Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2012 7:09 AM
Mar 2011
I always knew there was racism between Chinese and Japanese people, but what do you guys think about this? The Chinese hate the Japanese for downplaying what happened at Nanking, and the Japanese hate the Chinese for... Being Chinese. But for years now the hate has grown into simple, irrational racism.

I know a Chinese and Japanese girl (both from Japan and China). The Japanese girl knows Japanese, English and German. Whereas the Chinese girl knows Mandarin, Linhai dialect, English and Korean. Both are straight A students and are at the top of their class. Both are very pretty. In fact, from knowing both of them they'd probably make great friends... But both are INCREDIBLY racist toward each others race. It pains me to know two perfectly smart, beautiful girls can be that close minded.

Does anyone have experiences with this? What do you guys think? Honestly I can kind of understand the hatred the Chinese have for the Japanese... Imagine if Germany tried to downplay the holocaust. Do you know how much our people would vilify them? But the hate that the Japanese have for the Chinese almost seems like a racial superiority complex more than anything else.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2012 7:10 AM

Aug 2010
Japan is racist towards all baka gaijins.
Jan 27, 2012 7:13 AM
Mar 2011
Homolust said:

From knowing several Japanese people, I have only seen them express it towards the Chinese.
Jan 27, 2012 7:22 AM

Jul 2010
How can it be racism if they are both the same race?
Jan 27, 2012 7:30 AM

Nov 2007
I feel like Japan is a little racist towards Korea, but that's changing with the newer generation who loves Kpop. On the other hand, a lot of Koreans are racist against Japan, whom they never forgave for invading them and then downplaying the whole event years later. Most Japanese are pretty ignorant of the whole situation...

Koreans are pretty racist against Chinese as well (if a person says you look Chinese that means you look ugly here), so I never thought much of it... Not that I agree with it, but it seems pretty common over here in Asia.
Jan 27, 2012 7:30 AM
Mar 2011
dsister said:

You can be racist toward your own race.

But this is a good point. It's more like generalizing, and is a form of racism.
Jan 27, 2012 7:53 AM

Sep 2008
MessageInTime said:
dsister said:

You can be racist toward your own race.

But this is a good point. It's more like generalizing, and is a form of racism.

What you're talking about is xenophobia, not racism.
Jan 27, 2012 8:05 AM

Jan 2011
MessageInTime said:
I always knew there was racism between Chinese and Japanese people, but what do you guys think about this? The Chinese hate the Japanese for downplaying what happened at Nanking, and the Japanese hate the Chinese for... Being Chinese. But for years now the hate has grown into simple, irrational racism.

The Japanese also did Unit 731, and Pearl Harbour. They also conquered South East Asia and basically made lives worse wherever they went.

Japanese are xenophobic. Way more xenophobic than Chinese. Consider that Chinese's history includes Boxing, Opium Wars, and bombardment into hell by the west. And even so, I would still think it is more probable for a Japanese to hate outsiders than Chinese, perhaps they are used to it, or something.

MessageInTime said:
I know a Chinese and Japanese girl (both from Japan and China). The Japanese girl knows Japanese, English and German. Whereas the Chinese girl knows Mandarin, Linhai dialect, English and Korean. Both are straight A students and are at the top of their class. Both are very pretty. In fact, from knowing both of them they'd probably make great friends... But both are INCREDIBLY racist toward each others race. It pains me to know two perfectly smart, beautiful girls can be that close minded.
Totally random anecdote, plus absolutely irrelevant and unnecessary words like 'beautiful.' I'm not sure why it'd pain it, or that I advise that you get used to it, because humans are not rational, and this translates well into how rational hate is.

MessageInTime said:
Does anyone have experiences with this? What do you guys think? Honestly I can kind of understand the hatred the Chinese have for the Japanese... Imagine if Germany tried to downplay the holocaust. Do you know how much our people would vilify them? But the hate that the Japanese have for the Chinese almost seems like a racial superiority complex more than anything else.

Did you know that the richest people were Jews? And that Germany suffered a lot due to the absence of Jews. I'm not talking about whether Adolf was moral, but I think the driving out of Jews was dumb. The case for disabled and crippled makes more sense, as lowering liabilities is rational, but there's nearly no case for Jews.

And so, it'd be very bad for the above-mentioned situation to happen. For good reason.
ZmffkskemJan 27, 2012 8:10 AM

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 27, 2012 9:28 AM

Nov 2008
MessageInTime said:
Homolust said:

From knowing several Japanese people, I have only seen them express it towards the Chinese.

Almost all I know a very personal level exhibit this even when they go to US universities you can see the prejudice in their body language and almost always hangout with other Japanese students, Caucasians, and blacks.

Jan 27, 2012 9:40 AM

Apr 2010
Let's not forget that the Japanese used to hold swaths of territory in China..

Jan 27, 2012 9:47 AM
Feb 2010
Akamitsu said:
Do the Japanese hate Koreans? And Filipinos? And Russians? And Taiwanese?

This isn't some snarky comment in case the answer is "no", as I'm genuinely curious.
Jan 27, 2012 10:02 AM

Nov 2008
nerb said:
Akamitsu said:

This isn't some snarky comment in case the answer is "no", as I'm genuinely curious.

Koreans hate the Japanese more than the Japanese Hate them.

Jan 27, 2012 10:09 AM

Jan 2011
dsister said:

This is hilarious, can't you distinguish between a Spaniard and Brit? Hint: The Brits are ugly as fuck and the Spaniards have more hair than monkeys.
Jan 27, 2012 10:10 AM

Jul 2008
Hoppy said:
nerb said:
Akamitsu said:

Koreans hate the Japanese more than the Japanese Hate them.

Not really, from what I've seen, the Asian countries are just a clusterfuck of hate . Not only to themselves, but just about every one out there.
Jan 27, 2012 10:17 AM

Dec 2007
At my university the e-board for the Japanese student association has more Chinese people on it than Japanese people. I also met someone on Omegle or Chat Roulette or some stupid chat site who didn't like Japanese people just because he was Chinese. You're going to find people on both sides of the fence, but because people more often speak about things they have a problem with rather than things they don't you're more likely to see tension between the nations rather than acceptance. Also if you think that Japanese people in general xenophobic, you probably think you're an expert on Japanese culture because you watch their cartoons.

#NBHNC
Jan 27, 2012 10:56 AM

May 2008
Zmffkskem said:

Did you know that the richest people were Jews? And that Germany suffered a lot due to the absence of Jews. I'm not talking about whether Adolf was moral, but I think the driving out of Jews was dumb. The case for disabled and crippled makes more sense, as lowering liabilities is rational, but there's nearly no case for Jews.

They were disowned and that was pretty much the reason to get rid of them - you need some money for starting a war

Edit:
I remember a sentence of an interview with a chinese bm-act:

i don't think it is a ns behaviour to nourish feelings of hatred towards a nation, which used to invade our nation as a nazi country during the world war II and prepare to invade us at any moment.

It's the same with islamic countries hating the US...
OnitenshiJan 27, 2012 11:02 AM
Jan 27, 2012 11:01 AM

Jan 2011
PeanutSteak said:
Also if you think that Japanese people in general xenophobic, you probably think you're an expert on Japanese culture because you watch their cartoons.

The US, Iran, Germany, Saudi Arabia(As far as Sharia law goes, there's nothing against 'foreigners'), ... Not even China or South Korea display the level of xenophobia(i.e. 'I no like you cuz you gaijin!') Japanese today exhibit, even if at a relatively lower level compared to the past.

So it's obviously still notable.

EDIT:
Onitenshi said:

They were disowned and that was pretty much the reason to get rid of them - you need some money for starting a war
This is nothing near a reason at all, other than pointless hate. I'm not willing to throw names and examples of how Germany suffered, but I can say it did.

Onitenshi said:
Edit:
I remember a sentence of an interview with a chinese bm-act:

i don't think it is a ns behaviour to nourish feelings of hatred towards a nation, which used to invade our nation as a nazi country during the world war II and prepare to invade us at any moment.

It's the same with islamic countries hating the US...
Well, it's quite right but not quite. For one, there's a lot of $ involved regarding the US-Middle East.
ZmffkskemJan 27, 2012 11:07 AM

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 27, 2012 11:28 AM
Mar 2011
PeanutSteak said:
At my university the e-board for the Japanese student association has more Chinese people on it than Japanese people. I also met someone on Omegle or Chat Roulette or some stupid chat site who didn't like Japanese people just because he was Chinese. You're going to find people on both sides of the fence, but because people more often speak about things they have a problem with rather than things they don't you're more likely to see tension between the nations rather than acceptance. Also if you think that Japanese people in general xenophobic, you probably think you're an expert on Japanese culture because you watch their cartoons.

