Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Mar 19, 2014 8:09 PM

Sep 2011
ThreePercent said:
I wasn't a fan of the ending, but that's probably because I have no knowledge about the Nasuverse.

Wait, I'm kinda confused. What do you mean by that? Which part of the ending exactly? o_O

Much of Movie 5's ending has little to do with the Nasuverse as a whole and is actually based on real-world philosophy and religious concepts (most of it barely gets touched on in other Type-Moon works ever again and remains pretty isolated in KNK). It should also be noted that Kara No Kyoukai is Type-Moon's first published work, so knowing anything about the Nasuverse isn't some sort of requirement to understand the story and the concepts it goes into considering how it's the one that lays the groundwork of the lore in the Nasuverse.
ronriMar 19, 2014 8:18 PM
Mar 26, 2014 5:31 AM

Feb 2010
ronri said:
ThreePercent said:
I wasn't a fan of the ending, but that's probably because I have no knowledge about the Nasuverse.

Wait, I'm kinda confused. What do you mean by that? Which part of the ending exactly? o_O

Much of Movie 5's ending has little to do with the Nasuverse as a whole and is actually based on real-world philosophy and religious concepts (most of it barely gets touched on in other Type-Moon works ever again and remains pretty isolated in KNK). It should also be noted that Kara No Kyoukai is Type-Moon's first published work, so knowing anything about the Nasuverse isn't some sort of requirement to understand the story and the concepts it goes into considering how it's the one that lays the groundwork of the lore in the Nasuverse.

The Araya concept is used on the other works like Fate/Stay Night, this movie presented some basic concepts of Nasuverse, Touko even talk about Counter Guardians.
Mar 26, 2014 9:56 PM

Sep 2011
JoaoZangetsu said:
ronri said:
ThreePercent said:

The Araya concept is used on the other works like Fate/Stay Night, this movie presented some basic concepts of Nasuverse, Touko even talk about Counter Guardians.

Yeah I know it did, but the concepts used in KNK are mostly self-contained (in terms of how they're applied not necessarily their mention), and it's not like you need to know the rest of the Nasuverse to understand or contextualize what they're talking about in KNK. This is because a lot of "Nasuverse" concepts used in KNK are derived from real-life concepts/philosophy and it's much more obvious here in KNK than other Type-Moon works since it was their first published work where most of the ideas are written to stand on their own. In this regard, the following works that came after KNK simply expanded on the lore, not the other way around.
Jun 1, 2014 8:37 PM

Dec 2013
This movie was incredibly amazing. At times it was confusing and strange, but ultimately it is a masterpiece. The best of the series so far, deserves to be re-watched.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 30, 2014 3:03 PM

Jan 2014
Err that was kinda confusing. Will rewatch soon to understand better, but a nice film overall.

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Jul 3, 2014 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
Lasting two hours to compensate for the previous one.

Splendid, truly one of the best in the series if not the best, the way of the story being told seems strange, but fits perfectly with the episode is like a spiral, switching between present, past and future. The soundtrack keeps the habit of being exceptional.

Shiki was so cute in the end when she asks for the key to kokutou.
Aug 14, 2014 5:55 PM

Jun 2012
Not as good as I thought itd be but still pretty good.
Sep 1, 2014 5:21 AM
Aug 2011
The best one so far. Only thing that bugged me was when the homeless guy called security and Tomoe's father was alive. It shouldn't be so because we knew that the Tomoe that ran away was fake and lived in the house 405, so they should have been dead until morning.

Well, maybe that was Araya's doing.
Sep 5, 2014 11:27 AM
Aug 2014
As most have already stated, absolutely brilliant! Love the switching back and forth between time periods and the 'loop' on daily life with Shiki and Tomoe. It really took about 20 minutes to get the hang on the events, and even then, it wasn't until the halfway mark that I could clearly piece together the story. Total mindfuck satisfaction.

I knew that Aozaki was a bad ass but, holy shit she's even more incredible than I imagined. I also loved the incorporating of real world philosophy and theories to explain Arya and 'who he is'. It also shows that all creation is flawed-as has been stated in previous films-but, that doesn't mean that one has the right to slaughter said creation on his whim. I'm starting to understand the title and these series of films definitely beg a deeper discussion. The soundtrack is so perfect and hauntingly beautiful as the art style is just dazzling.

10/10 Fucking Masterpiece.
Sep 27, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2012
This movie was obviously a magnum opus. It blended in the material of the previous movies together into the story of this movie for a great twist. They didn't just dedicate a movie to Fujino Asagami and Kirie Fujo for a petty reason. As always, the animation was high quality; the combat scenes were fluid, and the backgrounds were precisely beautiful all throughout the movie.

Enjou Tomoe. I love this guy. A ton of development was aimed at him who I thought was an uninteresting character. I couldn't have been more wrong now that I found myself attached to him. The tragic fate of Enjou Tomoe was what made him an interesting character of which I wished he didn't have to disappear in the end. He was a very nice character even if he had only appeared once in the KnK movie series.

10/10. One of the few anime that I could call a masterpiece.
Sep 30, 2014 3:11 PM

Jun 2014
RIP Rocket Pencils. Never forget.
Oct 17, 2014 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
Huge improvement from the previous 4 films imo.

Execution was flawless and the narrative was creatively done. It was definitely the most professional thing I've ever watched. This is actually making other films look bad in comparison.

I'm reluctant at giving a 10/10 when I haven't even finished the much talked about 7th film but this movie deserves it.

10/10
Oct 17, 2014 4:30 PM

Oct 2010
Adramelech said:
The best one so far. Only thing that bugged me was when the homeless guy called security and Tomoe's father was alive. It shouldn't be so because we knew that the Tomoe that ran away was fake and lived in the house 405, so they should have been dead until morning.

Well, maybe that was Araya's doing.

I may be wrong here, but I think the fact that the officer rang the doorbell triggered them to respawn. I think that's why Shiki decided to open the door to the Enjou apartment instead of ringing it.

Anyway, third time I've re-watched this and it gets better every time.

9/10 (joint favourite with movie 7)
Oct 17, 2014 6:20 PM

Sep 2011
spyrocoot said:

I may be wrong here, but I think the fact that the officer rang the doorbell triggered them to respawn. I think that's why Shiki decided to open the door to the Enjou apartment instead of ringing it.

Anyway, third time I've re-watched this and it gets better every time.

9/10 (joint favourite with movie 7)

Pretty much, by ringing the doorbell the officer incidentally caused them to repeat their cycle as if nothing had happened. As shown when Shiki and Tomoe entered the premises without knocking, the events proceeded as they were meant to instead of the cycle being repeated through outside interference.

Also yeah I definitely agree, this and and the 7th film are tied as the best films in the series.
Oct 26, 2014 2:43 PM

Oct 2012
Rewatched this. Somehow, the film is even better than I remembered it. In fact, I found most of the films more enjoyable the second time around (excluding film 4 because I was already well aware of the mechanics behind Shiki's power the second time around). Brilliant.
Oct 31, 2014 6:10 PM

Nov 2013
Not sure if it's the length or the content but this movie is better than the previous ones. The way the story was presented reminded me of Baccano! for some reason.

Most of the moments were done right but I think the best one was Tomoe's flashback when he went to his old home, what a good character considering the screen time he had. He is more fleshed out in the novel but the movie did a great job.

10/10
Dec 12, 2014 6:01 AM

Apr 2009
Those breath taking fights! 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2014 12:17 PM

Jul 2014
That was great. probably my favorite of the series. loved everything about it.

Damn i really did like Tomoe.

anyway great movie 10/10
Jan 12, 2015 12:28 PM

Mar 2013
Amazing movie. The best from the Kara no Kyoukai series I've seen so far. Infinitely superior. Tomoe Enjou's dispair, the hate of Alba Cornelius and the fights with Araya... Everything. Damn good.
Feb 15, 2015 12:17 PM

May 2014
Another great movie. I like how everything came together and made sense in the ending.

We get some info about Touko's past and about magus in general. And a very interesting scene that looks like a dream of Shiki. Was that afterlife? And that one was SHIKI? If Shiki and Tomoe were meant to symbolize Yin and Yang in this scene I guess it couldn't be SHIKI (since SHIKI represents the male side of her personality). I supposed it would be explained later on. We still haven't seen that blonde guy from the end of movie 4.
Feb 18, 2015 1:37 PM

Jun 2014
Holy shit,this was amazing.Best movie in the series so far.
Really good in every way possible.
Mar 12, 2015 11:31 AM

Dec 2013
Good but overrated.
Mar 23, 2015 6:51 AM
Oct 2014
10/10, masterpiece, deserves to be higher rated imo.

Bit confused as to how Shiki spoke to Tomoe at the end but I guess this series goes along with confusion lol. Counter force, remember that from F/SN. Shiki was great, Touko was great, Tomoe and Mikiya (though how did a normal human survive Alba's headbashing? Did Touko put a spell on Mikiya or something?) were also great, and Araya made a great antagonist. Alba was a bit cheesy but eh, passable. Was he that guy in F/Z?

That after credits scene, haha Shiki.
Mar 23, 2015 12:35 PM

Sep 2011
Drucoz said:
Bit confused as to how Shiki spoke to Tomoe at the end but I guess this series goes along with confusion lol.

Do you mean the dream or the sequence where Shiki was talking to Tomoe while she was still trapped inside the apartment? Due to Shiki's affinity and strong connection to the Origin, she was able to witness many events throughout history during the time while she was in a coma after being subdued by Araya (one of them being a conversation she had with Tomoe). In the case of the dream it's essentially the same reasoning (her strong connection to the Origin), rather the surreal presentation is meant to signify Tomoe's parting and farewell to Shiki.

Drucoz said:
Alba was a bit cheesy but eh, passable. Was he that guy in F/Z?

Indeed he was. In F/Z those were his glory days before he met Touko... XD
ronriMar 23, 2015 12:49 PM
Mar 24, 2015 6:15 AM

Jul 2013
I thought I'd try rewatching this film a second time and... And...

God, now that I actually understand the Nasuverse in its entirety, thoroughly immersed all the way through whilst enjoying the nonlinear continuity, picking up all these little details, practically teared up Enjou's story, and even got the CUTEST AFTER-CREDITS SCENE I HADN'T KNOWN WAS THERE BEFORE WHICH MADE THE 11/10 SCORE I ALREADY FOR IT UP TO 12/10.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, this is just too amazing, too amazing, everything about this movie is simply all too perfect...!

Mar 24, 2015 3:27 PM

May 2014
Amazing style of story telling. I was wondering how they could make a new character work, and oh boy did they pull it off big time. The animation and music are godly, and I love every single character in this movie.

The non-stop mindfuckery they use after the 40-minute mark is amazing, and the way they tie everything together is just brilliant.

10/10, best KnK movie so far. Hands down.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Apr 2, 2015 11:44 AM

Jan 2015
holy shit.

10/10.

im speechless. best movie yet. hope 6 can top this.

didnt think anything would personally top #3, but this blew the fuck out of the rest of the movies.
Apr 2, 2015 7:03 PM

Sep 2011
Grapekiwi said:
holy shit.

10/10.

didnt think anything would personally top #3, but this blew the fuck out of the rest of the movies.

Movie 6 is more of a "breather" sort of film after Movie 5. While Movie 5 serves as the climax for the supernatural elements of the series, Movie 7 on the other hand acts as the proper closure to Shiki and Mikiya's relationship.
Apr 2, 2015 7:10 PM

Jan 2015
ronri said:
Grapekiwi said:
holy shit.

10/10.

Movie 6 is more of a "breather" sort of film after Movie 5. While Movie 5 serves as the climax for the supernatural elements of the series, Movie 7 on the other hand acts as the proper closure to Shiki and Mikiya's relationship.

good to know. Ill get to both of those later tonight. been one hell of a ride though :)
Apr 5, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
Just rewatched it, great movie.

Apr 5, 2015 2:53 PM

Aug 2009
I can see the reason behind its ranking now.
Quite confusing at first, but it clears up. Nearly cried when Aozaki 'died'. Thank God KnK is starting to pull up; took my all to continue past the fourth.

9/10
Apr 5, 2015 2:55 PM

Aug 2014
I don't get how people can't love 1-4 maybe you will on re-watches.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 5, 2015 2:59 PM

Jan 2015
black1blade said:

I enjoyed them, #3 being my second favorite behind #5 so far. (about to watch #7 tonight.)

#2 had crazy good ost, and the hype was rising in that movie.

#1 just kinda left me unsure wtf was going on, but since im familiar with nasuverse the hype was real
Apr 5, 2015 3:36 PM

Aug 2009
black1blade said:

For me, it was because of the confusing plot and the ever-shifting time lines. I was initially under the impression that it was episodic.
Apr 5, 2015 3:42 PM

Aug 2014
The mystery in films 1-4 was the high point in the series for me on the first watch. I didn't know what was going on and I could speculate what the story was going to be about. To begin I thought it was going to be a ghost hunting story or something XD

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 5, 2015 3:45 PM

Aug 2009
black1blade said:
The mystery in films 1-4 was the high point in the series for me on the first watch. I didn't know what was going on and I could speculate what the story was going to be about. To begin I thought it was going to be a ghost hunting story or something XD

I honestly agree. If I really had thought it a waste of time, I wouldn't have continued. But I knew, and was tipped off, that the revelations will turn up soon, so I held on. It's fun to be thrown into a befuddlement, but 4 movies was pushing it a bit. I'm glad this one made up for the previous ones; KnK holds a high re-watch value.
Apr 6, 2015 4:40 PM

Sep 2011
black1blade said:

That was the intention. Kara no Kyoukai functioned under the same formatting and style of many paranormal "ghost-hunting" stories and it even uses a lot of known concepts in the genre like ESP. This is simply Nasu's (and to an extent, Ufotable's) contribution to the genre, with some added themes of moralistic existentialism and a romance story that acts as the driving force for the characters. ^_^
Apr 17, 2015 5:11 PM
Aug 2013
Even more than the previous movies, this one reminded me of Baccano!. By that, I mean that I didn't like it so much. It seems to throw a huge number of ideas around, but most of them lack conviction. That's in contrast to the second movie, which did take its words through to action despite not concluding yet. I'm looking forward to #7, but it's been a real trudge so far.
May 28, 2015 6:23 PM

Oct 2013
Probably the best movie I have ever seen so far, Animation was perfect, Soundtrack fitted every scene, the new Characters that got introduced fitted in perfectly, Story was amazing, reminded me of both Perfect Blue and Baccano!. Can't really point out any moment that I disliked.

There are still 2 movies left but I already know I'm gonna rewatch this series at some point.

May 29, 2015 9:21 PM

Sep 2010
HOLY SHIT. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SOO MIND FUCKED IN AN ANIME EVER. My hands were on my temples through the whole damn movie, I was so confused but interested at the same time. I can't imagine watching this on drugs or something xD Fantastic movie that made me wonder, cringe, confused, mindfucked, and relieved at the same time. 10/10
May 30, 2015 4:19 AM

Sep 2009
I watched this a couple of years ago and I just re-watched it now. It's still the 2nd best movie after Murder Speculation (both 2 and 7).

I have to agree with some people that 1,3 and 4 were pretty mediocre compared to these, but still awesome.

Only reason I started watching these again is because I didn't know up till now that Future Gospel was released (I'm kind of in a long break from anime stuff at the moment), so might as well restart the whole series before watching it.
Jul 6, 2015 12:56 PM

Dec 2012
I was so confused... but apparently everyone here is a genius and got it the first time. Damn.

Guess I'm not a weeaboo.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Jul 8, 2015 11:04 AM

Feb 2015
Didn't like this movie as much as the others. The method of story telling was cool but the story wasn't interesting at all. I thought there was too much going on for a single movie. The visuals were nice and the scene transitions paired with the overlapping narrative were a good addition to the 'paradox spiral' theme of the movie.
Aug 17, 2015 12:59 AM

Jul 2013
Much better than the first 4 movies. 2nd one was good, but not nearly on this level.
Oct 9, 2015 12:20 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Quite disappointed really. While the art, animation and music are outstanding as ever, I didn't think this was quite the quantum leap over the other 4 movies that everyone keeps on harping about. And I missed the silences and quite tone of the first films. The antagonists kept on talking and talking making no sense whatsoever, just spiting out pretentious drivel while they fought. It was so distracting.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 7, 2015 3:41 AM

Feb 2015
yay, 2hr film :D

although i loved it, it was wholeheartedly confusing.

beginning: 10. fresh, new character, and more shiki! the running scene was beautifully done but shiki's fight was just too awesome. although she has had fights before, she hasn't gone all out like this.

middle: 3/10. WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON. i tried as hard as i could to keep up but could only understand around 30%. and those doorknobs...every time someone would touch a doorknob/car handle the confusion would amp up even more. i DREADED when those hands would reach for them...D:

end: 9.

oh wow so skiki's friend was an excellent puppet all along? almost on the corny side but still believable. also the french dude reminds me of a crazy, sadistic version of dio from last exile.

seriously SCREW THE VILLAIN. he's THE cruelest i have ever seen, to kill all those people like that. tomoe...you poor soul. his twist came as a shock, but...you're not a fake. as long as you have the love, memories and likeness of tomoe, it doesn't matter that your other body is gone. it was the hardest seeing him go, and seeing the building crash down into his room. i really took to that kid. the villain needed a much more gruesome death.

loved the OST in this one as well. animation is perhaps at it's best so far. i said before that i've been waiting for so long to watch this and now i regret it thanks to the villain. tomoe! :(

as i said i loved it, but wouldn't rewatch due to the violence in here. it's higher than ever so i couldn't bear that unless i skipped it.

overall: 9. still, what the heck happened in the middle? was it SUPPOSED to confuse the viewers? because it so worked on me.
------
black1blade said:

true, but 3-4 brings the interest. 1 was boring as crap. i would have even dropped it if i didn't remember how the people i met kept saying it was great (2 to my recollection but still, they were very adamant about it).
TomDayNov 7, 2015 3:51 AM
Jan 22, 2016 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
While some parts are confusing, definitely the best KnK movie so far. 8/10
Feb 6, 2016 8:17 AM

Nov 2015
This was the best KnK movie so far, it was amazing.
The narrative used blew my mind, I was between understanding and not understanding at the same time. It was a tornado of information, storytelling, plot twists... If I thought previous movies had a really amazing and solid way to tell the story, this movie takes that to another level.

The perspective given to each part of it was exquisite, I really didn't know what was about to happen till the very end. KnK doesn't disappoint, not even a single bit.

As always, the art is perfect, music, sounds, voices, animation. It's just top notch. It was very brutal, very graphic too... again, Ufotable knew how to transmit and make you feel different in each act.

As side comments:

* I couldn't believe Touko was dead =O I was like "Noooo!!!!" But i accepted it.
* I didn't understand at first all those "loops"with "missing"pieces, again, till the very end I could understand.
* Kokutou is an idiot xD You know, with all the "would you like her even if she was a boy?" thing jajaja.
* Shiki want's Kokutou's "key"!! =D

Anyway, it was a great 2h movie, too much stuff to comment but, I don't think that I need to since everyone here enjoyed it, I'm sure of it. This is the kind of work of art I'm proud of watching. Really good material.
Feb 7, 2016 4:23 AM

Dec 2015
HDarkmantis said:
This was the best KnK movie so far, it was amazing.
The narrative used blew my mind, I was between understanding and not understanding at the same time. It was a tornado of information, storytelling, plot twists... If I thought previous movies had a really amazing and solid way to tell the story, this movie takes that to another level.

The perspective given to each part of it was exquisite, I really didn't know what was about to happen till the very end. KnK doesn't disappoint, not even a single bit.

As always, the art is perfect, music, sounds, voices, animation. It's just top notch. It was very brutal, very graphic too... again, Ufotable knew how to transmit and make you feel different in each act.

As side comments:

* I couldn't believe Touko was dead =O I was like "Noooo!!!!" But i accepted it.
* I didn't understand at first all those "loops"with "missing"pieces, again, till the very end I could understand.
* Kokutou is an idiot xD You know, with all the "would you like her even if she was a boy?" thing jajaja.
* Shiki want's Kokutou's "key"!! =D

Anyway, it was a great 2h movie, too much stuff to comment but, I don't think that I need to since everyone here enjoyed it, I'm sure of it. This is the kind of work of art I'm proud of watching. Really good material.

These movies are totally worth rewatching after a while. You can grasp a lot of things that flew over your head during the first run.
Feb 7, 2016 7:36 AM

Nov 2015
Xarvon said:

These movies are totally worth rewatching after a while. You can grasp a lot of things that flew over your head during the first run.

Yeah, I think those movies are worth it. =D
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» OMG FIRST PLACE ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

5layer - Feb 2, 2009

963 by Zoshlog »»
Mar 14, 12:59 PM

» why peaple gave this episode low rate to be lower than it deserve? this episode is masterpiece

RCvvvv - Sep 17, 2022

17 by Phloup »»
Sep 17, 2022 4:03 PM

Poll: » which is the best ost from ufotable

filthyfrank8142 - Feb 4, 2022

6 by JJxy »»
Mar 29, 2022 5:58 AM

» best plot twist in anime history?

sabervergarden - Feb 12, 2021

10 by asaryo420 »»
Feb 4, 2022 11:59 PM

» Am I the only one who doesn't like Kokutou?

Albee98 - Sep 24, 2021

9 by 234Mannan »»
Oct 20, 2021 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.