Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 14, 2012 4:51 PM

Jul 2007
Anyone else got their intentions to buy the third part completely killed by the mediocrity of the demo?

All their promises of fixing what was wrong with second part were lies.

It feels like a complete rpg-less gears of war-like cover based shooter now. Even more streamlined...

As if the trainwrecks that were Dragon Age II and TORcraft were not enough, this might have completely killed any respect I had for Bioware now...
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 14, 2012 5:00 PM
Apr 2011
Well I don't think it made me as disappointed as you are. But I'll still end up buying it just to see all the different endings. I mean, I have 12 shepards who all made different choice variations so I want to see how things resolve.

At least they let you modify your weapons a little, which is better than what it was for me2. I still think having "thermal clips" for ammo is stupid but whatever. I'm most curious about how much character customization there is for shepards armor. Because it was very limited in ME2 in my opinion.
Feb 14, 2012 5:13 PM

Sep 2007
I'll be pirating it cause lolEA.
Feb 14, 2012 5:25 PM

Jul 2007
Otaku-Ninja8 said:
Well I don't think it made me as disappointed as you are. But I'll still end up buying it just to see all the different endings. I mean, I have 12 shepards who all made different choice variations so I want to see how things resolve.

Want to bet all those choices will matter as much as ME1 to ME2 did...as in, not even one bit?...

I mean, demo already outright made one choice pointless, that being
Feb 14, 2012 7:11 PM

Dec 2010
Bioware and Namco Bandai will wilter and die before From Software's grand clarity.

Success is measured by the willingness to create quality, to know your limits, and to acknowledge other parts of the markets. From Software not only gets high marks on all of these, but they've got been widely acknowledged for having sense.
Feb 14, 2012 7:35 PM

Jun 2009
More mainstream > More shootery?

The demo was good, but it just didn't feel like Mass Effect very much.

Didn't like how close the camera zoomed in but apparently that was done to "keep you in on the action" bleh

Also, you can't holster your gun because it apparently takes up too much memory on the 360 and seeing as the PC version is a port, you can't holster there either.
Feb 14, 2012 7:47 PM

Jul 2007
Jrittmayer said:
PC version is a port.

Its painful on just how obvious that is.

I entered the Graphics menu and I LOL-ed at all the "choices" and the fact that the sliders are not even mouse sensitive(that is you can't drag and hold them).

Its so painfully consol-y that it hurts.

Also...

the kid in air duct...REALLY BIOWARE, REALLY?

Not to mention atrocious predictable dialogue like the last exchange between anderson and sheppard (the whole I am fired thing)...when I can predict what will be said seconds before it happens because I saw many b-list war movies? Very not good.
Feb 14, 2012 7:54 PM

Feb 2005
To be honest, I don't really see the problem with it being less "RPG like".
I mean, let's face it, having at least some choices that matters already makes it more of a RPG than the majority of "RPGs" out there. The only thing we lose out on is inventories and crap, and really, ME1 was pretty silly with it's gigantic repertoire of same-shit weapons and armour with only small stats differences and design.
If you're going to even bother sticking in different weapons, it's by far better to have a limited selection of guns that at least feel and handles differently than a hundred carbon copies that do +5 damage. And the whole customizing deal seems a lot better, not to mention more realistic.
Feb 14, 2012 8:05 PM

Jul 2007
Baman said:
To be honest, I don't really see the problem with it being less "RPG like".

I started Mass Effect because it was rpg hybrid. Whats more it was a Bioware Game. game of Bioware that made Dragon Age:Origins, KOTOR, Baldurs gate.

I could not care less about yet another generic third person cover based shooter.

ME3 is the game of Bioware that made World of TORcraft, DAII2 and ME2...

Baman said:

I mean, let's face it, having at least some choices that matters already makes it more of a RPG than the majority of "RPGs" out there.

Except that Bioware made clear their position on that with their comments on DAII (paraphrasing "the canon is what we say it is!")

And as ME1 to ME2 shown us, none of the choices mattered in any way. Yay, I got an email from someone...so?

Baman said:
The only thing we lose out on is inventories and crap, and really, ME1 was pretty silly with it's gigantic repertoire of same-shit weapons and armour with only small stats differences and design.

So make it useful and improve it instead of streamlining it away and taking away what makes rpg rpg.

Baman said:

If you're going to even bother sticking in different weapons, it's by far better to have a limited selection of guns that at least feel and handles differently than a hundred carbon copies that do +5 damage. And the whole customizing deal seems a lot better, not to mention more realistic.

I could not care less about realism.

If I wanted realism I would go outside, breathe fresh air.

I would rather have more stats and engaging rpg systems combined with tps gameplay, ala me1 but improved than have uber-hd bullet textures with bullets influenced by wind direction...
Feb 14, 2012 8:40 PM

Jun 2007
Not buying it, hated the second one.

First was mediocre at best.

Everything Bioware has put out has been shit since DA:O.
LeondreFeb 14, 2012 10:41 PM
Feb 14, 2012 8:58 PM

Feb 2005
Fai said:
Except that Bioware made clear their position on that with their comments on DAII (paraphrasing "the canon is what we say it is!")

And as ME1 to ME2 shown us, none of the choices mattered in any way. Yay, I got an email from someone...so?
That was just Conrad though wasn't it? And though the lack of the big decisions impacting on ME2, that's not to say they won't now in the end.
I fully expect the decision to save the Rachni, the Council and whether or not to spare the Collector's base will have a real impact here. Of course, if it doesn't I'll be pretty pissed, but it's too early to say anything now.
So make it useful and improve it instead of streamlining it away and taking away what makes rpg rpg.
Yea, but inventories don't really make something a RPG though, role-playing is perfectly possible without one.
And here you actually create your own character and drag him/her through three games and if not doing much, then at least having an illusion of choice in your decisions through the game. So with that alone it trumps pretty much every recent "RPG" anyways.
I would rather have more stats and engaging rpg systems combined with tps gameplay, ala me1 but improved than have uber-hd bullet textures with bullets influenced by wind direction...
Who's talking about bullet textures, the guns don't even fire bullets do they? The point is to make weapons feel different rather than being all the same shit. Different types of weapons from SMGs to rocket launchers and whatnot, and having the weapons within each class feel different with different clip sizes (Oh wait...), recoil, modification options or secondary fire. And though it was not optimal, ME2 was a lot better with that than ME1, where every other weapon was useless once you got the über rifle with zero overheat or whatever.
But yea, if that's the kind you want then I can see why you're disappointed. I'd really prefer it to be all FPS in terms of battles and RPG in terms of story and interaction.
Feb 15, 2012 12:18 AM
Apr 2011
Fai said:
Otaku-Ninja8 said:

Want to bet all those choices will matter as much as ME1 to ME2 did...as in, not even one bit?...

Wait..what? I thought that choice was just the cannon they used for the demo? In any case, ME3 is going to be the all or nothing game for me as far as my faith in Bioware is concerned. Dont get me wrong, Bioware HAS been making great games(except DA2), but I HATE the direction they've been going in. And since EA came along I can only imagine it'll get worse....well, Bioware wont be known for its RPGs anymore imo.
Feb 15, 2012 1:41 AM

Jul 2007
Otaku-Ninja8 said:
Fai said:
Otaku-Ninja8 said:

Wait..what? I thought that choice was just the cannon they used for the demo? In any case, ME3 is going to be the all or nothing game for me as far as my faith in Bioware is concerned. Dont get me wrong, Bioware HAS been making great games(except DA2), but I HATE the direction they've been going in. And since EA came along I can only imagine it'll get worse....well, Bioware wont be known for its RPGs anymore imo.

Nope....

Feb 15, 2012 2:47 AM

Jan 2011
Last Bioware game I bought was ME2 I'll just be getting my money back by downloading this one, and I know I'll sound terribly sexist for saying this but this is what happens when the game's target audience are women.
Feb 15, 2012 3:26 AM

Jul 2007
JonyJC said:
Last Bioware game I bought was ME2 I'll just be getting my money back by downloading this one, and I know I'll sound terribly sexist for saying this but this is what happens when the game's target audience are women.

Actually ME audience is the 14-16 year old gears of war fanbase from consoles. ME3 so far seems to be tailored for them.
Feb 15, 2012 3:39 AM

Jan 2011
Fai said:
JonyJC said:

Actually ME audience is the 14-16 year old gears of war fanbase from consoles. ME3 so far seems to be tailored for them.

Look at Bioware forums and fanart and you'll see what I mean.
Feb 15, 2012 4:52 AM

Sep 2011
Well first off I didn't like having to get the demo off Origin. I would have rather preferred using steam and not having to download another game manager... Also I had several problems connecting to the EA servers to even PLAY the demo. It kept timing me out (maybe due to the load of people downloading the demo and people trying to play idk), but it was a pain in the ass, then once I got to play it I felt like I had wasted my time. It didn't grab my attention or keep me playing after 25 minutes. Not to mention I guess they just got lazy as hell because the graphics options are pretty much not there. I will be skipping ME3 :/
Feb 15, 2012 5:00 AM

Feb 2012
I like ME more than ME2. But i still think that i will buy ME3.
Feb 15, 2012 12:21 PM

Jun 2009
NyaaManga said:
Well first off I didn't like having to get the demo off Origin. I would have rather preferred using steam and not having to download another game manager... Also I had several problems connecting to the EA servers to even PLAY the demo. It kept timing me out (maybe due to the load of people downloading the demo and people trying to play idk), but it was a pain in the ass, then once I got to play it I felt like I had wasted my time. It didn't grab my attention or keep me playing after 25 minutes. Not to mention I guess they just got lazy as hell because the graphics options are pretty much not there. I will be skipping ME3 :/

Whatever you do DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE ORIGIN DEMO

There have been people reporting that after downloading the demo some of their EA steam games starting not working. Not sure if its confirmed but if it is...Well there goes any chance of me even CONSIDERING on buying games on Origin.
Feb 15, 2012 12:37 PM

Aug 2010
Origin shall never be instaled on my computer, nor is any of my money shall ever be spend on a game with EA tag on it.

I'll try to find ME3 in a cereal box insteat.
Feb 15, 2012 12:38 PM

Sep 2011
I LOVED the demo. It actually made me more excited than I already am. Story looks promising.

Fai said:
Otaku-Ninja8 said:

I think that choice is only made for new players
Fai said:
Anyone else got their intentions to buy the third part completely killed by the mediocrity of the demo?

All their promises of fixing what was wrong with second part were lies.

It feels like a complete rpg-less gears of war-like cover based shooter now. Even more streamlined...

As if the trainwrecks that were Dragon Age II and TORcraft were not enough, this might have completely killed any respect I had for Bioware now...

The demo didn't show us any of the RPG elements. That doesn't mean they don't exist. I trust there will be more in the full game.
Feb 15, 2012 12:58 PM

Jul 2007
Ginkamy said:

The demo didn't show us any of the RPG elements. That doesn't mean they don't exist. I trust there will be more in the full game.

ME2 demo was 100% identical to full game.
DAII demo was 100% identical to full trainwreck.

ME3 demo has shown enough for me to NOT like what I am seeing. its even more streamlined, even more consolized ME2, but without any sort of mass effect feeling. Not its a generic "uber realistic" war movie.

Jrittmayer said:
NyaaManga said:

There have been people reporting that after downloading the demo some of their EA steam games starting not working. Not sure if its confirmed but if it is...Well there goes any chance of me even CONSIDERING on buying games on Origin.

Origin also collects personal information from your pc and scans it. That alone should be a big red light for any smart person to NOT get origin.
Feb 15, 2012 1:12 PM

Jun 2009
Fai said:
Ginkamy said:

ME2 demo was 100% identical to full game.
DAII demo was 100% identical to full trainwreck.

ME3 demo has shown enough for me to NOT like what I am seeing. its even more streamlined, even more consolized ME2, but without any sort of mass effect feeling. Not its a generic "uber realistic" war movie.

Jrittmayer said:
NyaaManga said:

Origin also collects personal information from your pc and scans it. That alone should be a big red light for any smart person to NOT get origin.

The only reason I have Origin even installed is BF3, which btw is a great game, but I almost never want to play it because origin and battlelog make getting into a multiplayer game a chore.

That said, I have Origin installed in a Sandbox on my HDD so FUCK YOU EA.
Feb 15, 2012 7:19 PM

Sep 2008
So after reading everything in this thread. People are bitching about ME3 being exactly the same as the first two games?

anyways what the fuck is wrong with Vega's face? It never moves when he talks, he talks like a ventriloquist's dummy.
JigeroFeb 15, 2012 8:19 PM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Feb 16, 2012 1:50 AM

Jul 2007
Jigero said:
So after reading everything in this thread. People are bitching about ME3 being exactly the same as the first two games?

anyways what the fuck is wrong with Vega's face? It never moves when he talks, he talks like a ventriloquist's dummy.

First game still focused on exploration. It was all about YOU a simple member of flawed race, winding up in galactic secrets of millions of years and exploring it.

Second game was suddenly "hey the bugs, lets kill", having less of ME1 feel.

Third has none of me feel and is pretty much halo/gears of war reskin.

feature wise ME1 had the most although some of them needed fine-tuning.
Bioware instead streamlined it into hell with ME2.

ME3 is EVEN more streamlined.

as for face, thats the only problem you saw? How about fracking 2d sprites in the backgrounds instead of 3d backgrounds? Even the actual 3d backgrounds looking cheap as hell? Or EVERYONE walking like they have a ten feet tall iron pole instead of a spine?

Its Dragon Age II all over again.
AhenshihaelFeb 16, 2012 1:54 AM
Feb 16, 2012 4:20 AM

Sep 2008
Fai said:
First game still focused on exploration.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh god people actually believe this? Exploration was an after thought at best, and ultimately countered the tone of the story. OH NO SAREN IS GONNA DESTROY ALL OF US AT ANY MINUTE! oh but feel free roaming around the same planet with a different texture , infiltrating the exact same bases shooting at unimportant mercs standing in the exact same place for 30 hours.

You can blow through the entire game with out ever needing to explore a damn thing.

It was all about YOU a simple member of flawed race, winding up in galactic secrets of millions of years and exploring it.

Flawed race? oh please, All the other species use reverse racism to describe the humans, They don't like humans because they are so interesting, diverse, driven, motivated and how fast they are taking over everything. Humans are always played up as special snowflakes

and the galactic "secrets" are just extinct race with super technology and the ancient evil awakens. Oh boy this is new and fresh.

Second game was suddenly "hey the bugs, lets kill", having less of ME1 feel.

Third has none of me feel and is pretty much halo/gears of war reskin.

feature wise ME1 had the most although some of them needed fine-tuning.
Bioware instead streamlined it into hell with ME2.

ME3 is EVEN more streamlined.

ME1 and ME2 are more or less the same in quality.

ME1 totally fucked game play but had an interesting atmosphere

in ME1 gear didn't matter at all it was linear as hell and any customizations how ever minute is gone by the time you get Specter Gear.

You never needed to switch guns ever. Any weapon could handle any situation. Lets not forget grenades where totally broken and useless

enemy Ai was brain dead and so was your companions Ai

Skills didn't matter either, you can easily beat the game with out ever using a single skill or placing a single skill point. Not to mention the skills where so convoluted, the changes where so minute it was unnoticeable.

Inventory system was pointless and cumbersome.

and Mako missions where just fluff to waste your time and distract from an other wise short game.

ME 2 actually fixed the game play and fucked the story.

Skills upgrades are now noticeable and the skills are actually useful.

Armor actually has a function while still doing what mods did.

you basically need switch weapon to adapt to different situations

weapons could be changed for different play styles

enemy and companion AI where alot better.

and the difficulty went up alot more.

ME3 doesn't have any less then ME2 if fact it has a little bit more.

as for face, thats the only problem you saw? How about fracking 2d sprites in the backgrounds instead of 3d backgrounds? Even the actual 3d backgrounds looking cheap as hell? Or EVERYONE walking like they have a ten feet tall iron pole instead of a spine?

Its Dragon Age II all over again.

Console games have bad graphics and crappy water effects!? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!

so what? all that shit is in previous MEs,

Also I can care less about that crap, that stuff really it's important at all. But staring at a characters face that looks like it's made of wood when it moves for 30+ hours, is.

Do I think this game is gonna be crap? Heck yes I do, but not for dumb nit picks and faults all the previous games shared.

Mostly this game is gonna be crap because it's obvious more then ever EA is running development like a puppet master.

The pointless multiplayer mode, the pointless Kinect support, throwing in Jessica Chobot , and making every other character voiced by celebrity, was all dumb shit to placate EA and all it's gonna do is distract hefty sums of budget away from what the game needed to be focusing on.

I'm just gonna pirate it to see the endings. Then I'm probably gonna ahve nothing to do with Bioware ever again.
JigeroFeb 16, 2012 5:10 AM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Feb 16, 2012 7:16 AM

Feb 2005
Jigero said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh god people actually believe this? Exploration was an after thought at best, and ultimately countered the tone of the story. OH NO SAREN IS GONNA DESTROY ALL OF US AT ANY MINUTE! oh but feel free roaming around the same planet with a different texture , infiltrating the exact same bases shooting at unimportant mercs standing in the exact same place for 30 hours.
Exactly. Sure, exploring is fun and all (And even more so if the planets were actually interesting), but when it felt out of place with the story's pace in ME1, it would definitely feel completely retarded in ME3. Now ME2 could have had some, and I really think adding in more exploration in the beginning, like collecting clues about the collectors and such, would be the best place to stick in some free roaming and exploration.

And it's all true about the equipment being nearly useless, you just ended up grabbing a decent rifle and gunning through the game, mindlessly swapping it for whatever new stuff you found that's statistically better, beside that everything was completely the same shit. Would have been better if they had shaken things up a bit like Borderlands did, with the endless line of reskinned different stats weapon were broken up by surprises like grenade launching shotguns and stuff. But failing that, a smaller selection of actually different weapons is definitely preferable.
As for the skills, I've played Soldier through both games so far with no trouble and hardly even using weapon powers, though more so in ME2 at least.
Feb 16, 2012 8:30 AM

Jul 2007
Baman said:
Jigero said:
Exactly. Sure, exploring is fun and all (And even more so if the planets were actually interesting), but when it felt out of place with the story's pace in ME1, it would definitely feel completely retarded in ME3. Now ME2 could have had some, and I really think adding in more exploration in the beginning, like collecting clues about the collectors and such, would be the best place to stick in some free roaming and exploration.

