MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Japan's Weekly DVD & CD Rankings for Jan 23 - 29
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Japan's Weekly DVD & CD Rankings for Jan 23 - 29

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (2) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] »
01-31-12, 4:33 AM

Those iDOLM@STER sales, season 2 now please.

01-31-12, 4:36 AM

Yeah. Most exepted 5-6K sales for Guilty Crown not about 10K

I really feel bad for Gonzo. Yes, Last Exile-2 has it's minuses but IMHO second half is even better than S1 had. And Gonzo put all their hopes for it so it could became bankrupt once more(Gonzo has it's minuses too but really: it's not the worst studio)...

01-31-12, 4:51 AM

Miku Hatsune, K-On, Guilty Crown, Ao No Exorcist...
This is awesome! ;3

01-31-12, 4:58 AM

Sir_Lexa said:
I'm happy that Working is selling so well. 3rd season maybe? I hope so :3

Oh god this I hope so too I need more Trollma....I mean Souma in my life. xD

dtshyk said:
*5, 10,042 Guilty Crown

So I guess this means the haters are nothing, but haters.

I hope Gundam AGE sells well then the same can be said for this series too, but I'm having my doubts since I heard it wasn't doing too good. Such a shame its actually a great series, but I'll buy it if it ever gets an R1 subbed/dubbed release without Bandai USA around. <3

Glad to see the Another opening and the new Beelzebub ending those are actually pretty good songs.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"

01-31-12, 5:01 AM

Roloko said:
I hope Gundam AGE sells well then the same can be said for this series too, but I'm having my doubts since I heard it wasn't doing too good.

There was some ambiguity about how Guilty Crown would do, but so far there's zero ambiguity about AGE. Estimates are currently at 1,491 BDs and 584 DVDs with less than two weeks left to go. Even if those are massively underestimated (say by 100%) there's no way it hits even 5k.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/

01-31-12, 5:05 AM

dtshyk said:
18, *5,847 *5,847 K-On! (Movie) Hokago Teatime in Movie

dtshky, this would be 34,749 total since you had 28,902 listed last week.

dtshyk said:
12, *8,951 *8,951 Hatsune Miku Vocalodream

Total is 35,431 with 26,480 last week.

01-31-12, 5:07 AM

jmal said:
articuzwolf said:
edit hey dtshyk how come Horizon total sales didn't increase after we added 18k from the 2nd volume
shouldn't it be around 40k by now if we are adding the 1st and 2nd Bluray sales?

The list explicitly states "(first volumes)".

ah yeah didn't see that, sorry

Nachtwandler_21 said:
Yeah. Most exepted 5-6K sales for Guilty Crown not about 10K

considering the production cost of Guilty Crown, and 10k is actually combination of BD (7k) and DVD (2k++)

you can say that the sales is just good (with profit far smaller than Haganai and Working'!! I belive)

jmal said:
Roloko said:
I hope Gundam AGE sells well then the same can be said for this series too, but I'm having my doubts since I heard it wasn't doing too good.

There was some ambiguity about how Guilty Crown would do, but so far there's zero ambiguity about AGE. Estimates are currently at 1,491 BDs and 584 DVDs with less than two weeks left to go. Even if those are massively underestimated (say by 100%) there's no way it hits even 5k.

should we blame Level-5, sunrise or both? LOL

01-31-12, 5:14 AM

jmal said:
Roloko said:

but so far there's zero ambiguity about AGE. Estimates are currently at 1,491 BDs and 584 DVDs with less than two weeks left to go. Even if those are massively underestimated (say by 100%) there's no way it hits even 5k.

Well the series does get better near the end of the first generation so maybe more people would buy then?

Oh well as long as it gets a subbed release here in the states I'll be happy. Cause I'm not going to pay R2 prices when the complete collection comes out here in a few months especially if its going to be unsubbed.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"

01-31-12, 5:23 AM

not a bad list

01-31-12, 5:35 AM

RandyW88 said:
Go guilty crown prove these haters wrong, a solid 10,000k hit in your face...

But what did you mean?
That because if sold a lot of copies/earn a lot of money/ it's not a mediocre show?
With this line of argument how should we call Pokemon, Precure, Naruto or rest of that money bringing machine? Masterpieces?

