Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 23, 2012 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
This was so bad, but damn if it wasn't fun to watch. 70 minutes of wackiness.

That shark spider thing made my day. Glad they gave it an extended role compared to the manga, though it's been some time since I read the manga. I do recall the manga being creepy as fuck, but this. . . this was pants on head retarded and about as uncreepy as they get. Not to mention it has a brain similar to 1950s monster movies.

It's like the studio hired writers of Syfy Original Movies. Hell, if Syfy continued to show anime to this day, I wouldn't have been surprised if this aired once it ends up being dubbed.

The animation is mostly good but there were times where the CGI and hell, the animation itself looked terribly off model.
removed-userFeb 23, 2012 7:14 PM
Feb 23, 2012 3:18 PM
Feb 2012
DJ007 said:
To be honest is too long. At the begining is like woooow, superb, what an ova but then with time it becomes boring. Nothing changes in that, she wants to save Tadashi but then he suddenly becomes a monster... and? too long, but still good ; )

Do you have any idea where I can watch it with the subs?
Feb 23, 2012 3:51 PM

Dec 2011
This was one of the most hilarious things i've seen for quite a while.

It was just so....
Feb 23, 2012 4:10 PM

Feb 2012
You just made my day.

"Well 'ello 'ello" > GASHUNK
Feb 23, 2012 4:47 PM

Aug 2009
I don't even know what to say about this one, haha. It was pretty hilarious tho xD Some nasty stuff in there too :O

Feb 23, 2012 5:12 PM
Jun 2011
I`ve had my fair share of stupid and ridiculous animes,but this just blowed my mind, it brings the concept of retarded to a whole new level XD
Feb 24, 2012 3:51 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I've got no backbone when it comes to scary stuff, but even I cracked up a few times during some of the ridiculous scenes. I enjoyed it up until the circus part, then it just got much too weird.

I've never seen an anime like this before so I definitely appreciate the originality, though it obviously references those old scary movies from the 50s and horror B movies.

It seems like a lot of you are giving quite low scores, but I think that's probably because you know the source material or genre a lot more than the average user. Since I've never seen anything like this, I gave it an 8/10. Yeah, that might be too high, but I don't remember the last time an anime made me react in so many different ways like this one did.
p r o f i l e 👀
Feb 24, 2012 3:54 AM

Jul 2009
That's cool, I wasn't planning to sleep again this week anyway...
Aside of that, 7/10. I always enjoy zombie stuff.
Feb 24, 2012 4:16 AM

Sep 2008
God that was awful. Wasn't even bad enough to be good.

is Ufotable like Gonzo 2.0? They seem to make the same retarded decisions.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Feb 24, 2012 4:53 AM

Feb 2009
Horror isn't my genre. This certainly wasn't... what's the right word... 'enjoyable'. But then again, I don't like horror, vampires, werevolves or zombies either. The story started out and went to nowhere. It's like the whole thing was produced only to make people feel disgusted.
Feb 24, 2012 7:02 AM

Mar 2011
The question is how the fuck did those fart human spider zombies managed to reach all the way to Moscow?

I mean, we're talking Russia here, where anything can die of frostbite even during the summer.
Feb 24, 2012 8:22 AM

Feb 2012
Who cares bro, we're talking about Gyo here. Usually you have cool things such as ninjas, pirates, robots, aliens, zombies and so on.

But Gyo decided - no sir! I'm not gonna limit myself to just ONE of those things!

So now we have zombie sharks with robotic legs, infected by sentient alien bacteria and apparently commanded by ghosts..from space... The only way these things could possibly be any more awesome was if they wore party hats and farted golden confetti in the city districts.
Feb 24, 2012 9:56 AM

Feb 2009
Taufiq91 said:
The question is how the fuck did those fart human spider zombies managed to reach all the way to Moscow?

I mean, we're talking Russia here, where anything can die of frostbite even during the summer.

Dude, it's anime. We don't have to explain shit. It's Junji Ito's work. Accept it.
Feb 24, 2012 1:34 PM
Sep 2009
Not as bad as everyone claims.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 24, 2012 1:34 PM
Apr 2011
after watching this, i only have one single thought

"WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH?"
Feb 24, 2012 1:41 PM

Sep 2008
I can't get over how terrible the VA was, it was like every line was delivered like the Voice Actors didn't know what the anime was about, or what situation the characters where in.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Feb 24, 2012 1:45 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, the rating has dropped to 6.20 since the fansub has been released. Can it go any lower?
Feb 24, 2012 4:12 PM

Jan 2011
I already read the manga and it was great, but this OVA is "weak". It doesn't live up to the manga. Some things I dislike about the anime were:
Feb 25, 2012 3:51 AM
Oct 2008
"What the hell is this, WHAAAT THEEEE HEEEEEELL"

above is my reaction to, well, everything in this show. I don't think this classifies as horror, its more sci-fi apocalyptish
Feb 25, 2012 5:42 AM

Mar 2011
it was ok .it felt like 1 of those low budget SCI-FI movies,but still was some of the changes necessary?Koyanagi's assistant should of had the role shirakawa had...erika and aki felt unnecesary and is it just me or did the virus spread 10x faster here..i recall the virus took a few months to get to the human/spider stage
Treecko will save you money on your car insurance
Feb 25, 2012 1:15 PM

Dec 2009
Gross
What the hell was that? I'm glad i watched this online or else i would have wasted more than 6 hours of my life downloading and then watching. This was just stupid.

2/10
Feb 25, 2012 10:56 PM

Oct 2011
why wasnt there a walking whale? that would have been much creepier.

anyway, this kinda reminds me of the movie Cloverfield
Nope.
Feb 25, 2012 11:44 PM

Feb 2011
I don't know anything about the manga or Junji Ito, I merely saw a link to Gyo and I watched it.

I was not disappointed. I wasn't "scared" but the movie had a creepy "horror" feeling from start to end (that's a good thing, since its genre is horror!).

Everyone saying it was hilarious, terrible, etc. I really don't see why you're saying those things unless you watched the movie with preconceptions and expectations from Junji Ito or the manga.

I for one found it enjoyable, though indeed the idea was quite abstract and perhaps "far-fetched" (not really that much so though) it was executed well.

Throughout the movie, it felt to me like perhaps the creator was trying to give underlying meanings and perhaps his views on people and society as a whole.

Since the very start of the movie we were able to see the ugly side of people (dishonesty between friends, slutty girl, selfishness, etc.) and things just kept going downhill from there until everyone was consumed by a disgusting outward form living through waste and excrement as it consumed everything.

A point could also be made that the MC was possibly the only one who didn't show these attributes (throughout she showed trustworthiness, loyalty, courage, etc.) and perhaps not a coincidence, was unaffected by the virus--- which leads into another possible theme behind the movie: karma.

Anyway, there are many other possibilities of hidden themes and meanings that could hold true, but perhaps none of them intentional or perhaps so. We will really never know.

Indeed the idea behind the "fart machines" is a bit funny if you think of it directly in that sense, but if you think of deeper meanings or even sort of "forget" that they're "fart machines" and merely watch it for what it is, an abstract horror, I think you'll find the movie enjoyable as I did.

I agree though that the scene with the plane crash and right after where they act like nothing happened was a bit silly.
dperolioFeb 27, 2012 2:55 AM
Feb 26, 2012 1:20 AM

Jul 2010
I expected more from this. I didn't mind that they switched the main character, but when it got to Kaori trying to get back to Tokyo, I felt like turning it off. Wish they had included the lab assistant and more of the flying leg machine.
Feb 26, 2012 1:27 PM

Jan 2010
That was good, nothing more.
Sorry for my bad english ;c
Feb 26, 2012 2:19 PM

Sep 2010
vampireneko said:
what...was...that...O.o

What was the whole point of this OVA? It reminded of the movie ''Annihilation Earth'' and that's not a good thing...for me at at least.

Anyway, I don't wanna see fish for the time being.

The point of the movie was to show a horror apocalypse. It is a similar point shown in zombie movies except with fish.

I seriously don't get why people try to overthink every anime.

Feb 26, 2012 7:12 PM

Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:
vampireneko said:
what...was...that...O.o

What was the whole point of this OVA? It reminded of the movie ''Annihilation Earth'' and that's not a good thing...for me at at least.

Anyway, I don't wanna see fish for the time being.

The point of the movie was to show a horror apocalypse. It is a similar point shown in zombie movies except with fish.

I seriously don't get why people try to overthink every anime.

Because it's not a zombie film,

it's a monster film with zombies added to it.

