Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 12, 2012 10:48 PM
Feb 2012
kisami said:
for those of you who have watched Old HxH and are disappointed with quality aspects of this show. you have to understand that back then....studios still cared about quality. these days...if they can cut a corner, they do that one....and the one next to it.

one kind of has to forget the old HxH and not compare them.

There are certain things that the 2011 version can improve without spending a lot of money and effort

Gon v Hanzo's fight would have a more suspenseful atmosphere by just making the lighting dimmer or the walls darker rather than it being neon white....that isn't difficult, and it does not make the anime any less suitable for kids.

Given that Gon's fight is meant to be partially funny, I give a pass on the neon white room, but from the preview, i cant imagine what Killua's fight is going to be like in a brightly lit room, the atmosphere just ain't right

There are some moments that i thought the 2011 version animated beautifully well (ignoring the OST), namely Gon's night chase of Hisoka, the snake cave and Gon's talk with Kurapika during sunset, which all happened in a darker colour setting.

All they have to do is make the color tone darker and the atmosphere will be there
Feb 13, 2012 12:13 AM

Aug 2010
Lol, in reading these forums over the months that this has been airing, I've seen a lot of people nitpicking small little details just to make it look bad compared to the original. I'm one of the few fans of the first one that will say that I've enjoyed this remake just as much if not more (mainly due to pacing) than the original.
Feb 13, 2012 3:26 AM
Oct 2007
A bit anti-climate when announced that only one person will fail the exam but the whole atmosphere throughout the episode was very well done. This episode made me want to watch the original so much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2012 3:51 AM

Aug 2009
chikkychappy said:

the 1999 version is leagues better, i don't even know where to begin.

Begin from wherever you want, you have my attention.
Feb 13, 2012 6:17 AM
Jan 2012
usually, i dont have a problem with the BGM. But in this episode, it has became so terrible.
Doesnt fit the entire atmosphere.
Other than that, it was a decent episode.
Feb 13, 2012 7:40 AM

Feb 2012
jakeisquite said:
Lol, in reading these forums over the months that this has been airing, I've seen a lot of people nitpicking small little details just to make it look bad compared to the original. I'm one of the few fans of the first one that will say that I've enjoyed this remake just as much if not more (mainly due to pacing) than the original.

THANK YOU. Now I know I'm not alone...

As someone who watched the original anime even before reading the manga, I have to say that the team who make the remake is doing a great job, and frankly I like the remake a bit more than the 99 version. I re-watched all ep of 2011 up til now and realized that they are getting better and better! And I also need to say: the person/people who made the storyboards really knows how to draw good expressions for the characters!

To people who complain about the censoring: you already know WHY they have to censor several scenes. And let me ask you this: could YOU have done it better if you were in charge of the censoring?
The director is doing a good job. The censor scenes with Killua in ep 7 and ep 11 are very creative (and shows Killua's brutal/cruel side just fine).

Kisami: "you have to understand that back then....studios still cared about quality. these days...if they can cut a corner, they do that one....and the one next to it."

No offense, but how could you know that? You would have to work (or watch people work) at a studio to know that.

Quality of a show has nothing to do with how old or new it is.

Last, this ep: I liked the remake's version a bit more. Original one was good too, though the animation quality always bothered me. I think MADHOUSE did a fantastic job with it overall. I like how they showed that Killua envies Gon (and it made me feel closer to Killua).

Ps: I'm NOT trying to pick a fight with anyone.
SeraSeraFeb 13, 2012 8:07 AM
Feb 13, 2012 7:59 AM
Jun 2008
Hanzo gave up for the greater goods lol
Feb 13, 2012 11:26 AM

May 2008
wow Gon got beat so easily but still got through wonder what will happen next and who won't make it through!
Feb 13, 2012 3:00 PM

Jan 2012
For the people who haven't Seen the old series or the manga, they find hunter x hunter to be enjoyable. Thats some good news in my opinion.

I honestly like the fact that HxH is being animated again and can't wait for it to go passed where the previous series had left off.

The series hasn't even gotten to the best parts yet. All we can do is wait. =]
Feb 13, 2012 3:43 PM

Jul 2009
Gon was a supper pest in this ep.
Seriously, I wouldn't want to be in Hanzo's shoes; how annoying. :P
Getting KO'd = win could really make life a lot easier, Gon could set a new trend?

Looking forward to the installments to come.;)

Feb 13, 2012 4:43 PM

Aug 2008
Really good episode.
Hope they never change the ending!! XD It's just TOO awesome~!!
Feb 14, 2012 12:22 AM

May 2010
What? Am I the only one who thinks that the ugly BGM fits this time (that scene where Gon kicked Hanzo)? And that's an opinion from someone who prefers the old one.
Feb 14, 2012 12:30 AM

May 2009
That was pretty bad.
Feb 14, 2012 11:50 AM
Jan 2012
Was killua this whiny before? i don't remember him being like that in the manga or the original one...
Feb 14, 2012 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
xXDGFXx said:
Was killua this whiny before? i don't remember him being like that in the manga or the original one...

Yes he was. He was actually sasuke-emo in the 1999 version.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2012 2:23 PM
Feb 2012
x5exotic said:
xXDGFXx said:

Yes he was. He was actually sasuke-emo in the 1999 version.

Killua was Sasuke-emo during the hunter exam in the 1999 version by acting all dark & quiet, but his action was altered to show concern for Gon's safety by throwing him a bottle of water during the fight and threatening Hanzo that if he killed Gon, he will kill Hanzo. That never occured in the manga. The manga dialogue was exactly the same as the 2011 version.
Feb 14, 2012 2:29 PM

Sep 2008
Spoiler for those that have not seen old version or read the manga:

Feb 15, 2012 4:48 AM

Jun 2008
This makes you wonder what if Gon was against someone like Hisoka? Hisoka has no problem killing even if it means he has to fight again to pass. Would Gon knowing this be as determine not to surrender?
Hisoka of course might have surrendered if Gon didn't want do because he wants Gon alive to fight him later but that is not something Gon knows.
Feb 15, 2012 7:00 AM

Oct 2011
The Final Phase was in a brightly lit room in the manga too. If it was supposed to be dark inside, Togashi would have drawn it that way.
Feb 16, 2012 4:23 AM

Feb 2012
Toto_y_Moi said:
The Final Phase was in a brightly lit room in the manga too. If it was supposed to be dark inside, Togashi would have drawn it that way.

EXACTLY :).
Feb 16, 2012 12:27 PM

Jul 2011
And!!! Let the Torture Begin!!! >:D
Feb 16, 2012 1:43 PM
Aug 2011
Does anyone know how much episodes the new series will have?
Feb 16, 2012 9:45 PM

Oct 2010
Poor Hanzo xD
Feb 16, 2012 10:30 PM
Feb 2012
Toto_y_Moi said:

It may be so for other mangakas, but not so for Togashi. Togashi's art for Hunter is very simplistic. The manga tends to use pure black and white and hardly any gray, because Togashi needs to stick alot of little dots which he doesn't like to use.

In other words, unless a room/environment is pitch black, it will always be white in the manga. For example, the background of the trick tower duels and the cave were white in the manga, but that doesn't mean they are meant to be brightly lit (and thank goodness they weren't so in the anime). Hence the colour scheme of the hunter world is majorly left to the anime creators, who is responsible for finding the right colors to fit the atmosphere of the story. I just thougt neon white was an inappropriate choice for the final exam room given that people were fighting and being tortured. It doesn't have to be emo dark, but gray or light brown would have been better.
Feb 17, 2012 1:07 AM
May 2007
Honestly I love how the art got better in this episode. I wish every episode from now on will be like this. Well a +1 since I could sense how Hisoka was pissed off because Hanzo kept beating Gon up, that all matters to me.

5/5
Feb 17, 2012 5:43 AM

Oct 2011
ankifeather said:
Toto_y_Moi said:

It may be so for other mangakas, but not so for Togashi. Togashi's art for Hunter is very simplistic. The manga tends to use pure black and white and hardly any gray, because Togashi needs to stick alot of little dots which he doesn't like to use.

In other words, unless a room/environment is pitch black, it will always be white in the manga. For example, the background of the trick tower duels and the cave were white in the manga, but that doesn't mean they are meant to be brightly lit (and thank goodness they weren't so in the anime). Hence the colour scheme of the hunter world is majorly left to the anime creators, who is responsible for finding the right colors to fit the atmosphere of the story. I just thougt neon white was an inappropriate choice for the final exam room given that people were fighting and being tortured. It doesn't have to be emo dark, but gray or light brown would have been better.

Well there were large windows and it was around 8 am or something, brightly lit is what it should be

Phalrax said:

So far, with this pace (2 chapters per episode) it would be at least 170.
But the manga isn't over so there will probably be much more :D
Feb 17, 2012 8:06 AM

Dec 2009
x5exotic said:
Phalrax said:

What? You mean with the new arcs, right?

This has to be one of my favorite episodes;
  • Gon kicking Hanzo was just awesome!

Though it would have been better without the comedy atmosphere, well, I guess that's just how Gon is.

• The fact Killua wasn't rated as the best one to become a hunter is probably because he takes everything into violence, Gon always think in some other way to resolve things.

And next episode is already the resume of the fights? Wow, so fast..
Feb 17, 2012 3:36 PM

Oct 2011
Liinah said:
x5exotic said:
Phalrax said:

What? You mean with the new arcs, right?

This has to be one of my favorite episodes;
  • Gon kicking Hanzo was just awesome!
  • The fact Killua wasn't rated as the best one to become a hunter is probably because he takes everything into violence, Gon always think in some other way to resolve things.

And next episode is already the resume of the fights? Wow, so fast..

What do you mean? o.o So far HxH has got about 340 chapters which will be made into 170 (So far HxH just finished the 7th arc) But there will probably be 5-6 more arcs according to the writer

Also, just don't get too hyped for the fight, it's gonna be TOO fast it might surprise you :P
Feb 17, 2012 4:57 PM

Dec 2009
x5exotic said:
What do you mean? o.o So far HxH has got about 340 chapters which will be made into 170 (So far HxH just finished the 7th arc) But there will probably be 5-6 more arcs according to the writer

I was asking if by 170 episodes you mean with Chimera arc and so, not just the chapters from the original anime. And well, we still don't know if the new arcs will be animated, though I hope so.
Feb 17, 2012 5:00 PM

Oct 2007
I'm not sure what I feel about this episode. It was lighter than the original version (anyone else notice how they didn't show just about all the hits except when Hanzo swiped Gon off his feet, but implied them? clever way to get around showing violence in the timeslot) and almost felt less important.

I don't remember Killua getting so jealous in the original or in the manga and it was a change of pace to see. It makes me wonder how they're going to work back up to the friendship later.
Feb 17, 2012 5:44 PM
Feb 2012
Liinah said:

• It's probaly more to do with Killua's lack of interest rather than violence since Hisoka is more violent yet rated highly by Netero. Killua must have left a bad overall impression for giving up Netero's ball game and his answer to the "why do you want to be a hunter" interview question is more than likely the same as what he told Gon ie "I don't want to be a hunter, I just came for fun".
    Feb 17, 2012 9:52 PM
    Dec 2011
    Average. Since I already read the manga I know exactly what was going to happen. The music could be better but not bad.
    Feb 18, 2012 12:51 AM

Oct 2011
    It's funny how people now totally forget that there is more blood in this episode and whine about the off screen beating at which the 1999 didn't do a good job either, which shows that some people just have the need to bitch about something..

Liinah said:
    x5exotic said:

I was asking if by 170 episodes you mean with Chimera arc and so, not just the chapters from the original anime. And well, we still don't know if the new arcs will be animated, though I hope so.

I mean Chimera arc and up till the election :D
    x5exoticFeb 18, 2012 12:57 AM
    Feb 18, 2012 6:42 PM

Jul 2007
    Still doing pretty good so far.
    Feb 19, 2012 12:33 PM

Feb 2009
    Gon = love. dsjfudfhygdyfgygfdgd;;
    Apr 28, 2012 11:23 AM

Apr 2012
    :D Pleased! I'm glad they did this well... wasn't as painful to watch as the original, but it did still shake me a bit. It was sort of annoying around the start of the fight where they just seemed to switch to outside the room or someone else's face at every hit, but I'm glad they did actually include Gon's arm being broken. Some nice blood smudges on the floor and blood trickling down Gon's face... at least they're not avoiding it completely, eh?

This is probably the first time I noticed the background music being really displaced though XD. Oh well.

Really happy with this. owo
    May 2, 2012 12:46 AM
    Feb 2011
    To the people who refer the 99 ver to be "the original".
    Fuck you all.
    Do you even read the real "origainal" manga?

This 2011 ver is reviving the lighter sides a HxH that the 99 ver left out.
    Thats why I appriciate it.
    If you want your dark atmospheric HxH, go watch that and never come back.
    I got pissed looking at emo grownups comments after 20eps.
    Drop it already!
    May 16, 2012 2:45 PM

Jul 2009
    Hanzo is one of the underrated characters of this arc.
    Jun 10, 2012 11:19 PM

Jan 2012
    Hanzo got ninja'd.
    My Guitar Covers:
    Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
    Jul 13, 2012 1:44 AM

Jun 2009
    Great episode. Despite the obvious censoring with the jumps to other characters faces, the "fight" still felt very brutal. Loved the interplay between Gon and Hanzo as well. Particularly liked how pissed off Kurapika and Leorio were, and the fact that Killua was more jealous than anything speaks volumes.

Also, someone said Killua actually attempted to defend Gon somewhat in the previous adaptation and I remember something like that myself. If that's the case then that adds a completely different feel to his character. I prefer the way the 2011 anime has handled it, plus it's great foreshadowing for future events.
    Ston3_FreeN7Jul 13, 2012 1:54 AM
    "Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
    Sep 4, 2012 6:41 PM

Mar 2007
    I don't like Hanzo. *lol*
    Sep 6, 2012 6:58 PM
    Sep 2009
    I always hated this fight and this is the fight that made me hate Gon too.

I'm not for children abuse and violence but here I was seriously rooting for Hanzo. There is a thin line between having strong will and being a total idiot.
    Gon crossed that line and became a selfish idiot. If Hanzo were to break all his bones and surrender then, it would leave Gon in horrible state. He would most likely pass the exam since he still would not give up but what's next? Bones heal but if each one of them was broken, there is no way they would heal properly. What would he do with a dis functioned body?! All his Hunter dreams would end right there! SO STUPID! I hate characters who don't think about future and consider giving up as a weakness! If you die, you can't do anything anymore. However, if you surrender you still can come back and achieve more including glory!

What totally destroyed Gon for me was when he started to demand from Hanzo a different match when the guy was nice enough to let him win! How selfish can you be?! Gon's ego needs to be crushed and as fast as possible. He is turning too much into Mary Sue!
    Sep 6, 2012 7:05 PM

Jan 2012
    kitten320 said:

I'm not for children abuse and violence but here I was seriously rooting for Hanzo. There is a thin line between having strong will and being a total idiot.
    Gon crossed that line and became a selfish idiot. If Hanzo were to break all his bones and surrender then, it would leave Gon in horrible state. He would most likely pass the exam since he still would not give up but what's next? Bones heal but if each one of them was broken, there is no way they would heal properly. What would he do with a dis functioned body?! All his Hunter dreams would end right there! SO STUPID! I hate characters who don't think about future and consider giving up as a weakness! If you die, you can't do anything anymore. However, if you surrender you still can come back and achieve more including glory!

What totally destroyed Gon for me was when he started to demand from Hanzo a different match when the guy was nice enough to let him win! How selfish can you be?! Gon's ego needs to be crushed and as fast as possible. He is turning too much into Mary Sue!

Thats exactly what togashi wants you to believe...Throughout the whole series this mindset that gon has makes him who he is. The later arcs will show you how much this type of personallity will do to him...Also he's still 12...A lot of 12 year olds can't think through things sometimes.. lol
    Sep 7, 2012 1:15 PM

Aug 2012
    kitten320 said:

It's fun how what makes one person hate a character can make another person love that same character. -w-
    But I don't think Gon thinks giving up is a weakness per say. Just kind of inconvenient (in a way) at the time to do so. Plus, as you said, he's too stubborn. (but I do wonder about how close to the truth his hunch concerning Ging was...)
    Sep 8, 2012 9:44 AM
    Sep 2009
    I saw old series and Gon didn't really change much in Greed Island arc. Still dumb and suborn as always and what is worse is that he never has to pay for it.

In real life things would end tragically.

I know it is manga but manga is meant to inspire people and give example to follow. Gon is worst inspirational candidate especially for children.
    Sep 8, 2012 10:06 AM

Sep 2012
    kitten320 said:
    I saw old series and Gon didn't really change much in Greed Island arc. Still dumb and suborn as always and what is worse is that he never has to pay for it.

I know it is manga but manga is meant to inspire people and give example to follow. Gon is worst inspirational candidate especially for children.

If you read the manga you'd realize he was never meant to be an example to children :P
    It would have ended tragically if Gon didn't win Hanzo over, but he did
    Sep 8, 2012 4:52 PM

Aug 2012
    kitten320 said:

I'm pretty sure not everything in manga is meant to be some sort of perfect role model... I would probably find it extremely boring if that were true.
    Nov 22, 2012 5:26 AM

Jan 2011
    I know shounen shows like to brandish the "strong determination" flag but this episode was just stupid. Gon gets completely disabled by the first attack and yet he stubbornly moronically refuses to give up. Am I meant to feel "wow, his will is so strong"? Hell no. He should have recognised that he had no options remaining and gracefully accepted his loss. But no. He'll just keep blabbing about not giving up like that'll somehow fix his current predicament.

And was I meant to empathise with Kurapika and Leorio over their growing anger? Gon brought the whole situation on himself for being an retard. Wtf was Hanzo meant to do? In fact, Hanzo came off as a really nice character to me. He clearly explained Gon's current situation to him and everything and Gon just vomitted it all right back.

The only thing realistic about this episode is how nice guys lose :P

Don't know if I can pull myself through anymore episodes. If Gon shows this sort of shit again, I sure as hell am gonna drop it.
    Nov 22, 2012 4:31 PM

Aug 2012
    ^I'm pretty sure Gon does something similar at least once more (the one I'm thinking of is in the early 20s I think..)
    Nov 23, 2012 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
    @quanticism, but he wants to win in his own way >.<

"victory must be absolute"
    End Zionazism
    Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

62 by omorashi »»
    2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
    Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
    Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
    Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
    Apr 21, 3:22 AM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.