Forum Settings
Forums

When happy scenes take a dark turn/get sad fast

New
Feb 18, 2012 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
who else think these are the most (emotionally) brutal things a story can do, they fool you into thinking

"oh everything will be ok thank god"

then while your caught off guard it goes straight to your weak spot

and im not talking about about there being a happy scene followed by sadness in the next like clannad after story episode 16 was, i mean those ones that abruptly happens......agh i got it heres a example of what i mean, gigantic spoilers though

What are some moments where this has happened, and how did you react to them
JizzyHitlerFeb 18, 2012 8:04 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 18, 2012 8:10 PM

Feb 2010
Well I remember one moment this happened during Higurashi which made that episode stand out.
Higurashi spoilers:
Feb 18, 2012 8:28 PM

Jun 2008
I HATE when this happens, especially if the entire show went on with nothing really ever going terrible wrong, then BAM, fucking hit by a truck. Dies.

WTF.

I've seen at least 3 shows that did this already, no need for spoilers because I'm not going to name them. But when this shit happens, there's really nothing to feel, then feel numb (or at least mentally numb) about WTF just happened. Then just complain how rotten the directors are to use this cheap plot device for emotional impact, while defending their device by simply suggesting "shit happens, regardless of your actions".

Keep in mind I'm not talking about shows like Elfen Lied or other shows that has violence, has on rare occasions a happy event, then boom. I'm talking about a show that was entirely peaceful... up to that event. It can be introduced as earlier as episode 2 of some *cough* anime, or it can be introduced at the end of a movie.

I practically developed a paranoia of assuming an unexpected event can happen at any time when dealing with fictional works (thankfully it haven't been transferred to real life).

"Ah shit she's walking on the street... accident?"
Feb 18, 2012 8:45 PM

Sep 2011
FatherAnderson said:
Well I remember one moment this happened during Higurashi which made that episode stand out.
Higurashi spoilers:
derp herp, why the hell did i not think of higurashi when making this

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 18, 2012 8:47 PM

Mar 2009
I like it when that happens.
Feb 18, 2012 8:48 PM

Sep 2011
Tachii said:

I practically developed a paranoia of assuming an unexpected event can happen at any time when dealing with fictional works
i feel the same way, ever since i beat 13-2 2 months ago ive just been expecting every happy song to be used as a trick to let my guard down

now and then here and there i had it coming, i shouldnt have been dumb enough to let my guard down in that show of all shows.

its like how my friend was watching that show yuri yuri it hink it was called and he kept thinking everyone would just die in a tragic car accident at the end(which was hilarious to all of us), it didnt but thats what im afraid im turning into

AlexSadist-sama said:
I like it when that happens.
yah i do too, i rarely cry cause i can hold it back unless its just that sad(tokyo magnitude and clannad after story broke my sadness) but when it does this and i let my guard down i have no defense to stop the tears, granted 13-2's the only one that actually made me cry out of the ones i mentioned(well the school days one made me cry but those were tears of happiness)

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 18, 2012 8:50 PM

Sep 2011
LOL I was already thinking about Clannad After Story by just reading the title. xD
Feb 18, 2012 8:52 PM

Sep 2011
OriginANIME said:
LOL I was already thinking about Clannad After Story by just reading the title. xD
i dont think it did this though.....granted i havent rewatched episode 16 or up since my will isnt that strong, i have rewatched that scene in ep 16 through youtube......cried every single time

wow i got off topic

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 18, 2012 8:52 PM

Nov 2008
The beginning of Tales of Hearts

Feb 18, 2012 8:54 PM

Sep 2011
Hoppy said:
The beginning of Tales of Hearts
i still need to play that....is it any good, i hear its like 1 of 3 of the tales games where the romance actually goes somewhere(graces and abyss being the other 2, symphonia went somewhere in the anime though)

GOD DAMN IT, i need to stop going of topic

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 18, 2012 9:11 PM

Aug 2011
Madoka. Every damn thing in Madoka.

And that new show Another is getting a lot of this too.
Feb 18, 2012 9:18 PM

Jun 2008
Clannad AS kind of hinted you what was to come, with her sick days and coughing fits. It wasn't as sudden. But the next tragedy was just uncalled for, not because it was happy-turned-depressing, but something bad already happened a few episodes earlier. It's kind of like hitting by a truck twice. The first one made you comatose, you kind of got over it, but then you got hit by another one. At that point, the only thing you can hope for is magical orbs...

and I'll stop at that point.
Feb 18, 2012 11:33 PM

Sep 2011
Adair said:
Madoka. Every damn thing in Madoka.

And that new show Another is getting a lot of this too.
well only ep 3, after that you see it coming

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 19, 2012 2:13 AM

Nov 2010
Feb 19, 2012 6:33 AM

Oct 2009
CLAMP have done this many times with me through their Manga.

More so Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle than anything else.
Feb 19, 2012 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
I love those kind of scenes, especially when characters get killed off. I don't know i guess I have a thing for sad stories they seem more realistic than the happy everything is ok stories.
Feb 19, 2012 6:55 AM

Mar 2010
Its tragic then its awesome.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 19, 2012 7:51 AM

Dec 2011
Tachii said:
Clannad AS kind of hinted you what was to come, with her sick days and coughing fits. It wasn't as sudden. But the next tragedy was just uncalled for, not because it was happy-turned-depressing, but something bad already happened a few episodes earlier. It's kind of like hitting by a truck twice. The first one made you comatose, you kind of got over it, but then you got hit by another one. At that point, the only thing you can hope for is magical orbs...

and I'll stop at that point.

I came here thinking about After Story... Contains some spoilers

Now I will shut up because I might get attacked for spoilers, and there are enough in this text :D

EDIT:

Song :D Beautiful, and so is the picture :D

akutasame94Feb 19, 2012 1:22 PM
Feb 19, 2012 8:36 AM

Sep 2011
Kuramii said:
More so Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle than anything else.
oh man tokyo revelations is a good example, one second its happy then THE SPLIT SECOND THEY GET THERE, everything goes to hell

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 19, 2012 1:09 PM

Jun 2008
akutasame94 said:
Nice music. But I would spoiler tag your post, huge spoiler in there by saying her name.
Feb 19, 2012 1:21 PM

Dec 2011
Tachii said:
akutasame94 said:
Nice music. But I would spoiler tag your post, huge spoiler in there by saying her name.

I'll do it, I was just to lazy :D

DId it....
akutasame94Feb 19, 2012 1:30 PM
Feb 19, 2012 3:49 PM

Feb 2005
It's okay if it makes sense. Even if it is a total surprise, as long as it doesn't feel completely random and unnatural.
But when it doesn't it's just retarded. That's one of the reasons why I disliked Clannad AS after ep 16 or 17 or whenever.
Feb 20, 2012 3:31 PM
Jul 2010
Well it's a H-VN but I still enjoyed it a lot, in shion when

I personally think they're great, so long as it isn't a wtf moment that makes no logical sense. So long as it contributes to the plot constructively, I Find them nice- especially when they're used to conclude a storyline.
Feb 20, 2012 3:51 PM

Feb 2012
Really, I'm surprised.....

....that no one has mentioned Katanagatari yet.

If anything, that goes at the top of the list.

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend you do.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Feb 22, 2012 4:14 AM

Mar 2011
School Days…. When you watch the first 4 episode it seems like normal school life/romance anime, then when the protagonist start 2 timing…. Well the plot turns realyyyyyy bad.
Feb 26, 2012 6:36 PM

Dec 2010
I find that this kind of stuff is going on in Guilty Crown, if anyone is keeping track of the show. But now its just rolling down a hill sorta.
Feb 26, 2012 8:18 PM

Jun 2009
Baman said:
It's okay if it makes sense. Even if it is a total surprise, as long as it doesn't feel completely random and unnatural.
But when it doesn't it's just retarded. That's one of the reasons why I disliked Clannad AS after ep 16 or 17 or whenever.

How doesn't it make sense if

I can't help but think that your reason of disliking Clannad~AS~ is because of your preference of storyline.
AirStylesFeb 26, 2012 8:28 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2012 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
Tachii said:
I HATE when this happens, especially if the entire show went on with nothing really ever going terrible wrong, then BAM, fucking hit by a truck. Dies.

School Days. Went from meh-ing the show to hate it.
Feb 26, 2012 9:51 PM

Jan 2008
One Piece. Ace.
Feb 27, 2012 1:59 PM

Feb 2005
AirStyles said:
How doesn't it make sense if

I can't help but think that your reason of disliking Clannad~AS~ is because of your preference of storyline.
That wasn't anywhere near enough to hint at such a random twist in my book, sorry. And even if it was, it would still be a terrible, terrible, terrible twist. Same shit happened in Mai Hime, and while it was a lot more plausible there (the whole show being about magical monsters and whatnot), that didn't make it any less terrible.

So yea, I prefer stories without these kind of crappy low-level twists. If they're going to pull a deus ex machina, they should at least try to camouflage it and fit it into the story a bit better, and not...
Feb 27, 2012 5:33 PM

Oct 2009
Another episode 8.

Classic beach episode ends badly for one kid.
Feb 27, 2012 5:34 PM

Sep 2011
Gogetters said:
Another episode 8.

Classic beach episode ends badly for one kid.
i was about to come in and say this.....i thought it had a nice boat, it had a really nice motor as well.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 27, 2012 5:53 PM

Sep 2010
Feb 27, 2012 6:10 PM

Sep 2011
kain361 said:
that ending BROKE me. only 2 shows have ever been so sad that i cant hold in my tears, tokyo magnitude was 1 of them. ending gets me every time, ecpecially when they do the slideshow

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 27, 2012 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
Baman said:
So yea, I prefer stories without these kind of crappy low-level twists. If they're going to pull a deus ex machina, they should at least try to camouflage it and fit it into the story a bit better, and not...
Thing is, I remember Akio mentioned something when Nagisa was young and got very sick. I don't remember if he mentioned anything about orbs though. There was this whole other business with the other world and stuff... which I didn't pay much attention on.

Regardless if these dragonballs were hinted at or not, the very essence of the idea is ridiculous.
Feb 27, 2012 6:14 PM

Sep 2010
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
kain361 said:
that ending BROKE me. only 2 shows have ever been so sad that i cant hold in my tears, tokyo magnitude was 1 of them. ending gets me every time, ecpecially when they do the slideshow

Though I must admit that the strongest impact was...don't ask me why I still didn't figure it out, though somehow it managed to beat up even Clannad.
Feb 28, 2012 2:02 AM

May 2009
Depends of how well it is excuted.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.