And besides, it implies that it was develop by the Japanese in WWII, and then it turns out that the walkers are controlled by alien ghosts.

So which is correct?! It boggles everyone.

I mean, no one was bothered by the lack of explanation in the Romero Dead films because they don't want to give an explanation. But this one is a different story.
Feb 26, 2012 7:40 PM

Sep 2010
And besides, it implies that it was develop by the Japanese in WWII, and then it turns out that the walkers are controlled by alien ghosts.

It's not 'and then'. The manga goes differently than the OVA. The explanations are separate from one another.

Because it's not a zombie film,it's a monster film with zombies added to it.

Zombies aren't monsters now?

I mean, no one was bothered by the lack of explanation in the Romero Dead films because they don't want to give an explanation. But this one is a different story.

Why? All they did was add some fish and technology. It might be more out there than a Romero flick but Gyo doesn't require any more explanation. The movie's premise is some inexplicable Fish-Gas-Zombie-Apocalypse. Bakemonogatari this aint.

Feb 26, 2012 8:01 PM

Jun 2009
People are putting the manga on a pedestal. I mean hell, did you forget that the characters were as flat as cardboard, the lack of consistency, it's just got pure stupid near the end and the ending...by god the ending...Practically a deus ex machina.
(Never seen before characters appear out of nowhere)
"Hey man, you immune? We are going to fix everything."
MC: "Ok, cool."
END.

As for gashunk, just try watching this movie and saying it every-time a shark shows up. It's quite hilarious. No wonder they didn't put it in.
AidanAK47Feb 26, 2012 8:05 PM

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Feb 26, 2012 9:26 PM

Feb 2012
AidanAK47 said:
People are putting the manga on a pedestal.

Exactly. I think Junji Ito is a master of the genre and that his concepts are inventive and often terrifying, but Gyo was a misstep by these standards: its story is dragged along begrudgingly by Ito's artwork, its characters are either paper-thin or (in the case of the doctor) impossibly unrealistic in motivation, and its horror is weakened by Ito's need to spew ridiculous explanations for the story. And that's why I couldn't care less that this OVA is a piece of shit; I have little attachment to the source material.

Now, the live action adaptation of Uzumaki...that's another story.
Feb 27, 2012 3:09 AM

Mar 2011
AidanAK47 said:
People are putting the manga on a pedestal. I mean hell, did you forget that the characters were as flat as cardboard, the lack of consistency, it's just got pure stupid near the end and the ending...by god the ending...Practically a deus ex machina.
(Never seen before characters appear out of nowhere)
"Hey man, you immune? We are going to fix everything."
MC: "Ok, cool."
END.

I think the manga was good, but it's ruined by one of the biggest plot holes in any manga:

If landfish are releasing gas in the first place, wouldn't the sea smell like shit by now?

And wouldn't there be high levels of pollution in the Sea of Japan?
Feb 27, 2012 3:38 PM
Jan 2011
I'm just watch OVA... seriusly... WTF?!
Feb 28, 2012 7:01 AM

Jan 2012
What did i just watched? It was just like a zombie invasion XD. You get infected and it's all over for you.
Apocalypse!!

Feb 28, 2012 10:23 AM

Jul 2010
man that was disgusting. that was the crappiest anime i watched since hidan no aria...
Feb 28, 2012 11:05 PM

May 2011
Well that was fairly disgusting

With media releasing all these world apocalypse movies and what not makes you wonder if the world will end in the form of biblical predictions or some man made disaster
Mar 1, 2012 9:42 PM

Jul 2011
This is so bad it isn't even funny - it really is bad. Everything about it is bad.

1/10. I'm really sad because I wasted 1 hour which I could have perfectly used to watch other series that are actually worth watching.
Mar 2, 2012 1:14 AM

Jun 2011
I am not quite sure what to think of this bizarre anime. When the retarded fish frog was first shown I admit that I laughed. However as this OVA went of I feel as though it sort of made progress. I found myself very much enjoying the artwork (not so much the graphic stuff but there were certain parts that really struck me.) Sort of interesting not very good in the end since none of it made a lick of sense. I think I'll have to read the manga to really get something out of it, ya know. >.<
Mar 2, 2012 8:37 AM

Jul 2010
The manga is certainly not among my favorites, but this really stinks. It replaced Ito's atmosphere with senseless fan service.
Mar 3, 2012 11:20 AM

Jun 2008
WTF did i just watch?

I feel like i need to take a bath. This really made me feel disgusting. I guess if that was one of the purposes you can say it kind of succeeded.
It felt like a b-movie that went even more crazy because of Japanese strange ideas.
The disappointment is that the way it ended made no sense. So what are they just gonna sit in that boat until they die? Did someone thought that it will add to the strangeness if they left the ending so vague and that it will make it more cult or something?
Personally i at least wanted an ending to the whole mess.
And what the hell did she meant at the end by saying that the smell is already gone?

Kind of disliked the obvious b-movie Hollywood pattern of fucking up the girl that sleeps around and the ugly girl. They should have avoided that one.

Anyway it war really crazy shit combining a tons of elements into a mixed disgusting soup. Was kind of fun at some parts and the hidden society messages and craziness can somewhat be appreciated(living alien gas or something like that) but it also had boring moments and stupid staff and a scenario that seem to be going nowhere that simply trying to make us feel disgusted.
MonadMar 3, 2012 3:29 PM
Mar 3, 2012 11:31 AM
Feb 2011
didn't like the fact that it was changed so much from the manga version so just dropped watching it at halfway
Mar 3, 2012 4:27 PM

Aug 2008
wow.... now my brain is full of f*ck

what the... I thought this is suppose to be an horror anime or something... but this is just disgusting... nothing else... seriously...
Kou39Mar 3, 2012 4:41 PM

“The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.” 
― Agatha Christie
Mar 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Jul 2010
lol the first half of the movie wasn't too bad, but the part with the tubes up the ass.... the hell was that.....
Mar 4, 2012 11:18 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, this was awesome!!

Who's up for a rewatch? :DD
Mar 5, 2012 12:34 AM

Jul 2005
Pretty disgusting, yet so very interesting! Liked the story and hoped that the video-guy with Kaori would stick with her til the end but oh well.
Mar 5, 2012 3:50 AM

Aug 2010
I think they probably should have made this a full-fledged parody. After some scenes I just couldn't take it seriously and laughed until the end. It actually managed to entertain me, but in a very different way than it wanted to. 5/10.

I was reminded of Saya no Uta, wonder how Fuminori and Saya would like this place.
Mar 5, 2012 6:01 PM

Apr 2007
TOTALLY BUTCHERED ONE OF MY FAVORITE HORROR MANGA!!!! I'm so disappointed I can't even......

I was excited this was becoming an OVA and expected uncut scenes that followed the story perfectly. All I got was a bastadation of this classic. Just....why?

2/10

Mar 5, 2012 10:08 PM

Sep 2008
What the fuck?
Erika was such a slut, but she has excellent tastes when it comes to lingerie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2012 9:05 PM

Sep 2008
... not brilliant but nevertheless very unique. You don't see those kinds of anime that often, unfortunately/fortunately. whether ppl liked it or not it's gonna stay in our minds forever.

And THAT is why I say good job Gyo.

(though I really want a closer adaptation of the manga in the future)
Mar 10, 2012 11:52 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, yeah. What did I just watched? Art was fine, even great in some places, and I didn't mind the horror bits (though they sexed it up too much), but what was with the plot? It was so all over the place. first I think survival horror in Okinawa, next thing it's about finding the boyfriend, then it just sort of fizzles out at the end with an "Oh well, that's the end of the world! Let's float around on a boat." That last line about her already being used to the smell of death, like it took a zombie apocalypse for her to get over the death of her father, was just too much. OY.
<---made of awesome!
Mar 11, 2012 5:02 PM
Jul 2009
One thing I know for sure is that Kaori was definitely MUCH less of a bitch here than in the manga.

The manga was better, but I really enjoyed this movie/ova none the less. I don't think it's as bad as what everyone is putting it out to be.
UserDeletedMar 11, 2012 5:07 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Screenshots of .Gyo‘

As3d - Nov 10, 2011

13 by MiniMediumJumbo »»
Jul 27, 2023 11:12 AM

» Characters like Erika

2nd_19 - Apr 22, 2021

1 by removed-user »»
Jun 9, 2021 8:47 AM

» Trailer

JanaBananana - Dec 31, 2011

14 by De-JaY »»
Feb 3, 2012 4:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.