01-31-12, 5:48 AM

Wow, Guilty Crown. I expected around 6k sales not a whopping 10k. That's just... well, whatever.
Dat non-functional bbcode

01-31-12, 5:51 AM

Dalek-baka said:
RandyW88 said:

But what did you mean?
That because if sold a lot of copies/earn a lot of money/ it's not a mediocre show?
With this line of argument how should we call Pokemon, Precure, Naruto or rest of that money bringing machine? Masterpieces?

you can say that a show is shit, mediocre or whatever you like because I believe every person has a different taste and criteria for a good anime

good sale is just proof that more people watch it, like it and think that's worth to spend the money to buy and collect or maybe even rewatch it in the future.

as simple as that

01-31-12, 6:10 AM

articuzwolf said:
Dalek-baka said:
RandyW88 said:

But what did you mean?

you can say that a show is shit, mediocre or whatever you like because I believe every person has a different taste and criteria for a good anime

good sale is just proof that more people watch it, like it and think that's worth to spend the money to buy and collect or maybe even rewatch it in the future.

as simple as that

Except some anime shouldn't EVEN be liked because they're just THAT horrible.

01-31-12, 6:16 AM

Mashiroiro got out the rankings, pretty much expected it not to sell so well however it did end up selling VNs like hotcakes though.

01-31-12, 6:17 AM

Glad to see Gintama again!! :D

01-31-12, 6:52 AM
News Moderator
dtshyk said:

Single CD
*5, 16,135 16,135 Detective Conan "My Mystery"
*9, 10,191 10,191 Beelzebub "Shoujo Traveler"
12, *9,043 *9,043 Toyosaki Aki "music"
14, *5,826 67,057 Senki Zesshou Symphogear "Synchrogazer"
16, *4,894 *4,894 Another "Kyoumu Densen"
32, *2,683 *2,683 Highschool DxD "Trip -innocent of D-"
34, *2,466 11,565 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! "Coloring"
45, *1,887 *1,887 .hack//The Movie: Sekai no Mukou ni "Hikari wo Atsumete"

Album CD
17, *6,455 *6,455 Guilty Crown Original Soundtrack
18, *5,847 *5,847 K-On! (Movie) Hokago Teatime in Movie
21, *5,188 *5,188 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Original Sound Track

Yay~

Edit: By the way, it's "Miss Mystery", not "My Mystery".
dtshyk said:

out of the rankings
UN-GO
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle

No~~~

dtshyk said:

16, *2,333 Chihayafuru (vol.2)
17, *2,101 Ben-To
18, *2,038
19, *1,853 Kimi to Boku.
20, **,954 Morita-san wa Mukuchi 2

So low in ranking...
Modified by tsubasalover, 01-31-12, 8:31 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

01-31-12, 8:05 AM

dtshyk said:

*1, 18,697 18,697 One Piece Log Collection "Rocket Man"

What's this?

01-31-12, 8:14 AM

Taibani's such a stud of a series... still going strong baby.

01-31-12, 8:56 AM

It's a shame that Mawaru Penguindrum isn't selling that well.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.

01-31-12, 9:03 AM

Solkiskey said:

You have absolutely no right or authority to decide that.

And before you try to retort that I must be a GC fanboy, that couldn't be farther from the truth (I didn't like the two eps I managed to sit through at all), but whether I think it's good or not has absolutely no bearing on whether someone else "should" like it or not. That's just arrogant as hell.

Xadyu said:
dtshyk said:

What's this?

The Log Collections are a series of One Piece DVD boxsets. This is, I dunno, probably the 10th or so. I imagine they'll be going on for a while yet given how long OP is.

01-31-12, 9:04 AM

ONE PIECE!!!

01-31-12, 9:17 AM

Miharu-Kun said:
Didn't expect Guilty Crown to sell that many copies -_-
Hopefully Un-Go will be in the rankings nxt week since it was only released a few days ago ^-^

Guilty Crown got a massive surge in preorders after episode 12, and has been constantly in the top preorders since.

Anyway, glad to see it doing well. It gets far too much hate and I didn't want it to be a complete flop.

01-31-12, 11:14 AM

10k for Guilty Crown great!!!!

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and Gintama sold well aswel yay!

Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers not ranked oh well lol though this one would sell

01-31-12, 11:27 AM

dtshyk said:

out of the rankings

It's funny how Phi Brain is getting a second season even if its sales are bad, Lol.
GC seems to be doing good too.

01-31-12, 11:33 AM

dtshyk said:
Blu-ray
*4, 13,412 13,412 Steins;Gate vol.8

I'm happy gal.
“See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good.
Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two.”
― Hayao Miyazaki

01-31-12, 12:06 PM

Ahmer said:
Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers not ranked oh well lol though this one would sell

Romance visual novel adaptations haven't sold well in years, and it was uncommon even back then. Mashiro-iro is a good show, but more people probably went and bought the game instead. It'd cost a lot less than ~6 BDs and last much longer too.

But 3k is a very very high Tuesday threshold, we should see a lot of sub-3k stuff added on Thursday when the full list comes out.

01-31-12, 12:40 PM

Poor Madhouse. HunterxHunter didn't even rank and Chihayafuru is barely hanging in there.

01-31-12, 1:04 PM

I really don't like too much Mirai nikki second OP: Dead end. The first was better.

01-31-12, 1:15 PM

I don't like Guilty Crown, but its success further proves that original properties can sell. If it at all inspires producers to take more chances on big-budget, original IP, I can only see it as a good thing for the industry.

As for content, they aren't going to get it right every time, especially when many people making anime aren't used to developing new concepts.

01-31-12, 2:06 PM

jmal said:
Solkiskey said:

You have absolutely no right or authority to decide that.

And before you try to retort that I must be a GC fanboy, that couldn't be farther from the truth (I didn't like the two eps I managed to sit through at all), but whether I think it's good or not has absolutely no bearing on whether someone else "should" like it or not. That's just arrogant as hell.

Xadyu said:
dtshyk said:

What's this?

The Log Collections are a series of One Piece DVD boxsets. This is, I dunno, probably the 10th or so. I imagine they'll be going on for a while yet given how long OP is.

No, Guilty Crown is that bad.

01-31-12, 2:24 PM

Solkiskey said:

There's no such thing, no matter how desperate you are to inflict your opinions on others in the guise of imaginary "objective facts".

GarLogan78 said:
Poor Madhouse. HunterxHunter didn't even rank and Chihayafuru is barely hanging in there.

Well, DVD/BDs aren't all that relevant to HxH's success, it's a Shounen Jump adaptation after all. Its purpose is to sell more manga and merchandise, and I guess TV ratings.

The only one of the super-long Shounen Jump fighting anime adaptations that sells high numbers as TV anime these days is Gintama'. One Piece's boxsets sell very well, but the individual releases of current episodes don't. Bleach used to pull in 10k+ the first few major story arcs, but not anymore.

As for Chihayafuru, well, same thing, albeit to a lesser degree. Long as the manga sees a sales increase, the anime is doing its job.

01-31-12, 2:30 PM

TJR said:
I don't like Guilty Crown, but its success further proves that original properties can sell. If it at all inspires producers to take more chances on big-budget, original IP, I can only see it as a good thing for the industry.

Yeah, I don't like GC either but I do like getting further evidence that anime original works are viable business investments. Some of my favorite shows are anime original.

As for content, they aren't going to get it right every time, especially when many people making anime aren't used to developing new concepts.

Granted, the only particularly objective measure of "getting it right" has to be sales, which in turn is a measure of "did a lot of people like it a lot?"

The number of people who dislike a show is generally irrelevant; only the number that like it matters. If 10,000+ people like a show enough to buy it, it is absolutely irrelevant if 100,000+ think it's the worst thing ever, because 10,000 = good sales. It's like, say, sites that let you vote on comments, but there's only an upvote, not a downvote. Sales can only be measured using positive integers, there's no concept of negative numbers here. I can't "anti-buy" shows I don't like, whatever that would entail.

01-31-12, 2:58 PM

28, *3,030 *8,839 Kill Me Baby "Kill me no Baby!" & "Futari no Kimochi no Honto no Himitsu"

You're kidding me.

01-31-12, 4:06 PM

MM-Rosiie said:
28, *3,030 *8,839 Kill Me Baby "Kill me no Baby!" & "Futari no Kimochi no Honto no Himitsu"
You're kidding me.

The ED is awesome. OP is, well, it's unique certainly and that alone can get some sales.

01-31-12, 4:35 PM

jmal said:
Solkiskey said:

There's no such thing, no matter how desperate you are to inflict your opinions on others in the guise of imaginary "objective facts".

GarLogan78 said:

Well, DVD/BDs aren't all that relevant to HxH's success, it's a Shounen Jump adaptation after all. Its purpose is to sell more manga and merchandise, and I guess TV ratings.

The only one of the super-long Shounen Jump fighting anime adaptations that sells high numbers as TV anime these days is Gintama'. One Piece's boxsets sell very well, but the individual releases of current episodes don't. Bleach used to pull in 10k+ the first few major story arcs, but not anymore.

As for Chihayafuru, well, same thing, albeit to a lesser degree. Long as the manga sees a sales increase, the anime is doing its job.

It is not imaginary.

Let's hope that with GC's sales, other studios won't take it as an example and start making original anime like GC.

01-31-12, 9:09 PM

waa~ good to see Junjou Romantica and Sekaiichi hatsukoi 2 got their spot again!! ^^;

01-31-12, 9:13 PM

People don't seem to learn. Guilty Crown is the exact type of show that sells well. I"m surprised that it only did 10k first week. Not a bad start.

01-31-12, 10:13 PM

outlawauron said:
People don't seem to learn. Guilty Crown is the exact type of show that sells well. I"m surprised that it only did 10k first week. Not a bad start.

Eh, it was expected to be a 20-25k type hit from the start, so its still really disappointing... with the major animation budget and all the marketing (I hear they even had ads for it in movie theaters), I'm not sure if 10k is enough to make back what they spent on it.

01-31-12, 10:40 PM

RyanSaotome said:
outlawauron said:

Eh, it was expected to be a 20-25k type hit from the start, so its still really disappointing... with the major animation budget and all the marketing (I hear they even had ads for it in movie theaters), I'm not sure if 10k is enough to make back what they spent on it.

if I were the producers, I would rather spend my money on Haganai or Working because it cost less and sells more

talk about profit here LOL

02-01-12, 12:48 AM

Pretty surprised with that GC numbers lol, its wayyyy than amazon stalker prediction.. sigh they keep changing the method.

I'm disappointed its not total flop, noitaminA might consider make stuff like shit again [/troll]

Oh well its gonna be total shame if I.G and Director Araki's career ruined because this tho.

02-01-12, 10:34 AM

fertygo said:
Pretty surprised with that GC numbers lol, its wayyyy than amazon stalker prediction.. sigh they keep changing the method.

Hm, I didn't check GC in the last few weeks before it released, but when I checked yesterday, Stalker was fairly close. Underestimated less than a thousand each, I think it was, on BD and DVD. I certainly thought Stalker had a lot less, hence why I thought it'd be about 6-7k, but figured maybe it got a lot of ppints in the end while I wasn't looking.

So Stalker did adjust again? I know they adjusted for the Bake and Toradora sets, which threw me at first because I remembered Stalker being way lower than what they really put up, then when I went to check it was almost exact. If they adjusted, do you happen to remember where it was pre-adjustment?

02-01-12, 11:12 AM

jmal said:
Hm, I didn't check GC in the last few weeks before it released, but when I checked yesterday, Stalker was fairly close. Underestimated less than a thousand each, I think it was, on BD and DVD. I certainly thought Stalker had a lot less, hence why I thought it'd be about 6-7k, but figured maybe it got a lot of ppints in the end while I wasn't looking.

It was on pace for a lot lower, but it ended up being in the top 40-50 every day the last two weeks after episode 12 (which had a major plot twist). It just needed something to make people care about it to help its sales.

jmal said:
So Stalker did adjust again? I know they adjusted for the Bake and Toradora sets, which threw me at first because I remembered Stalker being way lower than what they really put up, then when I went to check it was almost exact. If they adjusted, do you happen to remember where it was pre-adjustment?

As far as I know (since I check it every day), its the same. They have a more accurate point tally now so its sales will likely be within 15-20% of the points.

02-01-12, 9:06 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6349631.html

8. Idolmaster Anime & G4U Pack Vol. 4 / Namco Bandai / PS3 / 18,179

So total for Idolmaster 4 is 25,239

02-01-12, 9:23 PM

The autumn rankings suck :/

Persona 4 is okay, but Horizon?

Last Exile should also be higher.

Not to speak of Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki and Kimi to Boku. Their sales make me sad.

Phi Brain deserves to be out of the rankings, but seeing Un-Go and Hunter x Hunter doing so bad is frustrating. Especially with HxH, I hope the sales get better otherwise I fear they might not ger further with the adaption of the manga this time.

It's good to see Tiger & Bunny do so well though, at least some good shows are appreciated.
Meh.

02-02-12, 12:47 AM

WOW !
Great list ! :)

02-02-12, 6:38 AM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Especially with HxH, I hope the sales get better otherwise I fear they might not ger further with the adaption of the manga this time.

Like I was saying, we really really don't need to worry about this. The individual volumes of One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Precure, and all sorts of shounen and shoujo anime don't sell at all. There's no reason for HxH to be any different. (To a lesser extent, the same applies to Chihayafuru, which sells quite a lot of manga.)

DVD/BD sales of these shows don't matter. Ratings, manga sales, and merchandise do. The HxH anime could sell 100 copies and it would probably have no effect at all on how long the anime goes on.

Disc sales are important, in a general sense, but it's really quite situational. Some shows absolutely live and die by them. Others, not so much.

02-02-12, 7:03 AM

Update
18, *2,753 *2,753 Shakugan no Shana III vol.2 Limited Edition
19, *2,440 *2,440 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! vol.5
20, *2,325 *2,325 Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers vol.1
21, *2,138 *2,138 Maken-Ki! vol.2
22, *2,021 *2,021 Mirai Nikki vol.2 Limited Edition
23, *1,936 *1,936 vol.2 Limited Edition
24, *1,864 *1,864 Nichijou vol.8 Special Edition
25, *1,826 *1,826 Towa no Quon 6: Towa no Quon Limited Edition
26, *1,779 *1,779 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira vol.4 Limited Edition
27, *1,676 *1,676 Gosick vol.10
28, *1,546 *1,546 UN-GO vol.1
29, *1,445 24,118 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.1 Limited Edition
30, *1,409 *1,409 Sacred Seven vol.5
31, *1,290 *1,290 Kamisama Dolls vol.5
32, *1,256 *1,256 No.6 vol.5 Limited Edition
33, *1,056 *1,056 Ikoku Meiro no Croisée vol.5
34, **,920 **,920 R-15 vol.5
35, **,902 **,902 Blood-C vol.5 Limited Edition
36, **,851 *7,278 Hanasaku Iroha vol.7
37, **,828 **,828 Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyou vol.5

Temporal Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings in Autumn 2011 (first volumes)
*1, 41,369 Persona 4 The Animation
*2, 24,118 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
*3, 19,613 Working'!!
*4, 11,984 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
*5, 10,042 Guilty Crown
*6, *4,524 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2
*7, *4,077 Tamayura: Hitotose (Blu-ray data only, DVD *,920 ~1,131)
*8, *3,885 gdgd Fairies
*9, *3,801 Shakugan no Shana III (vol.2)
10, *3,421 Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
11, *3,379 Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
12, *3,199 Maken-Ki! (Blu-ray data only, DVD *,920 ~1,131)
13, *3,026 Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam
14, *2,336 Mirai Nikki
15, *2,333 Chihayafuru (vol.2)
16, *2,325 Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
17, *2,101 Ben-To
18, *2,038
19, *1,853 Kimi to Boku.
21, *1,546 UN-GO
22, **,954 Morita-san wa Mukuchi 2

out of the rankings
Hunter x Hunter

Not released yet
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (Feb 10)
Fate/Zero (Mar 7)

02-02-12, 7:39 AM

Mashiroiro Symphony might end up close to 3k once you count the DVDs, so it actually did a bit better than expected. It'll end up one of the better selling Manglobe series (not that it means much since their series always flop).

02-02-12, 9:37 AM

RyanSaotome said:
close to 3k...
...one of the better selling Manglobe series

Pretty pathetic, isn't it? I wonder if there's any type of show they could animate that would sell. They're far from a bad studio, but man, talk about consistently evading home video sales success. Not that adapting romance visual novels is exactly the best way to get disc sales.

02-02-12, 4:26 PM

Salinga said:
It's a shame that Mawaru Penguindrum isn't selling that well.

Isn't selling well?? It sold ~5000 BluRays which I think is pretty good for an Arthouse sort of anime

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy