Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 20, 2008 2:46 PM

Apr 2008
Now this may seem like a pretty broad topic so lemme give you a sort of example. Has anyone else noticed the fascination with having gay people, stereotypical black people, and Hitler in anime? Seen anything similar or something that seems to occur often in anime? Lemme know, I'm curious as to what will come up.

Aug 20, 2008 2:53 PM

Aug 2008
flcl definitely got some werid stuff in it lol
lol
Aug 20, 2008 3:03 PM

Jul 2008
Where have you seen stereotypical black people? I'll try to steer clear of those anime, 'cause I know that would piss me off. I was suspicious of Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu? in that regard, but.. I'm going to pretend/hope I'm just overly sensitive. Anyway, yes, I've noticed neo-Nazis in a few anime. Even though it's just a few, that's probably already proportionally more than I've ever seen in a live-action series from the USA, the UK, Canada, or Australia..

Cross-dressing, ambiguous gender, same-sex attraction, etc does seem popular, and maybe it's my imagination but it seems that I've mostly seen it in shoujo stuff so far.

Girls who say gao, uguu, ayuuuu and I won't leave out Elfen Lied's nyuu.

Guys who become headcases over females' white underpants. Seriously. They're underpants.. get over it :/

This list could be endless :o
Aug 20, 2008 3:10 PM

Apr 2008
I have never seen an anime with Hitler in it, and of the relatively few gay and black people I see they're mostly non-stereotypical. Or maybe those things just don't appear in seinen (which is the kind of anime I usually watch)?

However, I have noticed a few odd things showing up often in anime, e.g. aroused men getting nosebleeds, all British people are blonde, bizarre hair colours, etc.
Aug 20, 2008 3:17 PM

Jul 2008
Giant Machines fighting each other in space.
Aug 20, 2008 3:19 PM

Jul 2008
Napalmbrain said:
I have never seen an anime with Hitler in it, and of the relatively few gay and black people I see they're mostly non-stereotypical. Or maybe those things just don't appear in seinen (which is the kind of anime I usually watch)?

However, I have noticed a few odd things showing up often in anime, e.g. aroused men getting nosebleeds, all British people are blonde, bizarre hair colours, etc.

I saw neo-Nazis in Monster, that's seinen. Obviously, not actually Hitler :) I've only seen Hitler himself in one, non-seinen anime.

Oh, bizarre hair colours, I should have noted that one. I guess I'm so used to it now, I take it for granted that people in Japan have blue hair and purple eyes.
Aug 20, 2008 3:22 PM

Apr 2008
name_one said:
I saw neo-Nazis in Monster, that's seinen. Obviously, not actually Hitler :) I've only seen Hitler himself in one, non-seinen anime.

I never I hadn't seen any neo-Nazis. Monster and Black Lagoon both had them.
Aug 20, 2008 3:24 PM

Jul 2008
Napalmbrain said:
name_one said:

I never I hadn't seen any neo-Nazis. Monster and Black Lagoon both had them.

Okay, I know.. I was only mentioning it as a related topic. I also thought maybe the original poster might have meant something like that, rather than Hitler himself striding on-screen.
Aug 20, 2008 3:24 PM

Jul 2007
I thought there were stereotypical gay and black people and Hitler parodies in every facet of popular culture :P
Aug 20, 2008 3:26 PM

Jul 2008
madeener said:
I thought there were stereotypical gay and black people and Hitler parodies in every facet of popular culture :P

Of course :p But I haven't seen any Hitler parodies in anime, only Nazism in more serious contexts. Or I think they were intended to be serious, all neo-Nazis make me laugh (in a bad way).
Aug 20, 2008 3:31 PM

Jul 2007

Behold.
Aug 20, 2008 3:33 PM

Jul 2008
- Japanese people without slitty eyes.

-Japanese 18 year old girls who look like they're six years old. Apparently, the country is fond of pedophilia.

-Japanese guys who are good-looking. Never happens in real life.

-Japanese girls with large breasts. See above.

-Japanese guys or girls who are big, or, to stretch the imagination even further, tall.

-Girls that can fight well. Of any nationality.

-Kids or young teenagers that can fight well. Of any nationality.

-Shotokan karate, Tae Kwon Do, or any other useless traditional martial art being used effectively in a street fight.

There are more, but that will do for now.
Aug 20, 2008 3:39 PM

Jul 2007
:O I see you have a very realistic view of fictional Japanese characters.
Aug 20, 2008 3:40 PM

Jul 2008
madeener, are you saying that's a parody, or just Hitler as a character? I can't remember much of the FMA movie; I tried to block it from memory.
Aug 20, 2008 4:01 PM

Apr 2008
Konohamaru and Gang on Ben 10?! o_0

Naruto Copies Cowboy Bebop 0_o

Aug 20, 2008 4:29 PM

Apr 2008
Yes, really I meant portraying Nazis in general. Black Lagoon is one of the many with the Neo-Nazis, although Hitler does make in appearance in FMA and an anime about ping-pong. As for the stereotypical black guys, well it's a stereotype all it's own. Huge in stature usually sporting military attire, either bald, with dreads, or an afro, a strong silent type, sunglasses on ALWAYS, usually smoking a cigar, and a cool nickname in place of an actual name. It's not in EVERY anime but a good few for sure. The first example I can think of now is, well, Black Lagoon.

Aug 20, 2008 4:30 PM

Jul 2007
If a parody can mean a burlesque representation, than it's both :P
Aug 20, 2008 5:10 PM

Jul 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
- Japanese people without slitty eyes.

-Japanese 18 year old girls who look like they're six years old. Apparently, the country is fond of pedophilia.

-Japanese guys who are good-looking. Never happens in real life.

-Japanese girls with large breasts. See above.

-Japanese guys or girls who are big, or, to stretch the imagination even further, tall.

-Girls that can fight well. Of any nationality.

-Kids or young teenagers that can fight well. Of any nationality.

-Shotokan karate, Tae Kwon Do, or any other useless traditional martial art being used effectively in a street fight.

There are more, but that will do for now.

I think these cover all of anime.
Aug 20, 2008 5:31 PM

Jul 2007
Ninjas that wear orange on missions.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Aug 20, 2008 5:47 PM

Jul 2008
yakyuu-addict said:

I think these cover all of anime.

Not at all. I can think of a LOT of exceptions to every single comment I made in that post. If they did cover all of anime, I might not even be a fan of the genre, heh.

However, they are all common elements I like to make fun of.

Other things I've learned;

-If a Japanese girl hits you, especially if it's a hard hit to the back of the head, it means she's probably madly in love with you.

-A lot of Japanese girls have green, purple, blue, bright red, or even orange hair. Those crazy schoolgirls just love their hair dye!

-Japanese girls have eyes that are at least a hundred times larger than their nose, and at least ten times larger than their mouth. They also glow in the dark!
Aug 20, 2008 5:52 PM

Jun 2008
12 and 15 years olds that kick the crap out of a 30 year old.

Girls that for some reason where very short skirts but they suddenly get embarrassed if they fall and everyone sees the view.

Young strong boys (usually the main character) who can eat as much as an army.

Old wise men(usually they teach something to the main character) that are perverts.

Main characters that in 90% of the case go to school.(Whats wrong with a 26 or 35 year old guy or girl being the main character).

Funny episodes were a whole building can fell on a character but nothing happens to him because it's in a funny episode so nobody gets heard.

Characters that bleed and bleed and lose tones of blood get huge injuries but after a while they are good to go.
MonadAug 20, 2008 5:56 PM
Aug 20, 2008 6:08 PM

Aug 2008
salazar1 said:
12 and 15 years olds that kick the crap out of a 30 year old.

Girls that for some reason where very short skirts but they suddenly get embarrassed if they fall and everyone sees the view.

I dont find those strange. The others you mention were.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Aug 20, 2008 10:31 PM

May 2008
I honestly am a little bit weirded out by how chaste women in anime act.

The other stuff seems normal enough though.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 21, 2008 5:04 AM

Jul 2008
salazar1 said:
Characters that bleed and bleed and lose tones of blood get huge injuries but after a while they are good to go.

Want to start a list? This is the thing I hate most about anime. I find myself way too happy when I see something approaching a real effect of violence. Off the top of my head, these situations have been most annoying:
- Get stabbed in the stomach, get really dizzy, have blurred vision and nearly pass out, then spend the rest of the episode walking, talking, shouting, debating, fighting.. all without medical treatment and no further visible bleeding.
- Lose an arm, drop one big glob of blood and then promptly quit bleeding.
- Get a really shallow cut that goes "whoosh!" as a mass of blood spurts out real fast. You know, as if you've just been stabbed somewhere vital when it's just a skin deep cut on your face.
- People that go "whooosh!" and make ridiculous squelching noises when they are murdered. God, I hate that so much.
Aug 21, 2008 9:57 AM

Aug 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
Girls that can fight well. Of any nationality.

meh so you're sexist

besides so many anime has its characters relying on some kind of magic that goes beyond pure physical strength

im more annoyed of the girl who can't do anything unless the male comes and gives some kind of assistance, irritates me to no end
Aug 21, 2008 10:07 AM

Apr 2008
Giant humanoid robots are always superior to tanks, despite the fact that they are much better targets, are more difficult to build and even the smallest defect in their very complicated locomotion system is enough to disable the machine.

Also, said vehicles are powered by acoustic energy, means the louder the pilot shouts, the more powerful the attack is, even beyond the technical limitations.

Also, children, especially little girls, are the most dangerous things ever
Aug 21, 2008 10:32 AM

Jun 2008
Kodomo no Jikan. The whole anime is strange.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Aug 21, 2008 1:47 PM

Jun 2008
Flying turtles & cats.
We're on the bed, but your clothes are lying right there~
Aug 21, 2008 1:49 PM

May 2008
pra said:
Also, children, especially little girls, are the most dangerous things ever

This is not silly, killer lolis will take over the world.>:3

gswelcome said:

meh so you're sexist

im more annoyed of the girl who can't do anything unless the male comes and gives some kind of assistance, irritates me to no end

I like you.

Aug 21, 2008 1:54 PM

Jan 2008
I Like To Watch YAOI & YURI
But Seriously If U Think About IT
Why The Heck
Isnt There MALES in Yuri
Or Girls In YAOI
I Just Think its Strange!
You Know You Want My Muffin!

I Know U Do!
Aug 21, 2008 2:38 PM

Jul 2008
gswelcome said:
ShaolinRibiero said:
Girls that can fight well. Of any nationality.

meh so you're sexist

Nope, I'm just a realist. I used to be an amateur boxer, and have done a number of different martial arts, with the present one being BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu).

I have never, ever seen a girl that can fight well in real life, and only a very, very small handful of professional female fighters that would even be capable of defeating a decent male amateur. (Lucia Rijker, Chris Cyborg, and to a lesser extent Gina Carano are the examples that come to mind)

gswelcome said:

besides so many anime has its characters relying on some kind of magic that goes beyond pure physical strength

I never said I was against this, or wish it to end in future anime. It's just unrealistic, that's all.

gswelcome said:

I guess some anime directors still take the realistic approach. Good to know.
Aug 21, 2008 3:46 PM

Sep 2007
Hells_Pastry said:
As for the stereotypical black guys, well it's a stereotype all it's own. Huge in stature usually sporting military attire, either bald, with dreads, or an afro, a strong silent type, sunglasses on ALWAYS, usually smoking a cigar, and a cool nickname in place of an actual name. It's not in EVERY anime but a good few for sure. The first example I can think of now is, well, Black Lagoon.

I've NEVER seen a single black anime character that:
- had dreads
- was military
- smoked a cigar

ONE that:
- was silent (Jadakins - Tokyo Tribe 2)
- wore sunglasses (Killer Bee - Naruto)
- went by a nickname (Killer Bee - Naruto)

and TWO that:
- wore an afro (Octave - Interstella 5555, Afro - Afro Samurai)
- wore cornrows (Killer Bee - Naruto, Jadakins - Tokyo Tribe 2)

That's really not many, considering all the black characters I've seen in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Aug 21, 2008 4:55 PM

Aug 2008
Major_G said:
Hells_Pastry said:
As for the stereotypical black guys, well it's a stereotype all it's own. Huge in stature usually sporting military attire, either bald, with dreads, or an afro, a strong silent type, sunglasses on ALWAYS, usually smoking a cigar, and a cool nickname in place of an actual name. It's not in EVERY anime but a good few for sure. The first example I can think of now is, well, Black Lagoon.

- had dreads
- was military
- smoked a cigar

ONE that:

and TWO that:

That's really not many, considering all the black characters I've seen in anime.
Thank you so much oh yeah and that dont have pink lips.lol

Aug 21, 2008 6:01 PM

Apr 2008
Major_G said:
Hells_Pastry said:

- had dreads
- was military
- smoked a cigar

ONE that:

and TWO that:

Well I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong, but I've definitely seen them.

Aug 21, 2008 6:20 PM

Apr 2008
ShadowbladeEdge said:
- Apparently, nearly every being in the known universe can speak japanese : P

Ah, so true. It was refreshing to learn Revy in Black Lagoon couldn't speak Japanese (in-universe, of course), at least up until I heard her cringeworthy "English".

Which leads me to another odd thing in anime- why is it that they never, ever hire someone fluent in English to voice English speakers? They don't even have to be native English speakers, there's got to be someone in Japan who can speak the language properly.
Aug 21, 2008 8:59 PM

Aug 2008

not too many ways to draw people i suppose
Aug 21, 2008 9:08 PM

Jul 2008
gswelcome said:

Just to add to the hilarity, Bob Makihara gets beaten up by Japanese schoolgirls with giant breasts and unnaturally colored hair.
Aug 21, 2008 9:19 PM

Aug 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
gswelcome said:

Just to add to the hilarity, Bob Makihara gets beaten up by Japanese schoolgirls with giant breasts and unnaturally colored hair.

well i never cared for the giant breasts, i know some guys would disagree with me but there is a point where they are just too big (that said i love Maya) :D

as for the hair i think they are drawn that way to make the characters more easily identifiable, having them all with the standard black color would be dull anyway ;)
Aug 21, 2008 10:06 PM

Sep 2007
gswelcome said:

Ok - well, that's still only one character. Hardly a stereotype.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Aug 21, 2008 10:10 PM

Oct 2007
So no one's going to mention the fact that 95% of Japanese adolescents are orphans... and by i orphan i mean don't have parent... and by don't have parents i mean are always either out for the night, on a business trip, on vacation or just conveniently not there... seriously in the U.S. we have a place for parents like that... it's called jail...

oh and the weird tooth? that hangs out of the 'wild' characters mouth.. wth is that about?
Aug 21, 2008 11:06 PM

May 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:

Nope, I'm just a realist. I used to be an amateur boxer, and have done a number of different martial arts, with the present one being BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu).

I have never, ever seen a girl that can fight well in real life, and only a very, very small handful of professional female fighters that would even be capable of defeating a decent male amateur. (Lucia Rijker, Chris Cyborg, and to a lesser extent Gina Carano are the examples that come to mind)

Just because things are one way now, does not mean that's the way things will always be. You could say the same about one gender scoring better or race scoring better on tests. For centuries female athleticism has been suppressed and still is in a way. Women are raised on Barbies, men are raised on G.I.Joe and the like.

Saying women are weak is no better than saying black people are stupid.
So please clarify what you mean by realistic. Just as in, our current society?

ON FAMILY MATTERS THEY SHOWED A SMART BLACK KID, HOW UNREALISTIC AND SILLY HARHARHAR.

Aug 22, 2008 4:54 AM

Jul 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
gswelcome said:

I guess some anime directors still take the realistic approach. Good to know.

Are you trying to annoy people? Or is it just an accident, and in fact you genuinely do think women are completely stupid and helpless?
Apr 25, 2009 10:08 AM
Apr 25, 2009 10:25 AM

Jul 2008
so_addictive said:
So no one's going to mention the fact that 95% of Japanese adolescents are orphans... and by i orphan i mean don't have parent... and by don't have parents i mean are always either out for the night, on a business trip, on vacation or just conveniently not there... seriously in the U.S. we have a place for parents like that... it's called jail...

Same here.

Also I find it strange that 16-20 year old girls sound like their 5...
Apr 25, 2009 10:38 AM

Apr 2009
Hmm well, to head into a different alley,
I notice that if a police force/squad has to investigate
something, that there's always a detective (dressed in stereotypical light-brown long-coat)
all's fair so far, but they always (read: well very often)
have a hand-fan to fan themselves with.
And you only see them cary one

- Lith
Apr 25, 2009 11:01 AM

Feb 2005
ukonkivi said:
Actually, not quite. Women do have less muscle mass in general compared to men, it's one of the biological differences, not a cultural one. Doesn't stop women from training their muscles of course, but they'll have a harder time of it than males.

But one silly thing I often find in anime is the ridiculous concept of martial arts that's often present, making it seem like some magical techniques that can make a little untrained kid beat a huge boxer or sumo wrestler just by relying on all sorts of silly "chi" or similar magical wishwash, and even deflect or dodge bullets.
And the worst thing is, the story often portray this as not some magical extraordinary ability available only to one chosen champion or superhuman, but something anyone could do. Such things break my suspension of disbelief.

And then you have all the silly emphasis on emotion, particularly in mecha shows, making it seem like it would somehow be beneficial to be a hotblooded madman screaming in the comm and doing all sorts of illogical stunts rather than keep it cool and follow proper military procedures and logical level headed tactics.
Apr 25, 2009 11:17 AM

Apr 2009
I've totally noticed the Hitler thing.
Apr 25, 2009 11:55 AM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
ukonkivi said:

Actually, not quite. Women do have less muscle mass in general compared to men, it's one of the biological differences, not a cultural one. Doesn't stop women from training their muscles of course, but they'll have a harder time of it than males.

This is actually true; testosterone encourages muscle growth and women have less of it. However, compared to men who have good upper body strength, women have more strength in their hips and thighs. (All related to having babies.) Also, once again generally speaking, being smaller and probably more lithe, women could not only move faster but also be a smaller target. You have to know your strengths and take advantage of them.

Although a lone schoolgirl kicking someone off a speeding bike and then defeating an entire gang is not realistic...because let's face it, it's not realistic for anybody. (*cough* Tomoyo *cough*)

I am the senpai that notices you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Attack on Titan do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 9 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 2 hours ago

6 by Zettaiken »»
14 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

36 by Maou_heika »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 38 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
36 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

107 by mo_lave »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.