MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

When women do the voices of male characters in the Japanese version and are crappy at it
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» When women do the voices of male characters in the Japanese version and are crappy at it

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
02-06-12, 5:15 PM

I know that there a lot of anime male characters voiced by women. Which ones do you feel actually suck at it? That, take the hatred many people have for English dubs but apply it to this.

I am also talking about the voice of it in an English is better by a woman or man and the Japanese totally failed on it.

Rie Kugimiya as Happy when I watch Fairy Tail is the main reason for watching the subbed versions muted a lot of the time. Her loli girl voice for other shows I've seen her in is the single most annoying voice I've heard in dubbed/subbed.

The voice for the main R-15 guy being done by a woman is another epic fail.
in Junko Takeuchi as Naruto is an example where I will turn it on because I feel her boy voice for him is a lot damned better than Kugimiya's Happy.

Don't flame for this! Just as many people can feel that many English dubs have voices that don't match the character, I feel the same way for the Japanese version.

I am talking more in terms of teenage boys who don't look like they should be done by a Japanese woman.

02-06-12, 5:39 PM

I am talking more in terms of teenage boys who don't look like they should be done by a Japanese woman.

I thought you were talking about cats.

02-06-12, 5:44 PM

Anime_Name said:

I thought you were talking about cats.

lol xD thx for the laugh!

and for the OP have you ever heard a teenage boy talk during a gaming sesion (or a girl)? or try sitting in a mumble chanel filled with women and teenagers see if you can spot who's what :D
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

02-06-12, 5:53 PM

I should have just said male characters in general. Back to the topic, there are times when women shouldn't do male voices. When do you think that is?

02-06-12, 6:05 PM

Kadmos said:
I should have just said male characters in general. Back to the topic, there are times when women shouldn't do male voices. When do you think that is?

I don't have any strict rules but post-puberty is a general no-no, unless the character is supposed to sound womanish for various reasons like a man sounding like a woman.

02-06-12, 6:10 PM

Well, women usually do boys and young teens, because women sound more like boys and young teens than men do, and you can't staff an animu with actual boys and young teens.

02-06-12, 6:11 PM

I can understand why Goku and Gohan had the old lady as a voice actor, as it was cute when they were kids; but when the two of them were adults, it was just a no no.
"The end of happiness, the beginning of truth."

02-06-12, 6:17 PM

SeraVerte said:
I can understand why Goku and Gohan had the old lady as a voice actor, as it was cute when they were kids; but when the two of them were adults, it was just a no no.

This falls into my category of "supposed" to sound like that. Nobody could bring the innocent exuberance into those performances other than Ms. Nozawa. She literally became Goku...and most of people related to Goku. But it's not like anyone here has even watched more than a few episode of Z with the original audio other than to complain about the Akira Toriyama's vision of the cast.
Modified by Anime_Name, 02-06-12, 6:24 PM

02-06-12, 6:24 PM

Anime_Name said:
Kadmos said:

I don't have any strict rules but post-puberty is a general no-no, unless the character is supposed to sound womanish for various reasons like a man sounding like a woman.

yep, this says it all :-)
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

02-06-12, 6:29 PM

Kadmos said:

Rie Kugimiya as Happy when I watch Fairy Tail is the main reason for watching the subbed versions muted a lot of the time. Her loli girl voice for other shows I've seen her in is the single most annoying voice I've heard in dubbed/subbed.

The voice for the main R-15 guy being done by a woman is another epic fail.
in Junko Takeuchi as Naruto is an example where I will turn it on because I feel her boy voice for him is a lot damned better than Kugimiya's Happy.

I hate you.
On topic: Goku sounded really wrong in DBZ jp sub. It felt too squeaky. Which is why I went and watched the Dub.
Any male voiced by females sound wrong for me most of the time except in certain cases.

02-06-12, 6:35 PM

Naruto is the biggest offender. Annoying with his(or her if you count his seiyuu) catchphrase "dattebayo".
"Fujioshis are the second biggest hypocrites after politicians"
NK_500 -- Circa 2010

02-06-12, 6:38 PM

CrimsonLight, why do you hate me for saying what I said in that post? I am just stating what I believe about the level of obnoxiousness voices are at in anime I've seen.

02-06-12, 6:39 PM

NK_500 said:
Naruto is the biggest offender. Annoying with his(or her if you count his seiyuu) catchphrase "dattebayo".

How is having a catchphrase somehow inhibiting Ms. Takeuchi's portrayal of everyone favortie ninja-knucklehead? It is my understand that "dattebayo" was a phrase to represnet Naruto's energy and silliness as a kid in the first series and as he aged the term was used less and less.

CrimsonLight, why do you hate me for saying what I said in that post? I am just stating what I believe about the level of obnoxiousness voices are at in anime I've seen.

Well this is the result of starting a topic that is little more than a personal rant about something subjective. People are going to defend their opinions to the death and point out whatever "good" they hear in performances that you(or anyone else) complain about.
Modified by Anime_Name, 02-06-12, 6:44 PM

02-06-12, 6:43 PM

Kadmos said:

I'm just a true, passionate fan of Rie. Reading such a thing make me da so sad. But anyways, don't take it personally okay?

02-06-12, 7:02 PM

Fair enough. But I think even some of her native Japanese fans should admit that she and other seiyuu doing voices for boys/characters in general can be obnoxious at times. This type of thought applies to any woman doing a boy voice in any language.

02-06-12, 7:16 PM

Couple of things.
A) Women generally do a fine job with teen and younger male voices.
B) Men generally can't sound young enough for younger roles without it coming off as fake or painful.

Even if young boys voice the part of young boys then you'd also have to take into account that those young boys will go through puberty at some point and sound like men, which would mostly conflict with point B. It is far more useful to cast women on those roles who can reprise their roles for years if needed.

02-06-12, 7:21 PM

I'm still to come across the japanese voice actress that did a bad job on this type of work.

Kadmos said:
There must be something wrong with your ears. She kicks ass as Happy. Aye sir!

I loved her as Al in Fullmetal alchemist as well.

I dont know what's your problem. She's very good at her job.

02-06-12, 7:26 PM

Acting ability > Who's behind the voice.

02-06-12, 7:39 PM

As much I find her talented, her voice of Happy (to me) is way too girly. I have only a certain level of tolerance for girly sounding boy voices. If it was possible for there to be a little more frequency of getting actual teen boys to boy voices, I would be a lot happier.

02-06-12, 8:15 PM

Kadmos said:
As much I find her talented, her voice of Happy (to me) is way too girly. I have only a certain level of tolerance for girly sounding boy voices. If it was possible for there to be a little more frequency of getting actual teen boys to boy voices, I would be a lot happier.

Then you shouldn't be looking at animated TV series, standalone movies might have a REAL kids playing parts but expecting a TV series to do that regularly is ignoring the factors on why women have been favored for those roels in the first place.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices