Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2008 1:25 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was an emotional roller coaster. I'm also confused as hell. Not sure exactly what's happening with the SDA and the Von Braum. At least Hoshi and Tanabe have met up again, though I really hope he gets off his dream boat, it seems to be destroying everything else in his life.
Sep 5, 2008 5:15 AM

Jan 2008
seita said:
though I really hope he gets off his dream boat, it seems to be destroying everything else in his life.
Everything around him is going wrong because of that ship and he ends up venting his anger at Tanabe, poor girl.
Feb 16, 2009 8:17 AM
Sep 2008
Noooooooooooo wakamoto-sensei! Also poor tanabe, though I still want them both to be together but hachi's not helping at all.
May 17, 2010 9:12 PM

Sep 2009
Hachi just needs a little help. For a second, I was afraid he was going to accidentally hit Tanabe.
Sep 11, 2010 2:31 PM

Feb 2009
The upbeat ED never fails to amuse me in contrast with the development in each episode.
Also, I don't want the terorists to blow up Von Braun :( - that's not a spoiler, I don't know if it's actually going to happen.
Oct 13, 2010 8:08 PM

Jun 2009
Mr. Lonely that's all I can say.

Fighting with his sub-conscious, real world - real humans

The Op and Ed ftw
ZinvyOct 13, 2010 8:11 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Dec 12, 2010 8:55 AM

Jan 2009
lol Hakim managed to escape.
Jan 23, 2011 11:59 PM

Aug 2010
danz said:
I wonder what he is planning with his girlfriend now??
Sep 6, 2011 8:38 PM

Mar 2011
Things are definitely not going to go to plan!
Feb 29, 2012 8:43 AM

Aug 2010
Hang in there Tanabe
Jul 24, 2012 11:02 AM

Jul 2011
Hoshi's not the kind of person that can deal with being alone. He'd go mad. No way will he last seven years. Of course, this isn't helped by the handful of humans that he knows - it's only adding to his stress.
Jan 1, 2013 2:41 AM

Jul 2009
Oh big fucking deal. So she kept a secret about a guy requested from that guy. Jeez.
Jan 11, 2013 5:06 PM

Dec 2007
How did we reach this point? It doesn't seem so long ago that I was laughing at the antics of the Debris Section, who could turn a potential terrorist attack into an amusing situation. Now we have death, racism, damning social issues, looming catastrophic terrorist actions, and numerous characters falling to pieces from the fractures of stress.

It is a testament to this series quality that such tension evolved naturally, but I don't think anyone enjoyed this section of the series. I have to believe that this series will have a happy ending, but for the life of me, I cannot see how they are going to get there at this darkest point.
BdiahSep 17, 2017 8:35 AM
Jan 25, 2013 5:22 AM

May 2012
Damn nice episode, especially the ending, that Claire was hooking up was quite obvious but yea still probably shocking for him... Either way great and intense episode!
Dec 1, 2013 9:59 PM

Nov 2009
oh man . . . I'm praying to GOD at this point he doesn't do something stupid . . . although too be honest, I really don't get what brought about this change of thinking in him, is he still insane from when he got stranded in space?
Apr 7, 2014 1:35 PM
Nov 2013
Hachimaki has no idea what real pain and loneliness is. He's being a little self-centered and doesn't know what he's got. But I guess with the sequence of events to hit him in the face like that he was bound to crumble.
May 2, 2014 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
I'm confused. It's like I missed so many things..like what happened to the ninjas???

poor Tanabe.
Jun 13, 2014 11:09 AM

Apr 2012
I feel bad for Tanabe :
Hachi lost his gourd.

Oct 2, 2014 1:04 PM

Oct 2009
Till now I though Hachimaki was only half-retarded. Now I know he is full retard.
Gib [img] plz
Dec 30, 2014 2:59 AM
Nov 2014
Axlicious said:
I'm confused. It's like I missed so many things..like what happened to the ninjas???

They blown up in the Von Braum accident.
R.I.P ninjas...
Sep 12, 2015 6:01 AM

Nov 2013
Space is such a cold place...

And it's cruel. And it's heartless.

But we fall in love with her, anyway.

Like a pure-hearted boy falling for a bad girl.

I guess this is what they mean by loving something, warts and all.

HA!
inochi ga kurikaesu naraba nandomo kimi no moto e ...
... if life can be repeated, i'll go to you many times over
Jan 17, 2016 6:20 AM
May 2012
Man, this episode was sad.
Fuck, but things would have been much better if Hachimaki hadn't overcome that spatial disorder something.
Apr 28, 2016 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
tery999 said:
Till now I though Hachimaki was only half-retarded. Now I know he is full retard.

Exactly, it is so hard to watch this since he changed a few episode back...
Jun 29, 2016 2:50 AM

Mar 2015
Did the Ninjas died? What?

2.9/5
Jul 1, 2016 4:45 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Hachimaki has lost two friends who he thought were geing with him to Jupiter. Chieng-Shin was filtered out because his behaviour changed and Hakim was filtered out because he is a terrorist. Later Hachimaki wants to visit his old sensei Gigalt. But the only thing he finds is his last will because he died of cancer already.

Is hee still determined to go to Jupiter? Or is he rejoining the debris squad?
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Aug 19, 2016 11:36 PM

Nov 2014
ExoticBankai said:
tery999 said:

Exactly, it is so hard to watch this since he changed a few episode back...

My thoughts exactly.
Jan 15, 2017 7:51 PM

Apr 2014
poor Gigalt :-(

okay wtf is going on with this show? suddenly all characters are going to shit and becoming depressed. the only characters that are still the same are Fee and some other debris members

ah so the ninjas did die after all... pretty dark ending for such silly characters

i'm really fed up with Hachi....even Ai is still cheerful and optimistic and dealing with his crap. fuck him for trying to make her feel guilty when he didn't even try to communicate with her, how could she tell him? why is she the one apologizing? this is bs. i dont care if Hachi becomes some sort of hero or amazing person after all this, his actions right now are shit. i really hope there's a Hachi hate club because i'm joining it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2017 12:29 AM

Jun 2016
You could cut the melodrama in the air with a knife.
Aug 7, 2017 10:41 AM

Jun 2013
Drunk Edel was the only good part of the episode.

Alright, fine... the scene where Hachimaki was watching Gigalt's goodbye message was also pretty good (if you ignored Hachimaki).

danz said:

Haha hiding in the unlit room and when Claire walks in he's like "ay bby"
LeeTailorAug 7, 2017 10:45 AM
Mar 3, 2018 11:10 PM

Sep 2015
packet said:
The upbeat ED never fails to amuse me in contrast with the development in each episode.
This show would greatly benefit from a separate "crisis" ED, much like what Saki had.
Aug 19, 2018 12:42 AM

May 2015
Now that's how you end an episode.
Nov 18, 2018 3:55 AM

Sep 2011
Poor Cheng-Shin, the two people he thought were his friends in fact hated/resented him all along. At least Claire's resentment doesn't feel as petty as the one Hachimaki feels, but it's still sad. Even his work was affected, because somehow what Hachimaki said really got to him; and also, Claire and Hakim were getting closer to each other, but when the tests started they distanced themselves so I thought that I was wrong about them, but they do feel something for each other, I wonder if she is really going to cover for him. It's kinda sad that he was a terrorist all along, Gigalt had to depart this world knowing this too.

But well, Hachimaki is as insufferable as ever this time again. "pEoPlE aRe AlL aLoNe", or something. He thinks he is too good to care or share, the condescending way he talked down to that ninja survivor, saying that he doesn't expect "anything better" from people; and the way he blamed Tanabe for not telling him about his teacher's condition after treating her as if she were insignificant all this time, it was all so vexing. Cheng-Shin is right, even passing the so glorified test he is still a failure as a human being.

Gigalt's last message was awful too, "every ship needs a harbor"; so is a woman, in this case Tanabe, supposed to wait at home like a pet, always keeping it attractive so that her so 'special' husband can go back to it whenever he feels like it? This feels so retrograde, and wrong, it's better if the two of them journey together until they feel satisfied or something, but as I said, Hachimaki thinks he is too good to care or share his feelings, he is "fine" being alone.
Mar 29, 2019 1:26 PM
Oct 2018
sorry tanabe, senpai has a cock stuck up his ass
Jun 13, 2019 5:26 PM

Feb 2012
I laughed so loud when I watched this back in the 2000s in English when the upbeat music came on after talk about cancer.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 18, 2019 2:29 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was quite the emotional rollercoaster!

Hachi’s lost his Sensei now but is unable to find solace in his final teaching resulting in him seemingly lashing out at Tanabe. Tanabe’s been such an angel since the first few episodes but I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole fiasco becomes overwhelming for her. Hachi’s fears are still around and it doesn’t seem like it’s goijg anywhere for the time being, things are definitely heading down to a climax now!

Meanwhile, got to feel bad for Cheng-Shin. Apparently, Claire always hated him and now he gets dropped yikes. On the other hand, it seems as though Claire and her supposed ‘boyfriend’ are up to no good, things are definitely not going to end well for the two of them. Edel was bloody cool and caring this episode too, great to see! Nono’s bit in the next episode preview doesn’t seem very bright I’ve to say, hopefully I’m wrong on this though.

Amazing how just earlier it seemed like things were too normal but all of a sudden all these philosophies and issues have come hand in hand so naturally.

Anyway, looking forward to the final four episodes! It’s been one heck of a ride so far and here’s to hoping things end up on the bright side of things.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 16, 2020 10:40 PM

Feb 2020
I really feel bad for tanabe,hachi’s being a self righteous dick and only thinks bad things happen to him and That he does no wrong, it’s kinda hard to watch him be so selfish and fuckin tanabe is about to forgive him. I’m gonna be real upset... at least this show evokes emotion

Jul 3, 2020 3:06 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hachi is becoming totally insane and don't really get why but he definitely need to recover his mind and be nicer toward tanabe...
Jul 5, 2020 2:46 PM
Jul 2013
I think I can now safely say that's a good old anime.
It hurts to admit, but I see a bit of Hachi in me.
Oct 31, 2020 2:03 AM
Feb 2018
everyone is so proud of hachi, but hachi be like "i dont like human"
wtf lol

he has no sad backstories like other anime characters,
he has complete families, a girlfriend, a job, non-racism life (racism like claire and hakim), a great teacher, great friends, and etc, but how can he turn like that?????????????

i just cant understand
Dec 11, 2020 11:30 AM

Jul 2017
Just shows you that Hachimaki truly never did recover completely after having spatial loss disorder when he was stuck alone and adrift in the middle of a solar flare. The Von Braun was a mere distraction for him to run away to, and once that was taken away, he's back in square one and maybe even zero given how he's had to trust people that took part in bombing projects like Hakim or have his instructor/mentor die out on him with cancer and have the person he loved hide it from him, although he frankly was breaking down from the test portion itself. He was trying so hard to run away from reality and the disorder he had with that distraction that he shut himself up from his peers and his own girlfriend and started having visions of himself doubting him and insulting him consistently. Pretty heavy episode as a whole, and it shows that the actual rehab for that condition was just a hoax in my opinion or not well done enough, which is obvious since the amount of time he took to get back in the field was abnormally quick and that gave suspicions to me about whether the show did a shitty job with the story or if he truly never healed.
Apr 27, 2021 12:27 PM

Apr 2021
man i really feel hachi now, we've been there

i hope he gets better and gets along with everyone again

i don't want him to be a loner, he's too awesome

also, i just love edel, oof~
i wish i was a cloud
May 20, 2021 12:31 PM
Mar 2021
Fayrin said:
Poor Cheng-Shin, the two people he thought were his friends in fact hated/resented him all along. At least Claire's resentment doesn't feel as petty as the one Hachimaki feels, but it's still sad. Even his work was affected, because somehow what Hachimaki said really got to him; and also, Claire and Hakim were getting closer to each other, but when the tests started they distanced themselves so I thought that I was wrong about them, but they do feel something for each other, I wonder if she is really going to cover for him. It's kinda sad that he was a terrorist all along, Gigalt had to depart this world knowing this too.

But well, Hachimaki is as insufferable as ever this time again. "pEoPlE aRe AlL aLoNe", or something. He thinks he is too good to care or share, the condescending way he talked down to that ninja survivor, saying that he doesn't expect "anything better" from people; and the way he blamed Tanabe for not telling him about his teacher's condition after treating her as if she were insignificant all this time, it was all so vexing. Cheng-Shin is right, even passing the so glorified test he is still a failure as a human being.

Gigalt's last message was awful too, "every ship needs a harbor"; so is a woman, in this case Tanabe, supposed to wait at home like a pet, always keeping it attractive so that her so 'special' husband can go back to it whenever he feels like it? This feels so retrograde, and wrong, it's better if the two of them journey together until they feel satisfied or something, but as I said, Hachimaki thinks he is too good to care or share his feelings, he is "fine" being alone.

Mate, I think I agree with everyone of your takes in these discussion threads. Especially on the harbor/loneliness topics,
Dec 18, 2021 6:20 PM

Nov 2016
Gigalt having to take bad news even on his deathbed. However, he didn't seem that concerned. The fucking nickname, tho...

Debris Section being Debris Section was a funny highlight in this otherwise heavy episode. Like damn, the ending hit hard.

And things only get worse. First Hachi lost Hakim, now he feels like Tanabe betrayed him too. He has gone too far to be able to see outside of his narrow view. Tanabe is probably gonna make him realize that he won't feel lonely when he's sharing his dreams with others. Man, looking forward to see how this situation will get resolved.
FMmatronDec 19, 2021 6:56 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2022 9:25 AM
Nov 2020
"I've got one last lesson to teach you. It's very important. Every ship needs a home port. A port that will always be there waiting for them, and will take them in when they finally arrive. A warm safe place, remember that." - Gigalt Gangaragash
Aug 30, 2023 9:46 PM

Mar 2007
Such a sad episode as things are coming to a head.

Gigalt's advice to Hoshino seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Apparently his pain at losing his mentor is overshadowing any concern he has for Tanabe, who clearly still loves him. Poor girl.

Finding out all the ninjas got killed in the first Von Braun explosion was pretty depressing too.
Mar 27, 5:55 AM

Dec 2022
Bunch of annoying characters here. Hakin and Claire in particular are unrelentingly preachy and self-righteous, despite having the most backwards mindset of the entire cast, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if the anime didn't try and frame their retarded mentality as sympathetic.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

55 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 26, 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.