And it's all true about the equipment being nearly useless, you just ended up grabbing a decent rifle and gunning through the game, mindlessly swapping it for whatever new stuff you found that's statistically better, beside that everything was completely the same shit. Would have been better if they had shaken things up a bit like Borderlands did, with the endless line of reskinned different stats weapon were broken up by surprises like grenade launching shotguns and stuff. But failing that, a smaller selection of actually different weapons is definitely preferable.
As for the skills, I've played Soldier through both games so far with no trouble and hardly even using weapon powers, though more so in ME2 at least.

Thats why I despise the "SAVE THE EARTH NOW" Cliche.

I would rather Bioware took page from Dragon Age Origins(last decent bioware game and a masterpiece) and did the reaper invasion as second or third act - you go through galaxy building up forces, exploring info about protheans and reapers, etc, uncovering secrets, till the reaper fleet arrives.

The very idea that it takes more than five seconds for reapers to eradicate earth is outrageously stupid.

Useless? Did not feel like that. I loved looting and equipping different weapons in me1, if there was no loot and rpg parts, I most likely would not have picked up ME1 at all. I loved equipping different armors, even if stats did not differ that much, as well as different weapons. Acquiring, buying, finding, modifying. That was half the game right there. a huge part i immensely enjoyed.

So what does DLCware do? Instead of improving loot and items system they remove it. (They did the same with Mako, which was an awesome idea, lacking just a wee little bit of polish)

I despised DAII for loot restrictions(you could not equip your party member armors) and I do not see why should ME2/3 get off the hook for the same downside.
Feb 16, 2012 9:23 AM

Feb 2005
Fai said:
Thats why I despise the "SAVE THE EARTH NOW" Cliche.

I would rather Bioware took page from Dragon Age Origins(last decent bioware game and a masterpiece) and did the reaper invasion as second or third act - you go through galaxy building up forces, exploring info about protheans and reapers, etc, uncovering secrets, till the reaper fleet arrives.
Yea, I can agree with that. I also hoped that's what they'd do before the first trailers surfaced, like, give you some big preliminary attack or something to herald the Repaer's approach and then you dick around exploring planets for useful Prothean relics and pewpew (Inside the area where the non Council factions hold up for example, or in Geth space) until you finally roll out in a hectic series of missions to defend the earth as the bogies attack.

But the fact that it takes a lot of time for them to nuke us is not stupid at all, they've already foreshadowed that since ME1, clearly showing evidence that the Reapers are bluffing like shit and spent thousands of years eradicating all life rather than swooping over them in minutes like they claim. The only reason they won at all was probably because they cut of the ME gates those times.
Useless? Did not feel like that. I loved looting and equipping different weapons in me1, if there was no loot and rpg parts, I most likely would not have picked up ME1 at all. I loved equipping different armors, even if stats did not differ that much, as well as different weapons. Acquiring, buying, finding, modifying. That was half the game right there. a huge part i immensely enjoyed.
But how? I mean, you surely can't deny that everything was the same shit in the end. You get a new rifle that's exactly the same as the old one but with +5 damage, so you chuck out the old one and never look back, it's just continuously upgrading, feeling more like general experience gain or something than actual equipment that matters. The only really interesting part was all the mods, but they too had a huge line of +1 versions.
In the end it's not like you cared about what equipment you had, you just got kept the best ones you had at any given time, stuck in the best updates of the mods and omni-gel'd the rest. And that's why I thought ME 2 was so vastly superior in that each weapon had a bit of personality, feeling more like actual weapons different from each other than some lame +1 reskin.
Feb 16, 2012 12:13 PM

Jul 2007
Baman said:

But the fact that it takes a lot of time for them to nuke us is not stupid at all, they've already foreshadowed that since ME1, clearly showing evidence that the Reapers are bluffing like shit and spent thousands of years eradicating all life rather than swooping over them in minutes like they claim. The only reason they won at all was probably because they cut of the ME gates those times

Never got that feeling from ME1.

In ME1, for me, Reapers were basic the equivalent of cthulhu. It took a combined forces of pretty much ALL council races to take down one squid. The only reason I reckon on why it might have lasted longer was that Protheans fought back.

As for eradication : We discovered nukes how long ago? 40-50 years form OUR time. Reapers, the million year old robot cthulhu race can't be bothered to drop a few millions of nuclear warheads on us? or have not developed something, oh you know, more destructive?

It was a race which was fucking around with teleportation and other dimensions. Don't tell they do not have competent weapons.

(talking about that I find it ridiculous that ME2 retconed ME1's idea of Reapers being locked out in another dimension and just made them appear in this one out of nowhere)

Whats more ridiculous is that after you take your stroll to the galaxy, the earth will still most likely be standing and defending itself just in time for you to valiantly march in....that make sit even more insanely stupid.

But how? I mean, you surely can't deny that everything was the same shit in the end.

They looked different. They had different manufacturers and had a huge RP-value

You get a new rifle that's exactly the same as the old one but with +5 damage, so you chuck out the old one and never look back, it's just continuously upgrading, feeling more like general experience gain or something than actual equipment that matters.

and how is that bad? its progression. I, the generic human soldier Sheppard, go through the galaxy scavenge stuff i like and improve my equip on the run, selling the older stuff. IT made sense, added more immersion, made it more rpg-y.

Searching for better stuff, selling worse stuff, etc.

In the end it's not like you cared about what equipment you had, you just got kept the best ones you had at any given time, stuck in the best updates of the mods and omni-gel'd the rest.

And how is that bad?

Okay the complaint of stuff being useless - then why did Bioware not, oh I don't know, IMPROVE and perfect the inventory and equipment system instead of streamlining it away into more third-person-shootery style of equip, making it entirely lifeless experience. ?
Feb 16, 2012 12:49 PM

Feb 2005
Fai said:
Never got that feeling from ME1.

In ME1, for me, Reapers were basic the equivalent of cthulhu. It took a combined forces of pretty much ALL council races to take down one squid. The only reason I reckon on why it might have lasted longer was that Protheans fought back.
Well, that Protehan AI thing said it, how it was the cutting off the ME gates and conquest of the Citadel that sealed their fate, so the Reapers could spend centuries or millennia to whittle away the survivors, using them as slave labour to extract resources and whatnot before leaving.

And we've already seen how the Reapers wants to make a human Reaper, so why would the nuke us all into oblivion, then they can't harvest us.
Never heard about other dimension or teleporting though, they were in darkspace, which as far as I recall was described as beyond the edges of all known space where there are no stars and crap, but still in this dimension.

Most of them were merely reskins though, you only had a few truly different ones like the Geth plasma rifle. And I don't see any RP value in them either.
and how is that bad? its progression. I, the generic human soldier Sheppard, go through the galaxy scavenge stuff i like and improve my equip on the run, selling the older stuff. IT made sense, added more immersion, made it more rpg-y.
I don't get how it makes sense though. I mean, why would you even find all the low level weapons anywhere if there were already vastly improved versions floating about? The only reason people still use AK 47s, 50cal Brownings and MG42s today is because they are still highly effective weapons more than able to go toe to toe with modern guns. But in ME, there is actually a marked difference in damage output between the various guns. Outside of the specialised Spectre equipment at least, the amount of +1 guns don't make any sense at all. Now, modifications and ammo types that I can buy into though.
This kind of thing might make sense in a fantasy setting where you might have legendary magical weapons and such, but when we're talking mass produced consumer weapons it doesn't, unless they give you a limited selection of special prototypes or somesuch at least. So definitely immersion breaking in this kind of setting as far as I'm concerned.
Okay the complaint of stuff being useless - then why did Bioware not, oh I don't know, IMPROVE and perfect the inventory and equipment system instead of streamlining it away into more third-person-shootery style of equip, making it entirely lifeless experience. ?
Well, maybe they agree with me then and thought it was better like this? I mean, where do you even keep all the crap with you when you go out in the field and can suddenly swap in armour and weapons anywhere? Now that's immersion breaking to the extreme. Makes so much more sense to just suit up with whatever you need on the ship before you head out into the field. Now, if they were to improve it though, I'd add in a more realistic weapons purchase system, allowing you to buy sets of weapons for your entire team from corporations, and then as you spend more money and do missions, being able to sign up for testing new exclusive prototype weapons for them. And of course throw in loads and loads of customization. Would of course have been even better if it was a FPS, thus enabling even more customization that makes a difference like scopes and such.
Then do basically the same thing for the suits and throw in various extra upgrades for that as well.
Feb 16, 2012 1:23 PM
Apr 2011
It seems kind of like you guys are going into "which is better, realistic gameplay or immersive rp?" Like banman said, with being able to switch out armor and guns anywhere on the battlefield, its kinda breaking immersion. On the other hand, I think that is just a norm for almost all RPG gameplay mechanics. I mean look at Skyrim, DA:O, DS, FF, and pretty much every WRPG and JRPG. They all let you carry your loot with you. I do think this is a way better gameplay mechanic because if they dont do that, you get what happens in ME2 and DA2, limited loot and character customization, which for me are big factors for a RPG.

Also I agree with banman about the reapers not trying to wipe out all the races. In ME2 edi suggested that

And as far as all the loot in ME being useless since it was just gunA+1, gunA+4. I prefer to have the option of a bunch of reskined guns and armor since it gives me more variation for my character customization. For example, in DA:O, I never equipped the highest stat swords or armor because I liked the look of some of the lower stat stuff better. This makes no sense in terms of gameplay, but perfect sense in terms of RP.
Feb 16, 2012 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
On another note, played a few hours of the multiplayer with friends last night.

Horde mode much?

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast playing it. But I wonder if we're getting actual story missions in coop.

I like being able to play as other races though, wish you could do that it the main game.
Feb 16, 2012 3:39 PM

Sep 2008
Fai said:

As for eradication : We discovered nukes how long ago? 40-50 years form OUR time. Reapers, the million year old robot cthulhu race can't be bothered to drop a few millions of nuclear warheads on us? or have not developed something, oh you know, more destructive?

It was a race which was fucking around with teleportation and other dimensions. Don't tell they do not have competent weapons.

Since when is it even remotely implied Reapers glass planets? Eden Prime was barely destroyed and most of the destruction was just from age.

The Reapers don't just eradicate they harvest organic tissue to evolve their species and why would they need nukes? They want life to start again on these planets so nuking them is just a dumb idea or doing any major damage to the planets is a dumb idea. on top of that the Reapers live for millenia, they don't need to end the eradication over night, For all we know the eradication process could take the reapers hundreds of years to complete and that's only a moment to them.

(talking about that I find it ridiculous that ME2 retconed ME1's idea of Reapers being locked out in another dimension and just made them appear in this one out of nowhere)

They where never locked out in a different dimension, they where in Dark Space, the area out side the Milky Way. They could just fly here, How do you think Sovereign got here? But that takes a while and you lose the element of surprise and messes up their plan to destroy organics along the vectors they laid out.

So what just because they "looked different" (which they didn't) this is enough for RP?

where as in ME2 They not only looked truly different, they fired differently and had different purposes that allowed you to play how you want. Yet this some how is less RP?

Searching for better stuff, selling worse stuff, etc.

But ME2 had progression and progression that mattered, You still have to buy and research upgrades for you weapons, While it was still as Linear as ME1 it actually was noticeable. a fully upgraded SMG in ME 2 behaved very differently and expanded it's utility from an default SMG. There was no way to tell in ME1 if a Spectre AR was any better then the AR you start off with because enemies where scaled to your level so it made the stat gains and any sense of progression pointless.

And how is that bad?

It's bad because it's a useless time sink, Your just wasting the players time on bullshit that is unnecessary

yes because sitting there turning every thing in to Omni-Gel for 15 minutes is such a experience so full of life. There are plenty of games that don't use inventory systems and I don't hear anyone bitching about them.
JigeroFeb 17, 2012 1:26 PM
Feb 17, 2012 12:35 PM

Jul 2007
this pretty much covers the tragedy that is the technical side of me3.

The story and gameplay bad sides were clear for longer, but this just takes the cake.
ME3 = DAII.
Feb 17, 2012 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
There must be a reason why EA is giving away a free copy of BF3 when you pre-order ME3 on origin........ pretty sure PC is getting a straight up console port.......
Feb 17, 2012 1:35 PM

Sep 2008
Fai said:
this pretty much covers the tragedy that is the technical side of me3.

The story and gameplay bad sides were clear for longer, but this just takes the cake.
ME3 = DAII.

Technical issues in a Bioware Game!?

I find it amazing people are only discovering this now.
Feb 17, 2012 9:17 PM

Jun 2009
Leondre said:
Not buying it, hated the second one.

First was mediocre at best.

Everything Bioware has put out has been shit since DA:O.

likes ponies...hates mass effect 2

THE FUCK
Feb 18, 2012 3:01 AM

Jan 2009
I heard there is co-op cool ;)
Feb 18, 2012 3:19 AM

Jul 2007
Another great demonstration of how low me3 franchise got. Quite funny too

jefba said:
I heard there is co-op cool ;)

Wrong. There's a Counter-Strike-y multiplayer arena.
Feb 18, 2012 3:44 AM

May 2009
I was a bit disappointed with the Mass Effect 3 demo for the PS3, particularly because it was so damn choppy - especially during cutscenes. They could at least optimize the game to make it run well. And then there's Origin to play online, really? Oh well, I wasn't planning on playing multiplayer either way.
Feb 18, 2012 5:13 AM

Feb 2005
Fai said:
Wat. Have you ever played CS?
Feb 18, 2012 6:55 AM

Jul 2007
Baman said:
Fai said:
Wat. Have you ever played CS?

NO and I thankfully will never ever ever ever will. Commercial FPS/TPS games like gears of war, battlefield, cs, fallout3 and etc, are like pop music. I would rather ignore they exist.

Games with RPG elements get away from being generic, for example; Deus Ex franchise(minus the nonexistent second part of it).

I'd rather spend my time meaningfully in rpg with all the numbers and statistics than pointlessly shoot at stuff from covers.

EDIT: OH GOD....I just stumbled through an accurate plot spoilers for me3 game....Bioware...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS....
AhenshihaelFeb 18, 2012 7:12 AM
Feb 18, 2012 12:09 PM

Aug 2010
^Saying Fallout 3 has no RPG elements
Feb 18, 2012 12:30 PM
Apr 2011
stAtic91 said:
I was a bit disappointed with the Mass Effect 3 demo for the PS3, particularly because it was so damn choppy - especially during cutscenes. They could at least optimize the game to make it run well. And then there's Origin to play online, really? Oh well, I wasn't planning on playing multiplayer either way.

I know eh? Im actually going to wait a month or two before buying ME3 just to see if there are any issues with it like Skyrim. But ya, it better run a lot smoother for the real thing.

@Maal: LOL
Feb 18, 2012 2:14 PM
Feb 2010
Fai said:
NO and I thankfully will never ever ever ever will. Commercial FPS/TPS games like gears of war, battlefield, cs, fallout3 and etc, are like pop music. I would rather ignore they exist.

Games with RPG elements get away from being generic, for example; Deus Ex franchise(minus the nonexistent second part of it).
How in the hell can you place Fallout 3 in the same category as the others?
Feb 18, 2012 3:59 PM

Sep 2008
-CS a "commercial FPS"

-Fallout 3 "no RPG elements"

-can't form his own arguments unless he's patrioting 4chan conspiracy theory

Okay now that Fai has established him self a moron can we just ignore him now?
JigeroFeb 18, 2012 4:02 PM
Feb 18, 2012 5:42 PM

Jul 2007
nerb said:
Fai said:

How in the hell can you place Fallout 3 in the same category as the others?

Let me make this clear: I have no respect for Fallout 3. ITs a huge straying away from franchises roots and rpg parts have a miniscule impact.

In essence it suffers from same problems as ME to MEII to MEIII did - straying away from core gameplay elements, loss of game's atmosphere and quality, mainstreamisation and commercialisation.

If its rpg, then STALKER is surely an rpg too.

Fallout is a shooter with rpg elements. Nothing more.

Jigero said:
-CS a "commercial FPS"

-Fallout 3 "no RPG elements"

-can't form his own arguments unless he's patrioting 4chan conspiracy theory

Okay now that Fai has established him self a moron can we just ignore him now?

And from this we can deduce that Jigero is a troll and does not HAVE an opinion worth to form arguments about. Congrats on being ignored completely.
Feb 18, 2012 7:35 PM

Sep 2008
Fai said:

Let me make this clear: I have no respect for Fallout 3. ITs a huge straying away from franchises roots and rpg parts have a miniscule impact.

In essence it suffers from same problems as ME to MEII to MEIII did - straying away from core gameplay elements, loss of game's atmosphere and quality, mainstreamisation and commercialisation.

If its rpg, then STALKER is surely an rpg too.

Fallout is a shooter with rpg elements. Nothing more.

Ignoring the fact that. Fallout 3 has Stat points, level ups, gear customization, skills, damage rolls, hit rolls, skill rolls, decision making, inventory, free roaming exploration...

You know all the things you desperately claim makes ME1 an RPG and more? ...... Yet some how Fallout is less of an RPG then ME1, and you say my opinion has no worth? At least I can keep my arguments straight and not contradict myself.

And from this we can deduce that Jigero is a troll and does not HAVE an opinion worth to form arguments about. Congrats on being ignored completely.

Translation:
"Bawwwww someone on the internet presented competent arguments, which I've failed to counter and pointed out my idiotic nonsense they must be a TROLL!"
JigeroFeb 18, 2012 9:15 PM
Feb 18, 2012 8:42 PM

Jun 2008
I mention this everywhere.

I do not like the speed up combat.

As for uselessness of saved games, I think whatever people might complain about it, it's still a big up from say, every other game out there. ME is the first series of games I played that made you carry over saved games, even though none of the stuff carried from from ME1 to ME2 was particularly interesting, mostly in the forms of mails and brief appearances.

Even from reading the mails, I feel more of a sense of immersion.

Other than that, I'm not going to read too much into ME3. I recently stopped watching more videos from what ME3 have, it just spoils the initial fun out of it, imo.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

45 by RobertsahDHDA »»
47 minutes ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 3 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
11 hours ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.