I was merely asking a question and trying to create discussion. As far as being an "otaku", that could be farther from the case. I'm moving to China in the summer and I would have chosen Japan if I was the least bit interested in moving there. I could simply say the reason why you felt the need to defend Japan is because you watch their cartoons.

I'm not putting all Japanese and Chinese into one group, what I'm saying are facts. Chances are if you asked someone from Japan what they thought of China, it wouldn't be a good opinion. And vice versa.
Jan 27, 2012 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
Guys, this is not really up for discussion. Japan and China are racist against each other for whatever stupid reason, but there's not much anyone can do about it, because most people of those nations think the same way when it comes to that. It really is too much to ask for everyone to just set aside their differences and get along for once. Someday, the world won't be like that, I hope, but I probably won't live to see the day. We can try to make a difference, but without much help, we can't get anywhere within hearing distance of both nations.
Jan 27, 2012 2:38 PM

Feb 2008
There is a long fighting history between Japan & China. There were lots of shit, before even the modern era, with Buddhism from China occupying Japan [Japanese people were very protective of Shinto], and as neighboring countries with strong monarchies in past, Japan & China did clash more than several times in history.

And then came the world wars & stuff after that.

So I can understand the racism. I do agree that it's not good, and I do agree that it's very close-minded, but I can understand it because most of my fellow countrymen have the same kind of racism towards another neighboring country. It is all just about what your family teaches you.
Jan 27, 2012 2:41 PM

Dec 2008
It's a complicated issue, I think. Granted, I don't know how much I can contribute to this discussion but I've had related second-hand experiences. I've lived and grown up in Canada and have never visited Japan. I think the dislike stems mostly from the older generations - those who remember WWII - and unfortunately, such intense negative experiences can have a "ripple effect" on their descendants.

For example, my siblings and I are half-Japanese (third generation, however, living in Canada). My sister once dated a Korean guy but they never told his grandmother that she was half-Japanese because he knew his grandmother would hate my sister for it, even though my grandparents were already in Canada during the war (and interned for being Japanese, too). His grandmother, you see, still held a deep-rooted hate towards the Japanese because she experienced the war.

Similarly, I used to have a Chinese-Canadian online friend. Her grandmother also remembered the war and hated my friend's fondness for anime purely because anime is Japanese. My friend was accused of liking Japanese culture more than her native Chinese culture.

I have a hope, however, that the younger generations will realize that hating one another will produce nothing positive. When I recently went to visit my relatives in the Philippines, one of my cousins was hosting a visiting student from Japan (the student was one of an entire class that visited for a few weeks). The relationship between the Japanese and Filipino students seemed to be good despite the fact that the Philippines was also invaded and occupied by Japan during WWII. Also, in university, I was part of my school's Japanese club. There were members of all sorts of nationalities, including Chinese, and there didn't seem to be any issues between the Chinese members and the Japanese members.

But, like I said, I don't claim to have much authority on the issue. I have never been to Japan, either of the Koreas, China, etc., and it's not like I've asked someone, "So, what do you think of Japan/China/Korea?" =/
Jan 27, 2012 5:14 PM

Aug 2008
As an Asian myself, the easiest way to put it into words for non-Asians is: it's an Asian thing. It's Asian to hate among ourselves, I guess :/

I feel like a lot of the times these convos come up, people bring up that Asians do get along... in a Western country. Here in the US, Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc. can all get a long just fine. But that's because they were raised as Americans in an American environment. If you actually go to Asia, where everyone was born and raised there, you'd find that their feelings toward their Asian neighbors are A LOT more complex.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jan 27, 2012 6:26 PM

Dec 2008
PeanutSteak said:

Quoting for the truth.

As for the rest of the thread...
AlanViBritannia said:
There is a long fighting history between Japan & China. There were lots of shit, before even the modern era, with Buddhism from China occupying Japan [Japanese people were very protective of Shinto], and as neighboring countries with strong monarchies in past, Japan & China did clash more than several times in history.

You're just making that up right?
Jan 27, 2012 6:31 PM

Oct 2008
I find mostly its the old generations that dislikes other asians due to the wars, and it really depends where you are in China. In Hong Kong they even have a Japanese TV channel, so there isn't much hate there. But mostly, I find a lot of asians are tolerant of other asians in general.
Jan 28, 2012 12:07 AM
Mar 2010
japan is just jelly of china's rich history and superior achievements in art, religion and philosophy. although i'd give japan the lead today because of china's sucking up to maoist malarkey and general hive-mindedness.
Jan 28, 2012 12:24 AM

Dec 2010
They're totally free to tear themselves apart. I don't really care.
Jan 28, 2012 1:55 AM

May 2008
guyklc said:
As an Asian myself, the easiest way to put it into words for non-Asians is: it's an Asian thing. It's Asian to hate among ourselves, I guess :/

Nah, it's the same with Europe (ex-Kosovo or Britain/Ireland for example...)
Jan 28, 2012 2:59 AM

Dec 2011
Onitenshi said:
guyklc said:

Nah, it's the same with Europe (ex-Kosovo or Britain/Ireland for example...)

I don't think Brits hate the Irish any more than we hate the Welsh/Scottish/English (delete as appropriate).
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 28, 2012 3:51 AM

Jun 2008
Lauriet said:

Don't be stupid, if the Japanese start fighting with the Chinese who's gonna make our animu? :p
Jan 28, 2012 3:59 AM

Dec 2009
Monad said:
Lauriet said:

Don't be stupid, if the Japanese start fighting with the Chinese who's gonna make our animu? :p

Well duuh. Nickelodeon of course. They already made the best animu evar.
Jan 28, 2012 3:08 PM

Aug 2011
Yes. Chinese people (at least the older generations) don't like Japanese people, and it might be vice versa but I wouldn't know since I'm only Chinese.

I honestly have nothing against Japan, but my parents sometimes do, which is why they don't approve of anime/manga. LOL xD
Jan 28, 2012 3:47 PM

Mar 2008
A lot of criminals flee from China to Japan, so a lot of the Japanese prisons house them. That would probably bother me if I lived in Japan.

I think the Chinese reason for hating Japanese is silly, because it's not even relevant. I know that there are Chinese people who dislike Japan for historical reasons (parents of people I know). I'm not childish enough to dislike individuals based on something someone else of the same ethnicity did a long time ago.

Honestly I don't think Japanese people really care. My parents don't. I communicate with Japanese people daily and from my (limited) experience with the matter they're just totally chill with Chinese people. I think this is just because Japanese parents don't go out of their way to brainwash their kids...because they don't care enough. But I do know Chinese individuals who are affected by their parents' dislike for Japanese people. It's sad to see. It's just awkward. You seriously should be worrying about your own life more than something someone did 70 years ago to someone of your ethnicity. Like go study something or do something for your community.
Jan 28, 2012 7:16 PM

Dec 2009
Japaneses hate
#1 Korea * South & North; but since there's a lack of fights with the North due to its shutdown policy, the South tends to get more negatives. There are a lot of ongoing conflicts e.g. territory conflicts: See Liancourt Rocks; copyright problems; business competitions etc.

#2 China.
It's often a target of humiliation/criticism in news. Apart from history, there's ongoing territory conflicts. See Senkaku Islands. The situation is similar to Korea but Korea often rank higher in stat.
Taiwan is excluded. In fact, it is one of the most friendly "countries" for Japan.
Hong Kong is also excluded, which is rather neutral.

#3 USA
History, military occupation & trade conflicts, current world politics

#4+ England, Australia, Russia

It's just in statistics not every Japanese behaves the same. Rankings may vary but the top 3 more or less stay top.
Note that many Japaneses like England & USA too, while K-pop and drama is popular among some Japaneses.

I don't see why one need to hate a person because he/she dislike the country. But if they are grown up in different countries, then it may be because they have different cultures which affect their love & hate. They do have different values and behave differently.
bottleJan 28, 2012 7:25 PM
Jan 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Dec 2008
Fui said:
Honestly I don't think Japanese people really care. My parents don't. I communicate with Japanese people daily and from my (limited) experience with the matter they're just totally chill with Chinese people. I think this is just because Japanese parents don't go out of their way to brainwash their kids...because they don't care enough. But I do know Chinese individuals who are affected by their parents' dislike for Japanese people. It's sad to see. It's just awkward. You seriously should be worrying about your own life more than something someone did 70 years ago to someone of your ethnicity. Like go study something or do something for your community.

Does anyone remember the nico incident?

I am aware that everyone is a Japan fan here, but let's not put them on a pedestal just because. There are Chinese who are racist and some who are not, the same goes for Japan. You don't go "Chinese people are racist, but Japan just don't care 'cause they're boss like that."

Seriously everything said in this thread is just a bunch of overgeneralizations imo. The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans share a lot of media attention. There's a HK TV channel in Japan, and the HK film industry is also pretty big over there. Celebrities from Korea, Japan and Hong Kong make stops in each other's countries to meet fans, promote movies, do TV shows, take part in game shows and stuff. The thing is these shows and celebrities are *uknown* in the west, no one would watch them if they showed them on American TV. Has anyone ever heard of Cine City Hong Kong in Tokyo? That would be the equivalent of a weeaboo shop in the west; mugs, posters, figurines, DVDs, music and books that teach you how to speak 広東語, amongst other things. And this all began during the older generation of Asians. Plenty of Chinese kids also grew up watching Japanese anime, and it's not like their parents are limiting their exposure to Japanese media.

I kind of left out China in all of this, but Hong Kong are Chinese too. Either way I'm just showing that a majority aren't as racist as people seem to think they are. And those who are racist exist mostly on the internet making overgeneralizations, like us lolol.

Also to add (not directed at anyone in particular), you being Asian doesn't make your opinion more authentic than anything said by others. I have learned to question any comments made about Asians, by westernized Asians.
Jan 28, 2012 7:43 PM

Dec 2010
Well, some of the Chinese have copied the Japanese so part of the hate stems from that. I'm not really sure why they hate each other THAT much though...it boggles me.

Jan 28, 2012 8:10 PM

Aug 2008
Mouhappai said:
Also to add (not directed at anyone in particular), you being Asian doesn't make your opinion more authentic than anything said by others. I have learned to question any comments made about Asians, by westernized Asians.

I will respond to this because I've said something similar along this line. I'm not trying to say that I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but I think the opinions of Asian people living in Asia are more likely to reflect the opinions of real Asian people in general.

Westernized Asians form a very small minority in the Asian people community (globally speaking), and most of them are only Asian by blood, and not necessarily by heart. Therefore, the opinions of Westernized Asians are just very small voices among Asian people.

Anyways, this is the feeling that I get as an Asian who has lived in both Asia and the US.

Jan 28, 2012 9:15 PM

Dec 2010
Forgive and Forget - Does it exist between Japan and China?
Jan 28, 2012 9:36 PM

Dec 2009
kjra92 said:

Chineses fight among themselves
Taiwaneses hate Chinese
Hong Kong people hate mainland Chinese
Racism is largely Allowed and in practice in Asia (even it's not really a different race).
People seeing these will not try to discourage them, they may ignore if not joining ...
Jan 28, 2012 11:28 PM

Aug 2008
bottle said:
kjra92 said:

Taiwaneses hate Chinese
Racism is largely Allowed and in practice in Asia (even it's not really a different race).
People seeing these will not try to discourage them, they may ignore if not joining ...

Actually, as a Taiwanese myself who has lived in Taiwan and been to China multiple times, I actually think you're more likely to find a Mainlander who hates Taiwanese than a Taiwanese who hates Mainlanders. Once, when I was in Beijing, I was talking to a friend on a taxi. I just mentioned that I was from Taiwan (no political talks or anything), and the taxi driver just stopped driving and started bitching out at me at how much he hates Taiwan and Taiwanese people for being traitors. In Taiwan, while most are suspicious of the Communist government, I've never heard anyone in person bitching out at Mainlanders for no reason. I even once wore a Beijing 2008 Olympics T-shirt in a rather pro-independence neighborhood; no one said anything. On the contrary, a lot of Taiwanese think it's a cool thing that my parents actually work in China.

Jan 29, 2012 12:10 AM
Jan 2012
bottle said:
kjra92 said:

Taiwaneses hate Chinese

My experience in China and with Chinese immigrants in N. America has been that they are no more racist than Americans, but they are more outspoken. White people I know are less comfortable talking about race because "racism" is considered a character flaw (at least where I live). My personal experience with Japanese is that they tend to be more reserved about commenting on racial or national characteristics, but I've also heard plenty of stories to the contrary about Japanese comments to foreigners, especially blacks.

Forgive and forget? What is more concerning to me is that people and nations seem to forget the past too easily.
http://visionsofparadise.blogspot.com/2005/12/wages-of-guilt.html
"The situation in Japan is as scary. One former Japanese Minister of Education told Buruma that there were no shameful episodes in modern Japanese history, an easily-accepted belief since Japanese textbooks have never taught the atrocities committed by the Japanese army. While West German education requires an average of 60 hours of teaching the history of the Nazi era–all of it with the goal of exposing the sins of the past–Japanese textbooks have always been carefully controlled by the government so as not to contain any information which might be embarrassing to Japan in any way. "
Jan 29, 2012 9:11 AM

Dec 2009
guyklc said:
bottle said:
kjra92 said:

Taiwaneses hate Chinese

Actually, as a Taiwanese myself who has lived in Taiwan and been to China multiple times, I actually think you're more likely to find a Mainlander who hates Taiwanese than a Taiwanese who hates Mainlanders.

Try posting in TW board in simplified Chinese and use mainlander dialects, then start talking about TW politics and see how often you will get bashed by TW people.
Jan 29, 2012 10:10 AM

Aug 2008
bottle said:
guyklc said:
bottle said:
kjra92 said:

Taiwaneses hate Chinese

Actually, as a Taiwanese myself who has lived in Taiwan and been to China multiple times, I actually think you're more likely to find a Mainlander who hates Taiwanese than a Taiwanese who hates Mainlanders.

Try posting in TW board in simplified Chinese and use mainlander dialects, then start talking about TW politics and see how often you will get bashed by TW people.

Oh, not saying that there's no hatred against Mainlanders from Taiwanese. I know there are plenty of them. They're just not as outspoken in real life in comparison to the Mainlanders. After all, anti-China groups in Taiwan have plenty of supporters.

Jan 29, 2012 10:12 AM

Dec 2007
Everyone is racist to China.

/thread.
Jan 29, 2012 10:44 AM

Dec 2009
guyklc said:
After all, anti-China groups in Taiwan have plenty of supporters.

Same in Japan, they got supporters for anti-China and anti-Korea groups.

For mainlanders, although personal experience differs, in general, there's no strong reason for them to hate TW or HK... unless someone got personally discriminated by them. Anyway, racism brings more hates. People who are neutral tend to avoid politics & history in daily chats.
bottleJan 29, 2012 10:50 AM
Jan 29, 2012 11:25 AM

Mar 2008
Mouhappai said:
Fui said:

Does anyone remember the nico incident?

I am aware that everyone is a Japan fan here, but let's not put them on a pedestal just because. There are Chinese who are racist and some who are not, the same goes for Japan. You don't go "Chinese people are racist, but Japan just don't care 'cause they're boss like that."

Seriously everything said in this thread is just a bunch of overgeneralizations imo. The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans share a lot of media attention. There's a HK TV channel in Japan, and the HK film industry is also pretty big over there. Celebrities from Korea, Japan and Hong Kong make stops in each other's countries to meet fans, promote movies, do TV shows, take part in game shows and stuff. The thing is these shows and celebrities are *uknown* in the west, no one would watch them if they showed them on American TV. Has anyone ever heard of Cine City Hong Kong in Tokyo? That would be the equivalent of a weeaboo shop in the west; mugs, posters, figurines, DVDs, music and books that teach you how to speak 広東語, amongst other things. And this all began during the older generation of Asians. Plenty of Chinese kids also grew up watching Japanese anime, and it's not like their parents are limiting their exposure to Japanese media.

I kind of left out China in all of this, but Hong Kong are Chinese too. Either way I'm just showing that a majority aren't as racist as people seem to think they are. And those who are racist exist mostly on the internet making overgeneralizations, like us lolol.

I said based on my limited experience. I merely stated from my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I have met several individuals who are racist to Japanese but none vice versa (internationally or at home).

In either case it's sad to hear that. Because from streams I've seen Japanese people have listened to Chinese songs and sung along, and treated Chinese individuals internationally almost like celebrities. But again, that's from my personal experience.
Jan 29, 2012 12:06 PM

Feb 2009
Racism is ALWAYS ugly.

I think what has been done to black people is inexcusable. I think what has been done to native Americans is inexcusable. I think what has been done to Aborigines is inexcusable.

The simple truth is almost our entire race is inexcusably racist.

And when you consider that following the eruption of Toba most of our race was eliminated, and all of our ancestors really come from a VERY small slice of genetic stock, to think that any of us are all that different regardless of surface cosmetic details is really only what it is, a lack of good education.

But that's the problem with racism eh, most of it is driven by ignorance and people with small minds.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jan 29, 2012 1:41 PM
Apr 2009
feder said:
I feel like Japan is a little racist towards Korea, but that's changing with the newer generation who loves Kpop. On the other hand, a lot of Koreans are racist against Japan, whom they never forgave for invading them and then downplaying the whole event years later. Most Japanese are pretty ignorant of the whole situation...

Koreans are pretty racist against Chinese as well (if a person says you look Chinese that means you look ugly here), so I never thought much of it... Not that I agree with it, but it seems pretty common over here in Asia.

The word for Korean 朝鮮 (Chousen) is considered a derogatory slur, and is often avoided when possible since WW2. From 1910-1945, Korea was under Japanese rule, and the Japanese frequently used the word 朝鮮人 with contempt for the "inferior people". If you read the manga "Barefoot Gen" you will see alot of the anti-korean sentiment among the Japanese people. Now due to trying to be more politically correct, some people even go so far as to call Korean (the language) 韓国語 (kankokugo - south Korean language) which is of course not actually correct, but there does not exist a prejudice free term to describe Korea as a whole. Imagine if the only word we had to describe people from Africa was "niggers" and say that Swahili was simply known as "nigga-speak". If you understand these sorts of problems in the language itself, it really illustrates the problems in the society. The Japanese racism towards Korea is reflected in their language...

All I gotta say, is Japan has not done a good job of keeping good relations with its neighbors, probably the only one of its "neighbors" which seems to not dislike Japan on some cultural level is Australia (if that is considered a neighbor). China and North Korea HATE Japan, South Korea is wary of Japan, Russia is still a bit sore over their humiliation by Japan during the Russo-Japanese war combined with Japan being America's tool/bitch politically coupled with some border disputes, and all the south Asian countries are held in disdain by the Japanese so they hardly "feel" the love.
Jan 29, 2012 3:21 PM

Jun 2011
spoke to a chinese taxi driver the other night who hated the japs.. i asked him why and he said Nanjing.. he said the chinese are burning because the japs never apologised properly. his name was kevin and he has a chinese wife and they visit china every 3 months. he also told me that china is now capitalist and they are changing their ways
Jan 29, 2012 5:22 PM

Oct 2010
from what I 've seen,not all chinese hate japanese.As evidence,there are many chinese love anime,there are tons of forum about anime or japanese culture in chinese.If they hate Japan so much,they won't buy anime from Japan.Only minority of them hold grudge about the massacre in Nanjing done by japanese since it happen long time ago

Some Chinese say Japan government alter the history about the masasarce of Nanjing and they say they hate Japanese because of this.I dunno the detail but I believe some media in Japan convey the message of "Japan had done something terrible to China long time ago."For example,in this anime(ghost hunt):

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1571/Ghost_Hunt

there was one eposide that the main female character(Mai) apologise to the Hong Kong man(Lin)because her country has done something terrible to China.This anime is broadcast in Japan openly.In this case,we can see some Japanese already accept this trth and feel sorry.So,I,myself,as a chinese(although I'm not from China)hope that chinese should not hold grudge to Japan anymore.Chinese shouldn't do something like laughing at Japanese when the big earthquake happen and their nuclear reactor melt down(In my knowledge,some chinese laugh at japanese and say they deserve this in Internet when 311 earthquake happen).
Signature Removed
Jan 29, 2012 5:46 PM

Nov 2009
Japan in their typically 1st world patriotism, badly denouncing anything, except themselves, that pulls the shallow facepalm...
China in their typically increasing ego due to their increasing economy and dependency of the world to them...

end result: a typical battle of mouth stretching and tongue sticking(childish raspberries)...meh

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.