MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Drama/Romance burnout, looking for something thrilling.
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Drama/Romance burnout, looking for something thrilling.

03-04-12, 9:21 PM

Recently, I've been watching far too many dramas/romances, some good, others not so much. I noticed near the end of my run, I was becoming desensitized from "feeling" probably due to a drama overload. After finishing my last drama anime, I felt worn out and just "bored" with the genre. So with that being said, I'm looking for something exciting that isn't primarily driven by romance, not to say romance can't be in it.

Basically, I'm looking for something to re-energize my love for anime. "Wow that was insane" moments like Death Note 4 and 6 where
and Code Geass ep 2 where
are just a few examples that literally put a smile on my face because I loved what I just saw and was genuinely excited to see what would happen next.

I've narrowed down and heard good things about:
Gundam 00 - action and story
LOGH - I've heard so many good things about it, and the fact that Death Note and Code Geass are loosely based of it are a plus.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Not a huge fan of Yandere, but I loved the shock of School Days.

I'd like to hear all other suggestions, thanks.
Modified by AzureBlues, 03-05-12, 2:46 PM
"The end of happiness, the beginning of truth."

03-04-12, 10:48 PM

I Definitely recommend Black Lagoon, especially the english dub

03-05-12, 2:14 AM

I second Black Lagoon but I also recommend the following:

*Looks through own list*

Darker than Black *STRONGLY RECOMMEND*
Deadman Wonderland
Fate/Stay Night + Fate/Zero
Hellsing
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni *STRONGLY RECOMMEND*
Katanagatari
Valkyria Chronicles
Utawarerumono

Hope these suggestions help.

03-05-12, 2:28 AM

Check out One Outs, Tokuchi is pretty much on Lights and Lelouch's level :)

03-05-12, 3:11 AM

Karas - Something literally like "Wow" superb animation so candy for the eyes "Wow". but not much of a story sadly.

Gurren Lagann - Over-the-top battles, like "Wow" did that shit just happen

03-05-12, 9:02 AM

There's lots of exciting and thought provoking stuff out there. Here are some titles you may not have considered. Do look at some of the profile pages, read several of the reviews, look at titles recommended as being similar, and google the title plus the word anime and look at images to get an even better feel for the show.

When you decide to watch something, look at the total number of eps and try to watch 25% before you make the decision to drop or continue.

An asterisk "*" just indicates additional seasons, movies, ovas, etc.
.Anime Title - .Year - .Eps - .My Rating

From your PTW list:
Modified by lisnoire, 03-05-12, 9:20 AM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

03-05-12, 10:02 AM

Second Deadman Wonderland
Also try:
Durarara!
Baccano!
Ga:rei Zero
Mirai Nikki

Hope you enjoy them (:

03-05-12, 12:40 PM

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

03-05-12, 12:43 PM

Samurai X

03-05-12, 12:52 PM

Riptos said:

Darker than Black *STRONGLY RECOMMEND*
anime was a passing phase to me....this show made it so it wouldnt pass
please shit talk my page, no seriously please do
tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me
He caught me

03-05-12, 1:40 PM

Thirding Black Lagoon, also seconding Baccano, Katanagatari, Hellsing (Ultimate, naturally) and TTGL.

With LoGH though, don't expect a bunch of breakneck cliffhangers, lolwut twists and melodrama. It's quite mature and ponderous about everything, and you'll see plenty of episodes with little to no action in between those huge battles and sudden splatter scenes.

Now, for more cool action or thriller stuff, I'd recommend;
Armored Trooper Votoms (has some of the best mecha action scenes I've ever seen)
Armor Hunter Mellowlink (Standalone spinoff in the Votoms universe, great as an introduction before you commit to the main series.)
Akira
Cowboy Bebop + the movie (The movie especially has some magnificent close combat scenes.)
Flag
Gankutsuou
Ghost in the Shell movies and series (alternate settings, so you can start with either first. I prefer the series myself)
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Macross
Memories (Magnetic Rose particularly)
Neon Genesis Evangelion + EoE
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Taiyou no Kiba Dagram (Plays much like a mediocre Gundam clone at some points, but eventually shines with a much more mature and intriguing political war drama)
Texhnolyze
The Sky Crawlers
The Wings of Honneamise
Uchuu Senkan Yamato

As for Gundam,
Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack are probably the most important Gundam series, all finishing the core of the UC story. Together with ∀ Gundam, those would be the ones I'd consider required watching.
Besides that, War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team are also pretty good, Igloo has some great parts, and if nothing else, Unicorn at least looks great in the battles and all.

And although they're more drama/romance, I'd also recommend these;
Nana
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Rose of Versailles

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices