Forum Settings
Forums

One decimal place accuracy to anime and manga ratings

New
Feb 2, 2012 11:41 AM

Apr 2009
So in short, this is my suggestion: Alllow us to score anime with one decimal place accuracy. (1.0)

I think it could make Myanimelist even more interesting and effective:

1) Some people like keep some anime they particularly enjoy higher than other anime of the same level, but don't feel it's justified to move it up a tier (8 -> 9) just for some weird personal preference (I feel weird about my Yuru Yuri 9 but I can't help it :p It would be in the lowest point of 9 range if I could show it)

2) An anime that's almost a masterpiece but not quite because of a couple of flaws (9.4) and something that is well written and interesting but somewhat generic and lacking in other areas that's barely above 8 point range (8.5) would both get a 9. It's a pretty significant difference that does not show at all. This would not have much of an impact on MAL rankings, but at least it would make individual lists more organized.

3) More power to give detailed ratings might make people more interested in weighting their ratings more carefully. When I said in point 2) that it would not have much of a difference, I mean weighting between that range of one point. It can have impact in one additional way if it changes the way people think about ratings even a bit. I'm not counting on it though but it could be interesting to see.
Through who already give 10 to everything you enjoy just to pump it as high as possible and make it aware to more people or consider 7 a bad score not much would change in practice. I don't personally mind that, but I've seen some voice displeasure about it.

So just some thoughts. Dunno how many scripts you would need to rewrite and if it's reasonable to carry out in practice. I'm sure you would already have done it if it was effortless but I'm just saying at least I would like to see this happen.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 2, 2012 12:02 PM

Feb 2008
http://myanimelist.net/modules.php?go=faq#canwehave

Nope. This has been suggested many, many times before and the answer is always the same. If we change this, somebody will just turn up later and say: "I want x.xx ratings" etc. At this point, I'd think it's more likely we revert to a 5 point scale than add decimal ratings.
Feb 3, 2012 4:33 PM
Jan 2011
kuroshiroi said:
At this point, I'd think it's more likely we revert to a 5 point scale than add decimal ratings.

What are the chances of a 5 point scale happening? That'd be cool, too.
Feb 3, 2012 9:10 PM

Nov 2007
I'll bet 20 dollars that if the system is switched to 5 points, we're going to get threads complaining about people only using 4 and 5.
Feb 10, 2012 5:21 PM

Sep 2008
Just because this change will inevitably lead to people wanting two decimal places, does not mean the change isn't worthwhile. These requests are being ignored now just fine, so we can continue to do so in the future, but a single decimal place would be very useful.

I am very much in favour of this change.
Feb 19, 2012 6:46 PM

Jun 2011
I agree with wartjr, as I have many anime on my list (Redline, for example) that aren't nines, but definitely not eights either, and this has become one of my big pet-peeves with this site.

I support this change wholeheartedly if it's ever taken into consideration.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Feb 19, 2012 10:38 PM

Sep 2011
1-10 scale is fine without decimals. I thought about this a few days ago but overall, it would be annoying to go into that much detail rating each and every one of my Animes.
Feb 19, 2012 10:40 PM

Mar 2009
I would agree if .5 was implemented.
Feb 19, 2012 11:48 PM
Nov 2007
In my opinion, the 10-point scale is more than adequate. Most places only have a 5-point system, so we already have more granularity. If any changes WERE to be made, however, I'd suggest they don't go beyond adding a .5 (essentially a 20-point system).
Feb 19, 2012 11:57 PM

Oct 2011
Because the scale has 10 positions they all must be used :D
if not you should leave as you don't wear the Holly Crown of Connoisseur

this scale is good now - sometimes it's hard enough just to divide it between those points and adding those decimals would make it even more complicated
and please don't go back to 5 points - it would make comparison of series a bit difficult
Feb 20, 2012 7:59 PM

Apr 2008
I used to be happy just using 1-10 ratings. My tastes have changed over the years and being too exact with my ratings would have been fruitless because I can't be sure how I would rate everything if I watched them all now. My standards from years ago are not the same as they are now.

Unfortunately after accumulating about 285 ratings for H-anime in the 5-6 range and with nearly all of them having forgettable plots, I can't even remember which ones I liked the most. I tried to make a list of my favorite 50 and it was impossible to do. I gave about 23 of them 7-10 ratings and I gave about 22 of them 2-4 ratings, but everything else was a 5-6 blur of about 240 titles. If I liked it around a 4-rating or lower, I most likely wouldn't have finished the anime anyway.

I can see both sides of this issue because I've been on both sides, but in my case at least I definitely needed a more precise way to rate my H-anime. Non H-anime is a lot easier for me to remember. :P
Terence_TFeb 20, 2012 8:03 PM
Feb 26, 2012 2:03 AM
Aug 2010
kuroshiroi said:
At this point, I'd think it's more likely we revert to a 5 point scale than add decimal ratings.

If you do revert to a 5 point scale at least let us use 0.5 ratings. I think a lot of us will be annoyed otherwise.

As for the initial post's idea, decimal ratings would mess up the statistics. I find it rather pointless either way: most of the users only use a scale between 6 and 10, mainly. Some use a scale between 7 and 9. No wonder decimals are always suggested. If you want more accuracy, start using a scale from 1 to 10, that would be a good enough start.

Feb 27, 2012 3:59 AM

Apr 2009
Since this thread is still kind of active I guess there's no harm in bumping it once instead of creating a new topic. After some further thinking I think the 100 point scale I suggested earlier is not a good idea. The current 1-to-10 rating scale suffices if it is used properly.
However, it is not being used to its full potential at the moment. From what I've seen majority's ratings seem to lean towards 6 or even 7 as the average value instead of 5. It is partially explained by how people mostly only pick and rate shows they expect to like so average rating of around 6 is to be expected as the average for such people. But if it reaches or even exceeds 7 for the majority of users, there is a problem with the system.

The current rating system still has a major weakness that makes it difficult to use the 1-to-10 scale to its full potential: the labels make the rating scale positively biased and unintuitive.

First let's take a look at the balance of ratings.

Positive adjectives(50%): Masterpiece, excellent, very good, good, fine
Neutral adjective (10%): average
Negative adjectives (40%): bad, very bad, horrible, unwatchable

There's a clear positive bias when a good rating scale is supposed to be balanced with a clear average line. A positively biased rating scale has tendency to inflate ratings. The expected value becomes too high and the quick plummet from fine level to average level is confusing. It all comes down to the way ratings are labeled.

One issue is the he huge jump from average to fine. If fine was replaced with some word that much more clearly conveys that it's nothing special, like "decent" or "fair", the rating would be much more clear and balanced. In my opinion this would be more balanced and intuitive.

High ratings (10-7) 40%
Average ratings (6-5) 20%
Low ratings (4-1) 40%

And there are some other comments about labels; labeling 10 as masterpiece seems a bit excessive, in my opinion something less intimidating like "excellent" would suffice and keep the ratings a bit more down to earth and applicable; describing things like enjoyability, impact, originality or technical merits as 'masterpiece' is not a very good word for comparison. Same goes for 'unwatchable'.

My suggestion for changes in labels to address these problems are these:

10 excellent
9 great
8 good
7 fine
6 fair
5 average
4 lackluster (some simpler word is better, maybe "weak". I'm not a native English speaker so I couldn't think of anything better)
3 bad
2 very bad
1 horrible

So softer landings and more understandable balance are the changes I think the rating system needs. And just changing a couple of labels should not be a big issue I hope.
Feb 27, 2012 9:06 AM
Aug 2010
I don't think changing the labels will have a significant impact on the rating scale usage.

People complaining about the lack of decimals and using a small rating scale should just start using a bigger scale. People complaining and already using a big rating scale.... well, they're still a problem, but a less important one.

Apr 18, 2014 4:23 PM

Nov 2012
0.5 Decimal Ratings is the feature that I would like to see most, the majority of my anime list are 7's and 8's it would be nice to be able to further distinguish between them.It will probably never happen at this point but oh well.
TheRealDeal51Apr 18, 2014 4:28 PM
Apr 18, 2014 11:39 PM

Mar 2012
TheRealDeal51 said:
0.5 Decimal Ratings is the feature that I would like to see most, the majority of my anime list are 7's and 8's it would be nice to be able to further distinguish between them.It will probably never happen at this point but oh well.

If you have a majority rated 7 and 8, maybe you should expand the range you rate instead of trying to give decimals. It's not decimals you need, but simply choosing a wider range of scores.

(Yes, this topic is two years old, and I don't see this happening given that more urgent changes haven't been made in years.)
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
Apr 19, 2014 12:44 AM

Mar 2013
I'm still waiting for a thread that at least has a valid suggestion to be necro'd... Guess it won't happen.
Apr 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Aug 2009
Was vaguely considering making a thread about this, but seeing the labeling issue mentioned in the top thread already I guess I'll just say it here:

I really think the labeling for the scores 2,3,4,6,7,8 and 9 should be pretty much removed, leaving just:

1 - horrible
5 - average
10 - masterpiece

or just color coding them from green to red or something. So people can make up their own minds of what goes in between, seeing as for some people, the average anime is really good, while some might think anime are quite bad on average.
As for me, an average anime is a great one. However on the guidelines the "average" is placed between "fine" and "bad" and that really just ain't right then.

That's why everyone shoehorn the scores between 6 and 10 to begin with, right? Because 5 isn't the true average in everyone's eyes, like it actually should be. Hypothetically, assuming most people think 80% of the anime they watch is good then 80% of the anime goes between 6 and 10 following the current guidelines. And that makes 5 not even close to being average.
If the middle of the scoring table is supposed to reflect an average series, then it doesn't make sense not taking into account the fact that every user has a different definition of average, right? If every user give a series they thought was average a score way above average, then that average won't reflect the average series anymore at all. And average not being average is wrong.

If 5 is supposed to represent an actual average series, which it should, seeing as it is on the middle of the scoreboard, then different peoples definition of average needs to be taken into account as well, and that definition will average out and happen automatically if people can decide what average means for themselves, resulting in properly distributed scores.

Of course you can argue that the "average" here is the average between good and bad, and is not supposed to reflect an actual average series. But it really should reflect an actual average series. And of course changing things like this probably won't make a dramatic difference, but I really think it's a step in the right direction.
Apr 20, 2014 2:16 AM

Aug 2010
Even this is necroposting....,

I just want to give my opinion, I agree with the staff that there is no decimal system.

Do you know why, first it cost more bandwidth to calculate these numbers, because the numbers become integers, therefore you get harder maths.

Second is extension of the first one, through the harder maths, the code become larger, so the database become bigger.

Third one, why not 1-5 system, because that is too scaled, if you want a properly average of the score you need to have more numbers.

Last one, though this system you have a lot anime who do not
get unbelieveable high or low score, you get a scaled average number because there are not many vote ratings of 1 or 10.

Conclusion a 5 stars system is less accurate and a decimal system is not profitable, you gain nothing with these systems.
EternalwishApr 20, 2014 2:29 AM
Apr 20, 2014 3:50 AM

May 2013
I decided to add a tag just to do this, it's been killing me. For example I loved Chihayafuru as a romance anime but giving it a 10 feels too much. So I gave it a 9 and it was all good because I don't really have many other romance anime that I liked at the time... until I watched Nagi no Asukara and Kaichou wa Maid-sama! which I thought that I enjoyed them more both than Chihayafuru but also feels that giving them a 10 is too much. So I'm stuck with the 3 shows have 9 rating but also have the gutted feeling that NnA and KMS should have a somewhat higher rating...
SO YES, I really agree with this idea and would love this to be implemented.

But then again, I'd really prefer for the bugs this site has to be fixed first, most of all the log out bug, the uploading picture bugs etc before coding any new ideas for MAL.
Apr 20, 2014 3:59 AM

Oct 2009
Krasa said:
I decided to add a tag just to do this, it's been killing me. For example I loved Chihayafuru as a romance anime but giving it a 10 feels too much. So I gave it a 9 and it was all good because I don't really have many other romance anime that I liked at the time... until I watched Nagi no Asukara and Kaichou wa Maid-sama! which I thought that I enjoyed them more both than Chihayafuru but also feels that giving them a 10 is too much. So I'm stuck with the 3 shows have 9 rating but also have the gutted feeling that NnA and KMS should have a somewhat higher rating...
SO YES, I really agree with this idea and would love this to be implemented.

And the lowest score in your list is 6. Does really every single of the shows you watched is above average? Then another suggestion: think of 3 as average for you, and go from there
Apr 20, 2014 5:55 AM
Dec 2011
1-10 is fine as long as you use all the numbers.
Apr 20, 2014 7:08 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Krasa said:

But then again, I'd really prefer for the bugs this site has to be fixed first, most of all the log out bug, the uploading picture bugs etc before coding any new ideas for MAL.

Uploading picture bug isn't a bug but a slow cdn.
The log out bug has more to do with your ip address
Neither of those problems are bugs, just problems... though the uploading picture one can be handled easily.
Apr 20, 2014 7:09 PM

Apr 2007
FAQ already says no, so no.
Apr 20, 2014 9:40 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread Locked.
This has already been rejected, see here:
When Posting a Site Suggestion... said:
"Add more digits in the rating (e.g. 7,5 instead of the floored 7)"
Implementing this would require some work. Next to that, most people don't use anything lower than 4. If you want to make your ratings more accurate, balance out the entire list by scoring some series down.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
6 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.