Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2012 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
I mean this as a legit question, i cant tell if they are trying to make him the villain since hes done worse stuff than any of the actual villains have, hell he has caused most of the villains actions in the first place, but i have some feeling that keeps popping up whenever i read this that the intention was to make us sympathize with him for god knows whatever reason

I'm honestly pretty baffled over this, like i want to hate him as a villain.....well i do but i want to hate him as a official villain, but im not sure if im supposed to

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 30, 2012 8:40 AM

Feb 2012
Honestly, I despise Kaname. I tolerated him in the beginning, but after Yuki loses everything that made her a great character and follows him around like a lost puppy, I really just got fed up with the whole thing. He's one dimensional and manipulative and cruel. He should not even be a factor in this love triangle.

For people who continued on after volume 9-ish, is there any reason to continue reading. Because the depressing adventures of Kaname and his Yuki-drone are not what I signed up for.
May 2, 2012 10:30 AM

Feb 2010
StorySpinner said:

For people who continued on after volume 9-ish, is there any reason to continue reading. Because the depressing adventures of Kaname and his Yuki-drone are not what I signed up for.

There is a reason. I want to know how it'll end, who'll survive, will Yuuki become a better at handling things, will she start to think with her own head? And after all, what Zero will do? He's an awesome character, i want to see what kind of ending will writer bring to him. I hope it'll be something that fans will be satisfied with.

May 3, 2012 12:23 PM

Jul 2010
Obviously his fans won't I do since the beginning!
Due to the incest love to Yukki or Yuki whatever yous call her.
I started not liking him since the day he turned Yuki into a vampire.Especially when he said to Zero that he won't betray her, meaning he will somehow come on Zero.

But then Kaname is possed no???
May 12, 2012 8:12 PM

Nov 2009
StorySpinner said:
Honestly, I despise Kaname. I tolerated him in the beginning, but after Yuki loses everything that made her a great character and follows him around like a lost puppy, I really just got fed up with the whole thing. He's one dimensional and manipulative and cruel. He should not even be a factor in this love triangle.

This, this, this, this, this x 10

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

May 16, 2012 12:44 AM

Nov 2007
I've been liking Zero more than Kaname since the beginning, and even worse about Kaname when this thing begins.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 24, 2012 5:14 AM

Dec 2008
I don't believe it was the author's intention for us to like Kaname. This story is really about Yuuki and Zero. Kaname is just a road block that's interfering with them finding there way back to each other.
May 24, 2012 6:39 AM

Mar 2011
Amutofan123 said:
StorySpinner said:

This, this, this, this, this x 10

This.

I personally don't see the charm in Kaname. His character (at first) is too perfect to be true, and I don't like perfect characters. It gives little room for character development. In the second half, I don't see any change in Kaname. He's still the same as he was before. Except now he's more manipulative and, um, having more trouble with his communication skill
May 24, 2012 10:57 AM

Aug 2011
I don't see how one could like Kaname. Even if someone hasn't read all that deeply into the manga, and only watched several episodes of the anime, I don't see how they could pick up on some of his less-than-attractive personality traits, and still love him.

He gorgeous, and that's pretty much it.

ItamiMay 24, 2012 11:01 AM

May 24, 2012 2:11 PM

Mar 2010
I like Kaname because I prefer the kind and cute guy over the violent bad guy with past that is supposed to make me feel bad for him. Besides, Kaname has a mystery to him (his goals, dreams, thoughts etc.) and that's something I find very interesting about characters. Zero, on the other hand, has nothing besides his looks to be appealing to me. He's your typical bad guy with "ugly" past. But when you think about it, he's just a closed minded freak that keeps feeling sorry for himself and expects everyone to help him while he treats them like trash (especially Yuuki and Kaien).

This topic is very subjective since this is only about everyone's preference in characters. Zero is more popular, since his archetype is more popular with the targeted audience (aka teen girls) but in the end he is nothing but the said archetype. Kaname has darkness to him, mystery, he's cunning and a sort of mastermind, traits usually found in villains. Yet, he's not your typical villain since it's more than obvious that he has very deep feelings for Yuuki and has some hidden agenda. We see into Zero, we know everything about him even though he's more of a side character than Kaname (especially lately). However, we know so little about Kaname even though he had so much screen time. He's too complex to be summed up with one arc or one flashback. I understand that nearly no one shares my opinion, though. Zero is made to be liked imo.
May 24, 2012 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
Villetta_Nu said:
I don't believe it was the author's intention for us to like Kaname. This story is really about Yuuki and Zero. Kaname is just a road block that's interfering with them finding there way back to each other.
god i hope so, cause hes legitimately evil, i dont think some of his fans realize that he gets hate not because of just his personality but the fact that hes literally the cause for all this and hes making things worse, and hes completely aware of what hes doing to others

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 24, 2012 11:38 PM

Mar 2011
HikaruIzumi said:
Yet, he's not your typical villain since it's more than obvious that he has very deep feelings for Yuuki and has some hidden agenda.

