Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 20, 2012 10:20 PM
Feb 2012
Queen_Stars said:
mrsticky005 said:
The problem with some of the 1999 fans is that they got things backwards.

They think this 2011 version fails to live up to the 1999 version.

No. No. No.

The 1999 version is the one that fails to stay true to the manga.

It doesn't matter which you LIKE better. That's just your opinion.
But the fact remains, the 2011 version IS more true to the manga.

There are of course parts in the 2011 that differ from the manga
but most of them are due to censoring which was also in the early
episodes of the 1999 version and in case you didn't notice the
2011 version has eased up on the censoring. It probably won't
be as violent as the manga is but neither was the 1999 version...
EVEN at it's most violent the 1999 is not as violent as the manga.

Seriously...the manga is BRUTAL.

But the point still stands that the 2011 version is more true to the manga.
People often complain about the color scheme and the background music
and I imagine many of these people are fans of the 1999 version.
However it is important to remember that the color scheme and music
is what the 1999 director interpreted Hunter x Hunter as.
The 2011 version is simply a different interpretation of color scheme
and music and neither one is necessarily right or wrong. Again,
it's how the director interprets it. Remember folks that manga
is in black and white and without sound.

If you don't get all that then at least get this. This 2011 version was never
meant to be the 1999 version. If you want the 1999 version then watch that.
The 2011 version is meant to be like the manga. So if you must complain,
complain when it fails to live up to the manga. That's what I do.
But thankfully I actually don't have to do it often.

as for the episode itself...

LOVED IT.

There's no particular problem with 'some' of the '99 fan base - no different from 'some' zealous members of the 2011 crowd.
If people prefer the '99 version and don't feel this is a match, that's there decision; they don't have to appreciate this because it's a more accurate adaptation of the original story - there are those who aren't into manga full stop.

I never said they had to like the 2011 series.
I'm saying the 2011 series isn't meant to be the 1999 series.
It's meant to be like the manga. The 2011 series is more
accurate to the manga than the 1999 series is.

So when you complain that this or that scene wasn't like the 1999 series
it's really pointless and stupid because it wasn't supposed to be like the 1999
series.

For example people complain about the lack of Hisoka vs Kurapica
even though the fight virtually does not exist in the manga.
That is pointless bickering since it was never supposed to happen
anyways. The 1999 series was the one that messed up by
having an episode dedicated to that fight...in the wrong order.

some zealous 1999 fans are of course free to their own opinion
but what they don't seem to get is the 2011 series was NOT
aimed at their demographic. You know what was? The 1999
series. The 2011 series is for those of us who are manga
fans that wanted a more accurate Hunter x Hunter.
Feb 20, 2012 10:35 PM
Feb 2012
ankifeather said:
SeraSera said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
ankifeather said:
HunterxHunter 2011 ratings is around 3-5%, which is only average at best.
Its DVD sales, however, have been absymal, which leaves me worried about its future.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-02-04/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-january-23-29

It typically reaches the top 10. I don't think it has fallen below a 3.8% since the series first hit 4%. That means it's doing better than literally every other anime series that started in the Fall and Winter. Though I don't know anything about the DVD sales.

Hunter x Hunter isn't a show that starts off somber and melancholy and dark, but rather one that becomes these things in the middle of its first major arc. It's supposed to be "fun"--look at Togashi's chapter cover pages and volume covers in the beginning of the series: they're cutesy and "childish." Even the art in the manga could be considered as such. But the tone of the series itself changes once Gon sets out into the real world. Despite Togashi's propensity to draw "cute" characters, they often do very serious and grave things. The action is brutal and violent.

The only people criticizing the tone of the 2011 series are the ones who are either ignorant to the tone of the manga or those who prefer the 1999 series' as the definitive Hunter x Hunter--even more definitive than the manga upon which the show was based.

You only compare anime ratings of the same timeslot and channel type to tell whether its good. Many anime airs on late-night timeslot or TX which is not nationally broadcasted like HxH's NTV, but in certain cities only. For these animes, DVD/merchandising sale matters more than ratings, as it will rarely be above 2%. Anime of similar timeslot/channel type to HxH are Onepiece and Toriko which are currently 9-11% and 6-8% respectively. Of course these two have been around longer so their ratings are higher, which is why I didn't say HxH ratings are bad , but average. But NTV has never shown anime in the Hxh timeslot before,while previous variety show can gain a 7+% rating easily, so unless HxH grow to 7% rating by the end of the scheduled 45+ episode, NTV may very well return to variety shows. There's still hope to achieve that since the 1999 version on Fuji averaged 9% ratings.

The by age/gender breakdown ratings of HxH shows that the majority of HxH viewers are 35+ yr old males (4.3 rating), and is weakest in the "Kid"( 1.2 rating) and "20-34 yr-old Male" (0.4 rating) categories. Thus, Madhouse attempt to appeal to Kids isn't quite working yet, have to do something about the 20-34 yr old as they are big market for DVD and currently are relying on the older audience, who unfortunately will be burdened by their memories of the 1999 version.

As you put it yourself, Togashi draws cute characters that do brutal things, and from the first exam there are people dying with heads chopped off and blood flying everywhere. So to me the manga started straight off with 'cute' characters in a brutal and dangerous world already, not after the exam. The only 'fun' exam was the 2nd exam,while the remaining exam all have serious situations. Maintaining Togashi's 'cutesy' design and using a darker tone don't conflict at all, Magica Madoka is a good example of how the two can blend in perfectly. I don't expect the tone to be as sombre and melancholy as the 1999 version, but nor do I expect it to be as cheerful as the 2011 version. My personal interpretation of the manga lies somewhere in between, but just because I don't exactly agree with the tone of the 2011 version doesn't mean I am ignorant of the tone of the manga (which I have read no less than 5 times already). Like i said in my earlier post, I like the darker tone of this episode and hope it keeps up.

I actually don't find the 2011 version as cheerful as many make it out to be.
I think a lot of the "cheerfulness" derives from the excessive censoring in
the early episodes. But story wise it's really not at all that cheerful.
Feb 21, 2012 2:04 AM

Feb 2012
ankifeather said:
SeraSera said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
ankifeather said:
Its DVD sales, however, have been absymal, which leaves me worried about its future.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-02-04/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-january-23-29

It typically reaches the top 10. I don't think it has fallen below a 3.8% since the series first hit 4%. That means it's doing better than literally every other anime series that started in the Fall and Winter. Though I don't know anything about the DVD sales.

Hunter x Hunter isn't a show that starts off somber and melancholy and dark, but rather one that becomes these things in the middle of its first major arc. It's supposed to be "fun"--look at Togashi's chapter cover pages and volume covers in the beginning of the series: they're cutesy and "childish." Even the art in the manga could be considered as such. But the tone of the series itself changes once Gon sets out into the real world. Despite Togashi's propensity to draw "cute" characters, they often do very serious and grave things. The action is brutal and violent.

The only people criticizing the tone of the 2011 series are the ones who are either ignorant to the tone of the manga or those who prefer the 1999 series' as the definitive Hunter x Hunter--even more definitive than the manga upon which the show was based.

You only compare anime ratings of the same timeslot and channel type to tell whether its good. Many anime airs on late-night timeslot or TX which is not nationally broadcasted like HxH's NTV, but in certain cities only. For these animes, DVD/merchandising sale matters more than ratings, as it will rarely be above 2%. Anime of similar timeslot/channel type to HxH are Onepiece and Toriko which are currently 9-11% and 6-8% respectively. Of course these two have been around longer so their ratings are higher, which is why I didn't say HxH ratings are bad , but average. But NTV has never shown anime in the Hxh timeslot before,while previous variety show can gain a 7+% rating easily, so unless HxH grow to 7% rating by the end of the scheduled 45+ episode, NTV may very well return to variety shows. There's still hope to achieve that since the 1999 version on Fuji averaged 9% ratings.

The by age/gender breakdown ratings of HxH shows that the majority of HxH viewers are 35+ yr old males (4.3 rating), and is weakest in the "Kid"( 1.2 rating) and "20-34 yr-old Male" (0.4 rating) categories. Thus, Madhouse attempt to appeal to Kids isn't quite working yet, have to do something about the 20-34 yr old as they are big market for DVD and currently are relying on the older audience, who unfortunately will be burdened by their memories of the 1999 version.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find those ratings? And what about the female watchers?
Feb 21, 2012 3:14 AM

Mar 2008
really great episode..
Feb 21, 2012 4:26 AM
Feb 2012
SeraSera said:
ankifeather said:
SeraSera said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
ankifeather said:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find those ratings? And what about the female watchers?

They are regularly posted on the HxH thread on the Japanese forum 2ch. But I came across the ratings first on this chinese forum, which also include the ratings for other popular shonen anime: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1362538649?pn=1

You can see how different the age/gender breakdown of HxH is to other shonen shows.
Feb 21, 2012 5:01 AM

Oct 2011
@ Mephz Really? because it's been 3 times that you stated you were sure this version didn't follow something correctly while the original did when in reality it's quite the opposite :/

Well anyway, I don't care if I created or not, but if next time, while there is a comparison thread, people still moan and compare both series on a thread like this one, then they'd obviously be trolling.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2012 7:19 AM

Jul 2009
mrsticky005 said:

I never said they had to like the 2011 series.
I'm saying the 2011 series isn't meant to be the 1999 series.
It's meant to be like the manga. The 2011 series is more
accurate to the manga than the 1999 series is.

So when you complain that this or that scene wasn't like the 1999 series
it's really pointless and stupid because it wasn't supposed to be like the 1999
series.

For example people complain about the lack of Hisoka vs Kurapica
even though the fight virtually does not exist in the manga.
That is pointless bickering since it was never supposed to happen
anyways. The 1999 series was the one that messed up by
having an episode dedicated to that fight...in the wrong order.

some zealous 1999 fans are of course free to their own opinion
but what they don't seem to get is the 2011 series was NOT
aimed at their demographic. You know what was? The 1999
series. The 2011 series is for those of us who are manga
fans that wanted a more accurate Hunter x Hunter.

I didn't accuse you of saying they had to like 2011.
My discussion is the same as yours - 2011 isn't '99, but still, gecko+filler+incomplete compared to an accurate adaptation or not, they're the same franchise and people will compare, even if they belive events in '99 are cannon when we know they're not, they have the right to compare what they see to what they view and feel is lacking - all we can do as manga viewrs is state what was filler (if you want) and encourage people to enjoy the series - keep it up and/or take up the manga - the manga (original) is the talking point within this debate.

When it comes to fanbases, there's always going to be fails on both sides - a person who complains about 2011 can be just as negitive as someone who complains about '99 - which is often in some form of counter, which simply continues something that could over time just die down.

Feb 21, 2012 11:23 AM

Feb 2012
ankifeather said:
SeraSera said:
ankifeather said:
SeraSera said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
ankifeather said:

They are regularly posted on the HxH thread on the Japanese forum 2ch. But I came across the ratings first on this chinese forum, which also include the ratings for other popular shonen anime: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1362538649?pn=1

You can see how different the age/gender breakdown of HxH is to other shonen shows.

Thanks! Interesting that more females around the age of 20-30 watch hxh compared to the males around 20-30 XD. But overall, it's more men who watch it, and I'm not surprised.
Feb 21, 2012 7:46 PM

May 2009
fanty said:
^ The anime is basically completely following the manga. Gon's "fight" was the only one drawn in the manga. (And Killua's, which was even less of a fight.)

x5exotic said:
scytheboy13 said:
I loved the episode, but did they actually show all the fights in the manga out of curiosity? Or was Gon's "fight" the only one they showed?

The fights were summarized in the manga as well, the main points were what happened with Illumi and what Hisoka whispered to Kurapika :)

Although if you want to see Hisoka's fights with Kura and Bodoro, there are filler fights in the 1999 version that might be interesting if you're curious :P

ok, thank you!
Feb 23, 2012 11:27 AM

May 2009
This was bad to the max.

Why show this episode if there was literally no character devolpment, this version is obviously not caring about the bond of the 4 mains. Which was the strongest point of HxH.

I'm going to drop this piece of crap because I'm not feeling so well after each episode.

ShoryuukenFeb 23, 2012 11:34 AM
Feb 23, 2012 11:48 AM
Dec 2011
Amazing. So much better than the last couple episodes. They portrayed Killua a little too cold last episode so the transition was a bit awkward but aside from that it was great.
BGM finally got better!
Feb 23, 2012 11:51 AM

Oct 2011
Shoryuuken said:
This was bad to the max.

Why show this episode if there was literally no character devolpment, this version is obviously not caring about the bond of the 4 mains. Which was the strongest point of HxH.

I'm going to drop this piece of crap because I'm not feeling so well after each episode.

They portrayed everything as it was, so you're not making much sense tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2012 12:34 PM

May 2009
Every form of dissatisfaction makes no sense to you, because this is so faithful to the manga right?
Feb 23, 2012 12:36 PM

Nov 2011
Shoryuuken said:
Every form of dissatisfaction makes no sense to you, because this is so faithful to the manga right?

This has been following the manga, if you don't like it go back and watch the 1999 series.
Feb 23, 2012 1:01 PM

May 2009
Damn sure I will, quality is all that matters.
Feb 23, 2012 1:52 PM

Jan 2012
LOL there was no character development? This episode developed Killua alone so i don't know where you saw it hadn't.. lol
Feb 23, 2012 2:02 PM

Oct 2011
Shoryuuken said:

Umm no? You said that the development sucked and the bond between the four sucked as well...WHICH WAS the best thing about this HxH?
So logically you're saying that this wasn't good because it didn't have the elements the manga had? Yet it followed it almost exactly the same way.
So yes. THIS form of dissatisfaction does not make sense to me.
Feb 23, 2012 11:16 PM

May 2009
If I am not satisfied, you have to respect that. Did you ever learned to respect opinions??

Even if it does not make sense to you.

I don't really feel like wasting my time on you explaining why I don't like this.

Because I already did, makes no sense to you?? Too bad for you then.
Feb 24, 2012 2:26 AM

Oct 2011
I never said I didn't respect that. I just said that you're contradicting yourself, if you took offense in that, then maybe you need to respect opinions.
Feb 24, 2012 6:10 AM

Sep 2008
x5exotic said:
I never said I didn't respect that. I just said that you're contradicting yourself, if you took offense in that, then maybe you need to respect opinions.

you sir are an idiot :)
Feb 24, 2012 7:24 AM

May 2009
x5exotic said:

Lol what, now you are just being ridiculous.
Just stop, ok?
ShoryuukenFeb 24, 2012 7:32 AM
Feb 24, 2012 11:26 AM

Oct 2011
Shoryuuken said:
This was bad to the max.

You've inadvertently stumbled upon the series' intent. But simultaneously, your knowledge of what comes next in the series might be affecting the way you view the material in this one. You seem to be a fan of the 1999 series, so I want to illustrate a key difference between this version and the 1999 series: the protagonists are not all friends yet.

In the 1999 series, the four of them work together and interact with each other in every phase. Through teamwork and cooperation, their friendship grows. You could make a pretty decent argument that the four protagonists have already become friends with each other by episode 12 in the 1999 series.

But in the 2011 series, have you noticed that Killua rarely interacts with Leorio and Kurapika? This is true in the manga as well. Until the Third Phase, Killua largely only speaks with Gon. The 2011 series inserts a line that explicitly states this--Killua only cares about he and Gon passing. When you see only the trio of Gon, Kurapika, and Killua exiting from the Trick Tower, you might even assume that the group murdered Leorio and Tonpa (Gon ends up grabbing that axe, after all). But notably, Killua--since he's the only one who has done something like that before.

Killua does some things that are awfully similar to Hisoka throughout the Hunter Exam arc. Hisoka removes a man's arms for bumping into him; Killua murders two people for doing the same thing. Moreover, the way he toys with Johness' life in Trick Tower scares Kurapika and Leorio. But there's material that allows the audience to actually start to like Killua; his interactions with Gon contradict the murderous aura around him.

It isn't until this episode in which his true nature is revealed: it sounds as if Killua's comments about Gon to Hanzo ("Why did you let him win? I'm sure you could have made Gon surrender using numerous methods without killing him, given your skills.") are done in envy of Gon's talent. But it turns out that it isn't Gon's abilities that Killua is jealous of: it's Gon's lifestyle.

More than anything, Killua wants to be normal. Gon represents that normality. The manga calls the chapters surrounding Gon, Killua, and Illumi "Light and Darkness." Go to page 80 in the thread for a little more information concerning this. It's a big deal for Leorio to cheer Killua on during his match with his brother--especially since the two didn't like each other much to begin with. Go back to the scenes in which they first interact with each other during the First Phase, or pay attention to Leorio's comments about Killua during the Third Phase.

You can actually pinpoint the moments in which Togashi's characters recognize that their initial prejudices were wrong concerning each other.
Feb 24, 2012 12:05 PM

Oct 2011
Shoryuuken said:
x5exotic said:

Lol what, now you are just being ridiculous.
Just stop, ok?

Lol how is that?
You said the 4 characters' bond wasn't as good --> even though it was done like in the chapter correctly so how does that make any sense? What did it exactly do (or miss) that emphasized said bond? Did it delete anything? Or add something that isn't in the right place?
Either you haven't even read the manga or are just trolling. Still I didn't attack you neither did I include anything regarding you disliking the episode. That remark simply didn't make sense. If you took offense in that, that isn't my problem.

@Mephz try to read the manga then maybe, you can troll properly. All you have done on these threads is troll the series out of being butthurt :) It's funny because you specifically are pathetic since you actually pretend to have read the manga and failed.
x5exoticFeb 24, 2012 12:09 PM
Feb 24, 2012 12:57 PM

May 2009
Toto_y_Moi said:
Shoryuuken said:

Mmmmm, I see. nice explanation. Maybe I should do that yea.

@x5exotic

Just shut the hell up ok??
Feb 24, 2012 1:08 PM

Oct 2011
Hmmm so you can't answer that? Troll indeed :D
Besides didn't you say you dropped it? So get the hell out, K? Good.
Feb 24, 2012 1:23 PM

May 2009
x5exotic said:

I dropped it, but his explanation made sense. So I give it another chance, maybe I will see more character devolpment later.

Unlike an certain MAL user accuses me of trolling just because I dislike an anime he likes. Really you have to be ashamed of yourself.
Feb 24, 2012 1:31 PM

Oct 2011
Shoryuuken said:
x5exotic said:

I dropped it, but his explanation made sense. So I give it another chance, maybe I will see more character devolpment later.

Unlike an certain MAL user accuses me of trolling just because I dislike an anime he likes. Really you have to be ashamed of yourself.

No I called you a troll because you try to turn things around and put words in my mouth( or comment). My comment wasn't even concerned with you liking the ep/series in the first place...at all. I reassured that in my previous comments. So where did you get the idea that I was addressing your opinion?

The only thing I did was point out the flaw in your logic regarding the "development" part, NOT because you disliked it, because the statement was incorrect. And now you're taking offense because of that for some reason.
Feb 24, 2012 1:37 PM

May 2009
Since you quoted me, smartguy.

If you want to talk about my mistakes do it on my profile, since we are derailing the topic now.
Feb 24, 2012 1:59 PM

Oct 2011
Quoting is offensive now :O

Anyway, check your wall..thing.
Feb 24, 2012 5:25 PM

Feb 2012
I loved this episode,
i even cried when killua said that he wanted to be friends with Gon :')

and the BGM was awesome too, loved it! :)
Feb 24, 2012 5:56 PM

Oct 2011
Gon_Freecss said:
I loved this episode,

Nice name :p
Feb 24, 2012 6:28 PM

Feb 2012
x5exotic said:
Gon_Freecss said:
I loved this episode,

Thank you :D
im a new member here and i thought that the name would be perfect because i really like Gon :D
Feb 24, 2012 7:09 PM

Jan 2012
Gon_Freecss said:
x5exotic said:
Gon_Freecss said:
I loved this episode,

Thank you :D
im a new member here and i thought that the name would be perfect because i really like Gon :D

Welcome! :)
I loved this episode. Killua's fear of his brother was well portrayed and the pacing overall felt great. Can't wait till the next episode.
Feb 25, 2012 12:47 AM

Jan 2012
The series is pacing is going slow considering we have to wait a whole week for it air... lol
Feb 25, 2012 1:31 AM

Oct 2011
So is it confirmed? No new episode next week? I thought it was after ep. 21 :/
Feb 25, 2012 3:07 AM

Aug 2009
x5exotic said:
So is it confirmed? No new episode next week? I thought it was after ep. 21 :/

Yes it's confirmed. On the official website it's written that the next episode will air on the 4th of March.

http://www.ntv.co.jp/hunterhunter/
Feb 25, 2012 3:58 AM

Oct 2011
Crap....well at least we'll get it over with now...
Feb 25, 2012 11:46 AM

Feb 2012
Well said Toto_y_moi, I was always bothered by the 1999 series as it's just not Togashi's HxH to me. The director of the 1999 series tried so hard to turn it into a mainstream, moralistic, traditional hot blooded series with the sappy Mito drama, the 'we're all good friends' vibe so early on, and a morally-awared "goody goody' Gon and Killua, etc. Whatever the 1999 series fans clung onto was the anime director's own vision, it sure wasn't how Togashi's visioned his HxH to be. To me the 1999 series came off corny in many places, while the manga was a lot more subtle, albeit seemingly 'cold' but actually more moving as Togashi always managed to move you with one simplistic frame or line later. I'd say the pacing and character development in the new series is perfectly fine, it's at the same pace as manga, so it's all good and I hope they keep up the good work.

I remembered in the 1999 series when Hanzo was torturing Gon, they added some lines for Killua to threatened Hanzo in his thoughts "how dare you hurt Gon, I'm gonna..." (and showed his sharp nails ready to kill). That is just completely out of character for me! It's things like these (which I'm sure 1999 series fans considered as "character bonding") that ruined 1999 series for me. It's major changes to character's core. In the manga (and the new series), Killua was pre-occupied by being see as having less potential than Gon the entire way. And to him, such displayed of 'tortures' was NOTHING to him, as he's been thru way worst growing up, so it's nothing to get angry about. The 1999 series of so called 'character bonding' was out of characters, out of pace most of the time, so I'm glad this new series is being faithful to Togashi's vision in spirits at least.
Feb 25, 2012 1:42 PM

Jan 2012
Yes exactly, I watched the 1999 series before i read the manga and i enjoyed how friendship aspect was handled, but once i got to reading the manga, it felt much different. IMO Togashi didn't want to portray his characters as becoming friends instantaneously just within 5 chapters. All of them weren't friends right off the back, rather Kurapika, Gon, and Leorio were fond of each but weren't necessarily friends when they passed the test on the boat. Since they had the same goal in mind, travelling in a group would make sense. Through there actions and subtleties you would than realize that their bonds were growing stronger, which i thought Togashi handled very well. He characterizes his cast with subtitles which i find really impressive. That's one of the reasons why i appreciate the manga a lot more than the 1999 series.
noonealiveFeb 25, 2012 3:02 PM
Feb 25, 2012 8:10 PM

Jul 2010
Toto_y_Moi said:
Shoryuuken said:
This was bad to the max.

You've inadvertently stumbled upon the series' intent. But simultaneously, your knowledge of what comes next in the series might be affecting the way you view the material in this one. You seem to be a fan of the 1999 series, so I want to illustrate a key difference between this version and the 1999 series: the protagonists are not all friends yet.

In the 1999 series, the four of them work together and interact with each other in every phase. Through teamwork and cooperation, their friendship grows. You could make a pretty decent argument that the four protagonists have already become friends with each other by episode 12 in the 1999 series.

But in the 2011 series, have you noticed that Killua rarely interacts with Leorio and Kurapika? This is true in the manga as well. Until the Third Phase, Killua largely only speaks with Gon. The 2011 series inserts a line that explicitly states this--Killua only cares about he and Gon passing. When you see only the trio of Gon, Kurapika, and Killua exiting from the Trick Tower, you might even assume that the group murdered Leorio and Tonpa (Gon ends up grabbing that axe, after all). But notably, Killua--since he's the only one who has done something like that before.

Killua does some things that are awfully similar to Hisoka throughout the Hunter Exam arc. Hisoka removes a man's arms for bumping into him; Killua murders two people for doing the same thing. Moreover, the way he toys with Johness' life in Trick Tower scares Kurapika and Leorio. But there's material that allows the audience to actually start to like Killua; his interactions with Gon contradict the murderous aura around him.

It isn't until this episode in which his true nature is revealed: it sounds as if Killua's comments about Gon to Hanzo ("Why did you let him win? I'm sure you could have made Gon surrender using numerous methods without killing him, given your skills.") are done in envy of Gon's talent. But it turns out that it isn't Gon's abilities that Killua is jealous of: it's Gon's lifestyle.

More than anything, Killua wants to be normal. Gon represents that normality. The manga calls the chapters surrounding Gon, Killua, and Illumi "Light and Darkness." Go to page 80 in the thread for a little more information concerning this. It's a big deal for Leorio to cheer Killua on during his match with his brother--especially since the two didn't like each other much to begin with. Go back to the scenes in which they first interact with each other during the First Phase, or pay attention to Leorio's comments about Killua during the Third Phase.

You can actually pinpoint the moments in which Togashi's characters recognize that their initial prejudices were wrong concerning each other.

Even though this isn't my conversation xD, I found your explanation really helpful. This was one of the things I was honestly confused about, and this cleared a lot up. So thanks :))
Feb 27, 2012 12:21 AM

Apr 2009
What happen? where is episode 21?
Feb 27, 2012 2:52 AM

Oct 2011
No episode this week...
Feb 28, 2012 8:11 AM
Aug 2011
far better than previous episodes. Good job, mad house!!!
But why this week doesn't have???
Feb 28, 2012 12:11 PM

Nov 2007
Why no episode this week?
Feb 28, 2012 12:55 PM

Feb 2012
Seems like Nippon TV is streaming live some event in Tokyo in the timeslot of Hunter x Hunter.
Feb 28, 2012 5:00 PM

Sep 2011
It was meh, I can see Madhouse is trying to improve. There definitely were some improvements with this episode, but over all I still think the 1999 anime was better. Oh and for the love of god please change that god awful ending song already. Every time an episode finished i have to spam the stop button. Crappy scream-o music and Hunter x Hunter don't mix well...
Feb 29, 2012 6:35 PM

Jul 2011
Salce said:
Seems like Nippon TV is streaming live some event in Tokyo in the timeslot of Hunter x Hunter.

Aw . _ .
Mar 1, 2012 1:24 AM
May 2007
Music played during Killua and Illumi conversation was a hell of a distraction!

Mar 1, 2012 7:40 AM

Aug 2008
Just a few more days for the next episode.. Too long!! >_<
I hope they don't change OP or ED for the next season.

Can't wait for the arc after the zoldyck estate arc, at the tower. Especially the fight between Hisoka and Gon, I hope they make it even more epic!!
lzumi-chanMar 1, 2012 7:59 AM
Mar 6, 2012 12:32 AM
Apr 2011
Great shit.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Yesterday

59 by plutoHendrixx »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
10 hours ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.