Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2012 6:47 AM

Feb 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Volume 3 Discussion:
===
The ending of this volume moved me. Katsuhiro Otomo is a genius. The explosion (or implosion?) was drawn so masterfully, it was almost real. I can't put it into words, the last part was just simply amazing.

What moved me even more was that, just before the explosion, it alternated between Akira's surroundings, and people going about their normal lives. That had a real impact, because when I was shown the explosion, I knew it's not just a kick ass explosion: It's hundreds or maybe even thousands of lives suddenly being reduced to nothing.

*tearless cry*
May 13, 2012 10:29 AM

Aug 2007
I don't think anything can top Akira's phenomenal showing of total and utter destruction of human civilization(the city). I was in shock and my jaw was on the floor near the end of this volume. A complete almost near nuclear destruction that gives a readers such an emotional feeling of helplessness against this force of unnatural power.

This book is out of this world. I can't believe I only started reading this last week.

Jun 22, 2013 7:03 AM

Aug 2012
What a screwed up place to die in. The explosion feels so ordinary in this world that it's hard to feel any emotion.
May 31, 2017 3:21 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Was spectacular!!
The explosion, and after the buldings colapse, was cool!!!!
Apr 13, 2018 12:46 AM

Dec 2015
The "characters time management' was pretty great in this manhunt volume. Tetsuo barely gets the beginning and ending pages plus a mention in the middle of the tome but his last apparition makes quite an impact , even after such a demonstration of power by Akira.

5/5
Feb 9, 2019 9:04 AM

Jul 2016
Kaneda died? Oh god.
Jun 24, 2019 10:03 PM

Jul 2016
The length of this is pretty overwhelming given they made a ~2hr movie out of this. Have to admit it was feeling pretty monotonous after the first couple volumes, but this one had me gripped, especially the last bit of it. Looking forward to seeing if the momentum holds up. Can't believe I'm only halfway through this, lol.
Jul 16, 2019 8:14 PM
Apr 2018
Ohhh, the explosion was sick. It even caused black tornados. Great drawings. I think the story can only get better from this point on

Wait, Kaneda... he can't be. On the other hand, grandma is tough man.
Dec 10, 2022 8:35 PM

Jun 2009
Honestly wasn't feeling this series up until this chapter. But this chapter was....wow. Pretty powerful.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 29, 2023 2:30 PM
Sep 2019
Honestly, This was amazing. I'm definitely not the only person who saw the movie before reading this, but I wasn't expecting anything major that wasn't in the movie, so this was very surprising and well done both on the story and art sides.
Aug 12, 2023 9:53 AM
May 2017
In the DarkHorse version( I have an idea how many chapters I have read); I am at the part were a character named Sasaki have appeared. I knew on her first appearance she also possessed the power. But why is the old lady secretly trying to steel Akira from Nezu.

(I am not discussing in forum according to 38 parts format. I will discuss according to where I am suppose to be in the 120 chapters format.)
Nov 29, 2023 3:38 PM

Apr 2020
Hahaha, well damn. We all thought Akira was a force to be reckoned with, but it turns out the real threat the whole time was mama Chiyoko whipping out the BIG guns. And how hilarious that military grade battle droids that were built to withstand a nuclear blast still have one fatal weakness: a cinderblock. Fun chapter!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Chapter 120 Discussion

linkjoker - Apr 17, 2017

17 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 116 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 113 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

3 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 2:50 AM

» Akira ending

Jacky08 - Feb 14

3 by Jacky08 »»
Feb 16, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 110 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 3, 7:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.