Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2012 6:40 PM

Sep 2011
I feel like someone just slapped random genre tags they thought the Anime would fall into, without actually watching it. -___-

It is definitely NOT a "Mystery", and has no properties of a "Mystery" whatsoever.

I agree with all the other tags, but I think it should also be tagged as "Romance".
Mar 15, 2012 11:45 AM
Dec 2010
NIce i was just wondering why its tag's are so different here on MAL.
So it is romance after all , glad to hear it ,now i can finally put it in my Romance Plan to Watch list.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Mar 15, 2012 2:10 PM

Dec 2009
Is it really romance? Haven't really seen that many romance scenes in this show outside of comedy scenes.
Mar 15, 2012 3:01 PM

Nov 2011
Comedy, supernatural, annoying

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 15, 2012 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
Sir_Lexa said:
Is it really romance? Haven't really seen that many romance scenes in this show outside of comedy scenes.

Well if you've read the manga or novels, you'd know what I'm talking about =) But I'll leave those spoilers out. Also, there have been hints that Ririchiyo has indeed fallen for Miketsukami
Mar 16, 2012 11:42 AM

Jan 2008
I would just leave it at Supernatural and Comedy. Not sure why Shounen is even tagged and lol'd at the Mystery tag.
Mar 17, 2012 2:47 AM

Mar 2009
I haven't read the source material, but it seems to be a romance to me also, though it's just hints right now of several of them.... As for shounen, no- it doesn't feel; like one to me either actually- it didn't seem anything like one t me, and honestly neither did Pandora hearts- but that also got a shounen classification *Shrugs*
As for genre tags in general. I don't pay attention to them at all, unless I'm curious about something I'm already watching. It doesn't matter what they say if it sounds interesting enough I'll give it a try.
Mar 18, 2012 1:30 PM

May 2009
Paul said:
I would just leave it at Supernatural and Comedy. Not sure why Shounen is even tagged and lol'd at the Mystery tag.

Shounen is the target audience. The manga is apparently a Shounen title, thus the anime is Shounen as well, hence the 'Shounen' tag.

And Mystery fits, as long as you don't use the 'detective/crime story' definition of Mystery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_fiction

Judging by the show, in terms of genre, I'd tag it as Supernatural, Comedy and maybe Romance (though it's not really about the Romance, so YMMV on that one).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2012 6:21 PM
Dec 2010
Oh man then it's not romance? No relationship , love etc ? just some hint which can be interpreted any possible way but it stays foggy till the end right ?

Should i delete romance tag from this anime then ?
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Mar 29, 2012 7:10 PM

Mar 2009
greenmarty said:
Oh man then it's not romance? No relationship , love etc ? just some hint which can be interpreted any possible way but it stays foggy till the end right ?

Should i delete romance tag from this anime then ?

Yes, I'd call it a romance. It's been made obvious it is one, in my opinion.

windeen-windyMar 29, 2012 7:15 PM
Mar 29, 2012 7:14 PM

Nov 2010
*I just finished and i do think it could be categorized as a romance. But i feel like doing so almost makes it a spoiler.
*I agree that it is a comedy
*I don't think it is a shounen in particular, even thought i also didn't find it that much of a shoujo.
*It didn't strike me as a mystery at first. But I can see how it could fit into that category. there are mysteries it it that are important of the plot, hinted at throughout the show, and only revealed at the end.
~ * my number is 3 * ~ _._ : l 'o' ( ; _-_ : ( T.T &: .~. : P >.<
Mar 29, 2012 11:30 PM

Sep 2011
Well it's not really a mystery if Miketsukami tells you everything 'mysterious' about him in one episode..
Mar 29, 2012 11:41 PM

Mar 2009
edmond321 said:
Well it's not really a mystery if Miketsukami tells you everything 'mysterious' about him in one episode..

Agreed. He pretty much told us a lot about himself at the start, only thing that could be classified as "Mystery" was the fact that he kept saying she saved him (If I remember right) and that he had known her for a while, and he'd been waiting to meet her.
I wouldn't really consider his secrets about what he had to do to free himself of his imprisonment a mystery- they were secrets but nothing much really felt like a mystery to me honestly....
windeen-windyMar 30, 2012 5:42 AM
Mar 30, 2012 10:09 AM

Aug 2011
I don't know who decides the genres on this site. They're just wrong a lot of the time.

Okay, if were making up genre tags for this:

Zee530 said:
and pedophilia.
Mar 30, 2012 12:13 PM

Nov 2008
DraconisMarch said:
I don't know who decides the genres on this site. They're just wrong a lot of the time.

Okay, if were making up genre tags for this:

Zee530 said:
and pedophilia.

@Draco: Knew you'd say that, hehe.

Anyways, out with the Mystery, in with the Romance?

I personally believe that tagging a show as 'mystery', is only justified when throughout the story, questions are raised that simply need to be answered in order to comprehend the bigger picture. Mysteries that are longing for a solution.

She isn't wondering who Miketsukami is, where he came from, nor what his intentions are but to serve her. Unless the viewer is supposed to pine after him, what exactly makes him or this show a mystery?
Mar 30, 2012 1:48 PM

May 2011
Yeah the description and tags got me into this
Totally blew me off with it being some queer stuff

Ended up being disappointed
Mar 30, 2012 2:24 PM

Jun 2008
Well its easy why is tagged as shounen: because it is published on a shonen magazine.
so even if the mangaka is a shoujo mangaka and all her works are shoujo, she published Inu x boku in a shonen magazine. Result: IT cannot be labelled as shoujo, never, even if its clearly a shoujo.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Mar 30, 2012 7:48 PM

Aug 2011
desolato said:

I personally believe that tagging a show as 'mystery', is only justified when throughout the story, questions are raised that simply need to be answered in order to comprehend the bigger picture. Mysteries that are longing for a solution.

She isn't wondering who Miketsukami is, where he came from, nor what his intentions are but to serve her. Unless the viewer is supposed to pine after him, what exactly makes him or this show a mystery?
Questioning a person's backstory makes it a mystery? Then more than half of the shows in existence would be dubbed mysteries. Everything's a mystery until we know their backstory!
Apr 1, 2012 5:37 PM
Dec 2007
DraconisMarch said:
desolato said:

Questioning a person's backstory makes it a mystery? Then more than half of the shows in existence would be dubbed mysteries. Everything's a mystery until we know their backstory!
You clearly read that wrong. She was agreeing that it IS NOT a mystery because all that's vaguely mysterious is merely backstory. This show is just comedy and romance with some supernatural mixed in.

Apr 5, 2012 7:26 PM

Jul 2011
You know what genre this really is? Abnormal slice of life. If everyone wasn't some monster/mythological creature incarnation, it would just be people doing their own thing, a bodyguard, some girl that likes said bodyguard, a hotheaded wannabe "yankee" who's in love with a tsuntsun girl, a crazy douchebag, and a bunch of other random people.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Apr 26, 2012 4:37 AM

Jan 2012
edmond321 said:
I feel like someone just slapped random genre tags they thought the Anime would fall into, without actually watching it. -___-

It is definitely NOT a "Mystery", and has no properties of a "Mystery" whatsoever.

I agree with all the other tags, but I think it should also be tagged as "Romance".

An Example of MAL mistakes
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
Apr 26, 2012 10:51 PM

May 2010
I think it should be tagged as Romance too.
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
May 11, 2012 2:58 PM
Dec 2010
This show is mystery but only in case someone tries to figure out under which genres it should be categorized.
After finishing it i agree on romance tag, if not anything else, its basically story about two ppl who met each other and fallen in love and they overcame some obstacles along the way. That's one of the definition of romance genre, isn't it ?
greenmartyMay 13, 2012 4:00 PM
May 29, 2012 8:08 PM

Oct 2009
The Shounen tag makes no sense, and I agree that Romance should be added. MAL isn't the best place to see what genres an anime leads under. Animenewsnetwork is more accurate in that respect.

May 30, 2012 9:46 AM
Jan 2011
I agree about the romance tag. But it IS shonen.
Remember that what defines a manga if it is shonen/seinen/shojo... is the magazine where it is published, not the contents itself
Inu x Boku is released in Square Enix's Gangan Joker, a shonen magazine with male demographic even if the story looks more adequate for a shojo magazine (but hey females also read shonen and there are males who read shojo).
That's why original anime not based in mangas usually don't have a proper "shonen","shojo" or "seinen" tag.
May 30, 2012 4:44 PM

Sep 2011
Yes, I also do not have a problem with the Shounen tag - as I quite enjoyed this rom-com myself.
Jul 25, 2012 10:33 PM

Jun 2008
Romance tag definitely needs to stay. Yeah okay, nobody is openly dating I suppose, but there are SO many emotions in this anime. Feelings are also romance, even if there aren't relationships.

Mystery... I don't think so. If the whole story was about Soushi and his past, discovering it step by step, then yes. Otherwise, we can tag any anime where somebody's story isn't known to the audience (and/or other characters) a mystery.

Comedy - yes. Shounen - yes (despite the cross-appeal).

I would put (contemporary) Fantasy instead of Supernatural though... But then a lot of Supernatural/Fantasy titles on MAL are tagged oddly in my mind.

I think someone on the previous page mentioned Slice of Life. I might actually consider it Slice of Life, albeit a not very ordinary life.
Jul 26, 2012 4:14 AM
Dec 2010
daisy23 said:
I agree about the romance tag. But it IS shonen.
Remember that what defines a manga if it is shonen/seinen/shojo... is the magazine where it is published, not the contents itself
Inu x Boku is released in Square Enix's Gangan Joker, a shonen magazine with male demographic even if the story looks more adequate for a shojo magazine (but hey females also read shonen and there are males who read shojo).

Shounen isn't defined according to some magazine publishing but instead its determined at very early stage of production, It's answer to one of basic business question "At which segment are we gonna target ?/Who are our costumers?" Publishing in magazine is a result of this decision thus its the other way around, It is published there because it was decided that target audience are young boys/girls/young adults/etc.
But Anime adaptations of Manga can sometime change genre too to be able to get attention of wider audience and make more money that way.

daisy23 said:
That's why original anime not based on manga usually don't have a proper "shonen","shojo" or "seinen" tag.

On this i agree but it's not because there was no manga but it's usually question of money. Anime that's not adaptation of manga needs to attract wide audience to earn enough (and more) to cover production while manga adaptation is often already known thanks to the manga.

As for Inu x Boku
I say this one is combination of shounen/shoujo and it should be tagged as neither or both.
Jul 26, 2012 1:16 PM

Jun 2008
I just watched the final episode. I honestly don't know why the romance debate is even going on. How can anyone not see the romance? o_o'
Jan 26, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2010
I am sorry for digging up this old thread, but it felt needless to create a new one, because....
This Is Not Shounen !
No matter how you look at it it is shoujo ! Even someone that has literally only watched 2 anime can identify this as shoujo. The true is that it doesn't really matter, I mean the anime was good and all, but I had my hopes I was going to watch a shounen anime so I had high expectations, only to be ruined within the first episode. I would really like to have a debate over this, but I am not very knowledgeable about this subject and my communication skills aren't good enough either (much like the heroin).
Sep 15, 2014 6:53 PM

Jun 2014
well its tag as shounen, but idk why i feel like watching shoujo on this anime
Sep 15, 2014 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
stupid people think shounen means naruto

More topics from this board

Poll: » Inu x Boku SS Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 1, 2012

85 by lazypanda666 »»
Oct 28, 2023 11:56 PM

Poll: » Inu x Boku SS Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

91 by lazypanda666 »»
Oct 28, 2023 6:55 AM

Poll: » Inu x Boku SS Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 16, 2012

118 by lazypanda666 »»
Oct 24, 2023 5:56 PM

Poll: » Inu x Boku SS Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

148 by lazypanda666 »»
Oct 23, 2023 4:19 AM

Poll: » Inu x Boku SS Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

choyos - Feb 2, 2012

128 by lazypanda666 »»
Oct 20, 2023 11:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.