Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 12, 2012 2:45 AM

Jul 2010

Following up from this poll, this thread serves to organize our simulwatches.
What's a "simulwatch"? We simply watch the same anime while text-chatting about it. Everyone is invited to join us.

To avoid confusion due to timezones and daylight saving time let's all use UTC.
This is the current UTC time. Here you can convert time between your timezone and UTC (first choice in the drop-down list).

Feel free to propose airing shows, older shows, specials, movies, etc. I'll keep the first post up-to-date.
UuhJan 26, 2016 2:34 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2012 4:57 AM

Dec 2011
Some of my opinions:
1. we should watch series and not a movie, its pretty hard that all of us will be available at same time and then if its for a longer period of time its even harder
2. the series should be finished and not ongoing, so if it goes well and we like it we then could continue with the series and have a party at the end :)
3. shorter the series the better (cause of 2.)
4. maybe we could pick series and only watch it together, so it shouldn't be series that were really interested in so we don't cheat ;)

My proposal that goes against 2 of my point(3. and 4.) but oh well I guess I would watch it 2 time anyway.
Texhnolyze
Feb 12, 2012 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
I agree with what you wrote Sheepkun, but then again I say that if a small group of people want to watch ongoing, then they could do so as well. It doesn't mean that we will all watch in one big team. We can, but smaller teams can work simultaneously too.

I'm in for Shippuuden, I suggest we watch it on Friday, since it comes out around that time subbed. But we could have a more flexible schedule if you want and we could watch it sometime between Friday till Sunday night, depending on which day most people can each week. I don't think I can wait to watch it after Sunday though.. :P

The times that I would be usually available are UTC: 20:00 - 22:00, that means I could use some of that in between time to watch.
Sometimes on Saturday or on Sunday I might be available from earlier on, so that is maybe around UTC 16:00 and on, but that depends.

I'm in for Mirai Nikki as well.. I must catch up first, but I can do that.
Same hours I'm available.

I want to watch Texhnolyze, so I'm in for that if it is decided.
Other suggestions of mine would be one of these:
Ghost Hound
Boogiepop Phantom
Ergo Proxy
Bokurano
Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei

That doesn't mean I have time for ALL that at once. But they are the ones that I want to watch and I think that they would be fun to watch with others. I prefer the scary ones. I really like watching scary stuff with others. ^.^ Also I warn you, as I said before, my reactions while watching will be totally random.

Oh, also from the airing, I'm in for Bleach as well if anyone is interested in that.
That's it for now. Waiting to hear more suggestions.
JusticeUndoneFeb 12, 2012 5:28 AM
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Feb 12, 2012 6:12 AM

Jul 2010
I updated the fist post.

oneAngrySheep said:
1. we should watch series and not a movie, its pretty hard that all of us will be available at same time and then if its for a longer period of time its even harder
That is true, but it doesn't have to be all of us, some people here are from the same country and might thus have compatible free time.

oneAngrySheep said:
2. the series should be finished and not ongoing, so if it goes well and we like it we then could continue with the series and have a party at the end :)
The problem I see with finished series is that everyone has his peace. I, for example, tend to watch one or two complete series in a single weekend while other people take weeks to do the same. With ongoing series the peace is more or less set for everybody.

JusticeUndone said:
Other suggestions of mine would be one of these: [...]
I take it you would watch them at 20:00 - 22:00 too?
Feb 12, 2012 7:05 AM

Dec 2011
LazYSlackeR said:
I updated the fist post.

oneAngrySheep said:
That is true, but it doesn't have to be all of us, some people here are from the same country and might thus have compatible free time.

oneAngrySheep said:
The problem I see with finished series is that everyone has his peace. I, for example, tend to watch one or two complete series in a single weekend while other people take weeks to do the same. With ongoing series the peace is more or less set for everybody.

Yeah that's why I put my fourth point we shouldn't cheat. The ongoing series suffer the same problem unless we start with the last one aired but then who watched all of them.
Of all currently airing series I only watch Naruto so unless we would watch him I would have no idea what was happening(or maybe that would be the charm).

LazYSlackeR said:

JusticeUndone said:

Yeah, I usually go bouldering at that time but its not strict schedule so I can skip it or go some other day.
Feb 12, 2012 9:05 AM

Jan 2011
some nice choices!
count me in for all of the finished airing series, a few in particular esp. but just got me done for all those.

given everyone else's time constraints, the only time i would be available that jives with yours would be on (most) weekends. my schedule during the week just wouldn't work unless it was no earlier than 22:00.

btw might i add, you've done an awesome job with this lazyslacker (might have to change your name after all :p ) you've put this whole thing together so quickly it's hard to believe. fantastic job
Feb 12, 2012 9:36 AM

Aug 2009
haha I think Bill is right, your name lazyslacker is just so contradicting, maybe on purpose? :P

Anyway, yes, to answer your question, if I'm not too tired or have tons of stuff to do, 20:00-22:00 would be my times (thai is 10-midnight my time).
I think I can manage two shows per week, Naruto and something else.
Feb 12, 2012 9:50 AM

Jul 2010
oneAngrySheep said:
LazYSlackeR said:
oneAngrySheep said:

Yeah that's why I put my fourth point we shouldn't cheat. The ongoing series suffer the same problem unless we start with the last one aired but then who watched all of them.
Of all currently airing series I only watch Naruto so unless we would watch him I would have no idea what was happening(or maybe that would be the charm).
I'm not going to re-watch 250 Naruto eps. and some people here do keep up weekly. That being said you are welcome even if you don't know what's going on, it's your choice.

oneAngrySheep said:
LazYSlackeR said:

JusticeUndone said:

Yeah, I usually go bouldering at that time but its not strict schedule so I can skip it or go some other day.
That question was intended for JusticeUndone :P I'll set you to 20:00 - 22:00 too, but do tell me if you prefer a different time.

billmurderface said:
given everyone else's time constraints, the only time i would be available that jives with yours would be on (most) weekends. my schedule during the week just wouldn't work unless it was no earlier than 22:00.
I'll put you as "weekend" for now, but you can just write the time you prefer, maybe someone with a compatible schedule will appear later...

Thanks for the compliments :)
Feb 12, 2012 2:13 PM

Dec 2011
LazYSlackeR said:
I'm not going to re-watch 250 Naruto eps. and some people here do keep up weekly. That being said you are welcome even if you don't know what's going on, it's your choice.

That's why I say we should try to agree on a series that everybody is up to date, or start a new one, so its most fun for as many people as possible.
Its ok to watch Naruto if we're all up to date, but if for example 6 of us know what's happening but the 7th had no idea it kind of sucks for him no?
Thats why shorted series are better, even if somebody joins later he can catch up.

It's not a big of a problem(cause everybody watches Naruto anyway) but something to keep in mind for future if more people would like to join - if this gets going that is :)
Feb 12, 2012 3:39 PM

Aug 2009
oneA, you're right about what you're saying. But as I said there could be smaller teams of people, or just two people watching a certain show. It doesn't mean that we have to find all one series to watch. That wouldn't be so easy to do.
In any case, I see there's a lot of interest for Texhnolyze and Boogiepop Phantom.
Should we start thinking about these for starters?

Btw I'm free now. Whoever hasn't watched the latest Shippuuden episode and wants to, we can watch it now.
Feb 12, 2012 4:11 PM

Jan 2011
if that offer is still on the table justice and you haven't already watched it, i'm down. even though i haven't watched naruto before, it would still be fun. lemme know
Feb 13, 2012 2:45 AM

Jul 2010
JusticeUndone said:
In any case, I see there's a lot of interest for Texhnolyze and Boogiepop Phantom.
Should we start thinking about these for starters?
That's fine with me, but we haven't agreed on what chat to use yet.
Should we try to convince each other of which one is the best? Should we have a fight to the death? Will you abuse your position as the boss to impose your choice? :P
Feb 13, 2012 3:40 AM

Aug 2009
Bill, I didn't see your message on time, I'm sorry. But we could discuss about starting a new anime soon. If you were to watch the latest Shippuuden ep, it would be such a HUGE spoiler for you if you decide to start the series. It was a great episode that explained a lot of things of the past.

Lazy, you're putting ideas in my head. Very tempting ideas.. ^.^ are you sure about that? hahaha mmmm ok, so since I'm a nice little girl, let's just talk about the options calmly and see where it gets. If I don't like the outcome I can't guarantee about anything! muahaha. *evil laughter*
Feb 13, 2012 5:12 AM

Jul 2010
The three networks proposed were IRC, XMPP and MSN.
Some considerations about them (underlined the ones I think are most important for our project):

• IRC is the one that scales better with BIG chatrooms, but we'll never have thousands of participants, so we don't care.
  • In Both IRC and XMPP you can create permanent chatrooms (channels and MUCs) with moderators, a topic, etc. How does it work on MSN? Can you create such a thing or do you need to invite people to have them join your conversation?
  • XMPP and MSN handle one on one chats better than IRC (you have presence, status, people recognize you even if you change nick).
  • MSN and XMPP also do VOIP, for now we'll use text, but who knows in the future...
  • AFAIK the official MSN client is the only one that completely supports said network, the others are always playing catch-up. IRC has a lot of clients to choose from. XMPP has a bazillion of them.
  • XMPP supports offline messanging, in IRC you have to use bots, in MSN I have no idea.

In favor of XMPP:

• You don't get spammed or stalked as anyone needs your authorization to contact you or even see your status.
  • When you connect to a MUC you receive the last 20 lines that have been written, so you can catch up if you join late.
  • Let's support open standards.
  • You can sign up from multiple clients at the same time.
  • It has transports (even tho they are not perfect...).
  • It supports encryption (OpenPGP and OTR)
  • It's still getting improved.

This post was brought you by XMPP advocacy! Lol.

PS: maybe this was better posted in the other thread? You can move it if you think so...
PPS: while I was writing this MSN got ahead.
LazYSlackeRFeb 13, 2012 5:16 AM
Feb 13, 2012 5:17 AM

Jan 2011
JusticeUndone said:
muahaha. *evil laughter*

there it is again...I KNEW IT!!

but it's fine, besides i wouldn't mind if there was spoiler, i dont see myself being a regular watcher. nothing against the show, just that...it's at how many episodes now?! @@
anyways, it was really just a chance to try this thing out, and to chat with my favorite greek club creator of awesomeness! :P
Feb 13, 2012 5:47 AM

Sep 2009
Oh shi--- looks like i picked the wrong option from the poll in the other thread... i'm easily convinced, so there's no need for that evil laughter, ok? ;)

About the schedule, i have 1-2 exams a month so i would be unavailable for about a week every 4 because i freak out for exams (i.e. now until friday), otherwise i'm online from 22:00 to 24:30 UTC every day (UTC+1 = GMT+1, right?).
Considering everybody is interested in Naruto (i never watched it) or Texhnolyze and Boogiepop Phantom (which i already watched but i'm not dying to rewatch; they also have some of the most complicated plots around) i could just wait and see if anyone wants to see a happy movie/ova/special, because it would be a lot easier for me. Otherwise i'll stay tuned and jump in as soon as i see you're going to watch something i'm interested into :)
Megpoid-CowardlyMontblancsigsecond05defs
Art by: akka
Feb 13, 2012 5:56 AM

Jan 2011
@cat

i def agree about an option for a short series or OVA
Feb 13, 2012 6:35 AM

Jul 2010
Those looking for something short, what about this:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1072/Sweat_Punch

5 eps. 11 min. each...
Feb 13, 2012 6:39 AM

Jan 2011
that does look intriguing lazy...i'm down if anyone else is
Feb 13, 2012 9:44 AM

Jul 2010
billmurderface said:
that does look intriguing lazy...i'm down if anyone else is
Agreed. I added it to the list. We could watch it during this weekend (February 18-19).
Feb 13, 2012 10:50 AM

Dec 2011
+1 from me on the Sweat Punch

For chat I'm all for IRC cause I don't have to register for it(or Skype I already have Skype acc).
If you don't have to reg for XMPP then that is fine with me too. Never heard of the thing before.
Feb 13, 2012 2:04 PM

Jul 2010
oneAngrySheep said:
+1 from me on the Sweat Punch
Added.

oneAngrySheep said:
For chat I'm all for IRC cause I don't have to register for it(or Skype I already have Skype acc).
If you don't have to reg for XMPP then that is fine with me too.
I never really looked into using XMPP without registering, you made me curious, so I checked around. Theoretically it's supported, but you'd have to find a client and a server that actually let you do it and still you probably wouldn't be able to contact anyone outside of that server as it's considered bad practice.
If I may ask, don't you register your nick on IRC? I've seen people pretend to be someone else, "steal" nicks and play pranks. So I always did...

oneAngrySheep said:
Never heard of the thing before.
Yeah, well, people usually don't know the name of the protocols they use.
Feb 13, 2012 5:53 PM

Aug 2009
I'm in for that short anime thing for the weekend! lol
I usually use MSN, but if you tell me what to download and the basic know how I can chat in everything. :P

Btw.. if anyone is up to, we could watch something in the week. Besides the weekend schedule I would like there to be a more loose viewing inside the week?
These don't have to be written anywhere, they could be more random. Like me coming here saying I want too watch xyz anime and then if someone else wants to at that time, it would be fine. Ofc ourse there will be a more standard schedule but I think it would be nice if we could just pop in here when we have time and see if anyone else is in the mood of simulwatching at that time.
Not to make things more confusing, it's just an idea, so if you think it won't work then don't stress over it much. :)
I read what I wrote and it sounds weird, sorry for that, it's 4am.. xD hope it makes sense.
Feb 13, 2012 5:59 PM

Aug 2009
oh btw sorry for the double post, but tomorrow I want to watch episode 6 of Another that came out today. If anyone is in the mood for scary stuff let me know! ;)
I will be available around 20:00 - 24:00 UTC. (that is 10pm - 2am my time)
Feb 13, 2012 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
i'm down...2200 to 2400 utc for me...and same goes for the "i can dl anything as long as i get the basics" thing. lemme know :D
Feb 13, 2012 9:05 PM

Apr 2011
never seen any of these anime's :p
Feb 14, 2012 1:48 AM

Jul 2010
JusticeUndone said:
I'm in for that short anime thing for the weekend! lol

Added you too.

JusticeUndone said:
Btw.. if anyone is up to, we could watch something in the week. Besides the weekend schedule I would like there to be a more loose viewing inside the week? [...]
We can do that, it all depends on whether people check this thread regularly.

JusticeUndone said:
oh btw sorry for the double post, but tomorrow I want to watch episode 6 of Another that came out today. If anyone is in the mood for scary stuff let me know! ;)
I will be available around 20:00 - 24:00 UTC. (that is 10pm - 2am my time)

billmurderface said:
i'm down...2200 to 2400 utc for me...

I don't really like Another, but I want to try this thing so I think I'll join too. We "meet" at 22:05?

bbmello said:
never seen any of these anime's :p

All the better! It's boring to re-watch stuff :D

Right now the poll is:
1 IRC
1 XMPP
2 MSN
4 whatever

MSN is slightly ahead, but people here keep saying "I'll use whatever, just tell me" and we are going nowhere. Who makes the final decision? Should I have my way?
I don't want to sound too pushy, but I'm going to to leave here a couple of links anyway...

I use Psi+, but if you also use other networks Pidgin is probably better.
You can use your gmail account or create one at jabber.org (or jabber.ru or jabber.ccc.de etc. here is an incomplete list)
If you need a tutorial for Psi or Pidgin.
Feb 14, 2012 1:57 AM

Sep 2009
Count me in for Sweat Punch on February 18-19 from 22 to 24 UTC.
I'm busy till friday, so please let me know what to use by then ("commercial" name please, i don't know a thing about protocols).
--edit--
Damn i'm slow :(
I'd like better something i don't have to register to with a mail, i have like 8 mails and 20-30 accounts around so the less the merrier. I'm sure there are browser based irc versions (i used them) so if you could provide a link to one it would be great (sorry i used them like 2 years ago and i lost them) in case you choose irc.
My first choice is: anything browser based (i mean client, so everyone else can use their own client of choice if they want; i.e. web based irc for me, who wants uses mirc/whatever).
2nd: mirc but i don't remember how to use it
3rd: msn
CatpawFeb 14, 2012 2:09 AM
Feb 14, 2012 2:17 AM

Jul 2010
Catpaw said:
Count me in for Sweat Punch on February 18-19 from 22 to 24 UTC.
Done.

It's not an email and you don't need an email to use it.
There are browser-based clients for XMPP too (but you need an account anyway).
https://imo.im/
https://www.meebo.com/messenger
https://jwchat.org/

IRC would be my second choice too.
Feb 14, 2012 2:43 AM

Sep 2009
Thanks, the third one looks easy to use and the registration just requires nick+password. I'll keep that in mind, now let's see what the others want to use.
Feb 14, 2012 3:12 AM

Jul 2010
Catpaw said:
the registration just requires nick+password.
It's that way for everyone, an email is never required. It's just that your nickname will look like an email address, but that doesn't mean it is an email address.

By the way, if we choose IRC another question arises... Which IRC network? XD
Feb 14, 2012 12:23 PM

Aug 2009
ok, it's 20:22 UTC now. I will be available at around 22:00. If anyone is interested to watch Another episode 6 with me at that time, let me know. ;)
Feb 14, 2012 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
I'm interested. Where do we meet to chat? I don't feel comfortable imposing on others, so I'll just pass this responsibility to the boss...
Feb 14, 2012 1:17 PM

Aug 2009
lulz. :P msn would be nice.. but then again I can try one of the rest you wrote about. I'll go check them out in a few.

I'll write it on the main page again, so if anyone else is interested we can decide all together.
Feb 14, 2012 1:27 PM

Jul 2010
Re-reading the thread IRC seems like the only one we are (almost?) all familiar with, but choose whatever you feel like, we can always change it if we don't like it...
Feb 14, 2012 1:55 PM

Aug 2009
I'm used in using Msn. I like putting emoticons and all. But I don't mind much, so I can try everything. Just let me know what I have to do (download etc) , cause I haven't used anything else in ages.
Feb 14, 2012 2:07 PM

Jul 2010
It already 22, at least for tonight let's settle for IRC.
If you don't know hot to use it you can just go here http://rizon.net/chat
Choose a username.
set the channel as #JustForTonight
press connect.
Feb 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Aug 2009
Ok, sure I'll be there in 10'. My fav program on TV is still on, but it's almost over. :)
Feb 14, 2012 2:18 PM

Jan 2011
be there in a min
Feb 14, 2012 2:20 PM

Aug 2009
ok me too. 2 mins. :P
Feb 14, 2012 2:35 PM

Jan 2011
ok i totally got kicked from the rizon thing and cant get on again
Feb 14, 2012 4:46 PM

Apr 2010
I would like to join in on the fun too! I just feel a little lost at the moment so could someone guide me in the right direction please? :)

Also I'm down for watching anything
El Psy Congroo
Feb 14, 2012 5:17 PM

Jan 2011
hey sorry man, we already finished up...but next time you should check in ahead of time, we'll def do it again soon
Feb 14, 2012 5:19 PM

Aug 2009
yes, Kruisnek. You just have to have an Msn account and that's pretty much all. Check the anime we are planning to watch and also visit this thread a lot to keep up with updates on news. ;) We'll be glad to have you!
Feb 14, 2012 5:34 PM

Apr 2010
Cool its been a while since I last logged in so I'm trying to play "catch up". Is there a show I should start watching so I'll be at the same point with both of you? Here is my email so you can add me to MSN :)
eric.p.pare@gmail.com
El Psy Congroo
Feb 14, 2012 6:24 PM

Aug 2009
We just watched Another episode 6 tonight. It's a thriller kind of show, so if you like that type of shows you can watch that up to that.
We'll be also watching some Shippuuden and Bleach if you're interested and starting a new short anime series in the weekends. You can check the first post where there is a sort of plan there. Oh, also I added you! ;) I'm nataly, so you can find me.
Feb 15, 2012 4:15 AM

Jul 2010
Kruisnek said:
Also I'm down for watching anything
Anything? Are you sure?
Actually I kind of want so watch it now. I want to see why it's so bad XD

Even though I don't really like the show, watching Another was amusing.
We tried IRC, but the web client two of us were using had some shortcomings and JusticeUndone missed her MSN, so we just joined her. It took us 3 hours, but somehow we manged XD
Can someone knowledgeable about MSN tell me if there are persistent chat rooms or not?
Feb 15, 2012 4:31 AM

Aug 2009
Lol on the description that was very accurate though! :PP

Msn doesn't have chat rooms, but we can create a group where we can put all the people interested to watch in it. Everytime we open up Msn we can open that certain window and it will show who member is online and who is not. I could try and create that group later and see if that works.
I was once part of such a group when I was an active vidder on YT. We called it vidding elite and many good vidders were in it. We had like 20 members and you could log in anytime you wanted and check who is in.
Feb 15, 2012 12:41 PM

Apr 2010
@Lazy: Well just about anything but that link seemed a little interesting so I'll give that one a shot =]

@Justice: Doesn't seem like I got your request.
El Psy Congroo
Feb 15, 2012 12:45 PM

Aug 2011
i can do something this weekend, although my laptop has a temper and cuts off from time to time
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/GregRocks&sclick=1">

"Gravity is just a myth. Jon Fitch is holding everything down. He's like the opposite of Atlas, he's got the world under his shoulder."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What Are You Listening to? + All About the Music! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Corsair857 - Jun 2, 2011

3583 by Elanin »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:31 AM

Sticky: » Hi!I am... :) ~ Introductions ~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Mar 12, 2011

5705 by tamilanime »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Sticky: » Administrators' lounge [closed for members] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Aug 22, 2011

361 by Lotus97 »»
Jun 17, 2022 12:02 PM

» [GAME] You're Banned! v. 7.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Uuh - Dec 12, 2015

8529 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 4:21 AM

» [GAME] First Thing That Pops Up In Your Mind V. 3.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arianna - Mar 20, 2016

3543 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.