Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2008 11:10 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a great ending! Somehow Hachi managed to propose to Tanabe in space, on-board their previous ship the Toy Box. We see how everyone's changed (or not,) even the people that only show up in one episode. Then in the end we find out that Tanabe and Hachi did get married, with many hints that she's pregnant with his baby. I love these endings.

Congratulations everyone!
Sep 5, 2008 6:51 AM

Jan 2008
Nice ending and what a proposal XP
It sad that it will take seven years, their child will be about 7 years old when he comes back :/
But whatever, still nice ending.

Overall rating 9/10.
Sep 10, 2008 8:53 PM
Sep 2007
Yeah, sweet happy ending. But wait, Hakim lives?! Oh well. I bet that if the baby is a boy, he's going to be an astronaut too.

Overall: 8+
Story: 8
Art: 7
Sound: 7
Characters: 8
Enjoyment: 8
Sep 12, 2008 11:03 AM

Aug 2007
Didn't Hakim blow up the moon station after all taking Nono with him?
The Credits show a huge crater with a cross and a big funeral.
Oct 23, 2008 7:09 AM

Feb 2008
Chilischote said:
Didn't Hakim blow up the moon station after all taking Nono with him?
The Credits show a huge crater with a cross and a big funeral.

that was for the mirror engine accident, that's why they were showing pictures of the ninjas.

dunno if he kept going with the terrorist thing or not, he seemed more than a little crazy and meeting Nono seemed to have an impact on him.

very good ending overall, seems to be plenty of room for a sequel too. not that i'm really expecting one at this point.

does this mean that Tanabe gave up on being an astronaut again? think it'd be difficult to continue with a child to take care of. unless she wanted to abandon it with its grandmother and uncle for long periods of time.
Nov 6, 2008 11:38 AM

Jun 2007
Great ending, it definitely left a warm feeling. After all they went through Tanabe and Hachi managed to live their dreams. Now Hachimaki has a place to return to and Tanabe will be waiting for him. Aw so happy.
Proposal scene was awesome

10/10

jacobpaige said:
does this mean that Tanabe gave up on being an astronaut again? think it'd be difficult to continue with a child to take care of. unless she wanted to abandon it with its grandmother and uncle for long periods of time.
Maybe she will take the child with her and wait for Hachi in space :D
Nov 28, 2008 4:11 PM

May 2008
One of the best endings in anime! I just saw it today on DVD and it's so cool! And just for official purposes, the Japanese director admits that even he doesn't know what the gender of the new baby is going to be...oy.
KhakiBlueSocksNov 28, 2008 4:14 PM
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Jan 6, 2009 6:16 PM

Oct 2008
I disliked the ending, what kind of nonsense is that, waiting for 7 years? Is going to Jupiter for no real reason better than staying with your wife (and child)? Wow, so what was the purpose of his enlightenment, if he just returns to space?

Granted, I still gave it a 9/10, but it would have been a 10 if Hachi stayed on Earth. Just IMHO.
Jan 6, 2009 7:48 PM

Nov 2008
fnmpm said:
I disliked the ending, what kind of nonsense is that, waiting for 7 years? Is going to Jupiter for no real reason better than staying with your wife (and child)? Wow, so what was the purpose of his enlightenment, if he just returns to space?

Granted, I still gave it a 9/10, but it would have been a 10 if Hachi stayed on Earth. Just IMHO.

Read the manga. I really suggest it because it fleshes out the whole anime series much better and has a more realistic, mature ending instead of having a fancy terrorist conspiracy plot.
Jan 7, 2009 5:50 AM

Nov 2008
ender650 said:
I liked the ending, I didnt think the ending was perfect, but it was pretty close. I don't think I can think of a better way they could have ended it. Its certainly better than the endings in many series that manage to ruin a perfectly good show.

Please explain to me how in the world a "catfight on a distant planet" work into a potential masterpiece... T_T
Jan 7, 2009 3:15 PM

Oct 2008
The terrorist plot was fine, but I agree with the user above that the tragic ending would have been better. I just didn't understand his reason for leaving for Jupiter after he found out that his idea of space was wrong all along.

