MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago Episode 1 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Berserk: Ougon Jidaihen I - Haou no Tamago »» Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Poll: Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago Episode 1 Discussion


#1
02-04-12, 2:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 515
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so...its out now in Japan right?any1 who was lucky enough to watch it :D share ur thoughts plz !!! the first review was positive so i take it as a good sign
Modified by amirhoss, 02-04-12, 2:51 AM
 
#2
02-04-12, 2:04 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1920
Well, it's a great treat for manga fans who have been waiting and a good gateway for newbies.mstorynwise it's what we've already seen but we want to see what happens after the eclipse. I suppose people who have not seen the old anime or have not p,ayed the games can get past the voice cast but I personally had a hard time adjusting to the new voices
 
#3
02-05-12, 2:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3944
dat OP

 
#4
02-06-12, 3:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2903
@ParaParaJMo: Thanks for the review, man.

To those of you who live in Japan and have already seen it( I guess that's you right now, Para =P ), I'd appreciate it if someone could share how often the CG animation is implemented. I've heard that besides the opening of the movie, it isn't used as much throughout. Don't know if that's true or not.
Modified by Mormegil, 02-06-12, 3:52 PM
 
#5
02-18-12, 6:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 105
I've just seen it for the first time, and I'm very pleased. My main complaint is that it's way too short, with barely 80 minutes (including a trailer for the next movie).

I'm too lazy to write a review, but here are some spoilerish thoughts on the movie:

Modified by Sakujo, 02-18-12, 8:40 AM
 
#6
02-20-12, 1:17 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1920
in the end, i still feel this anime is still a glorified commercial for the manga but gives things that manga can't offer. music, motion, and voice acting. then again, i say this more as a manga person personally.

but i'm also a major seiyuu buff, but if you haven't seen the original anime or played the games, it probably won't bother you. but it just didn't feel the same to me without them. i also like the seiyuus they got for serpico, puck, ishidiro, and farnesse in the ps2 game and i hope they get them if possible.
 
#7
05-28-12, 6:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1446
Well, 3d was pretty bad most of the time. Overall, it mostly for those who're familiar with the manga/series. For a something like an extended recap, not too shabby.

7/10


"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
 
#8
05-28-12, 4:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 174
From what i've seen from the RAW it looks pretty damn good, cant wait for the subbed BD :D
 
#9
05-28-12, 8:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10142
I agree with the positive and other variants of that first review. There is nothing else to say of it. It's how i felt and how it was. However I can provide a pic,

of the online version. As one can see compared to the older one, the bloods. The color of it. The luster of it. The shadows are far better done. When GUTS swings his swords YOU REALLY SEE IT! The whole motion.

When there is a war, YOU SEE THE ARROWS FLYING and a storm of them whom the original totally failed in delivering.

The demon's eyes are well done in that part in the pic.

Finally Griffon IS SO GORGEOUS. I don't think a better beauty exists when done like this as he is now.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
 
05-28-12, 8:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 2935
Basically, one of those movies where you need to read the manga to enjoy it, which is bad. They also didn't explain some major stuff like, why did Julius order to assassinate Grifith? And why was sleeping naked near Guts? At least the ecchi shows have their funny reasons (need to be naked to heal/power up), but this was just nonsense. Just a stupid excuse to show tits. Warm him my ass. At least she had pubes, which is kinda new to a normal show. I mean, even highschool virgins are shaved lol.
Modified by ZetaZaku, 05-28-12, 10:27 PM
 
05-29-12, 8:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 4621
The CGI sucks, but it's not as terrible as I thought it would be, since they used a certain style to try to cover up the CGI and make it blend in better. Also ZetaZaku even in the manga they said it was just to warm him up, there was no other explanation beyond that. To me the most disappointing thing was how they handled Zodd, they messed didn't put the build up to him (dilos) and they didn't show him in the same state he was in the manga.
Modified by skudoops, 05-29-12, 8:13 AM
 
05-31-12, 5:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 620
Well, for someone that knew nothing about Berserk (such as myself), the movie is very enjoyable to watch, especially with the animation quality. The action is great, the deaths look more realistic than most animes. However, its subtitle is "Haou no Tamago" yet the audience learn almost nothing about the egg. Lastly, the end wasn't great, the movie ends with a speech from Griffith. It does not feel very satisfying nor it give the anxiety to watch its sequel.

ZetaZaku said:
Basically, one of those movies where you need to read the manga to enjoy it, which is bad.
Perhaps you can expand on that? What do I need to know to enjoy the movie more? But like you said, the movie does skip through details very quickly. Like Guts' flashback about his past, one can only assumed that he was kidnapped and he killed his kidnapper later on.
ZetaZaku said:
bad. They also didn't explain some major stuff like, why did Julius order to assassinate Grifith?
I saw this as a power struggle. I don't know if I'm right but this is how I interpret it from the movie. Julius never liked Grifith to begin with (due to various reasons). Julius is heir to the throne, so when he saw Grifith hitting on the princess, Grifith became a threat to him.
 
06-01-12, 5:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 556
skudoops said:
The CGI sucks, but it's not as terrible as I thought it would be, since they used a certain style to try to cover up the CGI and make it blend in better. Also ZetaZaku even in the manga they said it was just to warm him up, there was no other explanation beyond that. To me the most disappointing thing was how they handled Zodd, they messed didn't put the build up to him (dilos) and they didn't show him in the same state he was in the manga.


Certain parts of the CGI are fantastic. Zodd mainly, he looked AMAZING.

The majority of the human CGI was awful though. I can see why they did it however, it does save time.
 
06-01-12, 7:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 120
iv just started watching it and i wanted to get this off my chest and say that the animation is good until you come to the character movement which looks a bit unnatural also it takes away that dark ominous feeling to it that we all love so much from the original
 
06-02-12, 5:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 4621
Psychodrake said:
skudoops said:
The CGI sucks, but it's not as terrible as I thought it would be, since they used a certain style to try to cover up the CGI and make it blend in better. Also ZetaZaku even in the manga they said it was just to warm him up, there was no other explanation beyond that. To me the most disappointing thing was how they handled Zodd, they messed didn't put the build up to him (dilos) and they didn't show him in the same state he was in the manga.


Certain parts of the CGI are fantastic. Zodd mainly, he looked AMAZING.

The majority of the human CGI was awful though. I can see why they did it however, it does save time.


Yeah his CGI was decent, and to clarify my intial quote I meant they messed up the build up to revealing zodd. He didn't have the two guys impaled on his sword nor did you get to see dilos. The human CGI needs to go though, or only used for zoomed out shots, cause it wasn't very noticeable when they zoomed out.
 
06-02-12, 5:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 4621
Shih said:
] I saw this as a power struggle. I don't know if I'm right but this is how I interpret it from the movie. Julius never liked Grifith to begin with (due to various reasons). Julius is heir to the throne, so when he saw Grifith hitting on the princess, Grifith became a threat to him.


You are right btw. It was jealously and feeling threatened by griffith's rise to power.. especially because he was a peasant.
 
06-03-12, 9:22 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 62
Just finished watching the movie and I agree with the guy who said that this is one of those movies where you had to read the manga/watch the anime to get the full gist of the story. If a random person watches it then they will probably think it's just some random action flick set in medieval times with monsters, but there's so much more to it than that.

I didn't mind the CGI as much as the fact that they didn't get the story across that well. I honestly liked the anime more simply due to the story telling.

Shih said:
Well, for someone that knew nothing about Berserk (such as myself), the movie is very enjoyable to watch, especially with the animation quality. The action is great, the deaths look more realistic than most animes. However, its subtitle is "Haou no Tamago" yet the audience learn almost nothing about the egg. Lastly, the end wasn't great, the movie ends with a speech from Griffith. It does not feel very satisfying nor it give the anxiety to watch its sequel.


At this point in the story the only info about the egg is what Zodd tells you. You don't learn anything else until later in the story.

There is a lot left out in the story, such as Gambino, the rich child molester that hired the hawks (who should come out in the next movie, but should've been mentioned in this one), interaction between the main characters, and gut's childhood( goes with gambino).
Modified by newtonsballs, 06-03-12, 9:28 PM
 
06-03-12, 9:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 267
I just finished the movie, and it was awesome! I can't wait to own this on Blu-ray when viz releases it, and the next movie should even better!
 
06-03-12, 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 267
I liked it, but the cgi when they were just talking was brutal. I'll probably buy the blu-ray, because well it's freaking Berserk...
 
06-03-12, 10:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 361
If this gets a theatrical release in Canada, I'm so re-watching.

Burrrzurk man...
 
06-04-12, 1:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1230
I Loved it , in 1080p it's really awesome :D

::My Rating::
Story 8.5/10 - little bit rushed
Animation 10/10 - i didn't notice CGI thingy :} it didn't bother me
Sounds 9.5/10 - i liked the main characters voices , musics was good on the background :}
-MY- Enjoyment - 10/10 - and i gave it this score cuz i love it

this movie in my opinion was just an introduction , real berserk will start from the 2nd one :} and i can't wait for it ..

---

Best 2 moments in the movie :P

1- Guts standing with a funny pose when the king appeared , in the spoiler:

i LOLed @ it xD

2- Griffith eye when he was staring @ julius

i think @ that moment his real face appeared :}
Anime List || Manga List || Collection
...
( Man does not utter any word except that with him is an observer prepared [to record].
And the intoxication of death will bring the truth; that is what you were trying to avoid.
And the Horn will be blown. That is the Day of [carrying out] the threat.
And every soul will come, with it a driver and a witness. )
{Qaf:18-21}

 
06-04-12, 1:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6846
Casca was a lot hotter in the previous TV Series and Manga not that i complaint about it (with a little fan service).

Well this is a movie so i wouldn't complaint about the pace it's just 1 hour show so i didn't expect a lot of details to be explained.

PS : it's just the 1st movie but i already preparing my mental for the 3rd movie
 
06-04-12, 2:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 2935
Shih said:
I saw this as a power struggle. I don't know if I'm right but this is how I interpret it from the movie. Julius never liked Grifith to begin with (due to various reasons). Julius is heir to the throne, so when he saw Grifith hitting on the princess, Grifith became a threat to him.

Maybe it is something like this, but they showed Julius just for a few minutes before the assassination attempt. We did see that he didn't want Griffith close to the princess, but the assassination plot was rushed and pointless. To someone who didn't read the manga, it looked like a stupid excuse to send Guts to kill someone and show some blood.
 
06-04-12, 2:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
This is just a small taster of what's to come. So be excited :D

I would give it an 8/10.

Everything is positive except that:

- Negatives:
The story was a little rushed, some of the Band of the Hawk members didn't have
as much of the spotlight as they should've done. As well as Gut's past but I'm sure
they will explore that later in future films.

The length as well, it's abit short, the runtime is 70 mins long but all will be sorted in the next 2 movies, I've heard they're going to be 100 to 110 mins which is going to be awesome.

+ Positives:
Animation is brilliant, fluid movement, great atmosphere, CGI is awkward on 1 or 2 occasions but is well implemented at the end of the day.

Music and character voices is great and loyal to the Berserk world.

Action scenes are awesome to watch, the CGI gives the scenes more movement.

+/-Neutral
Everything happens so fast which means no one should find a single moment in the movie boring, maybe because it was a little rushed but all fits well.

SUPPORT the movies, BUY the DVDs or there won't be a 4th movie and so on. The more darker arcs have never been animated so it would be such a shame to not see them come to life...
 
06-04-12, 3:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 215
ZetaZaku said:
Shih said:
I saw this as a power struggle. I don't know if I'm right but this is how I interpret it from the movie. Julius never liked Grifith to begin with (due to various reasons). Julius is heir to the throne, so when he saw Grifith hitting on the princess, Grifith became a threat to him.

Maybe it is something like this, but they showed Julius just for a few minutes before the assassination attempt. We did see that he didn't want Griffith close to the princess, but the assassination plot was rushed and pointless. To someone who didn't read the manga, it looked like a stupid excuse to send Guts to kill someone and show some blood.


Geez. You really don't know how to read the mood. It was clear from the beginning that Julius didn't like Griffith. Already in the first battle it was clear that he was annoyed buy the praise the other commanders and nobles gave Griffith. Griffith was stealing his position as a vanguard of the army and hurting his pride and fame. Ofcourse he wanted Griffith gone. And when Griffith saw him in the forest(from the direction which the arrow was coming from) it was clear that he wanted Griffith dead. I mean why wouldn't he? Griffith knew he wasn't welcomed by many of the nobles especially Julius. Griffith had to take Julius out before Julius got him first.
 
06-04-12, 4:01 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17843
i guess Guts and Griffith will be bitter enemies in the future, im not a manga reader but im gonna google some more spoilers about this

i like this Berserk now, the movie was good i gave it 8/10

my only complain is that they could have made this all CGI already to make it more consistent looking since i find the CGI not bad at all
 
06-04-12, 4:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 15
They should of made it go longer. There was no character development.
Modified by vattic1, 06-04-12, 4:25 AM
Sense is like Cheese.
 
06-04-12, 4:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1067
Finally watched it. Just in time for the second one, eh. Probably another year for that.

Decent, but they should have just continued where the series left - this movie was done for people who are familiar with the source material anyway.
 
06-04-12, 5:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3812
Damn, that was actually pretty good. It's true that the CGI is very iffy in spots, and in some scenes it was odd why they even used it in the first place, but if this means that the movies come out every 3-6 months instead of every year or two then I'm more than satisfied with it. Amazing, no, but it's a quality entry in the Berserk series that fans will at least enjoy.

I wish it was a bit longer, but oh well. At least the second one is coming out soon.

7/10
 
06-04-12, 5:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 972
4/10 for the movie.Zodd scene was have suck animation and Griffith is like a girl.
 
06-04-12, 6:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1468
8.5/10 - Lots of eye-candy (if you don't mind the rampant CG, I don't), fantastic music and atmosphere, fantastic characterization. The pacing a bit iffy, too hurried - but that's just typical of movies. The writing was also good, and for once didn't cater to the lowest common denominator by explaining each obvious decision.

BUT NO NAKED WATER FIGHT. WHY.
 
06-04-12, 7:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 556
Loved it. A few things I'm somewhat disappointed about such as the cutting of certain character bonding moments, namely the naked water fight as the above poster pointed out. That was sort of iconic I find.

The CGI isn't terrible. At least the important scenes were done with great care, the majority of CGI being used on large scenes featuring a lot of people. However, close-ups of CGI characters reminds me of Trip from a game called Facade. Google it. It's pretty bad.

The assassination was the best scene, followed by Zodd's scene. These were handled well. The Behelit being revealed at Zodd's scene instead of the water fight is a bit odd to take in but I'm sure this was made to bring in fans of the manga or not, regardless, they pushed the right buttons for me.

I have a few other problems. The overall art style is not grimey enough for Berserk, and it felt like watching Berserk in K-On!'s artstyle. This was amplified by Charlotte's appearance, as she pretty much screams moe in the movie.

Good movie. Could be better, regardless, I'm happy as a Berserk fan to see certain scenes done justice. I've given it a 9 just because I want to see the rating boosted a little.
Modified by Psychodrake, 06-04-12, 7:22 AM
 
06-04-12, 9:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10142
j0x said:
i guess Guts and Griffith will be bitter enemies in the future, im not a manga reader but im gonna google some more spoilers about this

i like this Berserk now, the movie was good i gave it 8/10

my only complain is that they could have made this all CGI already to make it more consistent looking since i find the CGI not bad at all
I would suggest to be very careful of your mentality. Some of the stuff I have seen of the manga of this series is 10 TIME WORST than the anime and Movie in terms of sex, blood and psychological Trauma. The manga is nothing of kiddy and TBH it's rated in Canada as 17+ Mature.
ClaudiusClotaire said:
If this gets a theatrical release in Canada, I'm so re-watching.
You might want to check 2 events that are major in regards to that. Fantasia and World Film Festival but that's in Montreal only.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
 
06-04-12, 10:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 55
The Op had images of farnese, serpico and the rest of the gang. Does this mean there's hope for more films after the trilogy ends?
 
06-04-12, 10:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10142
raduccio said:
The Op had images of farnese, serpico and the rest of the gang. Does this mean there's hope for more films after the trilogy ends?
To answer you with a TBH, look @:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2593/Kara_no_Kyoukai_1:_Fukan_Fuukei
it has over7 movies. So it's quite possible as long as this series is as popular as Kara was that it could get as much as those movies. In fact TBH 8 movies might have to be in need to cover all of Berserk or maybe more.

Regardless I think it would be nice to have this much movies. The 3 first ones only-began up the story, it's what happens after that is the true start of all.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
 
06-04-12, 11:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 400
Looks like now he killed the kid by accident, I knew GUTS wasn't that evil.
 
06-04-12, 12:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 171
Insanely good, i've been waiting forever for this lol. The only part i didn't like was some of the CG-ish artstyle like the one they used in the bigger battles but most of the time they had that ordinary cell shaded-ish style which where great. Really looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd one... and i should probably catch up with the manga, i'm like 60-80 chapters behind haha.
 
06-04-12, 1:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 529
I think Intestines is a pretty cool guy, eh has a hueg sword, kills little kids and doesn't afraid of gay secks.
 
06-04-12, 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 556
Dizzee said:
Looks like now he killed the kid by accident, I knew GUTS wasn't that evil.


It was always accidental, he was pretty gutted in the manga too.
 
06-04-12, 2:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 400
Psychodrake said:
Dizzee said:
Looks like now he killed the kid by accident, I knew GUTS wasn't that evil.


It was always accidental, he was pretty gutted in the manga too.

STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about. In the TV series he actually saw the boy first, said "he saw me" and then killed him without any regret. In the movie version it was much more emotional
 
06-04-12, 3:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5163
Dizzee said:
Psychodrake said:
Dizzee said:
Looks like now he killed the kid by accident, I knew GUTS wasn't that evil.


It was always accidental, he was pretty gutted in the manga too.

STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about. In the TV series he actually saw the boy first, said "he saw me" and then killed him without any regret. In the movie version it was much more emotional


Yeah, the movie was pretty good. I don't know why so many people are complaining about the art style. It was refreshing compared to the anime version. The way they re-did scenes like this one to put a much bigger impact. In both versions you can see Guts had regret, for killing the boy, but in the anime he did it because it was necessary since he saw him. In the movie it was more accidental because he just killed him without even noticing it was a boy before to late, emotionally hurting Guts as he does not know what to do for the boy so just grabs his hand. Overall it was a pretty good watch. They tried twisting some big scenes that were in the anime and did a good job on it. Can't wait for the second part.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Site & Forum Guidelines | MAL Guidelines | Report Abuse
 
06-04-12, 4:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1127
son i am disapoint

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
06-04-12, 6:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2616
Well, I have to admit it was better than I expected and I liked the art more than in the series. Looking forward to second movie.


 
06-04-12, 8:41 PM

Online
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17843
Yumekichi11 said:
I would suggest to be very careful of your mentality. Some of the stuff I have seen of the manga of this series is 10 TIME WORST than the anime and Movie in terms of sex, blood and psychological Trauma. The manga is nothing of kiddy and TBH it's rated in Canada as 17+ Mature.


just googling the phrase "guts berserk wikia" already gave me the overview of whats to come lol, but ye i can imagine that the manga is pretty disturbing material from what i have read on wikia.com
 
06-04-12, 9:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2006
Just watched the movie finally with English subs. I have to admit i went into it with low expectations because I knew that it could never do the manga justice. In that respect I was totally correct. Its not a bad movie I definitely enjoyed it, but it was way too short left out a ton of important bits from the Golden Age Arc. I'm amazed at how poorly they handled Guts childhood. It moved too fast in my opinion, trying to put my self into the shoes of someone who has never read the story it would probably be a very confusing movie. I do have to say that the art, apart from the CG was very good, the voice acting wasn't bad but nothing memorable, and the soundtrack wasn't very memorable either. All in all I liked the movie, I have high hopes for the sequel due to the trailer at the end of the first movie. Looks like it will not only be longer but cover things better than the first movie did. Hopefully these three movies will spark a new OVA series for berserk with quality animation and covering all of the manga.

Edit: I forgot to add that I loved the assassination scene it was faithfully done and captured that sense of horror. That was a very important part in that arc and they nailed it in the movie much better than how it was in the original Anime.
 
06-04-12, 10:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 100
The runtime is sinfully short. 70 minutes, not including credits and previews.

That said, the void left by the cut material doesn't seem too bad. I guess. I'll test it on someone who hasn't read the season before tomorrow.
 
06-05-12, 3:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 556
Ragix said:
Dizzee said:
Psychodrake said:
Dizzee said:
Looks like now he killed the kid by accident, I knew GUTS wasn't that evil.


It was always accidental, he was pretty gutted in the manga too.

STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about. In the TV series he actually saw the boy first, said "he saw me" and then killed him without any regret. In the movie version it was much more emotional


Yeah, the movie was pretty good. I don't know why so many people are complaining about the art style. It was refreshing compared to the anime version. The way they re-did scenes like this one to put a much bigger impact. In both versions you can see Guts had regret, for killing the boy, but in the anime he did it because it was necessary since he saw him. In the movie it was more accidental because he just killed him without even noticing it was a boy before to late, emotionally hurting Guts as he does not know what to do for the boy so just grabs his hand. Overall it was a pretty good watch. They tried twisting some big scenes that were in the anime and did a good job on it. Can't wait for the second part.


Well from what I've seen, it's a purposeful choice for them to make the Golden Age arc much brighter and happier looking. I bet the tone will shift through the art style as well as the script as we delve into the next few movies.

STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about. In the TV series he actually saw the boy first, said "he saw me" and then killed him without any regret. In the movie version it was much more emotional


I was talking about the manga, you the series. The series wasn't exactly known for being very true to the manga at times. Regardless, you didn't specify in your last post and say "STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about" like I should have some form of psychic power because of your own poor/vague writing skills.
 
06-05-12, 4:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5163
RedLikeMyRage said:
Just watched the movie finally with English subs. I have to admit i went into it with low expectations because I knew that it could never do the manga justice. In that respect I was totally correct. Its not a bad movie I definitely enjoyed it, but it was way too short left out a ton of important bits from the Golden Age Arc. I'm amazed at how poorly they handled Guts childhood. It moved too fast in my opinion, trying to put my self into the shoes of someone who has never read the story it would probably be a very confusing movie. I do have to say that the art, apart from the CG was very good, the voice acting wasn't bad but nothing memorable, and the soundtrack wasn't very memorable either. All in all I liked the movie, I have high hopes for the sequel due to the trailer at the end of the first movie. Looks like it will not only be longer but cover things better than the first movie did. Hopefully these three movies will spark a new OVA series for berserk with quality animation and covering all of the manga.

Edit: I forgot to add that I loved the assassination scene it was faithfully done and captured that sense of horror. That was a very important part in that arc and they nailed it in the movie much better than how it was in the original Anime.


Exactly. I feel as though a new comer to the Berserk series would really enjoy this, but at the same time would most likely be really confused with the dream sequence of Gut's past. I was only able to understand it as many of you I'm sure because I've watched the series and read the manga. A new viewer would probably be kind of confused. Since after all the pacing is MUCH more quicker then it should be. I think they are trying to get away with their popularity and kind of cut these major scenes short assuming we already know the story. If I was a first time watcher my impression would be "okay a black guy... he's laughing and seems bad... Staring at a sword.... Theirs a guy on a cliff.. and oh! his head fell off."

While obviously their is more to it then that.

Anyways I'm pretty much just supporting these movies in hopes to spark a continuation as well from where the anime left off if they get popular enough. Plus maybe they'll actually put out more chapters of the manga instead of making us wait months for a small chapter. Not saying I didn't enjoy it though. It's great being able to watch Berserk in a new way after watching the anime quite some time ago.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Site & Forum Guidelines | MAL Guidelines | Report Abuse
 
06-05-12, 5:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 400
Psychodrake said:
Ragix said:
Dizzee said:
Psychodrake said:
Dizzee said:
Looks like now he killed the kid by accident, I knew GUTS wasn't that evil.


It was always accidental, he was pretty gutted in the manga too.

STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about. In the TV series he actually saw the boy first, said "he saw me" and then killed him without any regret. In the movie version it was much more emotional


STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about. In the TV series he actually saw the boy first, said "he saw me" and then killed him without any regret. In the movie version it was much more emotional


I was talking about the manga, you the series. The series wasn't exactly known for being very true to the manga at times. Regardless, you didn't specify in your last post and say "STFU if u don't know what I'm talking about" like I should have some form of psychic power because of your own poor/vague writing skills.

This post was meant for people who watched TV version, as I said before If you didn't understood what I said than don't reply thinking that you found a stupid.
Modified by Dizzee, 06-05-12, 6:07 AM
 
06-05-12, 6:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 197
Too short, they cut some cool parts D=.They should have stopped the first film on guts leaving, I thought that at least the end would be better than after the conversation between Charlotte and Griffith.

Guts killing Adonis was pretty touching, they made the scene even more tragic

Loved the graphics, they looked pretty weird because I'm not used to it, but even so, they were amazing *-*. They looked like video game graphics and not anime xD

Loved the soundtrack was well

Even so, I think that they could have made some improvements.


 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy