Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 2012 8:24 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Trying out Hakama and preparing for competition.

Her opponent wears gorgeously, speaks kindly with evil meaning inside (or just simply adorable about her being young... lol~). From the battle with her, she finally understood what her teacher said. Pacing with breathing. So she is a mother!! And she's been doing karuta for a long time (35 years?).

Taichi vs. Nikuman and the girl vs megane guy!! lol~ and Chihaya cannot catch up. The girl's form is perfect because of hakama, but the megane guy already planned to get her cards. While Taichi and Nikuman are in the heat battle.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 7, 2012 11:02 AM

Jan 2012
really liked this episode, that lady which chihaya was facing really did help her, with the 'timing' and stuff.
I really wanna see more of Nikuman vs Taichi next week, the battle seems epic!!! xD
Feb 7, 2012 11:33 AM

Apr 2009
Whew, Chihaya's still got a long way to go.. Hopefully there will be a second season.
SixFlagsFeb 7, 2012 11:40 AM
Feb 7, 2012 12:04 PM

Jun 2011
hahah the old lady was so weird...
she was pretty kewl tho
Feb 7, 2012 12:16 PM

Dec 2009
I loved how she was focusing completely on Kana and Desktomu's match and completely ignored the other one.
Ara ara.
Feb 7, 2012 12:30 PM
Oct 2008
Kana-chan really looked graceful when she picked up that card :D
Feb 7, 2012 12:34 PM

Aug 2007
Sakura annoyed me with her 'raki!'. But she and her family were cute. It's a good thing Chihaya learned another thing. Also, the dilemma of watcing all of her teammates in the finals, ahahaha. Fai-to, Taichi!

Also, Kana-chan <3
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Feb 7, 2012 12:38 PM

Nov 2010
Nice episode but: Chihaya is always (or most of the time) winning because of her speed and now she is losing because of that only due to what the old man said? C'mon, srsly? -.-
Feb 7, 2012 12:49 PM
Nov 2010
"...but only Retro-kun is watching it!" :D

It was a fine episode, there were some interesting moments...
Feb 7, 2012 1:08 PM

Mar 2008
Yes! yes!

OMG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Sakura milf of the year!
Kana-chan and Desktop-kun lovers of the year!
Feb 7, 2012 1:20 PM

Dec 2009
Nietono said:
Nice episode but: Chihaya is always (or most of the time) winning because of her speed and now she is losing because of that only due to what the old man said? C'mon, srsly? -.-

No, she lost because all she has is her speed and she has zero ability to adjust her playstyle to her opponent.
Ara ara.
Feb 7, 2012 1:46 PM

Nov 2010
But that wasn't a big problem so far, but all of a sudden it is
Feb 7, 2012 2:12 PM

Jun 2011
The story has being focusing on character development
Somehow, the matches doesn't seem as exciting anymore :<

Kana-chan does look really good with kimono.
Feb 7, 2012 3:04 PM

Sep 2010
Nietono said:
But that wasn't a big problem so far, but all of a sudden it is

She said at the start of the episode that it's her first A class match that isn't limited to high schoolers, so that might be the reason (even though we saw high schoolers who won vs adults, I guess there's noticeable skill gap).

Other members don't get much screentime when playing in tournaments (except when they played as a team), so I'm curious who'll win. Kana-chan was really awesome this episode, like others said already.
Feb 7, 2012 3:13 PM

Jul 2011
WHY? The four made it to the final and ended up playing against each other. Ahhhh!! (of course i'm secretly rooting for Taichi.)
Feb 7, 2012 3:13 PM

Oct 2008
One of my favorite episodes yet. It's so refreshing to see the other teammates play a serious match.
I, like everyone, would be watching Kana-chan and Desk-kun match, so calm and composed yet very mesmerizing!
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Feb 7, 2012 3:15 PM
Nov 2011
Even though this is an anime, I feel like I could learn something new for myself.

I've always wanted to move quicker, get better, and reach my goal fast. And just like Chihaya, the speed is what's hindering me.

The way she learned how to move with the syllables of the poem reminds me that I, too, should also flow and learn bit by bit for my dream rather than focusing on hasting the results.

This anime is great. :)
Feb 7, 2012 3:45 PM

Apr 2008
Great ep :D
Loved watching Kana-chan and Desk-kun(my nickname for him ok) battle.

I almost spit out my chocolate milk becaus of who voiced that 35 year old lady(the loli from Higurashi) :P

Feb 7, 2012 3:50 PM

Nov 2011
Now we went heavy on karuta! I find it so nice Chihaya attitude of learning all she can from any and everyone around her! I can even see her in the future beating Shinobu in an exciting scene where she uses all techniques she learned from her nakama! XD

Nice to finally see Kana and Desktomu getting more screen time! They needed! Retro-kun is the only one paying attention to the other match now, and that one seems good too. Next epi will be nice. ^^
Feb 7, 2012 4:28 PM

Aug 2010
This episode was devoted to Chihaya learning how to become a better players. It's a good thing since before all she did is use her athletic ability to win and didn't focus on strategic.
Feb 7, 2012 4:35 PM

Jun 2011
-_- Uwah, that Sakura chick that Chihaya battled first REALLY REALLYYYYYYY bugged me. "Lucky!" Me: D< WILL YOU SHUT UP!? ... *Sweatdrop* T.T I'm sorry, I REALLY hate cutesy girls in anime, especially ones like her.
... :3 But aw, her kids Kai and Tsubaki are cute.

^-^ Taichi to Porky! I want Taichi to win!
...Oh WOW, Kana and Desktomu are battling! ^-^ They've improved, ya ta! *Now sports Kana ponytail (Just one though)* I'm rooting for Kana... >) Because I know Desktomu likes her~
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Feb 7, 2012 4:45 PM

Jul 2010
Loved this episode, I'm really happy they're showing me another side of Karuta(understanding ur opponent) instead of going with who can take the card faster or hear the words better.
Also we get an in depth look at Kanna and Deskto's Karuta playing styles which was awesome and I gotta say Kanna won some points in this episode struttin aroudn in her hakama, I'm like DAYUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GIRL
When the camera switched to Taichi and Porky's game, I was like credits don't show up... credits don't show up
*credits show up*
AUGAHSDIJGANELKFNA#LK%N#Q%$#KLN5$#L^BTE$WKSARF
Gotta wait till next week I guess.
Feb 7, 2012 5:04 PM

Jan 2011
At least Chihaya was able to learn something from her match against Sakura, even though she lost. Anyways, Chihaya was the only one from her team to not make it to the finals! xD

If you read the manga, you already know who won their respective match.
Feb 7, 2012 5:15 PM
Dec 2007
Fantastic episode once again, Chihayafuru is still the best series out there and Chihaya the best lead character.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 7, 2012 6:00 PM

Apr 2009
i'm so weird for getting teary-eyed at Kana and Tsukue-kun playing Karuta due to how amazed i was at how beautiful both of them play, mostly on Kana's part.. the beauty of Japanese culture in the tradition and literature of the 100 poets this anime showcases is superb and best represented at how graceful Kana plays.. (actually, Kana's way of Karuta is also what solidified my admiration for the sport back when she was still introduced..) she even shows why kimono and hakama are superior.. to counter this, Tsukue-kun also knows the meaning of the poems and uses tactics to use it against her.. if only these two are faster, and have been more main character material, i'd love to watch a show where they are in the spotlight..

anyway, Chihaya, go level up your plays.. your imbalanced speed stat is not working out for you against these older Class A's with far more experience..
Feb 7, 2012 6:22 PM

Dec 2011
At least someone we want will win...
Feb 7, 2012 7:05 PM

Nov 2011
That old lady was an annoyingly convenient opponent. An okay episode, probably the first one in a while that I didn't find amazing. I did like the focus on Kana and Tsukue once again. Looking forward to the results.
Feb 7, 2012 7:31 PM

Aug 2011
Why is Taichi insanely hot when doing mundane things like panting? Okay, maybe it's just my obsession with him.

Love the Kana-chan and Desktomu match. Sucks that one of them will lose... same with Piggy and Taichi. The old lady was really annoying, with her "lucky!" squeals.
Feb 7, 2012 8:19 PM
Apr 2010
Watching the Karuta match between Karuta Club members; this happened:
Feb 7, 2012 8:40 PM

Sep 2010
marchefka said:
DoctorDoom said:
Nietono said:

No, she lost because all she has is her speed and she has zero ability to adjust her playstyle to her opponent.

I was seriously annoyed when I saw that. Chihaya's been playing karuta for quite a long time now, don't you think it's ridiculous that she still doesn't know some obvious things and still hasn't learned how to take cards effectively? I love this anime and I think is very realistic, so this kind of inconsequence, so to speak, is really out of place here.

Well, if haven't noticed, Chihaya isn't very smart. In fact, if I recall, she said something about being ranked 5th to last after one of the tests. People of lesser intelligence tend to learn things very slowly, so I think this is actually a realistic progression for someone of her capabilities.
Feb 8, 2012 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
Meh... I mean ok Chihaya ain't the best player ever but she was way better than this. It's like they nerfed her only to extend the series
removed-userFeb 8, 2012 1:28 AM
Feb 8, 2012 1:46 AM
May 2009
argilium said:
i'm so weird for getting teary-eyed at Kana and Tsukue-kun playing Karuta due to how amazed i was at how beautiful both of them play, mostly on Kana's part.. the beauty of Japanese culture in the tradition and literature of the 100 poets this anime showcases is superb and best represented at how graceful Kana plays.. (actually, Kana's way of Karuta is also what solidified my admiration for the sport back when she was still introduced..) she even shows why kimono and hakama are superior.. to counter this, Tsukue-kun also knows the meaning of the poems and uses tactics to use it against her.. if only these two are faster, and have been more main character material, i'd love to watch a show where they are in the spotlight..

I kind of agree, but the fact that they weren't even interested in competetive karuta at the start and it's mainly because of Chihaya that they feel in love with it along with facts you listed also make Chihaya an awesome main character - besides of her talents and not-talents for karuta :)
I've said it a several times, but this show makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I was amazed at Kana and Desktomu's play too.
Feb 8, 2012 2:15 AM

May 2010
Lol,Only retro kun is watching taichi and nikuman kun's match according to chihaya..
Feb 8, 2012 4:01 AM

Apr 2011
That was a really good episode. I really enjoyed watching Kana play against Desktomu.
Feb 8, 2012 10:58 AM
Nov 2010
AzureSkyz said:
marchefka said:
DoctorDoom said:
Nietono said:

I was seriously annoyed when I saw that. Chihaya's been playing karuta for quite a long time now, don't you think it's ridiculous that she still doesn't know some obvious things and still hasn't learned how to take cards effectively? I love this anime and I think is very realistic, so this kind of inconsequence, so to speak, is really out of place here.

Well, if haven't noticed, Chihaya isn't very smart. In fact, if I recall, she said something about being ranked 5th to last after one of the tests. People of lesser intelligence tend to learn things very slowly, so I think this is actually a realistic progression for someone of her capabilities.

I missed that part. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2012 11:38 AM
Jan 2011
Soin the end Chihaya ends up learing from her fellow members.
Feb 8, 2012 12:30 PM

Apr 2008
Enjoyed watching Desktomu v (the elegant) Kana-chan! 'Meanwhile, there was another intense match going on... but only Retro-kun was watching!' lol, really looking forward to seeing Taichi v Nikuman next episode!!! :D
Feb 8, 2012 5:30 PM
Mar 2011
for such a simple plot of playing karuta, this series doesnt fail to impress. the comedy is less and subtle but the delivery and timing leads you laughing. the makers really know how to manipulate the audience's emotions
"....i am the villain in this story"
Feb 9, 2012 3:26 AM

May 2009
That old lady was not cute. Not at all. She might have been had she not insisted on being "cute". If I ever turn out that way, hanging on to lost youth, I might just kill myself.

Erm, but yeah, loved this episode. And I love that they didn't shy away from having the team members compete against each other. Taichi will win the match against Porky, though. The other one, hmm, not sure. Probably Kana.
Feb 9, 2012 8:44 AM

May 2010
An Ok episode.

I find it good that the two rank D members we're playing using their own strategies.

And hell, Kanade is simply elegant in her hakama.
Feb 9, 2012 11:01 AM

Jun 2008
Ugh, the older woman kinda annoyed me with her continuous "lucky! ^_^" Enjoying the match between Kana-chan and Desktomu-kun, Kana-chan plays beautifully. I hope we get to see the other match in more detail next week.
Feb 10, 2012 7:35 PM

Nov 2010
SergioSource said:
Meh... I mean ok Chihaya ain't the best player ever but she was way better than this. It's like they nerfed her only to extend the series

My thoughts exactly, I couldn't have phrased it better myself. In all her previous matches she never had any faults despite all her speed (or at least they weren't shown, or they weren't significant enough to make her lose) and now it's like she faults 90% of the cards. Really stupid.

The old Sakura lady has one of the worst freaking seyuus I have ever had the misfortune of hearing, plus the character itself is very childish with all her "Lucky!" screeches, excessive emphasis on Chihaya's youth and consequential faster reflexes (completely forgetting that her 25 years of Karuta playing over Chihaya more than balances things out) and wearing pink like she was 12.
Sakura-san, you've had your moment of fame in the show. Now please, never show up again!
KelvetsFeb 11, 2012 12:04 PM
Feb 12, 2012 2:54 PM

Jul 2009
Wow! I really liked this episode XD Unlike the others, I actually liked Sakura ... I thought she was hilarious and the way she pointed out Chihaya's weakness was really good. Only goes to show how good the Class A players are ...
Loved the finals between Kana and Desktomu, Taichi and Nishida XD Kana's so lovely in her kimono ... I loved how everyone plays using their own style. Good for Chihaya too, I suppose :P Loved the focus on the two beginning players but I wanted to see the Class B match too XD
Feb 13, 2012 9:11 PM

Apr 2008
While Chihayafuru still has a few episodes left before it’s end, I really feel that it has continued to stay on the right track throughout (something that not a whole lot of shows are able to do anymore). And it’s not exactly easy to properly weave a good character study into a strategic game revolving around copious amounts of memorization. This episode definitely still kept the same level of strategy and mind games will focusing on Chihaya, Kana and Desktomu's individual game styles.

Probably my top pick for best show this season along with Natsume Yuujinchou Shi

Feb 14, 2012 10:33 AM

Sep 2009
I suppose I may be watching this series for the wrong reasons. I really, really liked it in the beginning; I thought they played out the drama the right way and I really liked the relationship between Arata and Chihaya, and between Taichi and Chihaya as well. However, lately it feels like it's going in a direction I don't like and they've forgotten about all of the non-karuta aspects of the show. All of the episodes are bleeding together for me into one long karuta match. Arata is never seen and sometimes never even mentioned. There's no focus on the relationships anymore, just all karuta, all the time.

tl;dr: More Arata, please.
Feb 15, 2012 5:50 PM

Dec 2006
Kelvets said:
The old Sakura lady has one of the worst freaking seyuus I have ever had the misfortune of hearing, plus the character itself is very childish with all her "Lucky!" screeches, excessive emphasis on Chihaya's youth and consequential faster reflexes (completely forgetting that her 25 years of Karuta playing over Chihaya more than balances things out) and wearing pink like she was 12.
Sakura-san, you've had your moment of fame in the show. Now please, never show up again!

Exactly my thoughts! It was like seeing Tamura Yukari within a few years playing Karuta xD

I lost my hopes on Arata to show up more :(
Mar 6, 2012 5:05 PM

Feb 2010
Onward to the next ep... :)

Can't wait to see who wins each match.
Mar 7, 2012 7:40 PM

Mar 2011
SergioSource said:
ikr?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed!
Apr 6, 2012 11:32 PM

Sep 2011
Haha this was a good episode. Loved it when Sakura was just destroying Chihaya. ^-^

I also like the little battle between the team. Who will win!? :D
May 4, 2012 9:10 PM

Mar 2009
Sakura was kinda annoying somehow.

I think wearing traditional clothes when playing karuta is dumb. The clothes restrict movement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

215 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.