MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Script Writer of Persona 4 Criticizes the Scenario of Guilty Crown [Update Feb 4]
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Script Writer of Persona 4 Criticizes the Scenario of Guilty Crown [Update Feb 4]

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (12) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
02-04-12, 3:05 AM

Persona 4 should be more action-oriented. I know that the game isn't entirely focused on fighting shadows and is essentially fan service for those already acquainted with the video game, but the lack of decent action scenes really hinders the shows potential.

02-04-12, 3:13 AM

persona4 is never an action show to begin with anyway, so why expecting that?
its strength are the colourful characters and the little interesting scenarios. No point deviate from the plot just for the sake of it. It's a slice of life/comedy/mystery show with those persona battles as gateways to help getting to the next point in the story.

it's like saying madoka should be moremonster-of-the-week oriented

02-04-12, 5:50 AM

imo anime fans today look for different things than back in 2006 or back in 1996

02-04-12, 8:56 AM

FroZen109 said:
i thought that both show were bad. are they even getting an audience?

Bad shows doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable to watch. :P

02-04-12, 9:52 AM

O'dear, o'dear.

02-04-12, 10:23 AM

LOL oh wow tbh neither shows are horrible so I dunno what the big fuss is about.

Persona haters to the left, GC haters to the right.

The Persona anime is actually as close as a game to anime adaptation is probably ever going to get. It destroys Tales of the Abyss's anime for sure.

Guilty Crown is just fine. I love how lots of people are going ape shit over these two animes in the beginning and now they're like "LOL IT'S SO SHIT."

Make up your fucking minds before you join the 'in' crowd, whatever that is.

02-05-12, 1:05 PM

Even if Persona''s script is bad, it doesn't mean he cannot criticize guilty crown's script, which really was bad, at least for the first half.

02-05-12, 5:05 PM

dtshyk said:
[Persona 4] Script writer Kumagaya Jun tweeted that he was perplexed to see Guilty Crown sold 10,000 copies. "I'm concerned about it as a writer. Although the animation graphics were great, the scenario was in that quality."

Kumagaya apologized on his twitter account that he had made offensive and self-centered remarks.

That Kumagaya guy sounds like a "bitch-ass punk" and the now-run-of-the-mill "herbivore man" to me.

If you're gonna talk mess about someone or something, stand by it. "Shit sells," but you don't need to take it.

(I don't like Persona either, but atleast it has some history going on.)

02-05-12, 8:18 PM

butthurt... how offensive could it have been?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys

02-06-12, 3:29 AM

Says the guy responsible for the fag episode... Both shows suck in one way or another. Fix yourself first, then complain about other mediocre titles.
Ii tenki desu ne...

02-10-12, 6:02 PM

Guilty Crown is one of the most atrocious shows in recent years but this is really a case with a pot calling a kettle black. The Persona 4 anime really took a shit on the original game, especially the script which turned everyone into shallow asshats and cared more about terrible comedy segments than taking anything seriously.

02-26-12, 7:56 PM

why does this thread consist mostly of fans of one or neither show calling one or both horrible? why do you gotta hate? why can't people like one or both? people take things so seriously. I could say "oh you hate GC / Persona but you like THAT SHOW WTF?". I mean people have different tastes. I suppose GC/P4 could be better but I still find both enjoyable.

02-26-12, 8:20 PM

Tyrenol said:
dtshyk said:
[Persona 4] Script writer Kumagaya Jun tweeted that he was perplexed to see Guilty Crown sold 10,000 copies. "I'm concerned about it as a writer. Although the animation graphics were great, the scenario was in that quality."

Kumagaya apologized on his twitter account that he had made offensive and self-centered remarks.

That Kumagaya guy sounds like a "bitch-ass punk" and the now-run-of-the-mill "herbivore man" to me.

If you're gonna talk mess about someone or something, stand by it. "Shit sells," but you don't need to take it.

(I don't like Persona either, but atleast it has some history going on.)
Pretty sure if he didn't apologize, this thread would've be even more of a shitstorm than it already is. Nothing wrong with apologizing.

If the media wasn't in on this a comment like that will probably be ignored anyways. Now MAL just makes a big deal out of it for 8 pages.

02-27-12, 5:03 AM

mystik said:
calling one or both horrible?
mystik said:
why can't people like one or both?
There's a massive difference between liking something and thinking it's good. It's okay if you like shit--just don't go trying to pass it off as though it were good in any way.

02-27-12, 9:21 AM

DraconisMarch said:
There's a massive difference between liking something and thinking it's good. It's okay if you like shit--just don't go trying to pass it off as though it were good in any way.

But what you or I think is good/bad has no bearing on what other people think is good/bad. Not everyone watches every show for the same reasons anyway. If what mystik wants out of a show is different from what you want out of a show or what I want out of a show, then we're not even evaluating the worth of the show by the same standard.

Maybe Fan A is watching a show for the animation, Fan B for the seiyuu and music, Fan C for the plot twists, Fan D for a strict adaptation of the source material, Fan E for that one character they really love. Fan A thinks the animation is terrible so the show is terrible but Fan C finds the plot twists engaging so the show is enjoyable. Even if he might agree the animation isn't great. Fan C never experienced the manga/novel/game and likes the suspense of not knowing what's next, while Fan D thinks it's suspenseful enough but not faithful to the source and so a failure as an adaptation. Fan E doesn't care about any of that, because [Character A] is the most wonderful character ever.

