Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2012 8:51 PM

Aug 2010
That was pretty badass.
Feb 2, 2012 8:57 PM

Jul 2011
BRSxIgnition said:
As a massive fan of Black Rock Shooter as art and an IP, this anime is horrible.

At least the OVA kept the look and feel of the world. This took that, added two many annoying frills, magnified the slice of life crap, and took away the good/okay animation.

The ONLY thing this anime is good for is the "OH SHIT DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!??!" moments every time Black Rock Shooter gets hit in her world. Outside of that, it's a massive disappointment..

I just wish she stuck as art.. Even the game wasn't too good..

I completely agree
Feb 2, 2012 8:58 PM

Feb 2008
It did start a bit slow, so the lack of episodes may be a challenge for them to make a good story. The second part of the episode when she goes to Takanashi was great. At first it seems like an awful slice of life with nothing interesting in it, but the fixed it. I liked the CGI as it's better than some other highbudget projects, while this looks like lowbudget. But still, the design ain't that bad.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 2, 2012 9:03 PM

Oct 2010
people keep saying "its horrible", "its shit", "very terrible".

huh are u guys crazy? conclusion already after the first episode?

after saying all that, be sure to drop this show and get out of here.

it was actually pretty good, i cant really compare it to the OVA though cause its only the first episode.

alternative world and friendship, ok i kinda got it. its not that confusing right?

episode rating: 4/5
Feb 2, 2012 9:04 PM

Dec 2011
Really good! I love Mataos personally.

The fights are epic. You really see how much focus they put on the fighting.
Feb 2, 2012 9:07 PM

Oct 2011
lucy_kawaii said:

it was actually pretty good, i cant really compare it to the OVA though cause its only the first episode.

alternative world and friendship, ok i kinda got it. its not that confusing right?

We're calling the episode itself horrible, and yeah - it is.

If you know Black Rock Shooter's origins, you'd know this is crap in comparison.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 2, 2012 9:16 PM

Apr 2010
As crappy as the OVA. Will keep on watching though.
Feb 2, 2012 9:18 PM
Sep 2009
Hm... I think people who are calling this terrible are over exaggerating, but I'm not impressed by this either (well besides the animation for the other world).

The show is very simple, and would be unbearably boring if not for the scenes in the other world. The other world itself is nothing more than an overcomplicated visual pun gimmick, but hey... they're exciting to watch.

Since the show's whole appeal is based on a gimmick, I really don't see this being anything special, but the action sequences look like they will be interesting, at least.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 2, 2012 9:20 PM

Mar 2011
So far it's not bad
But for "BRS" not bad is not good

Feb 2, 2012 9:25 PM

Jul 2011

It was ok but I've seen better anime
Feb 2, 2012 9:28 PM

Jun 2011
how can u guys say this animation is bad????
this animation was awsome, and the art was cool too
bad animation is fairy tail and beelzebub animation
i didnt like the story in the ova, and this seems to be almost the same, hope it get better.
for the first episode i expected much, but this show is only in the beggining.
Feb 2, 2012 9:32 PM

Oct 2010
sugardumplin said:
It was ok but I've seen better anime

this should be the complains.

its not shit, horrible or terrible, they're just talking to themselves.
Feb 2, 2012 9:36 PM

Jan 2011
Being quite the BRS fan, I loved this episode. I still don't like the character's new designs but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. However I'm loving BRS's design, though it needs more of her iconic blue flame. :P

That Kagari girl being such an ass to Mato stirred a lot of shit up and seeing the fights in the BRS world was pretty crazy. Loved how when Kagari was sawing up BRS, blue sparks and blue 'blood' came out.

Without the BRS action scenes, the Anime would be really boring. And I gotta say, they were animated well. Quite the eye candy. :D Also, glad to see the original BRS song is being used as the OP despite it sounding slightly different. :)

Looking forward to the next episode. BRS needs some payback, bitches.
Feb 2, 2012 9:36 PM
Mar 2008
BRSxIgnition said:
We're calling the episode itself horrible, and yeah - it is.

I'm writing the series off because Okada is a hack writer -- nearly every scene is dull and cringe worthy -- and Yoshioka is treading the same clumsy direction path that drug down the OVA. And the chances of the show right itself are slim to nil, so I'm not bothering with the rest of the series.
Feb 2, 2012 9:42 PM

May 2010
I was expecting better than the OVA. This ep failed me. :/

If they're going to keep up the same, I would prefer more episodes of Thermae Romae even with it's flash-animation.
Feb 2, 2012 9:49 PM
Mar 2008
lucy_kawaii said:

What, no, that's a bad way to look at things critically. If I think something is terrible, I'm going to say it's terrible and point out why. Saying "It's bad, but not that bad" sounds too apologetic and unsure.
Feb 2, 2012 9:59 PM

Oct 2010
PlatinumHawke said:
lucy_kawaii said:

What, no, that's a bad way to look at things critically. If I think something is terrible, I'm going to say it's terrible and point out why. Saying "It's bad, but not that bad" sounds too apologetic and unsure.

lol, why then?

since u dropped the show, feel free to explain everything.

and be sure u wont show up on the next episode threads, cause u dropped it right?
Feb 2, 2012 10:09 PM

Apr 2011
Honestly, this was pretty bad but not as bad as people are exaggerating it to be, I've seen worse.
I hate bitches like Kagari, no amount of Eri Kitamura can change that. Yuu is okay, for now, as long as she doesn't become the way she did in the OVA.
The animation quality was awful, I suspect a lot of the budget concerning it went to the CGI heavy other world. A lot of it was unnecessary and tacky.
Character redesigns are fine, I kinda like Mato.
Compared to the OVA, it's just as bad.
As much as I hate/love Miku, I enjoyed the ending theme, I can't tell if they used an append though but they definitely changed the voice as it sounds more clear.
What the fuck was Mari on, she's written fantastic scripts before but this was just a downfall.
Maybe if we had more episodes, a better written plot could've been made. It's truly hard to follow any of this without thinking,"What the fuck?"
And please, since I refuse to give a fuck about the game, someone explain to me the purpose of the 'other' world where B★RS is?
Feb 2, 2012 10:12 PM

Apr 2009
A little surprise, I'd say. It was actually quite fine, as I had expected it to be even worse than the OVA. Luckily, it wasn't - and even though the episode was a 3/5 one, I can say that I enjoyed it a little bit. It must be noted though, that the animation is really bad... I expected the IRL part to be (just as in the OVA) K-on-ish, and I certainly predicted it quite well, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here: the other world, while truly well-stylized, suffers from the lacking animation. It "tears" and it's painfully visible - it lacks smoothness, especially during the engagements. Will it make up for this with a story to behold? I dare to doubt...

Feb 2, 2012 10:15 PM

Oct 2010
i missed the sexy BRS lol, and other character designs in OVA

the animation on other world is actually good in some way, its smoother and accurate than the previous BRS. but they kinda look like dolls

negatives and positives everywhere
lucy_kawaiiFeb 2, 2012 10:19 PM
Feb 2, 2012 10:16 PM

Dec 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if the people who have apparently "dropped" this show based on the first episode turn up again in later episode discussions only to reiterate why they think the show is shit.

And I hope that this will at least cause people to see noitamina as just a timeslot for anime and not some kind of magical gateway for amazing anime.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Feb 2, 2012 10:18 PM

Oct 2009
This anime is NOT terrible (yet). What is so bad about it again? The only real criticism I can think of is that the characters are a bit bland at the moment and the juxtaposition of slice-of-life with the alternate world is disjointed, however both elements do actually link up if one was to pay attention to the dialogue and events that takes place in the "normal" world.

The CG is NOT terrible. Has anyone ever seen really bad CG integration before? Like you know... The shitty CGI in early 2000's anime or several Gonzo productions where the CGI really sticks out and is poorly rendered? Because this is NOT an example of that. The CG is fantastically blended into the 2D imagery, it kind of set a new standard for CG integration in my eyes. The animation in general was great actually. Although I do agree, the designs changed for the worst, still bearable though.

The show has potential to be good. Not great or fantastic, but a good watch. I'm already interested in the world. Why was the blond handicapped loli being such a bitch!?! I'm looking forward for more. I just don't understand all of the hatred BRS is getting and I wasn't even that big of a fan of the original OVA.
KrazyKobunFeb 3, 2012 12:25 AM
Feb 2, 2012 10:31 PM
Mar 2008
Everything that was wrong? The entire script for starters. The dialog is entirely hokey and embarrassing to hear. Yomi and Mato's interactions feel forced and as if it were just going down the laundry list. The scene with the girl in the wheelchair felt so ham fistted and forced it nearly turned into comedy. I could use this script as a dartboard and not miss something trite. Okada should be embarrassed by this. Er, no, this is her usual output.

Now how about the direction? Still does the same thing as the OVA where it flips back and forth with little care about scene flow. Pick one side of the story and go with it. Indecisive direction has ruined plenty of shows I've watched before. At least the parallel is more noticeable. But he's failing as a director by not keeping the screenplay from going to hell and back as noted above.

Imaishi's animation direction has his usual flare and is easily the most capable person on staff. Too bad his normal talents are stripped out by the limited-frame-rate 3D animation masquerading as standard 2D animation. Looks too cheap despite Imaishi's talent. And as the OVA pointed out, amazing animation can't save a work if the direction or writing falls flat on its face.

Yup. I'm done.
Feb 2, 2012 10:32 PM

Dec 2011
It was alright, but lets see where this leads.
Feb 2, 2012 10:48 PM

May 2009
Oh hey it's the same shit as last time. God damn. :/
Also i like the improvements they did to Yomi's real world character design. She looks a whole lot cuter now. The rest are shit.
Liked they used the vocaloid song. *yawn* Guess I will still watch to see where this goes.
Feb 2, 2012 10:50 PM

Oct 2007
DAT ED!
Feb 2, 2012 10:53 PM

Jun 2011
cr4sian_phil said:
DAT ED!
Feb 2, 2012 10:56 PM

Jun 2008
I look forward to more.

I am not surprised to see that this show will likely be one that people find it "cool" to hate, even if it turns out really good.
Feb 2, 2012 10:58 PM

Oct 2011
it's not really at the same standars as the OVA,but i'll keep on watching, if not for any other reasons but for the fights in the parallel world. it's not really bad, it's OK, but i was expecting something awesome.
Feb 2, 2012 11:03 PM

Jan 2011
Meh when i downloaded this I was Like * YAY BRS!!* then i slowly thought to myself wait why i'm i excited for this oh yeah because it's the TV version so it's gotta be better then the Ova sadly it wasn't did they not learn anything from the last time it feels just like the ova but worst granted it's the first episode but i still have no clue on whats going on.

at least those moments she got hit were pretty brutal wish we could had seen more!

-still gonna watch because i wanna see if this gets any better lol
Feb 2, 2012 11:24 PM
Jan 2010
Everything that was wrong? The entire script for starters.

Oh cool, we have someone who has read the script for Episodes 1-8!
Share plz.
Feb 2, 2012 11:34 PM

Jul 2011
Damn, katsu044 already wrote all that I wanted to say about this show.
OrangeHollow.png
Feb 2, 2012 11:45 PM

Dec 2011
well i liked it :D

I am questioning the 'quality' of the animation though, but still ill definitely watch all 8 eps
Feb 2, 2012 11:53 PM

Jan 2011
OrangeHollow said:
Damn, katsu044 already wrote all that I wanted to say about this show.
saved you the trouble good sir!.
Feb 2, 2012 11:55 PM

May 2010
I liked it.
(so far.)

=]
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Feb 3, 2012 12:06 AM

Jun 2011
I like kagari in the other world, whatever she's called...
the characters looked better in the OVA though..
Feb 3, 2012 12:16 AM

Apr 2009
Han-yuu said:
bookkid900 said:
Cloudenvy said:
MM-Rosiie said:
nextday said:
Even with my already low expectations, this was terrible.
Feb 3, 2012 12:52 AM

Jan 2010
I think people are exaggerating, it's not that bad, it's just an average show that everyone hyped up in their heads to be especially good or especially bad for no real reason.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Feb 3, 2012 1:01 AM

Sep 2008
CGI was fine, but the normal world character design failed in comparison to the OVA.

I'd like to watch those CGI scenes in 3D though to see what parts will be emphasized.
Feb 3, 2012 1:39 AM
Nov 2011
Just, wait, where did you watch this? .__.
I can't find it anywhere! D:
Feb 3, 2012 1:45 AM

Dec 2010
Like it so far, good episode. Really liked the animation though, it was just as good as i expected it to be if not better; look forward to more episodes.

FlyingBanana8D said:
Just, wait, where did you watch this? .__.
I can't find it anywhere! D:

I'm sure there are plenty of other places but here is one

http://www.animeseason.com/black-rock-shooter-2012/
Feb 3, 2012 1:47 AM

Feb 2010
It was alright.
Feb 3, 2012 1:47 AM

Sep 2011
Not bad at all,even that it has some flaws,the animation is not that good ,it has potential and i think once they explain a little more it will get better...I will keep watching it as i like it.

And peeps remember never judge anything by the first look give it a chance!
Feb 3, 2012 1:49 AM

Mar 2010
I didn't have high expectations because of weird the character design but this episode was even worse than I thought it would be. Art aside, I was never picky about this but the story... oh, wait, there's none. Seriously, did I really spend 20 minutes watching two little girls being emo over one little brat that could use a hit to the face? Oh, they were emo over not being friends too, my bad.

Not to mention that the fighting scenes were... uh... kinda pointless. I mean, the first fight (nitro) was big flashy with big guns, explosions and fancy effects. That's about it. No reason for the fight so far and since I'm getting huge let's-drag-in-as-many-people-as-we-can vibes from it, I doubt it will be explained.

I also dislike the whole "someone else suffers your mental damage" idea. IMO the other world was made much better in the OVA. This is just too cheesy for me. This episode made me feel like the whole show will be full or random nonsense just to get as many fans as possible. I mean, we had wannabe school drama, shoujo ai hints, pointless but cool fights, dumb reasoning behind them and stereotype characters. I'll try watching the next ep just because I liked OVA.
Feb 3, 2012 1:53 AM

Jan 2009
i thought the OVA was average.then i took a tv-series in the knee xD
kidding both are fine by me xD
amirhossFeb 3, 2012 1:57 AM
Feb 3, 2012 2:23 AM

Jan 2009
The script is beyond terrible. I don't like Mato reciting the colors of the rainbow like a 3 year old.

She'd make a GREAT Narrator in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", though.

Otherwise, it's watchable. I really want to see if my prediction of Irino-sensei being Black Gold Saw is on. It makes even more sense now, since she's the one who is the one "watching" over these girls, and Black Gold Saw is "watching" over the fights in the Other World.

Looks like she appears next week, going by episode 2's preview (on the official site)

Really wish we could get an answer about why they didn't just continue off from the OVA; I can't imagine how hard it must be to continue on from that plot *rolls eyes*
Feb 3, 2012 2:28 AM

Sep 2011
lucy_kawaii said:

This. Just this.
Seriously it's the first episode, not much else to say since this seems to be setting up stuff for later.
Feb 3, 2012 2:30 AM

Oct 2011
it interesting that at the poll no one voted that they hated BRS
Feb 3, 2012 3:00 AM

Feb 2008
Didn't expect a noitaminA show to have such a meh start =/
Feb 3, 2012 3:06 AM

Sep 2011
i dunno about you guys. but for me, this is hella entertaining.

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 22, 2012

323 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

239 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Oct 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

245 by Spicelit »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:11 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 15, 2012

149 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 8, 2012

191 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 5:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.