I've heard that the manga is rambling and doesn't flow as smoothly as the anime does. However, is there any place where I can start, or should I read the whole thing?
Jan 7, 2009 9:52 PM

Nov 2008
fnmpm said:
The terrorist plot was fine, but I agree with the user above that the tragic ending would have been better. I just didn't understand his reason for leaving for Jupiter after he found out that his idea of space was wrong all along.

I've heard that the manga is rambling and doesn't flow as smoothly as the anime does. However, is there any place where I can start, or should I read the whole thing?

Read the manga. That's all I can say. The anime is a complete mess when compared to it.
Jan 8, 2009 5:05 AM

Jun 2008
fnmpm said:

Hachi's... well, let's just say that I don't like him very much.

The anime and the manga are two very different works. Even if you like one, there's no guarantee you'll like the other, as me and arimakenshin can attest.

]
arimakenshin said:

Read the manga. That's all I can say. The anime is a complete mess when compared to it.

I must disagree. It's quite the other way round.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 8, 2009 6:55 AM

Jan 2008
fnmpm said:

Rambling!? Its only 4 volumes! You cant get more smooth than that, every single chapter is integral to the plot as opposed to a 26 episode series packed with side trips into filler nonsense with SPACE NINJA. Oh look, there goes the realism the manga was famed for. Seriously check out the manga, it sheds annoyingly squeaky Indian looking filler characters and you'll be all the better for it.

turkeymeister said:
I must disagree. It's quite the other way round.

4 volumes buddy. All quality storytelling. Its pretty much tradition for an anime adaptation to be a mess and not the source material, such are the dangers of adaptation.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 9, 2009 6:56 AM

Jun 2008
Cihan said:
Rambling!? Its only 4 volumes! You cant get more smooth than that, every single chapter is integral to the plot as opposed to a 26 episode series packed with side trips into filler nonsense with SPACE NINJA. Oh look, there goes the realism the manga was famed for. Seriously check out the manga, it sheds annoyingly squeaky Indian looking filler characters and you'll be all the better for it.

The Space Ninja barely appear in one episode, and they're handled quite realistically. They're bums, they're looked down upon, and all their stunts are in fact quite possible given the low gravity on the moon.

And as I believe I said on the other thread, most chapters may be integral to the plot, but the plot is horrendous. And on the other side, you have Alien Barons who want to Make Friends, Martian Baseball, Colonel Sanders, and Dead Cats. The anime flows a damn sight better than the manga could ever hope to do.

4 volumes buddy. All quality storytelling. Its pretty much tradition for an anime adaptation to be a mess and not the source material, such are the dangers of adaptation.

Not in this case.
turkeymeisterJan 9, 2009 7:04 AM

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 9, 2009 7:09 AM
Dec 2008
i really loved the ending that this episode had
Jan 9, 2009 7:19 AM

Jun 2008
rahahm33 said:
i really loved the ending that this episode had

There were two separate endings: one for each subplot. Which one did you like?

formosan said:
Feb 1, 2009 2:47 AM

Jun 2008
i love watching happy endings
Feb 13, 2009 6:40 PM

Jan 2009
Great ending, but i find it funny that their going to Jupiter with one chick.:P And after 7 years i wouldn't be surprised if Tanabe moved on and married Kyutaro

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"-Steven Wright
Feb 16, 2009 8:35 AM
Sep 2008
Awesome end, 10/10 overall for me, so tanabe's pregnant? i wonder what will be the newborn's name. man she'll be lonely for 7 years, hachi hurry up and come back with your load of dusty rocks :/ quick.
Feb 19, 2009 8:20 PM

Jun 2008
20/10

I loved it! It's been a long time since I saw an anime this good.
Apr 18, 2009 5:58 PM

Sep 2008
Masterpiece. It really moved me. I love how despite its settings, the story reminds me of life in general.
Apr 20, 2009 2:33 PM

Sep 2008
well it turned out to be a better last ep than I thought... ALthough the eps before this were starting to get on my nerves.... oh well atleast it ended good.
Jun 28, 2009 11:08 AM
Jun 2009
Warm atmosphere + awesome proposal.
Definately a good ending for such a good series.
Jul 29, 2009 10:36 AM

Jun 2009
The best project Sunrise has done in the decade. Hands down. Granted, it's an adaptation of the already great manga, but it still delivers new stuff that mixes well with its themes. Truly, one of the best anime I have ever had the pleasure of watching.
Aug 11, 2009 10:44 AM
Apr 2009
great ending..i've watched many anime where the ending really didn't end anything. This left me feeling warm and complete.

Great show.

8/10
Aug 14, 2009 2:23 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
LaNsLyDe said:
This left me feeling warm and complete.
exactly!

i loved this series. I'm very glad i watched it and would recommend it to anyone. i'm also saddened that Tanabe and Hachi's child will not meet his/her father for 7 years but eh, I guess it can't be perfect!
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 8, 2009 9:35 AM

Apr 2009
Almost a masterpiece... if only it could do away with all that terrorism bullshit...
Dec 18, 2009 12:15 PM

Jun 2009
I'm really satisfied with the ending. Overall, it wasn't perfect, but indeed enjoyable show. 9/10
Jan 3, 2010 7:09 PM

May 2009
the ending was nice, especially the proposal part, which was a rip-off from the manga (which is a good thing)

Story: 8, it was great on the parts they used from the manga, but what they introduced in the anime was just bad, and with no sense at all (space ninjas?!)

Art: 5, most of time it was ok, but the characters just looked horrible.

Sound: 5, most of the VA was ok, but again there was characters (like the indian clown and the chief) who had the most annoying voices ever. And the OP sucked.

Characters: 7, The characters in Planetes (Manga) are just awesome (as anything else in the manga), and in the anime they continue to be more or less, but all the side-characters that the anime added (incuding Claire) were so useless and some of them annoying (the Chief and the indian clown)

Enjoiment: 5, i hardly could enjoy this, knowing that they had so good material from the manga, which they didn't even used.

Overall: 6, a weak adaptation of a masterpiece of an manga.

It's really annoying the amount of parts they cut-off to replace with fighting scenes and other random nonsense.

And for those who say that the Manga and the Anime are to different works and shoudn't been compared, i say just that this is an official adaptation of the Manga with the same name, so yes i will continue to compare it to the manga. If the manga didn't exist i would probaly give it a score of 8, but it exists, and they had the content for usage but failed, so i sadly give this Anime 6/10.
Jan 5, 2010 8:50 PM

Feb 2009
that has got to be the best proposal ever. lol.
[url=http://www.squiby.net/level/4135737]
Jan 7, 2010 9:09 PM

Jul 2007
such an overlooked awesome anime, 9/10
Jan 25, 2010 5:25 PM

Apr 2009
This was really good, but the end was just too thrown together for the series to warrant a 10. It started to get annoyed once all that poor country/ rich country talk started to happen, even if it was the catalyst for the terrorist incidents.

The one thing that upsets me more than anything is that Hakim got away. I thought he burned to bits in the 25th episode.
Feb 15, 2010 5:12 PM
Jun 2009
I just finished the manga and anime today. The manga was a bit better but I loved both.

That proposal scene was beautiful.
Apr 22, 2010 10:21 AM

May 2007
I love the ending, I loved the entire series.....Fee-chan was cool. I thought Lucie was gonna be a bitch but she turned out well and I'm kinda glad she's getting married to Colin....I think his attitude will change and I hope that Claire loves him because of him and not just for his money but the way it looks like, she has also finally and really fallen in love.....I think. =P

I felt sorry for Claire (anime-only character)....10 years but in a way thats a short time considering what she did and how she was involved in the whole mess. I guess we will never know if she will ever find love or get married for that matter........I kinda hope it will be Cheng, the guy was good but turned into a weird jerk in the latter phase of the series but he's now back on track and a new and changed man.....but I don't think it will happen.....I doubt he will wait for her. I guess this is one of the things which I though that could be settled but they did, they would have to do a 10-year time-skip.

Ah well, I loved this series and its the 2nd time I've watched it. I wish the VAs of this series were a bit more profilic during these times, it looks like many of them have quit or only have a few or minor roles in the series these past few years. >_>

I usually rate things high but I honestly believes this deserves a 10/10....it was exciting to watch and I never felt bored watching it beacuse I've watched worse. =P
May 17, 2010 11:11 PM

Sep 2009
It was kind of a bittersweet ending to me. Hachi and Tanabe are completely together now, but 7 years is a long time. Hopefully they have really good long range communication.
May 18, 2010 5:07 PM

Mar 2010
I really did enjoy this series more than I expected. I think the ending was appropriate, and I'm glad they went with the choice of having everyone survive. I'm pretty bored of every anime having characters die off at the end just to tell you the world is a terrible place. For once, it looks like everything worked out.

Jun 4, 2010 12:03 AM

Jun 2009
If this anime appeared to be worth less than a 9/10 to you then you were watching it wrong. Please try again.

kaizer11 said:
hachi hurry up and come back with your load of dusty rocks :/ quick.
he's going to Jupiter...
Jun 9, 2010 1:35 PM

Dec 2007
Since I'm a huge fan of the Planetes manga, I decided to pick up the anime recently and just got through watching it.

Wow. How could an adaptation be so full of failure? I mean, the parts where they actually adapt the stuff from the manga is good. For example, everyone is saying how good the proposal scene is, what with Hachimaki and Tanabe playing Shiritori and Hachimaki saying "Marry Me" and making Tanabe lose by saying "Un" (because it ends with 'n') was just fantastic, and it was right from the manga. The difference? That scene is in the middle of the manga, whereas the anime has it at the very end.

The entire terrorist plot was just trash, especially Tanabe and Claire ending up in the same situation that Hachimaki and his copilot (forgotten his name) ended up on the surface of the moon and miles away from Sea of Tranquility city.

Why couldn't they show Hachimaki going to Jupiter? Why couldn't they show Fee and her family, and the lessons she learned from the dog? They actually did show the Yuri-arc (with his wife's compass), so why did Fee get the shaft?

This is just a massive fail to anyone who knows the original source and particularly knows how much they shredded the second half to put in some asinine thriller/suspense action scenes.

I echo the words of an earlier poster in this thread: read the manga.
Jun 12, 2010 6:34 PM

Mar 2008
Pretty decent final episode, although it was a bit nonsensical. Then again, there was barely any real plot in this series. It just seemed that it was made purely for character development, which is not bad in itself, but clearly not enough.

That being said, if I were to look at the series is a whole, it is VERY far from a masterpiece... actually, I wouldn't even consider it for that category. Why? Although it had plenty of "powerful" episodes, events were all over the place... random, if I may. Not only that, there were a lot of situations that didn't have the necessary build up and ended up being too shallow.
The series strongest plot point is supposed to be some terrorist attack that I don't even know why we waste time on it in the first place, since it accomplishes nothing storywise. In the end, everything is back as it started so I suppose you may even call it a filler.
The plot is CLEARLY the weakest field in this series (4/10)

Artwise, it was pretty decent. Had some issues with character designs but that's a "style", doesn't mean it's bad. Animation was also pretty decent. (7/10)

Sound worked well, but could have been better. The important emotional climaxes were backed pretty decently, but the rest was just mediocre. Nothing worthy of praise on the voice acting either. (5/10)

Characters are obviously the strongest point here, and PlanetES shines in this department. Aside from some competely useless characters, mainly that idiot with the magic tricks, all characters are well fleshed out and receive a decent dosage of development throughout, Fee being the painful exception. I can't understand why Fee wasn't developed like the others.
All in all, a stronger plot could have made these great characters develop further (9/10).

I still liked the series, but I believe it could have been so much better, were it given a decent plot. It had a bunch of side stories and a poor excuse of a "final threat" near the end that just didn't do it justice. It was still well directed and it was pretty emotional on many episodes so I can't hate it.
Final score 7/10
ArcanusJun 12, 2010 6:38 PM
Jul 3, 2010 8:50 PM

May 2008
I was curious about this series and it turned out to be pretty good, I'm satisfied 8-10.
ClosedCXJul 3, 2010 8:55 PM
Jul 10, 2010 12:42 AM
Mar 2008
Loved it, came to this thread, and again its full of the manga purists. Totally ruined my good mood on finishing. I think we all got that manga>anime all the time always about 10 years ago, does it really nee to continue?
Jul 10, 2010 4:24 AM

Mar 2008
Bladin said:
Loved it, came to this thread, and again its full of the manga purists. Totally ruined my good mood on finishing. I think we all got that manga>anime all the time always about 10 years ago, does it really nee to continue?

Just to clarify, I did not read the manga. :)
My post is about the anime only.
Jul 15, 2010 11:55 PM

Mar 2009
8/10

A vey good anime, and one of the best OP i ever saw. i watch the last 10 episodes in one day.
Jul 18, 2010 12:35 AM

Sep 2008
Bladin said:

Ah, it's always like that. People will always have their "manga goggles" on when watching anime. Meh well, at any rate. Yup, finished this series a while ago, thought it was a amazing. Definitely one of my favorites. Came in here out of curiosity, and it figures that I would come across people bowing down to the manga version. Oh well, I just think it's a shame that they didn't enjoy the series as much as I did.
---

Hmm...
Jul 18, 2010 1:31 AM

Aug 2008
God, I am soooooo pissed! That was a horrible ending! The f*cker married her, impregnated her, and then left her (and his unborn child) behind! And now she gets to play the role of the "harbor" that waits for the "ship" to return home.

I'm obviously too much of a feminist to appreciate this. I mean, they were both happy in the end, so I should be happy for them right? No, no, I'm not. 'Cause once again it's a story about man's adventure, about men having dreams and being explorers and reaching new frontiers, and the women/wives they leave behind who are "okay" with it and play the role of whatever the man wants of them. Screw that crap. Hachi was willing to kill (would have succeeded in killing but failed due to luck) while Tanabe couldn't compromise her ideals in the end (showing she's the better person all around), Hachi comes to realizations and becomes the calmest man in the world, Hachi doesn't need to apologize, Hachi is easily forgiven, and Hachi still gets what he wants and Tanabe is relegated to the loyal wife. GRAGH!

God, I really want to drop the rating down, but it was so good up until the last few episodes. It's not worth the 9 it originally deserved though. Maybe an 8 if I'm feeling generous tomorrow.
Jul 19, 2010 7:30 AM

Sep 2008
willag said:
God, I am soooooo pissed! That was a horrible ending! The f*cker married her, impregnated her, and then left her (and his unborn child) behind! And now she gets to play the role of the "harbor" that waits for the "ship" to return home.

I'm obviously too much of a feminist to appreciate this. I mean, they were both happy in the end, so I should be happy for them right? No, no, I'm not. 'Cause once again it's a story about man's adventure, about men having dreams and being explorers and reaching new frontiers, and the women/wives they leave behind who are "okay" with it and play the role of whatever the man wants of them. Screw that crap. Hachi was willing to kill (would have succeeded in killing but failed due to luck) while Tanabe couldn't compromise her ideals in the end (showing she's the better person all around), Hachi comes to realizations and becomes the calmest man in the world, Hachi doesn't need to apologize, Hachi is easily forgiven, and Hachi still gets what he wants and Tanabe is relegated to the loyal wife. GRAGH!

God, I really want to drop the rating down, but it was so good up until the last few episodes. It's not worth the 9 it originally deserved though. Maybe an 8 if I'm feeling generous tomorrow.

>_>...
---

Hmm...
Jul 27, 2010 9:10 PM

Jun 2009
BlackCheese said:
willag said:

>_>...
lol

I have to wonder how you've made it through so many anime without realizing that the Japanese, as a culture, are just a tad bit sexist.
Aug 9, 2010 5:50 AM

Jun 2010
willag said:

omg...

btw. The story was really great, and final episod was one of the best. 10/10
Aug 18, 2010 9:11 PM

Jul 2009
When my friends decided we would watch Planetes, I'll admit I wasn't that excited. I was pleasantly surprised though...real science fiction, good character development, fair bit of romance. Decent show.

8/10
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

55 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 26, 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.