Is his hidden agenda and feeling for the female protagonist what makes him special? To my knowledge and experience, most villains have hidden agendas (hence what makes them villains), and some do have some romantic affection for the female protagonists. If those two facts make him special, Rido must be special too then?

As for Kaname's background, a whole book was dedicated to his past, so I don't see how little is known about him. The only thing that needs to be revealed is his goal, which I agree to be complex and seems to be lengthy
May 25, 2012 10:26 AM

Mar 2010
anaaga said:

Is his hidden agenda and feeling for the female protagonist what makes him special? To my knowledge and experience, most villains have hidden agendas (hence what makes them villains), and some do have some romantic affection for the female protagonists. If those two facts make him special, Rido must be special too then?

Hidden agenda as in he wants to achieve something different than lets others know. Rido didn't have much of a hidden agenda. He was going directly after what he wanted. Kaname, on the other hand, is completely different. No one, not Yuuki, not even us know what he's TRULY after. And about those feelings, Rido's were possesive. He wanted Juuri (and later Yuuki) for himself while Kaname got hit just to protect her. Kaname's felings are deep and selfless. From what we saw it's safe to assume that he's pushing her away simply so that she won't get hurt. Yeah, I DO think that makes him a special "villain".
May 25, 2012 12:22 PM

Sep 2011
HikaruIzumi said:
anaaga said:

Hidden agenda as in he wants to achieve something different than lets others know. Rido didn't have much of a hidden agenda. He was going directly after what he wanted. Kaname, on the other hand, is completely different. No one, not Yuuki, not even us know what he's TRULY after. And about those feelings, Rido's were possesive. He wanted Juuri (and later Yuuki) for himself while Kaname got hit just to protect her. Kaname's felings are deep and selfless. From what we saw it's safe to assume that he's pushing her away simply so that she won't get hurt. Yeah, I DO think that makes him a special "villain".
he could be using her for something, and he needs her alive to accomplish whatever this is, i wouldnt be surprised

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

May 31, 2012 10:23 PM

Oct 2008
I don't know if he's supposed to be liked, but I never did. Ever since the beginning. Don't really know why I hated him from the get-go. Just something about him...
Thank goodness Zero showed up or else I'd have stopped reading it immediately.
Jun 1, 2012 5:22 PM
Jun 2012
I think Kaname is supposed to be a likable character, but at some point, the plot became too incoherent to make that happen.

I think of him as a failed "Damon" -- yes, from another popular vampire themed series, but not animated and western -- because he's tortured, does bad stuff and so on, but he is not funny.

Then again, with the tone of the anime, it would not make sense to have Kaname be used as a comedy relief, right?

It's not just that he isn't funny either, but also that initially, all his actions were justified by his overwhelming need to protect Yuki, but later on -- the past 10 chapters -- it seems as if there's some more obscure reason behind his modus operandi and that's still not quite clear.

Right now, he sure looks like some nutjob, doing random stuff with flimsy reasoning behind such acts. So it's kinda hard to like him, at least to me anyway.

Honestly though, if the explanations behind Kaname's behaviour are very stupid, I'll hate the mangaka and not him at the end of the day.
Jun 3, 2012 10:51 AM

Sep 2011
Arurie said:
I don't know if he's supposed to be liked, but I never did. Ever since the beginning. Don't really know why I hated him from the get-go. Just something about him...
i wouldnt say i hated him from the get go but by the 2nd seaspm i despised him

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jun 3, 2012 6:25 PM

Mar 2008
Im probably going to be the only one here but yes I still like Kaname =]

Im guessing everyone is suppose to like Kaname so when we get to this point of Kaname being evil and all het yummiest is suppose to make us sad and wish for him to stop the stupid idea of hat hooded lady's plan... which I did read somewhere that someone has picked up that the hooded lady and Zero look alike.

But I will forever be a Kaname fan, no matter what stupid/annoying thing he will do... haha
No matter how many breaths that you took, you still couldn't breath.
Jun 23, 2012 12:10 PM

Apr 2010
Maybe not like, but I guess he should be sympathized.

Jun 23, 2012 2:18 PM

Sep 2011
EfiChan said:
Maybe not like, but I guess he should be sympathized.
doing a shit job at it

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jun 26, 2012 2:09 PM

Mar 2011
Arurie said:
THIS THIS THIS I THOUSAND TIMES THIS.
Jun 29, 2012 10:49 PM

Jun 2012
this is just my opinion
but i dont see any reason to hate or despise kaname sure he did a lot of bad things but at least he helped yuki from suffering with all those bad memories and i dont get how ppl likes zero better, i mean hes no different from kaname,
he just as violent as kaname is.
sakurafanluvJun 29, 2012 11:04 PM
Jul 12, 2012 3:26 PM

Dec 2010
No matter what any Kaname fan says about "angsty violent Zero" there are two things you absolutely can't deny-- Zero is in his position and the way he is because Kaname wanted it that way and Kaname is hundreds (thousands?) Of years older than Zero, yet he doesn't seem to have spent the time growing up or moving on whereas Zero who has had what, a couple of years or so, still gets grief?

I personally tried to like Kaname but something always seemed off. The more I saw of him the less I liked him. Now I can't see him as a love interest, I really can't. If Yuuki goes for him after all the deaths and misery he caused (did someone seriously say he did this selflessly because if he did he has a very twisted sense of what Yuuki wants. Not that he'd listen to that.) If she stays there is no hope for her character's redemption for me.
SpiritedSarahSep 20, 2014 8:34 AM
Nov 13, 2012 10:02 PM

Jun 2011
Lol, Hino's not making us like Kaname. She probably wants us to make our own interpretations. I think that he is the biggest asshole in anime character history besides Light Yagami. That's just my opinion though.
Nov 14, 2012 4:46 PM
Sep 2012
I actually think that Kaname has a lot of depth and the way the story has played out and his character's progression is very interesting to me. A little off topic, but in terms of loving Yuuki; I feel like Kaname has a very selfish love for her. Whereas Zero has a very selfless love for her and, in my opinion, and shown that his feelings are so much stronger and pure.

The manga has shown me all the reasoning behind Kaname's actions and so I have a good understanding of what is going on and why he is doing what he is doing. In regards to liking him, I have to say that I'm rather neutral. I don't hate him like many others. I find him interesting, but I don't think that he fits into the "good guy" or "good love candidate" category. I don't even think, at this point, that his character can ever go back to being someone who isn't a villain.

Because he definitely is and I don't see him having a happy ending. At this point, I think the only ending he will see is death and I think the message he has sent to Yuuki is clear: She has to kill him to stop him because he won't stop his plans any other way.

He has definitely chosen his promise to that woman over Yuuki. But, he selfishly wants both. He wants to fulfill his plans and have Yuuki in the end even if it means the death of the two of them together.
Nov 22, 2012 1:00 AM

Sep 2012
Co-sign, usagituskino321 on your point about Zero's more selfless form of love for Yuuki. Kaname's love is a lot more self-centred and possessive - he regards Yuuki as his and gets jealous quite easily. While Zero was prepared to let Yuuki choose K over him and left it like that for a long time. I found that very admirable, because he never really stopped loving her.

Personally I can't let Kaname's good points (which shine through even now) slide, so I don't think I'd ever regard him as a villain per se. I understand the gravity of his sins and why others might think so but he's a morally ambiguous character still for me.

usagituskino321 said:

He has definitely chosen his promise to that woman over Yuuki. But, he selfishly wants both. He wants to fulfill his plans and have Yuuki in the end even if it means the death of the two of them together.

I think he wants to be the new parent and have Isaya turn Yuuki human. Or vice versa. So it's not really both of them dying together. He wants Yuuki's happiness.
Nov 22, 2012 7:15 AM

Jun 2012
HikaruIzumi said:
I like Kaname because I prefer the kind and cute guy over the violent bad guy with past that is supposed to make me feel bad for him. Besides, Kaname has a mystery to him (his goals, dreams, thoughts etc.) and that's something I find very interesting about characters. Zero, on the other hand, has nothing besides his looks to be appealing to me. He's your typical bad guy with "ugly" past. But when you think about it, he's just a closed minded freak that keeps feeling sorry for himself and expects everyone to help him while he treats them like trash (especially Yuuki and Kaien).

I don't see how Kaname is cute or kind... he freakin kills everyone for his own"dreams" and "goals". Yeah,okay he used to be a "mystery" until we found out everything about him which would/should happen anyway.
Zero,on the other hand, as you say,doesn't just have his "looks" and his past is not ugly, it's traumatic. Zero is the one being kind because even if his attitude is "rude" he will always help others and the people that love him know that as well.But Kaname doesn't seem to be caring about anyone but himself. Is THAT kind? And you know, this "ugly" past is your Kaname's fault in ANY possible WAY!But even so, if you believe that it's ugly, I guess that it just makes Kaname ugly,heh.
Kaname is a freakin' FAIL villain, not a nice villain.

My happiness is his unhappiness, and his happiness is my unhappiness.
-- Sankarea
Nov 22, 2012 10:03 AM
Mar 2011
smokahontas96 said:
Lol, Hino's not making us like Kaname. She probably wants us to make our own interpretations. I think that he is the biggest asshole in anime character history besides Light Yagami. That's just my opinion though.

I feel the exact same way about Zero that you do about Kaname but that's also just my opinion, I've just always found it easier for me to sympathize with Kaname then Zero because I see a lot of traits that I have in Kaname, whereas I'm not like Zero AT ALL and thus find it hard to sympathize with him.

Vesperlynd said:
Co-sign, usagituskino321 on your point about Zero's more selfless form of love for Yuuki. Kaname's love is a lot more self-centred and possessive - he regards Yuuki as his and gets jealous quite easily. While Zero was prepared to let Yuuki choose K over him and left it like that for a long time. I found that very admirable, because he never really stopped loving her.

But didn't Kaname also let Yuuki go? That was why he gave her the Artemis. I don't know I've never viewed Kaname as self-centered, possessive maybe but for me that's explained by his past where he lost the HW (didn't he say in one chapter that one of the reasons he's so protective of her is because he doesn't want her sacrificing herself for a pointless cause) in the same way that the cold way Zero treated Yuuki at times (he's gotten better lately o.o) can be explained by his past experiences with vampires. For me I always interpreted Kaname as selfless (especially after chapter 88 when (spoiler tagged in case people haven't read it yet XD):

The very fact that he's willing to sacrifice himself for other people makes him appear selfless in my eyes even if the way he's doing it isn't the best way to go about it.

AnnaVk said:

I don't see how Kaname is cute or kind... he freakin kills everyone for his own"dreams" and "goals". Yeah,okay he used to be a "mystery" until we found out everything about him which would/should happen anyway.
Zero,on the other hand, as you say,doesn't just have his "looks" and his past is not ugly, it's traumatic. Zero is the one being kind because even if his attitude is "rude" he will always help others and the people that love him know that as well.But Kaname doesn't seem to be caring about anyone but himself. Is THAT kind? And you know, this "ugly" past is your Kaname's fault in ANY possible WAY!But even so, if you believe that it's ugly, I guess that it just makes Kaname ugly,heh.
Kaname is a freakin' FAIL villain, not a nice villain.

Okay I really REALLY disagree with you here, Kaname does care about other people and what he's doing isn't necessarily HIS dreams and goals what he's doing and done has always been for the sake of someone else (Yuuki; HW) AND he does care about others as well why else would he tell Yuuki to take care of Ruka, or show such sad faces when Yuuki appears before him, or stroke Yuuki's cheek when he's fighting her, or protect her from an anti-vampire weapon. Even when he told Ruka that they were through it was more of a kindness to both her and Cain because he was severing her attachment to him, in other words freeing her. Also you don't seem to understand Kaname's past if you can say it was his fault: The woman he loved sacrificed herself, his "parents" sacrificed himself, his deepest fear is that Yuuki (who he loves more than anything as he stated before) will sacrifice herself. He's been killing people since the day he was resurrected by first taking the life of Yuuki's real brother (by no fault of his) and has willingly tainted himself in blood simply so he can protect Yuuki, even Yuuki asked "What horrible things did you have to endure all alone for so long to make you feel this way..." after he poured his heart out to her about how tainted he was.

I could go on but I've already given you part of the core of an essay that I'm writing that explains how Kaname is more of an anti-hero (like Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass) than a villain.
Nov 22, 2012 9:13 PM

Jan 2008
Narutowolf77 said:
I could go on but I've already given you part of the core of an essay that I'm writing that explains how Kaname is more of an anti-hero (like Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass) than a villain.

This. This.

Kaname is totally the kind of "I'm going to use evil to fight evil" character. He sees his means as the only effective way to end a system that continuously result in tragedies. Basically Lelouch without the drama AND is bad/cryptic at expressing themselves. Hino's style of scripting that leaves much up to interpretation instead of flat out explaining things doesn't help.

I personally find Kaname really sad. He planned out the entire thing from before the story even started with the intention of screwing up everyone's lives and very likely leaving him with no allies by the end. This also makes him a remarkably composed character who actually applies long-term thinking and logic (rationality depending on your point of view) to his decisions instead of Zero who spends half his time running on pure impulse.
Nov 23, 2012 1:24 AM

Jun 2010
Kaname Kuran; Member Favorites: 3297.

..Yet.
Jan 30, 2013 10:52 AM

Sep 2008
deathxempress said:

..Yet.

Kiryuu Zero, Member Favorites: 6103
Feb 28, 2013 5:12 PM

Mar 2011
LittleStar said:
deathxempress said:

..Yet.

Kiryuu Zero, Member Favorites: 6103

Apr 2, 2013 7:36 PM
Jan 2011
I thought he was cool in the beginning. But then he started pulling all of that trollish crap that suddenly had good intentions (which I think they decided at the last minute). He doesn't look intimidating, but out of anyone in the series, he should probably be feared the most and perhaps even sympathized.

He's eerily calm, manipulative, smart, charming, powerful (almost too powerful), kind, aside from Zero and disregarding Ruka's crush, you gotta admit, he hasn't done anything too hateful to any of the main characters. He's protective of Yuuki, maybe a bit to a possessive level. He's got crazy determination. He's stubborn and true to himself and won't let others influence his choices and opinions.

But if you think about his backstory, he's got one hell of a history. Yuuki is quite literally ALL HE HAS and she is all he lives for. If it weren't for Yuuki and him being immortal he'd surely off himself.
May 22, 2013 7:42 AM
Jan 2011
In response to the thread opener, in my opinion since the first chapter of this manga I have never thought of Kaname as the good guy. I always knew he had some role to play in the future that is definitely going to be dark. The recent chapters in the manga really revealed Kaname's reason and personality to us to the point where its impossible to consider him as a villain or good guy anymore. But in Vampire Knight Kaname is without a doubt the main character. Therefore ask yourself does it really matter to you so much if the main character is the villain or good guy? If you feel like he must fit inside some definitive role and without it you will have lost grasp of your assessment of his personality, then i can only say that you have truly picked the wrong manga to read.

I like Kaname, but I can understand not everyone will like him due to his personality and motivation. He does some pretty crazy stuff in the manga and appears to be emotionally detached from everyone, even to Yuuki who he is supposed to love. Especially when Kaname is compared to Zero who is basically perfect boyfriend material and the bad-boy type every teen girl find herself enamored with at some point in her life. Kaname is definitely less than perfect and not someone easily likable and sympathized with.

However I feel that Kaname is definitely not two dimensional and there is an infinite amount of depth to him that only recently have been revealed in the manga. His reasons and motivation has always been in the dark to the readers, and it's been a point of much mystery for us to the point where it has become a turn off since VK's story has advanced quite slowly and many people simply lost interest. Compared to Kaname's unreasonable and incomprehensible behavior Zero is really the more likable guy. He has a clear motive, plenty of past tragedy to sympathize with, and a worthwhile bond with Yuuki. Also he never changed his mind and always stuck by Yuuki's side, how can such a man not be perfect for Yuuki?

I can understand the feeling of most fans, and recently even I have warmed up to Zero and grew to like him. Especially since
That really impressed me and lead me to believe his feeling for Yuuki is deep and he is worthy. However Kaname does not lose to Zero in any of the above area, and despite the fact his story took longer to take shape, everything has finally been revealed and it's finally possible to understand the depth of Kaname's feeling for Yuuki and to also comprehend everything that has occurred up until now

Read my dissection on Kaname Here
May 22, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2013
Well to me he's the only character that is still even remotely interesting.
I liked Yuuki at first but quickly turned indifferent then disliked her.I don't dislike Zero but I have no reason to like him either,he doesn't interest me and I wouldn't like a character out of pity (which is the only thing I ever felt for him,though not often).
May 22, 2013 9:57 AM

Aug 2010
S-ER said:
Well to me he's the only character that is still even remotely interesting.
I liked Yuuki at first but quickly turned indifferent then disliked her.I don't dislike Zero but I have no reason to like him either,he doesn't interest me and I wouldn't like a character out of pity (which is the only thing I ever felt for him,though not often).

my thoughts exactly...Kaname is an interesting character for me..
May 22, 2013 10:05 AM

Apr 2011
hmm, I honestly don't like Kaname.. Even if you ask me why, I can't answer it.. somethin' feels off about him.. I tried to understand his situation and that he does things for Yuuki's sake but :| I just can't bring myself to like him..

as for who ends up with who, I don't want Yuuki to end up with Zero.. Yuuki will never be a reward for Zero.. I don't mind Yuuki ending up w/ Kaname though XD
Jul 13, 2013 8:31 AM

Jun 2013
To be completely honest, I only started reading this manga because of Kaname, so yes, I might be a little biased. I guess I never really saw him as a villain and I've reread the series countless times. In my opinion, his actions were twisted and very cruel at times (especially towards Zero) but if you look at the meaning of his actions, wasn't he only doing it for Yuki, his 'dear girl'? If you look at it that way, it kind of softens the blow of his cruelties and almost makes him admirable (kind of, sort of?). I mean, he basically dedicates his life to making her life the best it can be, and also, in the very end of the series, it's stated that Kaname is on the side of the humans, I mean, he's trying to save them! I always viewed him as a good guy . . .
magnificentmomoJul 13, 2013 8:36 AM
I like the internet.
Jul 31, 2013 12:44 AM

Jul 2013
I guess we were supposed to like Kaname since in the end he turned out to do all of the for the sake of Yuki and the Human race. Some of his decisions were questionable, and he surely wasn't a 2-dimensional character, which is why IMO he fits perfectly as the king.

Honestly I read VK because of Kaname. I found him interesting to say the least, though I didn't really care much for the others...except Aidou -- he's adorable.
Aug 1, 2013 8:20 PM
Apr 2011
Reading through all the comments really is lolz worthy.

People get so worked up in dividing this manga so black/white, evil/good, Kaname/Zero. I wouldn't categorize either Kaname or Zero as good or bad, they both walk in the grey area.

But before I beginning, let's all agree to disagree.

I don't think we're really supposed to like Kaname; Kaname's character is supposed to make you feel conflicted because he's not as simple as being 'just a good guy' or a 'bad guy'. He’s not predictable and he’s the shadow that guides most events in the story. Not everyone likes that, heck some people can't accept that there's more to his character then what we’re giving at face value. And many blame him for being 'too perfect' or 'too supreme'.

Kaname has always been mysterious and manipulative, he never really gave his plan away unless needed or until the end. He acted the part of the villain in order for his plan to come into effect – story wise it didn’t really make sense but I blame more Hino for her lack of storytelling and consistency.

He’s far from being perfect; he’s in fact a very conflicted individual because he struggles with his own desires versus ‘what is best’. At times we see him jealous or possessive and sometimes border lining selfish when it came to Yuki. {But I really think that the love between Yuki and Kaname is selfish to beginning with.} A lot of times he sacrifices what he wants for either Yuki or ‘the betterment of the world’, so he’s a selfless individual as well. He’s a contradicting and changing character, in the end he’s the driving force of the story. All the decisions he makes affect everyone and drive them to this ultimate end. I think he always had good intentions, sometimes it was muddled within all the so-called ‘sins’ he did.

I would say Kaname’s the anti-hero of VK. Perhaps not all his façade are likeable or easily packed into one simple characterization, but I think that’s what makes him interesting. He’s a very dark character that isn’t afraid to get dirty. I feel like he’s always been a main character, the driving force, and everyone else were set pieces to showcase him. *shrug*

Zero has always been the victim. Plain and simple. He’s the ultimate archetype for this type of character. He does and says things that are at times hurtful – prime example, Yuki – but we have to understand that he has deep animosity for vampires, so when Yuki became a Pureblood it only makes sense he acted the way he did.

He can act very ‘mean’ or cold but I think it’s his way of protecting himself and preventing others from being pulled ‘in the fight’. In the beginning we saw how selfish he can be but as the story progressed he became more independent and selfless in some of his acts. He’s mostly consistent, character wise, throughout the story, and he never really does anything that goes against the good of the many. Do I think he can be a bit of a ‘broody-emo’, yeah, but it made sense character-wise. Although the last chapter was gag worthy, what he said… urgh… to see such a character to be diminished to that… *shakes head*

Zero is more of the knight in the story, the hero, who isn’t necessarily ‘nice’ or ‘good’ personality wise but his actions a lot of times spoke volumes. He protected humanity and those unable to protect themselves (well mostly Yuki). Vampires aren’t ‘good’ or ‘defenseless’ beings, so I never really considered his actions against any vampire as necessarily ‘bad’, perhaps at times ‘douche-y’.

I think because Zero is seen as ‘the Knight’, people simply assume that the story has always been about him. No. It’s always been about the stupid Love Triangle and the struggled between those THREE.

This is just my opinion, in fact all these comments are just OPINIONS. So calm yo tits people.
Dec 30, 2013 10:43 AM
Mar 2013
SpiritedSarah said:
No matter what any Kaname fan says about "angsty violent Zero" there are two things you absolutely can't deny-- Zero is in his position and the way he is because Kaname wanted it that way and Kaname is hundreds (thousands?) Of years older than Zero, yet he doesn't seem to have spent the time growing up or moving on whereas Zero who has had what, a couple of years or so, still gets grief?

I personally tried to like Kaname but something always seemed off. The more I saw of him the less I liked him. Now I can't see him as a love interest, I really can't. If Yuuki goes for him after all the deaths and misery he caused (did someone seriously say he did this selflessly because if he dis he has a very twisted sense of what Yuuki wants. Not that he'd listen to that.) There is no hope for her character's redemption for me.
agree ^^
Jan 18, 2016 12:09 AM
Jan 2016
How this Zero being turned into a vampire Kaname's fault. There is nothing in the anime that reveals hat Kaname messed with the hunter associations list!! This blog is stupid everyone chooses zero because his characters a lil bitch and females don't like to see a bad ass who doesn't give a fuck about anything but himself and his girl and zero cares about everyone but yet he doesn't give two fucks about any of the vampires in the series but yeah you're right zeros selfless and another point is is that kanames true intention the whole time was to destroy the senate if you paid attention you would've caught on at the beginning of season two
Jan 18, 2016 2:37 AM
Jun 2015
He's nowhere near below average, let alone decent, but he's better than Zero and Yuki. Are you sure the ENTIRE CAST was supposed to be hated?
Mar 29, 2017 4:24 AM

Oct 2016
I never really find any reasons to like him.

Something undeniable and I can agree that he's gorgeous but that's all to that. There's just something about him that I really can't help but hate.

From the very beginning, I've already love Zero and that will be for forever.
Apr 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Oct 2014
I liked him for a very simple reason: Yuki liked him. He was the person she was crushing on and I was invested in her struggles. I wanted her to succeed in her quest to win him over because I liked Yuki... in the beginning.

Zero was... forced... more of a friend and.... a down right asshole. I never liked him, but I grew to understand him. He always felt like the pity choice to me, and the ending felt like a pity option. It felt like Yuki could not be with Kaname because he was "dead" so she settled for Zero. The worst possible way to end a manga, not giving Zero Yuki's heart because he'd earned it, but because he was the only option available.

Imo the author should have gone full out evil with Kaname and made him a villain in the second half, made Yuki and Zero legitimately fall in love and remorsefully take down Kaname together, which would have wrapped up the story neatly and made a heck of a lot more sense. At that point in the story, I had lost interest in Kaname/Yuki because.. well, Kaname loved the other girls more than Yuki, and Yuki had started falling for Zero.. only to do a 360 and sleep with Kaname... Yeah, Yuki was a bitch by the end... No sympathy for that girl. I think Zero deserved better tbh.
Apr 8, 2017 12:59 PM

Oct 2016
kamuinoyume said:
I liked him for a very simple reason: Yuki liked him. He was the person she was crushing on and I was invested in her struggles. I wanted her to succeed in her quest to win him over because I liked Yuki... in the beginning.

Zero was... forced... more of a friend and.... a down right asshole. I never liked him, but I grew to understand him. He always felt like the pity choice to me, and the ending felt like a pity option. It felt like Yuki could not be with Kaname because he was "dead" so she settled for Zero. The worst possible way to end a manga, not giving Zero Yuki's heart because he'd earned it, but because he was the only option available.

Imo the author should have gone full out evil with Kaname and made him a villain in the second half, made Yuki and Zero legitimately fall in love and remorsefully take down Kaname together, which would have wrapped up the story neatly and made a heck of a lot more sense. At that point in the story, I had lost interest in Kaname/Yuki because.. well, Kaname loved the other girls more than Yuki, and Yuki had started falling for Zero.. only to do a 360 and sleep with Kaname... Yeah, Yuki was a bitch by the end... No sympathy for that girl. I think Zero deserved better tbh.

We have the same sentiments when I found out what will happen in the last volume. I haven't finished this because the truth is, it's a struggle to accept this small facts about Yuki and Kaname and it actually made me more angry at them.

I really felt like Zero was her last option because Kaname is gone and she doesn't want to be alone. She's such a bitch by doing that knowing that Zero loves her with all his being and she's making good use of that love. Which time and time I'll keep on repeating Zero doesn't need Yuki's half-assed love. He deserves better than that. I just wish Matsuri-sensei have ended the manga in a better way.

And as I read the manga now, I'm at the part where Yuki found out about Kaname's history. It looks like the hooded woman was the woman Kaname truly loves.

Kaname is pitiful at time but I just can't find that something that will make me really pity him. He has someone with him but with Zero he's suffering alone. My poor baby Zero. 😢😭
Dec 27, 2017 6:30 AM

Jul 2011
I Apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes ;3

Honestly... I'm really sad when I see how many people doesn't see a true Kaname's nature. I love him. Not just becouse he’s handsome or anything like this. He is interesting and he have a strong and complicated personality. Against a lot of negative opinions, he's a good person. But on the past he really suffered. So much more than Zero. But the author didn't accentuate a lot of very important facts from the Kaname's life. She creatived around Yuuki and Zero the "image of saint", around Kaname "image of evil". I have pretty pretension to her for that :/
It's shows clearly that he did a lot of good things. He care about Yuuki, sacrifice all his life to protect her, even at the expense of his happiness, public opinion and health. That's right, his heatlh was also violated becouse in fact he is a vampire who need to drink blood if he want to survive, especially if he will drink the blood of the person he love. But he can't do it from a clear reasons. In addition, he looks how his beloved is sucked by someone else. It had to be a nightmare.
But it's only the "top of the iceberg".
Think about it…
He was good for Yuuki, but becouse of his panic fear of losing a close person and the fact that around of her "vultures circled" in the another pureblood vampire form, he had a huge obsession about protecting her. And he has never been brutal for Yuuki, so she could to say "no" anytime when she wanted. So in this topic he wasn't a bad partner but she didn't know what she want. I don't like her becouse of that.
She hurted both of guys, Kaname and Zero.
Finally
Zero for example was a good guy but
Of course he loves her and that hate was a "smokenscreen" but come on, Zero, let's fight of her, instead of setting and do nothing. That's kind of girl which doesn't know what she want so if u wonna her u have to do sth xD (read higher).
Kaname fighted of the Yuuki's save, a better world, even though everyone will hates him.

And, what is funny, he wanted to everyone will hate him, especially a close persons, in order to stay away from him and be save. The great example –

Why is this funny?
Becouse you hate him – Just as Kaname planned! XD
So that's why I love him and admire his sacrifise, intellect and determination.
Jan 11, 2018 9:30 PM

Jul 2009
Iris225 said:
I Apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes ;3

Honestly... I'm really sad when I see how many people doesn't see a true Kaname's nature. I love him. Not just becouse he’s handsome or anything like this. He is interesting and he have a strong and complicated personality. Against a lot of negative opinions, he's a good person. But on the past he really suffered. So much more than Zero. But the author didn't accentuate a lot of very important facts from the Kaname's life. She creatived around Yuuki and Zero the "image of saint", around Kaname "image of evil". I have pretty pretension to her for that :/
It's shows clearly that he did a lot of good things. He care about Yuuki, sacrifice all his life to protect her, even at the expense of his happiness, public opinion and health. That's right, his heatlh was also violated becouse in fact he is a vampire who need to drink blood if he want to survive, especially if he will drink the blood of the person he love. But he can't do it from a clear reasons. In addition, he looks how his beloved is sucked by someone else. It had to be a nightmare.
But it's only the "top of the iceberg".
Think about it…
He was good for Yuuki, but becouse of his panic fear of losing a close person and the fact that around of her "vultures circled" in the another pureblood vampire form, he had a huge obsession about protecting her. And he has never been brutal for Yuuki, so she could to say "no" anytime when she wanted. So in this topic he wasn't a bad partner but she didn't know what she want. I don't like her becouse of that.
She hurted both of guys, Kaname and Zero.
Finally
Zero for example was a good guy but
Of course he loves her and that hate was a "smokenscreen" but come on, Zero, let's fight of her, instead of setting and do nothing. That's kind of girl which doesn't know what she want so if u wonna her u have to do sth xD (read higher).
Kaname fighted of the Yuuki's save, a better world, even though everyone will hates him.

And, what is funny, he wanted to everyone will hate him, especially a close persons, in order to stay away from him and be save. The great example –

Why is this funny?
Becouse you hate him – Just as Kaname planned! XD
So that's why I love him and admire his sacrifise, intellect and determination.

^ Someone gets it. Honestly it's Zero I can't stand. And it's even more painful because he's the more popular one, so I have to constantly deal with this Zero fangirls. But to be honest I would be fine with Zero as long as Zero x Yuuki was never pushed. I don't want them together. It was always supposed to be Kaname x Yuuki

Kaname-sama T-T
Feb 13, 2021 1:13 PM
Jun 2020
StorySpinner said:

no there is no reason yuki stays a slut who will change who she’s in love with every ten chapters and the characters keep getting more shallow

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 68 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jan 22, 2011

26 by Ayano-Kinoshita »»
Apr 17, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 66 Discussion

tsubasalover - Oct 23, 2010

16 by Ayano-Kinoshita »»
Apr 16, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 93 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Lalalandzz - May 22, 2013

271 by weaboo_lord »»
Feb 4, 8:37 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 1 Discussion

VARIAchan - Nov 4, 2009

7 by miaeiner »»
Oct 17, 2023 5:14 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 58 Discussion

tsubasalover - Feb 19, 2010

30 by LaurenStark »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.