I actually completely agree it's possible to like a show while acknowledging there are things it does poorly, even terribly. I think Angel Beats!' writing and pacing were awful at times, but I watched it for its character drama and emotional impact so I loved it. I think Kill Me Baby has laughably bad production values but I'm still watching it because it makes me laugh just enough to work. Same goes for disliking a show while acknowledging its strengths. No matter how violently Index makes me twitch, it's obvious why it's so legitimately appealing for so many people. Those people just want different things from it than I would.

Where you run into a problem is in passing some all-encompassing, objective (but totally not) judgment on a show and applying it to other people, and implying they're "wrong" to think otherwise, even if they don't agree to your concept of quality closely - or at all. I've never ever understood the appeal of trying to force that on other people.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/

02-29-12, 5:21 AM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
its funny seeing a director that did a awful job writing his show complain about another show that does a awful job at writing too

It takes one to know one?

I agree with him. The show is crap.

GC reminds me of WWE.

GC has great production and visuals. But the characters lack substance, the drama is nonsensical, and everyone takes turns going back and forth from "heel" to "face." In the end, it feels like mindless entertainment.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and i shouldn't get worked up if they don't similarly agree with me. However, I do cringe when I see "Guilty Grown" and "greatest anime ever" used in the same paragraph. I mean common, really?!?
Modified by Cirris, 02-29-12, 9:57 PM

02-29-12, 5:41 AM

KayChan4U said:
The Persona anime is actually as close as a game to anime adaptation is probably ever going to get. It destroys Tales of the Abyss's anime for sure.

It doesn’t matter if it is a close adaptation. We can’t think only about how everything is happening almost exactly as the game and the characters are basically the same. It doesn’t flow well as a tv series, because they were not able to adapt it correctly. In the end, P4 is mere fanservice for those that played the game. Of course, some people that never actually played the game may eventually like it, but they are not the public this adaptation wants to get. P4 is a crazy cluster of events that were badly patched with one another in the episodes, and now the tv series will have to rush if it wants to get the best ending of the game.

02-29-12, 8:50 AM

Miya_F_Exia said:
KayChan4U said:

It doesn’t matter if it is a close adaptation. We can’t think only about how everything is happening almost exactly as the game and the characters are basically the same. It doesn’t flow well as a tv series, because they were not able to adapt it correctly. In the end, P4 is mere fanservice for those that played the game. Of course, some people that never actually played the game may eventually like it, but they are not the public this adaptation wants to get. P4 is a crazy cluster of events that were badly patched with one another in the episodes, and now the tv series will have to rush if it wants to get the best ending of the game.

I've never heard of the game before I heard of the anime adaption, but I still like the series quite much and find it to work very well as a TV Series. I do not like everything about it, but what I don't like most probably I wouldn't have liked in the game too.

and this:

Persona 4 should be more action-oriented. I know that the game isn't entirely focused on fighting shadows and is essentially fan service for those already acquainted with the video game, but the lack of decent action scenes really hinders the shows potential.

Is exactly what I don't want. The action parts are definitely not the highlight of the show and I definitely wouldn't like the series as much if they would have stretched those out more.

GC on the other hand is a lost cause, I get if people find it enjoyable to watch or even somehow decent (it's probabyl not their fault but a lack of experience and judgement that comes with it), but noone can seriously tell me GC is good or even great who has any clue about storytelling. It makes Code Geass look like the prodigy anime it is treated as.

It's debateable if P4 is just decent or really good, but it's not debateable that GC is crappy, decent at best.
Check out our Simul Watch CLUB and join if you're interested!

Ratohnhaketon said:
I can hear the anti-SOL purists gathering outside with their plotforks.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste,
I show love 'cause it's a terrible thing to hate.

02-29-12, 7:53 PM

Well he's not wrong. He should had been careful though since people will hate him just for being a hater even though they themselves are haters. Can't escape hypocrisy.

I don't know why he's surprise though. There's always a market for crap like this, for the same reasons why senseless fanservice harem crap are so prevalent. Its like the old saying "What plot? Just add sex, it'll sell."

I didn't really like the P4 anime all that much either but its hard to adapt a non-visual novel game so I'll forgive them. Heck, even VN are hard to adapt. All movies/shows based on other media suck and visa versa. And no, they definitely shouldn't had focused on the action. Since it was a game, the fight scenes would had been really really hard to duplicate. Another huge hurdle of adapting an RPG game, especially one with P4's setting. At least, some episodes were enjoyable as a fan of the game. GC was made from scratch so it was just crappy by nature.
Modified by Bobjones, 02-29-12, 7:58 PM

02-29-12, 8:08 PM

fertygo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Well, Persona is better script-wise, but afaik it also sold better so why would he bother complaining about GC's sales?
He not complaining.

His comment is very casual really. nothing offensive about it.

Just like some post in this thread. (most of post is just trash tho)

Not surprising. I can't tel youl the number of times I've seen annoying fans and people blow things out of proportion without getting all the facts. Most of the fault usually lie with the bias assholes who reported the wholly incomplete and biased information.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (12) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices