MyAnimeList.net

Forums

action romance where the MC is weak and progressively gets stronger
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Mar 5, 2012 6:02 PM

i really like these underdog like stories where the main character is a huge weakling at first but mans up as he goes on.
Modified by NotJizzyHitler, Mar 6, 2012 12:38 PM
JizzyHitler said:
Only pretentious fucks quote themselves
tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 5, 2012 6:05 PM

Angel Beats comes to mind. Although I would categorize it as a love it or not interested anime. Only appealing to some people.

Mar 5, 2012 6:13 PM

stayfrosty224 said:
Angel Beats comes to mind. Although I would categorize it as a love it or not interested anime. Only appealing to some people.

I don't really remember Angel Beats having any of those things the TS wants... but okay.

Mar 5, 2012 6:32 PM

It has the action and the MC was pretty weak at the beginning. I mean the romance isn't very strong in the beginning. I guess maybe the comedic parts of it kind of overtake the romance parts sometimes.

Mar 5, 2012 6:33 PM

Well I know of several action animes where the MC starts out really weak and gets strong....but Action Romance is a bit harder XD

One I can think of is Fate/ Stay Night.
Not entirely romance, mostly action but with some 'romantic elements' you could say.

Mar 5, 2012 6:39 PM

SerenityB3128 said:
Well I know of several action animes where the MC starts out really weak and gets strong....but Action Romance is a bit harder XD

Not entirely romance, mostly action but with some 'romantic elements' you could say.

I had the same problem. xD I was also going to say Fate/Stay Night but then I had this thought, did he actually get "progressively" stronger throughout the Anime? xD

TS don't read this.

Other than that, I think that's a pretty good recommendation.

Mar 5, 2012 6:58 PM

ive already gotten what happens at the end spoiled for me so that ones out
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 5, 2012 8:20 PM

Rosario + Vampire, but not the anime, the manga would be much better for what you're looking for unless the harem aspect turns you off.

Maybe To Aru Majutsu no Index, but it isn't very romance-heavy
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.

Mar 5, 2012 10:40 PM

gets stronger*

Mar 5, 2012 10:45 PM

itsthatguy said:
Rosario + Vampire, but not the anime, the manga would be much better for what you're looking for unless the harem aspect turns you off.

Seconded

Mar 5, 2012 11:22 PM

Maybe, Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom. The MC definitely gets stronger, not necessarily for the better though. A lot of action, and a fair bit of romance towards the end.

Mar 5, 2012 11:23 PM

shakugan no shana (in a way)
Zero no tsukaima (again in a way)

seen a lot of romance but not realy much action romance :s (and even less what you are looking for)
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Mar 6, 2012 12:37 PM

Hexis said:
gets stronger*
i hate my inability to type
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 6, 2012 7:23 PM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Hexis said:
gets stronger*
i hate my inability to type

lol i just had to say it.

Mar 6, 2012 7:27 PM

Buso Renkin comes in mind

Mar 6, 2012 8:07 PM

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is perfect except the romance is only barely hinted at in the anime and even in the manga it progresses extremely slowly. They still aren't in any sort of relatioship, but you know both their emotions towards each other at least.

Mar 7, 2012 12:59 PM

Ohayoo said:
Buso Renkin comes in mind
jroberter said:
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is perfect except the romance is only barely hinted at in the anime and even in the manga it progresses extremely slowly. They still aren't in any sort of relatioship, but you know both their emotions towards each other at least.
saw both of these, relaly enjoyed both but kenichi's romance was so weak, buso renkins i liked
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 7, 2012 1:40 PM

maybe try:

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

although i guess the main character is strong to begin with...? maybe but it has an awesome story and is well worth the watch

Mar 7, 2012 3:31 PM

jplaya828 said:
maybe try:

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

although i guess the main character is strong to begin with...? maybe but it has an awesome story and is well worth the watch
wait that has romance?
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 7, 2012 4:04 PM

it does lol although its a lil small it does have romance

Mar 7, 2012 4:12 PM

SerenityB3128 said:

The fate stay night anime no. In the fate stay night VN yes, the main character does get stronger.

Mar 7, 2012 4:52 PM

Though it's not a high conflict anime, I'd acctually reccomend Hajime no Ippo - the lead is a nice guy who gets wrapped up in a profession he happens to be good at, though he's starting from the very bottom (knowing nothing and having an unconventional attitude).

Mar 7, 2012 5:33 PM

Although not an exact match, some of these are along the lines of what you seek:

.Anime Title .x - .Year - .Eps - .My Rating
After War Gundam X - 1996 - 39 - 8 (Actually, many Gundams involve romance with "getting stronger & growing up")
Aquarion Evol - 2012 - airing -
Arc the Lad - 1999 - 26 - 8
Blue Gender * - 1999 - 26 - 8
Chrome Shelled Regios - 2009 - 24 - 7
Dance in the Vampire Bund - 2010 - 12 - 6
Elemental Gelade - 2005 - 26 - 7
Escaflowne - 1996 - 26 - 8
Eureka Seven - 2005 - 50 - 8
Fractale - 2011 - 11 - 7
Macross * - 1989 - 36 - 8
Macross Frontier - 2008 - 25 - 8
Mars Daybreak - 2004 - 26 - 8
Otome Youkai Zakuro - 2010 - 13 - 7
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - 2009 - 26 - 8
RahXephon - 2002 - 26 - 10
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles - 2009 - 26 - 8
Sousei no Aquarion * - 2005 - 26 - 5
Tsubasa Chronicle * (+ movies/ovas) - 2005 - 26 - 8
Vandread * - 2000 - 13 - 6
Guilty Crown - 2011 - 22 - 8
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

Mar 7, 2012 5:39 PM

lisnoire said:

After War Gundam X - 1996 - 39 - 8 (Actually, many
is this a ok place to start with gundam? ive always been interested in this one more than the others, do i need to know any previous stories?
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 7, 2012 5:47 PM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
lisnoire said:

is this a ok place to start with gundam? ive always been interested in this one more than the others, do i need to know any previous stories?
--You sure could. Although it can be helpful to watch some things in order, most Gundam stories can stand on their own. This one would stand on its own and the romance is a major part of the story. Another one you might like is Turn A Gundam.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character

Mar 7, 2012 6:42 PM

If you haven't seen it (I tried to look through your list, but it's difficult), then go with Kenichi: Earth's Mightiest Disciple. Absolutely 100% match to what you want.

Mar 7, 2012 6:47 PM

Amberleh said:
If you haven't seen it (I tried to look through your list, but it's difficult), then go with Kenichi: Earth's Mightiest Disciple. Absolutely 100% match to what you want.
i watched and said here too that ive seen it

i loved the show but the romance was so half assed in the show, pretty much the only thing i didnt like about it
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 7, 2012 7:07 PM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Amberleh said:
i watched and said here too that ive seen it

i loved the show but the romance was so half assed in the show, pretty much the only thing i didnt like about it

Understandable.

Try Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann. GREAT romance, because it incorperates josei and shoujo elements. I was actually REALLY impressed with the romance in it. And of course, it is all about the main character becoming stronger. Not sure why I didn't suggest that first. It's also a WAY better series than Kenichi, and it's a reconstruction (actually kind of a counter to Evangelion, made by the same people) so of course it's happy and inspiring.

Really, really fantastic.

"Then don't believe in yourself. Believe in the me that believes in you!"
"Believe not in the me that believes in you, believe in the you that believes in you."
Just some quotes, to verify the 'getting stronger' thing. =)

Actually, looking through, I'm REALLY shocked that NO ONE ELSE suggested this.
Modified by Amberleh, Mar 7, 2012 7:12 PM

Mar 7, 2012 9:29 PM

lisnoire said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
lisnoire said:

--You sure could. Although it can be helpful to watch some things in order, most Gundam stories can stand on their own. This one would stand on its own and the romance is a major part of the story. Another one you might like is Turn A Gundam.

turn A gundam.... no just no that ending made me want to break my monitor don't do that to yourself

on another note:

Air Gear although the anime series ended early you can check out the manga its farther

Major <== this anime is one of my favorites yay baseball anime

Outlaw Star <== watched this show when i was a kid so great xD

Mar 8, 2012 3:30 PM
Forum Moderator
Amberleh said:
First unspoken rule of recommendation:

Check their profile to see if they've already seen it.

Anyways, good action/romance is hard to come by, I can only name 2 which I would call among the best but many wouldn't agree (besides you don't like Fate stay night anyways).

