the cute girls which is the reason the otaku gave it a chance to begin with. There are many other universally praised anime that sell like shit since they don't have anything to draw the otaku to. Plus Shaft did a major campaign in all the otaku magazines to promote it.

Mar 8, 2012 1:32 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:

Categorizing Madoka as "loli moe" greatly oversimplifies its appeal. It has cute girls who are somewhat young in it, yes, but Madoka became such a huge phenomenon (in sales, awards, critical acclaim, and impact on fandom's collective consciousness) for far more than that.

bakayarokonoyaro said:
Btw why is there Initial D and love hina?

I don't know a lot about Initial D other than that it was pretty damn popular back in the day, running for four seasons and a number of movies, and you still sometimes saw it parodied in pther shows even years later.

As for Love Hina, my understanding is that it was probably viewed as a a lot less "cliche" (not that cliche is inherently bad) back then than it would if it were to be aired now. A lot of shows have copied elements of Love Hina over the years. It's not the first harem anime by any stretch but it's definitely one of the major ones of the last two decades.

It also was an very popular manga, which doesn't guarantee good sales, but certainly can help, if the adaptation manages to please the fanbase.

But the main reason the majority of otakus watched it was for the moe, no one can deny that. not to mention the doujins lol
so i don't think otakus would watch it for the "girls transform and fight evil with pewpew magic" part, that's usually for kids man, i watched Madoka, for the lolis and moe.

Looks like i'll be watching love hina soon.
Downgrade355Mar 8, 2012 1:35 PM
Mar 8, 2012 3:53 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
But the main reason the majority of otakus watched it was for the moe, no one can deny that. not to mention the doujins lol

"The moe" is a pretty vague concept.

so i don't think otakus would watch it for the "girls transform and fight evil with pewpew magic" part, that's usually for kids man

Mahou shoujo shows for kids aren't written by Urobuchi Gen, animated by Shaft, and aired in a late night TV spot.

Everyone knew from the second Gen's name was leaked (way before airing) that this wasn't intended to be another Jewel Pets or LilPri, or even PreCure (which has pretty strong otaku support, just not of the disc-buying variety). So I don't think assuming fans, especially in Japan, approached Madoka as if it were a mahou shoujo anime for young girls really holds up.

Nobody knew quite how big a phenomenon it would become, certainly, but it was clear it was mahou shoujo for otaku. Just like how Nanoha (first season also animated by Shinbou Akiyuki in fact) ended up, for example, so there was precedent.

Dude, what else is there beside the moe? story? character development? in a 12 episode anime? Oh c'mon, if it isn't moe nor mahou shoujo for little girls nor a magical action pewpew, then what is it?
let's be real, the majority of otaku's watched it for the lolis and the little fanservice tones. i know i did, and so did many of my friends and the otaku's i know.
but it did have a good story and character development.
Mar 8, 2012 5:06 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
bakayarokonoyaro said:
story? character development?

Yes. And the great music, unique visuals, stellar seiyuu performances, dramatic tension, and brilliant subversion of of genre conventions.

Look, I'm not going to pretend that fans aren't motivated by a cute character design (I know I sure am) or that everyone would articulate their positive opinion of Madoka in terms of artistic merit or visual uniqueness or subversion of expectations or whatever. It's not really important that people are conscious of those things when watching a show.

But in my opinion it did do those things. So combine cute characters with a heavily marketed creative dream team (which matters, even if western fans weren't as aware), and then have the show itself turn out to be something incredibly engaging and unique and masterfully executed, and that gets you a heck of a lot farther towards explaining 71k average sales than vague concepts like "the moe" can.

So in short, cute girls do not a 71k average seller make. There's way, way more to it than that, otherwise every show with cute girls would sell that much.

That's a solid point you have here. what i was trying to say is that the "moe" is a big boost man, of course moe alone can't get THAT much sales, heck even a crappy animated series and a less common genre can get that much sales if the plot and character developement is good.
voicaloid isn't even an anime, and it's popular as heck in japan.
touhou is just a side scrolling shooter and it dominates the comiket every year lol.
it's all about what a series has to offer, but its genre and content does play a major role.
Mar 8, 2012 7:11 PM

Jul 2010
I don't think the character in Madoka is cute and

IIRC, the sales and hype (of Madoka) started to explode snd skyrocket after episode 3 which little bit too extreme to be called "moe" unless you are a sick little psychopath
Mar 8, 2012 10:02 PM

Sep 2011
articuzwolf said:

IIRC, the sales and hype (of Madoka) started to explode snd skyrocket after episode 3 which little bit too extreme to be called "moe" unless you are a sick little psychopath

You're still here?
say what? the character in madoka is not cute?
Bro, something must be wrong with you.
Also stop calling other people sick little psychopaths when you're the one who's obssesed with arguing online about minor things, lighten up bro.
Downgrade355Mar 8, 2012 10:06 PM
Mar 8, 2012 11:02 PM

Sep 2008
articuzwolf said:

you friggin' little ignorant.

u need to be completely blind if can't see the chara design is moe n designated for otaku.

And if anything that's the appeal of Madoka, make those "moe" element mixed in gruesome urobuchi story's.
Mar 8, 2012 11:35 PM

Jul 2010
fertygo said:
you friggin' little ignorant.

u need to be completely blind if can't see the chara design is moe n designated for otaku.

And if anything that's the appeal of Madoka, make those "moe" element mixed in gruesome urobuchi story's.

I think I clearly stated that I dont think that the design is moe (at least for me) or should I re-state as I like design character for another series much better than madoka?
if other people said that is moe, fine with me.

bakayarokonoyaro said:

You're still here?
say what? the character in madoka is not cute?
Bro, something must be wrong with you.
Also stop calling other people sick little psychopaths when you're the one who's obssesed with arguing online about minor things, lighten up bro.

and for stupidyaro my point about psychopath is, you actually watched the 3rd episode of Madoka right? not just for petty revenge of our discussion yesterday, coz IIRC I'm only stating what is in my mind, (about finding RKB had a decent sales, and won't rank one if it was out last or next week, about didn't find that Chara design for Madoka Magica is moe or cute enough for me) and same as yesterday you suddenly jump in with what I described as angry with other people opinion post

Is madoka cute? well not for me, but maybe for others and
when a little girl got it's head bitten which I believe is the trigger of Madoka Magica Phenomenon, and would you call/describe the biting process as moe? coz there I was describing the biting process not the character design and like fertygo mentioned the design characters is (for some people not for me) but that biting process is not
EXCEPT you are sick little psychopath finding yourself aroused looking helpless girl got her head chopped off like I mentioned in my previous post
articuzwolfMar 8, 2012 11:52 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

11 by deg »»
42 seconds ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
32 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
4 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Today

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
6 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.