Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 23, 2012 3:00 AM

Feb 2010
http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/
Is anyone else excited about this game? It's actually an indirect sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent and not a DLC. It's scheduled to be released this fall.

The story for the game is:
The year is 1899. Wealthy industrialist Oswald Mandus has returned home from a disastrous expedition to Mexico, which has ended in tragedy. Wracked by fever, haunted by dreams of a dark machine, he recovers consciousness in his own bed, with no idea of how much time has passed since his last memory. As he struggles to his feet, somewhere beneath him, a engine splutters, coughs, roars into life...

It's going to be developed by thechineseroom which is a relatively unknown company outside the Half-Life 2 mod community. All their projects have been good though. Let's hope they keep it up.

There's not much information on it at the moment but the ARG was interesting. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of scares in store for us.

EDIT: New Stuff

Here's a peak at the Environmental Artist designing a room for the game.

You can also chat with the lead sound designer on the Frictional forums.
Amnesia A Machine for Pigs sound design
FatherAndersonMar 15, 2012 2:29 AM
Feb 23, 2012 3:44 AM

Nov 2009
Nice, this is a kind of continuation then of sorts?

I loved the original and still laugh at the fact my friend is too much of a wimp to play it XD;

Busy playing through White Night at the moment and it's a real creepfest too lol.
Feb 23, 2012 4:05 AM

Jun 2007
It has quite a bit to live up to.
Feb 23, 2012 10:39 AM

Nov 2011
I'm looking forward to it, I liked the original game.

I know this is supposed to scare, but when the game messes around with the camera movement slowing it down to almost a crawl it annoys me, I hope they tone that down a little in the new game.
Feb 23, 2012 11:51 AM

Dec 2010
I would if I didn't shit myself during the original Amnesia...

._.
Feb 23, 2012 11:59 AM

Feb 2010
Riptos said:
Nice, this is a kind of continuation then of sorts?.

I don't believe so. As Dan Pinchback (A writer involved with Machine of Pigs) said
"It's not a direct sequel, in terms of it doesn't follow on from the story of Amnesia. It doesn't involve the same characters".
So the game is going to be set in an alternate history in the same universe.
It should still have the same elements as The Dark Descent though so it will be fine.

skullblade169 said:
I'm looking forward to it, I liked the original game.

I know this is supposed to scare, but when the game messes around with the camera movement slowing it down to almost a crawl it annoys me, I hope they tone that down a little in the new game.

Well they said that it won't have a lot of the same mechanics as The Dark Descent and that they are adding brand new mechanics to keep the game fresh.
FatherAndersonFeb 23, 2012 12:08 PM
Feb 23, 2012 12:10 PM

Jun 2008
A machine for pigs... that just sounds so lame.

I know, I'm not judging a book by its cover, but still. It sounds so lame...
Feb 23, 2012 1:11 PM

Jan 2011
Tachii said:
A machine for pigs... that just sounds so lame.

I know, I'm not judging a book by its cover, but still. It sounds so lame...

If you'd been following the viral marketing you'd have come across this: "THIS WORLD IS A MACHINE. A MACHINE FOR PIGS. FIT ONLY FOR THE SLAUGHTERING OF PIGS."

The game is named as a metaphor.
Like lambs to the slaughter, but pigs. That's what the players are, that's what the character is, that's what everyone is.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Feb 24, 2012 12:50 AM

Feb 2012
Original was awesome, looking forward to new game!
Feb 24, 2012 2:41 PM

Feb 2012
Hope its better than the first game!
Feb 24, 2012 3:13 PM

Feb 2010
smackdown said:

Lol what? Did the first game not have enough ecchi for you or something?
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the best horror games ever made. So I don't know what you're talking about
Feb 24, 2012 7:17 PM

Feb 2010
FatherAnderson said:
smackdown said:
Did the first game not have enough ecchi for you or something?

More naked old men?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2012 7:26 PM

Nov 2011
Excited for it.
I wonder if this is going to have a more kind of gory horror feel to it.
I mean Just hearing the title "A Machine for Pigs" I feel like their is some sort of slaughtering going on! Either way this is good news and I am certainly excited!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 24, 2012 9:38 PM

Feb 2010
MelbShaw said:

More naked old men?

Indeed.
All the topic's he has made have related to ecchi in one way or another. So I just took a wild guess.
Ragix said:
Excited for it.
I wonder if this is going to have a more kind of gory horror feel to it.
I mean Just hearing the title "A Machine for Pigs" I feel like their is some sort of slaughtering going on! Either way this is good news and I am certainly excited!

I would believe so. The first concept art we got was of a dismembered corpse in a hallway filled with The Shadow's goo.
Feb 24, 2012 11:42 PM

Mar 2009
FatherAnderson said:
smackdown said:

Lol what? Did the first game not have enough ecchi for you or something?
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the best horror games ever made. So I don't know what you're talking about

Maybe he's saying he wants the second game to be even better than the amazing first game. If that isn't what he means, then, yeah, WTF.

Amnesia was a breath of fresh air compared to the cheap scare tactics that plague most "horror" games. Atmospheric, genuinely horrifying, and mysterious - really great game overall.

Frankly, it scared the shit out of me, and kept me up for nights. I'm looking forward to doing it all over again when this one is released. =)
Feb 25, 2012 12:02 AM

Jun 2009
Legendre said:
I would if I didn't shit myself during the original Amnesia...

._.

I feel you, man... I stopped when I realized that it was having lasting effects on me, making me jumpy even when not playing.

Being chased by a shadow was bad enough. Being chased by a machine? And a title that makes me think of slaughterhouses? No thanks.
Feb 25, 2012 12:34 AM

Jan 2012
I'm so scared to play it.
;u;
Geez. I'd be to scared to do anything xD

But Its cool that they're making an indirect sequel
Feb 25, 2012 3:48 AM

Nov 2010
Looking forward to this! I'm surprised I managed to beat Amnesia a few weeks ago. It took me almost a month to beat it though XD. I still need to play Justine~
"Oh, you want some too?"
Feb 25, 2012 5:28 AM

Jan 2011
Steveori said:
Looking forward to this! I'm surprised I managed to beat Amnesia a few weeks ago. It took me almost a month to beat it though XD. I still need to play Justine~

Justine is in my opinion even better than the regular game.
Story wise and gameplay wise. And the fact that you can't save makes it so much more intense.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Feb 25, 2012 11:16 AM

Feb 2010
Vinter said:

Justine is in my opinion even better than the regular game.
Story wise and gameplay wise. And the fact that you can't save makes it so much more intense.

I completely agree. I also found the suitors to be a lot scarier than grunts for some reason.
Mar 15, 2012 2:16 AM

Feb 2010
Over on the Frictional forums the lead sound designer gave some insight on the quality of sound we shall expect from this game. It's pretty interesting especially for you audiophiles out there.
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13623.html

There is also a video of one of the Environmental Artists designing one of the rooms of the game.
http://www.wesleytack.com/?cat=16
FatherAndersonMar 15, 2012 2:19 AM
Mar 15, 2012 1:34 PM

Feb 2012
Amnesia is really the best horror game ever, imo :D Looking forward to this very much!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2012 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
Penumbra and Amnesia made me shit myself, this probably won't be any different.
Mar 15, 2012 4:36 PM

Jan 2011
Couldn't finish the first, the felling of hopelessness is too big for me to bear.
Aug 25, 2013 12:48 AM

Dec 2012
It's set to be released on 10/9/13 or 9/10/13 for Americans

http://aamfp.com/

Anyone else excited?

Sep 10, 2013 8:03 AM

Jul 2007
So the game came out? Any opinions?

So far I like it far more than the first game. Its far more subtle, grown up and atmospheric. NO longer relies on cheap jumpscares and the plot is actually great this time.

Incredibly surprised with this so far.
Sep 10, 2013 8:22 AM

Jul 2011
I'm definitely going to play it, but I'm really skeptical. I've played Chinese Room's Dear Esther before and while I loved the atmosphere and narrative, it was totally a different game from the first Amnesia. I've heard a lot of reviews about A Machine for Pigs losing too many of the fun elements and becoming more of a interactive movie like Dear Esther was. Hopefully it still has some of its original charm.

Either way, if it scares the shit out of me, I'll be content.
Sep 10, 2013 10:19 AM

Jul 2007
Verdale said:
I'm definitely going to play it, but I'm really skeptical. I've played Chinese Room's Dear Esther before and while I loved the atmosphere and narrative, it was totally a different game from the first Amnesia. I've heard a lot of reviews about A Machine for Pigs losing too many of the fun elements and becoming more of a interactive movie like Dear Esther was. Hopefully it still has some of its original charm.

Either way, if it scares the shit out of me, I'll be content.

They got rid of more bullshitty features like insanity system, inventory or need for oil and all of that makes sense.

Insanity system was a cheap way to hinder our progress and to pinpoint shit screaming at player "LOOK THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE SCARY, now plz get a vertigo and stop playing for a hour lest you vomit"

Inventory was immersion breaking, so actually having to carry objects around and interacting with them makes far more sense.

As for lantern Considering this is set in age where electricity is a thing, why would you need oil for electric lantern? And since there's no insanity system now, its the inversion of previous game - LIGHT now is the danger, because the monsters are attracted to it, so lantern becomes an actually sensible tradeoff between not seeing where to go OR using lantern and alerting monsters to where you are. But then again, if you do not use lantern, you will not be able to know where the monsters exactly are and will just feel them stalking you around the place, trying to find you.

Otherwise the only other big change is changing the tone of the game from "adrenaline based" jumpscary chase stuff, to more psychological kind of horror with unsettling atmosphere and corner-of-the-eye type of scares(as game has a lot of things that are hard to notice at first Since it no longer tells you WHEN to get scared, you might miss the scares or you might notice something miniscule and out of place and spend a hour thinking on "what the fuck".

Also story is way better (let's be frank, Dark Descent barely had any story and it fell apart near the end as the game tried to explain the lore) and the way its told is no longer just flashbacks+notes.
Sep 11, 2013 5:54 AM

Oct 2011
It's a watered down crap with no scares.

-No sanity
-Quickly regenerating health
-Electric lamp with unlimited juice which flashes when monsters are near
-No tinderbox
-No inventory
-Monsters are not scary and most of them are slow
-Shallow puzzles
-Not very dark, especially after Outlast
-Boring writing

And since Dear Esther developers got involved, there's suddenly no interactivity aswell... what a surprise! Those people are only good for environmental graphical design and that's it.
Sep 11, 2013 8:30 AM

May 2011
I agree with Lipi.

I'll just repost here what I wrote on steam about it.

Well, that was disappointing.
This game is nowhere nere as scary as A Dark Descent, the story is predictable, you can't interact with as many objects, there is no insanity mechanic you needn't collect oil or matches because you have an electric torch which never goes out but merely flickers whenever there is a monster nearby.
Futhermore it took me about 3h20m to finish the game which is roughly half as long as the prequel.

This game was just overall dissapointing and you can tell that it wasn't made by the same people who created the amazingly frightening Amnesia The Dark Descent.

Don't buy this game expecting a worthy sequel. I really regret preordering this game and would advise anybody NOT to buy this game.
Sep 11, 2013 8:59 AM

Oct 2011
Suffocate said:
Futhermore it took me about 3h20m to finish the game which is roughly half as long as the prequel.

I love how this game kept getting delayed from the initial release date on Halloween 2012. What the fuck were they doing all that time? Adding another hour to the 3-hour-long corridor?
Sep 11, 2013 9:13 AM

Jul 2007
Suffocate said:

This game is nowhere nere as scary as A Dark Descent, the story is predictable, you can't interact with as many objects, there is no insanity mechanic you needn't collect oil or matches because you have an electric torch which never goes out but merely flickers whenever there is a monster nearby.

Congrats on proving that you have not played the game, with the comment about interacting.

Insanity mechanic was annoying and it makes sense plot-wise on why its no longer there.

And yes, the game doe snot rely on cheap jumpscares anymore, boo hooo.

Outlast, Slender and other jumpscare crap is that way, good sir.

Lipi said:
It's a watered down crap with no scares.

You mean they have forsaken the cheap "click shit and get a jumpscare" stuff for actually genuine horror? OH gods~
Lipi said:

-No sanity

It makes sense since

Lipi said:

-Quickly regenerating health

Not exactly a problem since this is not a competitive or action game.
Lipi said:

-Electric lamp with unlimited juice which flashes when monsters are near
-No tinderbox

So they removed some of game-y immersion breaking distractions that impeded on your progress. How is that bad?

Also both make perfect sense story-wise.
Lipi said:

-No inventory

You still use items and carry items. You just no longer put them into an extra-dimensional backpack of oldschool adventure games. Seems like an improvement.
Lipi said:

-Monsters are not scary and most of them are slow

Monsters are scarier considering they are more original and the game has better atmosphere.
Frankly the first time I got a clear view of Dark Descent's monster, I laughed. Amnesia always worked the best with an unseen threat.

Seems quite good that they learned from their mistakes and moved away from cheap chase scenes that artificially induce adrenaline so you can mistake it for being scared.

I'd rather have highly terrifying and tense moments of feeling that there's someone with me in the level, than cheap chase-sequences with music shouting at me to be scared.
Lipi said:

-Shallow puzzles

Because being stuck at puzzles in game focused on retaining atmosphere is exactly what we need.
Lipi said:

-Not very dark, especially after Outlast
-Boring writing

Enjoys Outlast.
Calls Amnesia writing "boring".

I am sorry, but wait, what? as far as I remember Outlast did NOT HAVE A STORY, even.
Its a hospital simulator with slasher movie feel and barely cobbled together nonsensical story to justify you being there that does not go anywhere interesting or logical.

Lipi said:

And since Dear Esther developers got involved, there's suddenly no interactivity aswell... what a surprise! Those people are only good for environmental graphical design and that's it.

And now you are full of bullshit considering this game had far more interacting with environment than the previous one where most of interactions happened in your inventory.
Sep 11, 2013 9:31 AM

Oct 2011
I really don't understand people who are applauding devs for removing gameplay elements (that were far from being tedious in the first place) and putting more emphasis on story. Do they just want to watch a movie instead of playing a game? Maybe if someone produced like a 4-6 episode TV miniseries with similar themes and aesthetics, they'd stop playing games altogether? (Well, that's what The Walking Dead "game" is, now when I'm thinking about it.)

The asylum setting in Outlast appealed to me and yes, I like jumpscares. It wasn't very interesting story-wise though, I agree on that.

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
3 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

45 by RobertsahDHDA »»
5 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 7 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
5 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
9 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
Today, 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.