The successor of genesis of aquarion - Aquarion Evol - is shaping to be a fine specimen in the action/romance field. However the series only caters a specific fanbase but it's kind of like Eureka 7 and TTGL. Only has aired 10 episodes though when this post is made.

One of the most obscure series I've watched but still yet to complete (mainly because I can't find a torrent that's fast) is Zegapain, which involves romance and mecha fights. I still yearn for the day where I can finish this, I might as well try to get the rest of it as I make my rec here. As a offnote, the OP is fantastic, gives me the chills now that I listened to it again.
Modified by Tachii, Mar 8, 2012 3:47 PM

Mar 8, 2012 3:52 PM

Well if your looking for a manga my fav would be The Breaker/The Breaker New Waves (2nd part) A kid gets bullied then he becomes stronger.

Mar 8, 2012 3:58 PM

Steins;Gate!!!

Mar 8, 2012 4:29 PM

jplaya828 said:
lisnoire said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
lisnoire said:

turn A gundam.... no just no that ending made me want to break my monitor don't do that to yourself

on another note: . . . .
-- Your opinion is noted. Not everyone feels the same. That wasn't a put down or a brush off. Just a statement.

Mar 9, 2012 3:30 AM

OriginANIME said:
SerenityB3128 said:

I had the same problem. xD I was also going to say Fate/Stay Night but then I had this thought, did he actually get "progressively" stronger throughout the Anime? xD

TS don't read this.

ohh man that fate stay/night is so boring dont watch it

Mar 9, 2012 3:33 AM

LikeAnime24 said:
OriginANIME said:
SerenityB3128 said:

TS don't read this.

seriously?
i'm gonna watch at least the first episode

Mar 9, 2012 7:06 AM

Toru_VMO said:
LikeAnime24 said:
OriginANIME said:
SerenityB3128 said:

TS don't read this.

seriously?
--That is one person's opinion. Many people love it. Watch at least four eps and make up your own mind. Frankly, I take issue with anyone telling anyone NOT to watch anything. Say you hate it, can't stand it, etc., and state clearly why why you didn't like it (he/she did. found it boring) but don't make decisions for someone else. There are a lot of titles I can't stand or wouldn't go near but I don't tell anyone NOT to watch them.

As to "did he get stronger?" There are different kinds of "stronger" - physical, mental, character, maturity, etc. If you watch the show, you can decide if he got stronger,
Modified by lisnoire, Mar 9, 2012 7:09 AM

Mar 9, 2012 7:10 AM

lisnoire said:
Toru_VMO said:
LikeAnime24 said:
OriginANIME said:
SerenityB3128 said:

TS don't read this.

seriously?
--That is one person's opinion. Many people love it. Watch at least four eps and make up your own mind. Frankly, I take issue with anyone telling anyone NOT to watch anything. Say you hate it, can't stand it, etc., and state clearly why why you didn't like it (he/she did. found it boring) but don't make decisions for someone else. There are a lot of titles I can't stand or wouldn't go near but I don't tell anyone NOT to watch them.

As to "did he get stronger?" There are different kinds of "stronger" - physical, mental, character, maturity, etc. If you watch the show, you can decide if he got stronger,

yeah
different people have different opinions
btw, i like to hear this opinions
help me to make my own opinion (sometimes this work ¬¬)

Mar 9, 2012 7:16 AM

Toru_VMO said:

yeah
different people have different opinions
btw, i like to hear this opinions
help me to make my own opinion (sometimes this work ¬¬)
--I have no problem with his/her opinion. I took issue with the admonition NOT to watch it. That is my point.

For what its worth I'm not a rabid fan of the show. It is good, not great. The follow up, which is actually a prequel, Fate Zero is superior but doesn't really involve "getting stronger."

Mar 9, 2012 11:08 AM

Hm...there's a little less romance, a lot more fanservice, and it's more mental strength than physical, but Sekirei is a decent one.
UUUUUNIVERSEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mar 9, 2012 1:10 PM

lisnoire said:

well i think into truly getting stronger physically you also need to get stronger mentally
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 9, 2012 2:32 PM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
lisnoire said:

well i think into truly getting stronger physically you also need to get stronger mentally
--Actually, you are quite right. You know, I like the old Street Fighter shows. They do deal with "getting stronger" but there really isn't anything in the way of romance.

Street Fighter II V * - 1995 - 29 - 8
Street Fighter II: The Movie - 1994 - 1 - 8
Street Fighter Alpha: The Animation - 1999 - 1 - 8
Street Fighter Alpha: Generations - 2005 - 1 - 8

Mar 9, 2012 2:40 PM

C'mon, you know you want Hajime no Ippo.

Mar 9, 2012 5:25 PM

Tiago97 said:
ill watch it in 20....billion years when they actually finish that story, i want to but i got a huge problem with stories that are ongoing without a conclusion in site, like im kinda a 1 show at a time kinda guy so i hate it if i dont have a proper conclusion. im sure its great and i really do want to read/watch it, but not till its at least got a end in sight
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 9, 2012 8:46 PM

Tachii said:
Amberleh said:
First unspoken rule of recommendation:

Check their profile to see if they've already seen it.

Anyways, good action/romance is hard to come by, I can only name 2 which I would call among the best but many wouldn't agree (besides you don't like Fate stay night anyways).

The successor of genesis of aquarion - Aquarion Evol - is shaping to be a fine specimen in the action/romance field. However the series only caters a specific fanbase but it's kind of like Eureka 7 and TTGL. Only has aired 10 episodes though when this post is made.

One of the most obscure series I've watched but still yet to complete (mainly because I can't find a torrent that's fast) is Zegapain, which involves romance and mecha fights. I still yearn for the day where I can finish this, I might as well try to get the rest of it as I make my rec here. As a offnote, the OP is fantastic, gives me the chills now that I listened to it again.

I looked and I did not see it. But I do know how the site works. The way his list is laid out makes it VERY easy to over-look things.

Mar 9, 2012 9:13 PM

Tachii said:
. . . . One of the most obscure series I've watched but still yet to complete (mainly because I can't find a torrent that's fast) is Zegapain, which involves romance and mecha fights. I still yearn for the day where I can finish this, I might as well try to get the rest of it as I make my rec here. As a offnote, the OP is fantastic, gives me the chills now that I listened to it again.
--You may have to just give up and watch it streaming. I just googled it and found several sites that have it. I may have watched it on DVD from Netflix. I really liked it.

Amberleh said:
I looked and I did not see it. But I do know how the site works. The way his list is laid out makes it VERY easy to over-look things.
--It is the standard lay out. The only thing that makes it different is that his comments space things out a bit. At least it doesn't have some way out artsyfartsy background and foofy font and wild fond color. I hate that especially when I have to highlight something in an effort to get enough contrast to read something.

Mar 9, 2012 11:57 PM

Another one you could try is Xam'd. It's a little odd though- The main character is weak at first, but he gets some weird thing put in him that turns him into a monster of sorts on occassion. The series has a lot of focus on how he overcomes the darkness within him and yadda yadda. Same creators as Eureka 7, which I see you enjoyed, so you should give it a shot. =) It's a good series.

Mar 10, 2012 4:22 AM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Tiago97 said:
ill watch it in 20....billion years when they actually finish that story, i want to but i got a huge problem with stories that are ongoing without a conclusion in site, like im kinda a 1 show at a time kinda guy so i hate it if i dont have a proper conclusion. im sure its great and i really do want to read/watch it, but not till its at least got a end in sight

Both the first and the second season end with awesome fights for championships. I grant you that you wont be disappointed.
After all, you loved Kenichi and it's unfinished too, right?

Mar 10, 2012 4:51 AM

ok don't see this season Highschook DxD on your list so recomending that :)

and yes it's ecchi (and LOTS of nakid bewbs...) but somehow it pulls it of without feeling tacky (like maken ki for example) so if you don't mind some major fanservice, here you go ;)
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Mar 10, 2012 8:04 AM

Tiago97 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Tiago97 said:

Both the first and the second season end with awesome fights for championships. I grant you that you wont be disappointed.
After all, you loved Kenichi and it's unfinished too, right?
kenichi is unfinished but thats only cause the manga continued after where it could end, the way the anime ends it kinda wraps up everything but leaves 1 loose plot end that could lead to more stuff
JizzyHitler said:
tokiyashiro said:

Mar 10, 2012 12:50 PM

yes.... watch Major..... you know you want to.... god that show is addicting o_o

Pages (2) [1] 2 »