Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2008 10:16 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my gosh. I don't know what to say. Tanabe with no air, and Hoshino at the trigger of a gun, what has happened? The preview was very ominous, it didn't show either of the two main characters at all. I wasn't expecting such a tragic ending, though there are two episodes left. Let's hope for the best.
Sep 5, 2008 6:00 AM

Jan 2008
Gah, hope she makes it through.
Sep 10, 2008 7:41 PM
Sep 2007
That was intense. I don't expect bad ending though. And eh, Hakim still lives.
Oct 11, 2008 1:31 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, and thought the last episode had a huge cliffhanger.
Feb 16, 2009 8:25 AM
Sep 2008
man seeing tanabe going yandere made me emotianally confused, I really want her to survive. she's really againts the wall and the sword this time! give up on her morals, kill someone and survive or tighly follow her morals and die!! Though yeah she has plot armor so I bet both Tanabe and Claire will survive at the end :/
Apr 20, 2009 2:06 PM

Sep 2008
aero said:
Gah, hope she makes it through.

dont take it the wrong way but I'm so glad that in this ep she figures out "love" isn't everything.... This theme thats been going on from her was way to.. umm... crazy... something like that.

I'm half and half about her being alive or dead, but atleast she can change from this "love can solve every problem" crap...
Jan 4, 2010 9:00 PM

Feb 2009
NOOOOO tanabe!!!!!

fuck i can't believe that's what she's thinking, 'senpai didn't love me, he loved space' or w/e and if she dies like this, oh my f'ing god, i will hate hachimaki forever.

but if she takes claire's oxygen, oh man...i don't want her to do that either...
[url=http://www.squiby.net/level/4135737]
May 17, 2010 10:03 PM

Sep 2009
Well this was intense. Tanabe lost it....though I guess it's understandable when you're near death.
Aug 18, 2010 8:32 PM

Jul 2009
Crazy episode! Maybe Tanabe wouldn't have used up her oxygen so quickly if she hadn't given a speech...
Sep 11, 2010 3:26 PM

Feb 2009
Finaly! I hope Tanabe suffers a terrible death. AAHAHAHAHA!
She's been my least favorite character.
Sep 25, 2010 9:01 PM

Aug 2008
Clairseana said:
Crazy episode! Maybe Tanabe wouldn't have used up her oxygen so quickly if she hadn't given a speech...
good point. Shut up & move! But anyway, wow what a cliffhanger. This show does those kinds of things really well.
Oct 14, 2010 4:03 AM

Jun 2009
Nice episode
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Dec 13, 2010 4:59 AM

Jan 2009
I really hope Tanabe steals the Claires air tank and survives. Would be awesome. But I guess this Anime doesn't have the balls to do so.
Jan 21, 2011 5:49 PM

Sep 2008
Dang, the first episode that had my emotional levels up to like beyond max.
Tanabe was amazing on the moon and the music fit right in; I think I'm going to hate it when there is a happy ending with Hachi and Tanabe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2011 1:29 AM

Aug 2010
I'm thinking Tanabe as the same thing Hachi had while drifting in space.
Boy am i glad she finished those"love is...love is" sentences for once
Feb 25, 2011 2:32 PM
Dec 2010
Hey they really got me i wasn't sure if Tanabe was still alive and if he shot that dude or not ... well ... i cant tell more :p
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Apr 4, 2011 7:45 PM
Jul 2010
The choice to save Claire, the terrorist who uses violence despite lacking the intelligence to understand the horrible socio-political effects it will have on her cause, and lacking the morality to find it all unjust. Oh, and she's wounded. Taking her oxygen is a pretty clear survival choice.

Beyond that, Tanabe is a monumental idiot for jumping out into space in those conditions. If she had a working brain, she would have noticed that Claire was wearing the same outfit as the terrorist, and had earlier spouted their same vague idealogical nonsense. At the very least, Tanabe's suicidal rescue could have had a decent chance at success.
Sep 7, 2011 6:09 PM

Mar 2011
Hmmm...Tanabe lost her cool at the end there! But I guess I'd do the same if I was out of oxygen too!
Nov 27, 2011 3:26 PM

Jan 2009
danz said:
I really hope Tanabe steals the Claires air tank and survives. Would be awesome. But I guess this Anime doesn't have the balls to do so.

If she dies for her ideals, I would respect her character, otherwise I would only hate her more than I actually do
Mar 1, 2012 12:55 AM

Aug 2010
oh my
Jul 13, 2012 7:19 AM

Feb 2012
This must be the first time I'm actually hoping that a main character in a series dies, not that I've grown to care about any of the characters that much.

Regarding the politics, looks like they're now reaching for the communist utopia of Star Trek. Those themes had so much more potential and I'm not impressed with the way they were handled in the series. If only they had established the situation on Earth more clearly the motives could have been more credible. Now the "evil" council who wanted those who invested in space exploration to be the only ones to benefit has been coerced into sharing everything with the starving. While that's an admirable idea, the whole issue could have been handled much better. The parallel in today's world could be the question of how much rich America should share its resources and industry with poor African countries. The series makes it seem like there could be a simple and easy answer, a solution of just one council meeting. Now it's mostly a question of bad first world countries that hog all the resources and the victimised rest of the world.
Jul 24, 2012 12:49 PM

Jul 2011
Luthimal said:

Beyond that, Tanabe is a monumental idiot for jumping out into space in those conditions. If she had a working brain, she would have noticed that Claire was wearing the same outfit as the terrorist, and had earlier spouted their same vague idealogical nonsense.

Yes.

Feorg said:
This must be the first time I'm actually hoping that a main character in a series dies, not that I've grown to care about any of the characters that much.

This.
Nov 3, 2012 11:20 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, this episode. THIS EPISODE.

They're going to die on the Moon? wow, intense. Also, that soundtrack is angelic. Oxygen tank empty. Oh shi-
Dec 12, 2012 4:17 PM

Oct 2011
Dat ending... the song ruins the moment...
Jan 25, 2013 6:06 AM

May 2012
What an amazing cliffhanger! Really much happened in this episode lots of action and now I wonder what will happen!
Sep 7, 2013 6:23 AM

Nov 2008
I hate Hachirota.
Nov 21, 2013 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
HOW THE HECK ARE THEY GONNA END IT LIKE THAT!??!

I swear it's the same thing with Clannad AS and the dang upbeat ED while I'm crying. I've always felt that finding out your way of life or ideal was wrong or not what you expected was one of the most devastating things you could experience. This is happening to Tanabe and while her physical life is in danger! It was really well done by showing her facial expressions of terror and hopelessness at the end. The thoughts that if she hadn't believed in what she did that she could have been saved contributed to the intensity. Especially with PLANETES playing in the background, my goodness this was an incredible episode.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Dec 2, 2013 4:56 AM

Nov 2009
Oh my . . . Even Tanabe has gone insane now. Though it is kind of true, that Hachi never really did much of anything that would indicate that he loves her, though surprised that caused her to kind of . . . Break down.
Dec 30, 2013 3:52 PM

Jul 2008
The way the terrorist threat just ended was kind of anti-climatic, but that second half more than made up for it. I think my heart rate raised a little there at the end.

Apr 8, 2014 6:21 PM
Nov 2013
When push comes to shove one's morality is put to the test. Those love speeches are superficial. I think Tanabe has taken a glimpse of what the real world is like.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that Lucie didn't die. I hate women like that. Treating men like servants and eating out of your palm. While having superficial interests and tastes. Women like her can die and I know several like that exist in real life too; they can die as well. They are vain pieces of crap that think they deserve more than they are actually worth.
Aug 14, 2014 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES

This

is

WOHOWEE!!

YEAH
TIME TO FUCK SHIT UP IN YO LIVES

It doesn't MATTER who you are. Abandon everything you knew.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Holy god of merciful disdain.
Tanabe's character really makes running out of oxygen in space look VERY frightening. Satan Christ the Enlightened God of Nations. Psh. They must've been feeling really smug to think that they've found a use for those "useless" episodes they showed us at first. Hmmmmmmmm............
Oct 4, 2014 8:06 AM

Oct 2009
Fucking Hachimaki:
"I have the power to kill him"
*Doesn't kill him, Terrorist walks away"
"This time fo real"
*Gets his ass kicked, but manages to get the gun again*
"Ok, OK , this time its really for real"
I bet 5 bucks, he still wouldn't have killed him.

And now even Tanabe could die , but I bet she has more balls than Hachi, and actually do something, instead repeating it 100 times.

Fucking Hachimaki.
Gib [img] plz
Nov 14, 2015 6:32 AM

Nov 2013
And I don't believe for an instant that there's a human being in this world whose life is worthless.

Every single life is precious. Every one of them should be cherished!

But here you are, talking about how one life is valuable, while another isn't!

It doesn't make any sense to me!
inochi ga kurikaesu naraba nandomo kimi no moto e ...
... if life can be repeated, i'll go to you many times over
Jan 17, 2016 9:58 AM
May 2012
ilalang said:
And I don't believe for an instant that there's a human being in this world whose life is worthless.

Every single life is precious. Every one of them should be cherished!

But here you are, talking about how one life is valuable, while another isn't!

It doesn't make any sense to me!

I freaking hate this. If you think enough, not every life is precious. Maybe it's just me.
And facepalm at Tanabe this episode =_=
Apr 28, 2016 12:55 PM

Jul 2015
The end was amazing, i love how in a matter of second her whole speech is worthless, amazing !
Jun 29, 2016 6:17 AM

Mar 2015
What a disappointment that Claire hasnt died Σ(゚д゚lll)

I doubt Hachi will pull trigger.

What a best cliffhanger at the end!! Tanabe going psycho mode, haha.

3/5
Jul 2, 2016 5:23 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
The crashing of the Von Braun was averted by some means. I don't know what happened to stop the crash.

Tanabe escaped with claire in an escape pod but lands on the moon. The city is located 1200km away and the air will just suffice for 10 hours. Fun fact: The same scene happened in the manga, but there Hachimaki carried the guy they encountered in space with Fee (the astronaut trying to commit suicide because of his Leukemia).

Okay, let's do the math real quick.

1200km / 10 hours = 120km/h while carrying a person on your back. Seems pretty impossible to me. 1/6 of the gravity is no reason to make this sound more possible.

By the way. The moon has a radius of 1737km. How could the city be located 1200km away? Tanabe your navigation system is tricking you in a not optimal direction! Even if you land on the complete opposite of the moons surface the distance can be 1737km/2 = 868.5km at max. Will that calculation be more realistic?

868.6km / 10hours = 86.86km/h. Still pretty much impossible while carrying a person on your back unless your John Cena or something.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Jan 28, 2017 1:13 PM

Apr 2014
i really hate hachi....something about him is so revolting and irritating. the anime itself is fine but his character almost ruins it

oh no Ai :-( the things that can drive a person to go against their own beliefs....i really hope she doesn't steal Clair's tank, i'd rather she die
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2017 12:15 PM

Jun 2013
Okay, Tanabe made the second half entertaining.
Nov 19, 2018 8:31 AM

Sep 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that they agreed to the demands of the terrorists, at least on the surface, I mean, it's good for the populace if the profit is truly shared, but I doubt this is going to happen, and I really wanted to see Fee, Yuri, and Cheng-Shin saving those 120,000 lives, but well.

Hachimaki is still insufferable though, he thinks he is much better than Hakim, and he still doesn't care about anything as long as he is on this ship. The situation on Earth is worse than I thought too. Going to space, having a better technology, and getting a new source of energy didn't do much for the people, but you can't compare lives like this, who is he? Oberstein? But even though he has his motives, I don't see how avoiding space development is going to help, but then again, that's why the demand was to cancel that bill.

Poor Tanabe also realized at last that Hachimaki doesn't love her as she tried desperately to cling to her beliefs about love. She wasn't totally wrong, at least I don't want her to be, people deserve to live, and to find love, but she was almost snapping at the end with that life-and-death situation. I don't believe for a moment that she is going to kill Claire to keep herself alive, Fee, and Yuri are most certainly going to arrive to save them, but it's certainly a suspenseful cliffhanger.
Jun 13, 2019 5:30 PM

Feb 2012
The terrorists won and the bloodthirsty gurnts were left speechless
Crazy oxygen-deprived Tanabe is a sight to see.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 3, 2020 4:03 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Tanabe and Claire on the moon is absolutely heartbreaking, I don't know how they will do to survive...
Jul 16, 2020 2:27 PM
Jul 2013
Tanabe finally realizing things.
I have a feeling Fee and Yuri will come to their rescue, although I have no idea how.
Dec 11, 2020 12:15 PM

Jul 2017
The insanity continues and only gets worse, especially for Tanabe who realized how love really is worthless when saving someone and really, that idealistic nature is crumbling further and further when she looks at everything around her and that suicidal nature kicked in a bit by the end, especially given the lack of oxygen there now for them.
Feb 14, 2021 8:12 AM

Aug 2007
What a ride. Two more episodes left.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Apr 7, 2021 6:48 PM
Jan 2020
Damn hope Tanabe makes it, but sheis too nice Clare even confesed, not that it wasnt painfully clear since she was shot among other terrorists and with a gun in a ship she shouldnt have been in anyway and still is dead set in helping her.
Also Tanabe should have known running there carrying Claire would consume her O2 way faster
Apr 27, 2021 2:25 PM

Apr 2021
all i'm gonna say is this cliffhanger is really tough

i don't want her to die, but killing claire is... uh ;w; what is she gonna do?!
i wish i was a cloud
Aug 2, 2021 6:57 AM

Sep 2017
Damn this episode was so good. Particularly the last part with Tanabe and Claire. This exactly what I was hoping for with Tanabe. She really needed to be pushed like this.
Dec 19, 2021 2:24 PM

Nov 2016
Colin and Locksmith personify the fucked up system. Was still amusing to see the former in such a situation and the latter is simply based. Change my mind xD

Tanabe's naive love was challenged by space. I was almost sure that she would make it out, proving that her ideals are right(that's what you would see in a shounen at least) but wow. Ironic that she ended up in a similar situation to Hachi. When push comes to shove she's tempted to take the forceful egoistic way out.

I still think someone is going to come to save them.

P.S. At least Claire is regretting what she did and ready to pay the price.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2022 9:15 AM
Nov 2020
damn, this episode is heartbreaking.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

55 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 26, 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.