Forum Settings
Forums

The Secret World of Arriety Sets New Boxoffice Record For Studio Ghibli's Films Shown in North America

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 3, 2012 8:42 PM

May 2011
I wasn't blown away by Karigurashi no Arrietty by any means, but it's really nice to see a Ghibli film do well in America. I haven't seen a Ghibli movie in theaters since Howl's Moving Castle though.

Also, before this aired in American theaters, I heard that if it didn't do well, that Studio Ghibli was thinking of shutting down. What was the validity behind that. Hopefully it won't matter anymore, because it seems Karigurashi no Arriety is doing quite well in theaters.
Mar 3, 2012 10:09 PM

Aug 2011
hOMESTUCK said:
Don't judge the entirety of Fox News by the rantings of one paranoid tard and his guests.
Mar 3, 2012 10:11 PM

Jun 2008
Well I can't say I haven't expected this, they were advertising this even in my daily newspaper.
Mar 3, 2012 10:13 PM

Jun 2009
It was a really good movie, I'm glad I went and saw it.
Not Found (aka 404)

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, or must not exist ...

... but you're always welcome to search for it.
Mar 3, 2012 10:24 PM

Jul 2010
DraconisMarch said:
hOMESTUCK said:
Don't judge the entirety of Fox News by the rantings of one paranoid tard and his guests.

You asked for proof and I provided it. Your defensiveness is premature and suggests latent embarrassment for your "news". I didn't even have to say anything for you to admit that it was a stupid piece of journalism (which it is). Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't force them to be goony.
Mar 3, 2012 10:43 PM

Aug 2011
hOMESTUCK said:
You asked for proof and I provided it. Your defensiveness is premature and suggests latent embarrassment for your "news". I didn't even have to say anything for you to admit that it was a stupid piece of journalism (which it is). Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't force them to be goony.
Everyone is attacking Fox News collectively for what one person said. I shouldn't need to explain how stupid that is.

A far more sensible thing to say is "Fox News anchor [insert name here] said _____." One anchor =/= the entire news station.
Mar 3, 2012 10:59 PM

Jul 2010
DraconisMarch said:
hOMESTUCK said:
Everyone is attacking Fox News collectively for what one person said. I shouldn't need to explain how stupid that is.

A far more sensible thing to say is "Fox News anchor [insert name here] said _____." One anchor =/= the entire news station.

That would be true if Fox News sadly weren't consistently more of the same. Whatever reputation they have, they have earned. For the most part they revel in it. I have watched Fox News on numerous occasions, and unfortunately their reports do in fact mainly consist of angry rhetoric and mudslinging over fact.

Granted, and unfortunately, such mudslinging is true of all aspects of the American media on both sides of the political spectrum these days. It's why I no longer watch political news shows of any kind. But Fox News is notorious for putting attack above education. It's just a fact. It's not even about the opinions they present, which are valid in this country of free speech, but how they present them. They're just angry people, and news should not be clouded by that much emotion if it is expected to be taken as fact.

As I said, I'm sure they enjoy the attention and they have their right to speak their minds how they want. But the average person cannot be expected to take it seriously. If I wished to dwell on this matter any longer, I could find numerous clips to support this post, as could anyone with a Youtube url in this day and age. But quite honestly, I don't have the stomach to talk about politics of any nature any longer, and I've derailed this thread quite enough.
Mar 3, 2012 11:04 PM

Feb 2012
It wasn't too good, I cleansed my taste pallets with Castle in the Sky afterwards.
Mar 3, 2012 11:16 PM

Jun 2009
i am gonna make sometime to go to the movies again cause the only movie I saw in theaters this year so far is Act of Valor. It takes a lot to make me go to the movies to see a movie.
Mar 4, 2012 12:11 AM

Aug 2009
BANZAI! ;DDD
Mar 4, 2012 6:56 AM

Jan 2011
Really cool. Hopefully this inspires a trend of bringing more Japanese Animation films to the U.S.
Mar 4, 2012 9:22 AM

Feb 2012
Kudos, Disney. I can't say this means much for Ghibli itself (because it really doesn't), but it's always good to see successful distribution.
Mar 4, 2012 9:37 AM

Apr 2011
I saw this the first day it came out, and I'm glad it did so well. ^^ 'Twas a good movie. Hopefully this creates enough influence to bring more anime to theaters over here.
Mar 4, 2012 10:53 AM

Mar 2010
Congrats to The Secret World of Arriety !

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 4, 2012 5:44 PM

Sep 2011
Plot sounds interesting. My anime backlog can't be this big.
Mar 5, 2012 11:15 AM

Mar 2011
Ghibli movies are my favourites so I must watch this! Glad they are doing well.
As it turns out, living was a punishment...
Mar 5, 2012 2:54 PM

Mar 2010
That's crazy!!
It wasn't even that good!xD
Just goes to show if it's Ghibli, it's worth watching~!

Mar 5, 2012 3:08 PM

Mar 2009
I'm kinda interested in it now.
Mar 5, 2012 3:49 PM

Jun 2010
Hopefully, they just get more popular.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
52 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.