Forum Settings
Forums

Script Writer of Persona 4 Criticizes the Scenario of Guilty Crown [Update Feb 4]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2012 9:00 PM

Nov 2011
FatherAnderson said:
His criticism of Guilty Crown is completely founded. Persona 4: The Animation is a great adaptation of the game and his script writing for it is perfectly fine. Guilty Crown has no damn excuse for having cliche characters with no substance. The damn show can't even do fan-service right which is just sad.

(Waits to get mauled by Guilty Crown fans)

But wait shouldn't that make his job easier if it's a game adaption since he already has a foundation to write his script on?
Also I can't say I'm a big fan of either show but it seems like a whole lot of people on MAL haven't exactly thought one is better then the other.. They both have about a rating of 7.7-7.8.

Not choosing sides but just pointing out. Plus of course their is going to be a crap-load of bias here since Persona 4 was a fantastic game so of course a ton of fans are going to take Personas side then of course GC fans will take their own side.

It's obvious Persona is going to get a more credibility seeing as how the franchise is so popular where as GC didn't get this advantage.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 2, 2012 9:05 PM

Jul 2011
Best script writer ever then.
Feb 2, 2012 9:08 PM

Apr 2010
Great, let's compare two completely different shows.

Guilty Crown sucks because their characters are cliched and one dimensional, its plot is all over the place but atleast the animation is good.

Persona 4 is awesome, characters have really colorful personalities (although the protagonist is one of the most awkward person I've seen.), its plot is very interesting and is almost a perfect adaptation of the game itself (it's like a Japanese scooby-doo, lol!) but the animation is crap.

Why do GC sell? Because of its OST and its animation. I don't see why one would even buy it for any other reason.

Why do P4 sell? Because the franchise is very popular and the anime doesn't fail to cater to the fans, and is also very watchable to people new to Persona.
Feb 2, 2012 9:09 PM

Feb 2010
Ragix said:

But wait shouldn't that make his job easier if it's a game adaption since he already has a foundation to write his script on?

Exactly. Any cliches or problems with the plot are only problems if you deviate from the source material. He never deviated that far from the Persona 4 game and when he did the results were either amusing or interesting. This is the mark of a good writer.

Guilty Crown on the other hand had freedom to be whatever it wanted to be and unfortunately chose to be a shallow show with terrible pacing. Series with no source materials have no excuse for this.
FatherAndersonFeb 2, 2012 9:21 PM
Feb 2, 2012 9:10 PM

Feb 2011
Thus why people should tweet when they're famous: they get flamed like a mofo....
Feb 2, 2012 9:13 PM

Apr 2010
FatherAnderson said:
Ragix said:

Exactly. Any cliches or problems with the plot are only problems if you deviate from the source material. He never deviated that far from the Persona 4 game and when he did the results were either amusing or interesting.

Guilty Crown on the other hand had freedom to be whatever it wanted to be and unfortunately chose to be a shallow show with terrible pacing.

Persona 4 has such a colorful cast, and even "filler" episodes are enjoyable as heck
Feb 2, 2012 9:19 PM

Jun 2011
Ragix said:

Also I can't say I'm a big fan of either show but it seems like a whole lot of people on MAL haven't exactly thought one is better then the other.. They both have about a rating of 7.7-7.8.

Not at all, starting from scratch would probably be easier. Games are not built to be adapted into movies or TV series, they are structured to have physical interaction [the controller] and other systems in place [leveling, crafting] that really can't be incorporated at all into an adaption. Often more than not, these types of elements dominate the game over things like story and so forth. Ones that have alternative or multiple endings add further complications, as story lines diverge and you're left trying to make sense of completely contradicting realities so to speak. Combined with the fact the studio that made it might want certain things, it can get tricky to say the least.

I don't say that to defend persona, as I have neither seen that nor guilty crown or anything that has to do with them aside from hearsay.

To those who say guilty crown is at least "animated well", then more power to them for wasting a colossal amount of money on a piece of crap [since this thread seems to be saying both are crap, just arguing what is worse]. Crap is crap either way, you can paint over it all you want, but I could care less about production values considering nothing really looks that bad nowadays that it can be compared to the former 4:3 resolution and yellow subtitles. What I want is a good story, either through characters or plots or something of the sorts that actually makes a lasting impact on me and convinces me the staff did something other than throw money at their problems, that actual ingenuity was there.

I don't see why Persona being more successful should stop him at all. Something shouldn't have to be ridiculously successful for you to have an opinion on it, a bad story is a bad story and it SHOULD be noted by such people so we don't get further repeats of such nonsense.
Feb 2, 2012 9:20 PM

Dec 2010
How is Persona 4 better?

Well whatever, anime director drama HOY!
Feb 2, 2012 9:22 PM

Mar 2009
dtshyk said:
He said "I'm concerned about it as a writer."

You don't need to be a writer to be concerned about Guilty Crown. At this rate, it's shaping up to be the worst anime to air on the Noitamina block, even surpassing Jyu-oh-sei's awfulness.
Feb 2, 2012 9:24 PM

Jul 2008
I always hate it when people in the industry feel the need to comment on products that aren't their own, like they need an ego boost. The entirety of Persona 4 is awesome, but I think people like that should just write their stories and shut up about some other product unless they are going to praise it a little bit.

Feb 2, 2012 9:27 PM

Jun 2011
CCs_No1_Fanboy said:
I always hate it when people in the industry feel the need to comment on products that aren't their own, like they need an ego boost. The entirety of Persona 4 is awesome, but I think people like that should just write their stories and shut up about some other product unless they are going to praise it a little bit.

I don't see why they should, it's not as if they can't be criticized themselves for their work. That's part of the risk you take when you criticize someone else.

As an analytical personality, I see the need to correct things when they are wrong, not just sweep it under the rug and forget about it. Thus when things aren't working, I'd like to see progress in the right direction. If people weren't so afraid to criticize, maybe we'd have better anime instead of all this run of the mill fan service nonsense.
Feb 2, 2012 9:29 PM

Apr 2010
Lauriet said:
How is Persona 4 better?

Well whatever, anime director drama HOY!

Interesting plot that isn't all over the place and colorful characters.

GC doesn't even have that, the BASIS of an anime.
Feb 2, 2012 9:37 PM

May 2011
I mean, I've enjoyed Guilty Crown so far, but I'd have to agree with him; it's definetly got its problems. I have trouble following what little sense they're trying to make with that story. ^^V

I do find it funny that he is the one criticizing it. Persona does well with its initial setup because it's a game adaptioin, but it does leave enough to be desired.

I'm not really tryin to hate on either one, though. This whole thing's hillarious. xD
Feb 2, 2012 9:39 PM

Apr 2009
What the fuck is wrong with you people? They are both terrible pieces of shit. You'd have to be a castrated fanboy to not see that.
Feb 2, 2012 9:42 PM

Aug 2011
Well Mr. Kumagaya, I have one thing to say to you.

Feb 2, 2012 9:43 PM

Apr 2009
He is pretty right even though he isn't the one to brag. GC is a terrible show
Feb 2, 2012 9:50 PM

Jan 2011
He prohably said this to knock GC creators off thier high horse. Can you believe GC creators deny any similarties GC has to Code geass?
[center]
Feb 2, 2012 9:51 PM

Nov 2011
RandomStuff said:
Ragix said:

Not at all, starting from scratch would probably be easier. Games are not built to be adapted into movies or TV series, they are structured to have physical interaction [the controller] and other systems in place [leveling, crafting] that really can't be incorporated at all into an adaption. Often more than not, these types of elements dominate the game over things like story and so forth. Ones that have alternative or multiple endings add further complications, as story lines diverge and you're left trying to make sense of completely contradicting realities so to speak. Combined with the fact the studio that made it might want certain things, it can get tricky to say the least.

I don't say that to defend persona, as I have neither seen that nor guilty crown or anything that has to do with them aside from hearsay.

To those who say guilty crown is at least "animated well", then more power to them for wasting a colossal amount of money on a piece of crap [since this thread seems to be saying both are crap, just arguing what is worse]. Crap is crap either way, you can paint over it all you want, but I could care less about production values considering nothing really looks that bad nowadays that it can be compared to the former 4:3 resolution and yellow subtitles. What I want is a good story, either through characters or plots or something of the sorts that actually makes a lasting impact on me and convinces me the staff did something other than throw money at their problems, that actual ingenuity was there.

I don't see why Persona being more successful should stop him at all. Something shouldn't have to be ridiculously successful for you to have an opinion on it, a bad story is a bad story and it SHOULD be noted by such people so we don't get further repeats of such nonsense.

Although Persona 4 was a RPG game and was well-known for it's well-done story and plot plus of course the characters themselves. So I am a bit on the fence with you there. I do see as how it could be difficult in some cases but I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble for them.

I do agree with you on pretty much everything else though. I do see as how GC would have an advantage as well by starting from scratch having all that time to be able to create a good story however I guess the creators focused to much on making it look good and didn't think about the context in story that much. Which in the end of course is their downfall, because if the story is shit then it's not going to stick with me even if it does look good.

Also the whole success thing was meant towards the franchise itself not his opinion on GC. Of course I don't mind if he feels he needs to openly share his opinion about the show.

I was stating that since the Persona game franchise is so well-known and successful of course the anime itself would have a ton of popularity.(I'm sure by merely stating their was going to be a Persona 4 Animation a bunch of fans of the game franchise probably went wild right away) even if it isn't exactly a fantastic anime.
Which we seem to understand considering it seems like their are mixed reviews when it comes to these two animes. (Like you said choosing which is the worse)

The only advantage I could see the makers of Persona having is their money since the company is I'm sure far more well off then the makers of GC are. However it seems the makers of GC spends more time focusing on animation and less on story.(based on reviews)

Can't say much though quite yet. Now that I'm caught up in this mess just going to have to see for myself! Already currently watching Persona 4 but I guess I can't have a fair opinion on GC til I watch a few more episodes of it.
Feb 2, 2012 9:52 PM

May 2010
DraconisMarch said:

THIS POST SIR IS WIN!!! LMAO
Feb 2, 2012 10:02 PM

May 2011
Project_MkUltra said:
But Persona is horrible

Still infinitely better than GC.
Feb 2, 2012 10:19 PM

Aug 2007
Both series are meh. Stop complaining about other series and actually make something worth the hype then Japan.
Feb 2, 2012 10:23 PM

Oct 2008
Wait I'm confused.... 10,000 copies? so is that considered success or failure for GC?

and also I'd prefer watching GC rather than P4 even though I'm DLing both coz P4's artwork is.....>.>"

Feb 2, 2012 10:25 PM

Aug 2009
Okay, I loved Persona 4... as a video game. But the anime is god awful. The writing, the animation, all of it. Anyone that likes it could only like it for two reasons:

1. They like the franchise too much to admit that any part of it is shit.
2. It's kind of like a bulldog. It's ugly-cute. As in, it's so bad that it's good.

Or something like that.

At least Guilty Crown is pretty to look at.
Feb 2, 2012 10:39 PM

May 2008
sense a hint of jealousy
Feb 2, 2012 10:53 PM

Apr 2007
As bad as GC was at times, P4 was consistently worse...
Feb 2, 2012 10:54 PM

Oct 2007
VioLink said:
He prohably said this to knock GC creators off thier high horse. Can you believe GC creators deny any similarties GC has to Code geass?

You mean like how the initials for Guilty Crown are just the initials for Code Geass backwards?

MIND=BLOWN!
Feb 2, 2012 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
LOL to the people who think Persona 4 is shitty when it has one of the best character and story developments from the fall season. What kind of development does Guilty Crown have? Nothing. Just lots of cool action scenes then BAM! Your given something totally random and unplanned.
Feb 2, 2012 11:13 PM

Sep 2010
inb4 1,000 posts of shit tossing between GC fanboys and haters.

As for me I like this anime only thing it lacks is a smooth plot since it seems to jump around alot and doesn't explain much plus the episodes don't connect. Cause I really wanted to see what happened next just to see something else entirely different happen at the beginning of the next episode. Other than that its very good imo. Still 8/10 material for me haven't caught up to the latest episode yet I'm still on episode 11.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 2, 2012 11:15 PM

Aug 2010
I don't think these two shows are utter abominations, but neither as great works. They are decent at best. However, when it comes to script writing, there is no argument. They both lose.
SagaraYuzuruSep 2, 2012 1:04 AM
Feb 2, 2012 11:31 PM

Aug 2010
I watch and enjoy both shows for what they are worth. He really is in no position to criticize though.
Feb 2, 2012 11:33 PM

Apr 2010
Meh, whatever.

Persona is more enjoyable so far.
Feb 2, 2012 11:41 PM

Mar 2011
hakati said:
sense a hint of jealousy

jealous of what? Persona 4 sold 4x more than GC.
Feb 2, 2012 11:47 PM

Jan 2008
Thread should be renamed to Persona vs GC fanboys/girls...

As for me: both stuff are horrible, but GC is still slightly better.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Feb 2, 2012 11:49 PM
Sep 2010
Could care less what others think (writer of persona and other GC haters) I enjoy both anime series and won't stop watching either one. Don't know why everyone gets all butt hurt about these kind of things.
Feb 3, 2012 12:05 AM

Apr 2011
Lolwut? Really? o.o

GC is a lot better compared to Persona since the latter has some of the most horrible pacing issues you could ever see in an anime.

He's not even in the position to criticize GC anyway.
Feb 3, 2012 12:10 AM

Nov 2011
Why don't we just come to the conclusion that both are mediocre animes at best and have one giant group hug.
Feb 3, 2012 12:17 AM

Apr 2011
Even after reading everyone's posts... I still don't get why there's so much hate on either side. I love both but I guess haters gonna hate.
Feb 3, 2012 12:52 AM

Jul 2011
thank god someone important in the anime industry point this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you GOD!!!!

GC animation is so fuckin beautiful~ oh just look at GC's background art!!! COOL!!! the character design are attractive, the color, the art, everything is so PERFECT...

EXCEPT!! The story sucked! the Character's personality suck! cliche! annoying! one-dimensional! eww and lets don't talk about the dialogue, lol so stupid!!

it breaks my heart to see an anime with big budget production, which are potential to be epic, becomes a failure because an incompetent scriptwriter etc
Feb 3, 2012 12:58 AM

Aug 2008
Persona 4 is really bad, GC is utter shit
Feb 3, 2012 12:59 AM

Oct 2011
i can see why he criticizes it, as it's a bit of a mess; inconsistent from episode to episode - it is a show that has a ton of potential, but so far has not realized it - i actually thought about half the episodes were at least good and a couple of them great - the problem with guilty crown is in it's lack of consistency........
Feb 3, 2012 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
Guilty Crown is so cliche, that I couldnt get past ep 5. Although trying tremendously to endure that bullcrap. Visuals were nice --that's correct yes.

No personalities whatsoever, stupid dialogues, MC seiyuu is one that I can't stand either.
Feb 3, 2012 1:01 AM

Oct 2011
StormViruz said:
DraconisMarch said:

THIS POST SIR IS WIN!!! LMAO
love this post! the office (original) is one of the best shows ever!
Feb 3, 2012 1:08 AM

Sep 2010
octal9 said:
i can see why he criticizes it, as it's a bit of a mess; inconsistent from episode to episode - it is a show that has a ton of potential, but so far has not realized it - i actually thought about half the episodes were at least good and a couple of them great - the problem with guilty crown is in it's lack of consistency........

This pretty much.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 3, 2012 1:12 AM

Mar 2007
Production I.G. was really wasted on Guilty Crown.
Feb 3, 2012 1:22 AM
Nov 2011
Lol. x'd
I more like Guilty Crown...
But Persona isn't that bad...
Feb 3, 2012 1:41 AM

Apr 2009
Well, everybody should have noticed that Guilty Crown is the biggest piece of shit that aired in the last few months..maybe even years.

And Persona is actually a pretty faithful adaption (at least in my opinion), something most studios can't seem to get right. You got to give him some respect for that, despite what you might think of the franchise itself.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 3, 2012 1:42 AM

Apr 2011
I'm now starting to realise that half the people who are hating on GC don't realise that, at the moment, Shu is currently a complete badass who's prepared to rape whatever gets in his way with 50+ voids at his disposal lol....
Feb 3, 2012 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
No way Persona is/as worse than GC.. you mad haters...

Altho its maybe true if you think like this.

GC = Garbage tier story/script
P4 = garbage tier animation/production value.

P4 anime script is the only thing that make me enjoying the anime, its faithful to the game while makes some change to make the storytelling more efficient and still entertaining, n this guy does write some of the better eps.. (even if you still think the story is bad, its not the anime fault.) the only thing that look bad in anime is animation quality/production value n this guy have nothing to do with it.
Feb 3, 2012 1:57 AM

Jun 2008
As much as l sort of "love" Persona 4. The script in Persona 4 is worst than Guilty Crown. Everything in P4 is so rushed that hard is to watch at times. However, GC is told slight better than Persona 4. Just slightly, since GC's story is sort of a mess.
MimikoFeb 3, 2012 3:02 AM
Feb 3, 2012 2:00 AM

Apr 2009
I like how most people here have problems to actually spell properly. Shows what crowd GC attracts.
So much mad in this thread. People seems to have problems accepting this statement.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
33 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 10 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.