MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Games, Computers & Tech Support »» Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
03-15-12, 2:16 AM

Over on the Frictional forums the lead sound designer gave some insight on the quality of sound we shall expect from this game. It's pretty interesting especially for you audiophiles out there.
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13623.html

There is also a video of one of the Environmental Artists designing one of the rooms of the game.
http://www.wesleytack.com/?cat=16
Modified by FatherAnderson, 03-15-12, 2:19 AM

03-15-12, 1:34 PM

Amnesia is really the best horror game ever, imo :D Looking forward to this very much!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.

03-15-12, 1:39 PM

Penumbra and Amnesia made me shit myself, this probably won't be any different.
運命の子たち・果実

03-15-12, 4:36 PM

Couldn't finish the first, the felling of hopelessness is too big for me to bear.

08-25-13, 12:48 AM

It's set to be released on 10/9/13 or 9/10/13 for Americans

http://aamfp.com/

Anyone else excited?
(◡‿◡)
~ I fucked your pet ~

09-10-13, 8:03 AM

So the game came out? Any opinions?

So far I like it far more than the first game. Its far more subtle, grown up and atmospheric. NO longer relies on cheap jumpscares and the plot is actually great this time.

Incredibly surprised with this so far.

09-10-13, 8:22 AM

I'm definitely going to play it, but I'm really skeptical. I've played Chinese Room's Dear Esther before and while I loved the atmosphere and narrative, it was totally a different game from the first Amnesia. I've heard a lot of reviews about A Machine for Pigs losing too many of the fun elements and becoming more of a interactive movie like Dear Esther was. Hopefully it still has some of its original charm.

Either way, if it scares the shit out of me, I'll be content.

09-10-13, 10:19 AM

Verdale said:
I'm definitely going to play it, but I'm really skeptical. I've played Chinese Room's Dear Esther before and while I loved the atmosphere and narrative, it was totally a different game from the first Amnesia. I've heard a lot of reviews about A Machine for Pigs losing too many of the fun elements and becoming more of a interactive movie like Dear Esther was. Hopefully it still has some of its original charm.

Either way, if it scares the shit out of me, I'll be content.

They got rid of more bullshitty features like insanity system, inventory or need for oil and all of that makes sense.

Insanity system was a cheap way to hinder our progress and to pinpoint shit screaming at player "LOOK THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE SCARY, now plz get a vertigo and stop playing for a hour lest you vomit"

Inventory was immersion breaking, so actually having to carry objects around and interacting with them makes far more sense.

As for lantern Considering this is set in age where electricity is a thing, why would you need oil for electric lantern? And since there's no insanity system now, its the inversion of previous game - LIGHT now is the danger, because the monsters are attracted to it, so lantern becomes an actually sensible tradeoff between not seeing where to go OR using lantern and alerting monsters to where you are. But then again, if you do not use lantern, you will not be able to know where the monsters exactly are and will just feel them stalking you around the place, trying to find you.

Otherwise the only other big change is changing the tone of the game from "adrenaline based" jumpscary chase stuff, to more psychological kind of horror with unsettling atmosphere and corner-of-the-eye type of scares(as game has a lot of things that are hard to notice at first Since it no longer tells you WHEN to get scared, you might miss the scares or you might notice something miniscule and out of place and spend a hour thinking on "what the fuck".

Also story is way better (let's be frank, Dark Descent barely had any story and it fell apart near the end as the game tried to explain the lore) and the way its told is no longer just flashbacks+notes.

09-11-13, 5:54 AM

It's a watered down crap with no scares.

-No sanity
-Quickly regenerating health
-Electric lamp with unlimited juice which flashes when monsters are near
-No tinderbox
-No inventory
-Monsters are not scary and most of them are slow
-Shallow puzzles
-Not very dark, especially after Outlast
-Boring writing

And since Dear Esther developers got involved, there's suddenly no interactivity aswell... what a surprise! Those people are only good for environmental graphical design and that's it.

09-11-13, 8:30 AM

I agree with Lipi.

I'll just repost here what I wrote on steam about it.

Well, that was disappointing.
This game is nowhere nere as scary as A Dark Descent, the story is predictable, you can't interact with as many objects, there is no insanity mechanic you needn't collect oil or matches because you have an electric torch which never goes out but merely flickers whenever there is a monster nearby.
Futhermore it took me about 3h20m to finish the game which is roughly half as long as the prequel.

This game was just overall dissapointing and you can tell that it wasn't made by the same people who created the amazingly frightening Amnesia The Dark Descent.

Don't buy this game expecting a worthy sequel. I really regret preordering this game and would advise anybody NOT to buy this game.

09-11-13, 8:59 AM

Suffocate said:
Futhermore it took me about 3h20m to finish the game which is roughly half as long as the prequel.

I love how this game kept getting delayed from the initial release date on Halloween 2012. What the fuck were they doing all that time? Adding another hour to the 3-hour-long corridor?

09-11-13, 9:13 AM

Suffocate said:

This game is nowhere nere as scary as A Dark Descent, the story is predictable, you can't interact with as many objects, there is no insanity mechanic you needn't collect oil or matches because you have an electric torch which never goes out but merely flickers whenever there is a monster nearby.

Congrats on proving that you have not played the game, with the comment about interacting.

Insanity mechanic was annoying and it makes sense plot-wise on why its no longer there.

And yes, the game doe snot rely on cheap jumpscares anymore, boo hooo.

Outlast, Slender and other jumpscare crap is that way, good sir.

Lipi said:
It's a watered down crap with no scares.

You mean they have forsaken the cheap "click shit and get a jumpscare" stuff for actually genuine horror? OH gods~
Lipi said:

-No sanity

It makes sense since

Lipi said:

-Quickly regenerating health

Not exactly a problem since this is not a competitive or action game.
Lipi said:

-Electric lamp with unlimited juice which flashes when monsters are near
-No tinderbox

So they removed some of game-y immersion breaking distractions that impeded on your progress. How is that bad?

Also both make perfect sense story-wise.
Lipi said:

-No inventory

You still use items and carry items. You just no longer put them into an extra-dimensional backpack of oldschool adventure games. Seems like an improvement.
Lipi said:

-Monsters are not scary and most of them are slow

Monsters are scarier considering they are more original and the game has better atmosphere.
Frankly the first time I got a clear view of Dark Descent's monster, I laughed. Amnesia always worked the best with an unseen threat.

Seems quite good that they learned from their mistakes and moved away from cheap chase scenes that artificially induce adrenaline so you can mistake it for being scared.

I'd rather have highly terrifying and tense moments of feeling that there's someone with me in the level, than cheap chase-sequences with music shouting at me to be scared.
Lipi said:

-Shallow puzzles

Because being stuck at puzzles in game focused on retaining atmosphere is exactly what we need.
Lipi said:

-Not very dark, especially after Outlast
-Boring writing

Enjoys Outlast.
Calls Amnesia writing "boring".

I am sorry, but wait, what? as far as I remember Outlast did NOT HAVE A STORY, even.
Its a hospital simulator with slasher movie feel and barely cobbled together nonsensical story to justify you being there that does not go anywhere interesting or logical.

Lipi said:

And since Dear Esther developers got involved, there's suddenly no interactivity aswell... what a surprise! Those people are only good for environmental graphical design and that's it.

And now you are full of bullshit considering this game had far more interacting with environment than the previous one where most of interactions happened in your inventory.

09-11-13, 9:31 AM

I really don't understand people who are applauding devs for removing gameplay elements (that were far from being tedious in the first place) and putting more emphasis on story. Do they just want to watch a movie instead of playing a game? Maybe if someone produced like a 4-6 episode TV miniseries with similar themes and aesthetics, they'd stop playing games altogether? (Well, that's what The Walking Dead "game" is, now when I'm thinking about it.)

The asylum setting in Outlast appealed to me and yes, I like jumpscares. It wasn't very interesting story-wise though, I agree on that.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices