Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 23, 2012 1:46 AM

Nov 2011
Znote said:
I really hope that guy who paralyzed Gon didnt die! He would be an awesome Hunter. :(

Jan 23, 2012 8:50 AM
Jun 2010
x5exotic said:
This was epic! loved the Hisoka expression
My favorite episode until the final exam :P
my only complaint is how Gon used the rod to get the badge...it was much cooler in the original >.>

Athena said:

That scene where Hisoka tries to contain his bloodlust after Leorio and Kurapika leave is absolutely one of my favourites in the original series, so I was looking forward to it. I was let down.
The level of creepiness and perversion Hisoka displays is nowhere near as intense as the original. That's just wrong. The scene in the original series was character-defining and perfect and just so...Hisoka. Instead we get more Joker!Hisoka. :S

Also, why did Hisoka sound like a monkey for a bit when he attacked the other person? I'm not too happy with the excessive Joker faces they give him, but that monkey sound was a crime. Really.

Ah well. It wasn't too bad, though. I just adore my Hisoka the way he was should be.

If any, it's the 1999 hisoka that sounded like a monkey...even more with his high pitched voice. and also it was much more creepy when he was being all..hisoka during the whole night, and the expression he made he killed agon was much scarier.
It was better in the original because that's what you watched first and liked it so much so you'd expect this episode to be exactly the same :P

Nah lol, I compared and even though Hisoka's voice is high pitched in the original, he sounds more like a monkey when he does that shriek in this version.
DoublebladeX said:
I always find myself shaking my head when I see this comparative comments. I look back at scenes from before and it's not all that much greater most of the time if greater at all. The scene where Gon snatched the tag was just as epic if not more epic this time around. I didn't watch the original back in the day but I make sure to look how things were executed the first time around and I have to say watching the 2011 version right before the original scenes, Hisoka's creepiness was still felt...by me, at least. Creepy voice, man :(.

lol then you don't really know how those of the original feel. I also hate the comparing but it's inevitable. I love both versions and like that two different atmospheres are given off in them so I can enjoy both in different ways. People are most likely feeling nostalgic with the original saying things like "It's not the same! TT_TT". Of course it's not, it's not the same studio for one.
Minmei said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
Things that you should take notice of in this episode:

If you've seen the 1999 series, you would have expected Gon to have wallowed in a fit of self-pity and fear after being dealt a blow by Hisoka. But Madhouse gets it right in this episode by including the manga's original story--Gon's reaction is entirely different with good reason. Look at how mad Gon is at the end. His expression isn't anything but anger. The narrator puts it best--what is he thinking that night? This event marks a major turning point in Gon's personality.

I really liked Gon's feelings in the original anime, because it made him feel more like a realistic child, feeling self pity and wanting to see his mom at a situation like that. But yeah, it's not like that in the manga, he's pissed of instead, and while the scene felt a bit rushed, I'm glad that MADHOUSE sticked with the manga version :).

I like both of his feelings. The anger is how some children would feel but the "wallowing in self-pity" is how a lot of children would feel too. I like that there are two different perspectives of it but I feel like the anger one was pretty epic at the end of the episode. I think I recall an episode full of him being depressed about it in the original lol.
Overlord_DK said:
hey guys, here some comment from the director of the new anime

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-6745.html

TemplateR@MangaHelper forum give some translation

"From what I could make out with the director for the anime says the real fun is yet to come or something. The problem of the how dark the series gets and making it acceptable for the time slot it's in is brought up, but the director says he wants to remain as close to the atmosphere of the original anime/manga as possible. I do see something about the atmosphere drastically changing with the introduction of the Genei Ryodan."

This is a really good news

Really really good news. Yorkshin is in my top 5 for best arcs of all time. It was pretty bad ass and awesome as well, got most of it in the mangas I've bought and I would actually prefer a darker vibe in that arc.

Great episode again. Hisoka seemed more psycho because of the face he had and the monkey shriek but I still enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see Killua next episode!

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Jan 23, 2012 2:05 PM

Dec 2009
Overlord_DK said:

"From what I could make out with the director for the anime says the real fun is yet to come or something. The problem of the how dark the series gets and making it acceptable for the time slot it's in is brought up, but the director says he wants to remain as close to the atmosphere of the original anime/manga as possible. I do see something about the atmosphere drastically changing with the introduction of the Genei Ryodan."

The "atmosphere drastically changing" will be for good? If yes, then YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! <3 Can't wait to see sexy Ryodan together with Feitan in good quality, ohi'mdying. <3
Jan 23, 2012 4:19 PM

May 2008
Hisoka was amazing this episode he completely owned.... wonder what will happen next the series is great!!! can't wait for next episode
Jan 24, 2012 5:29 PM

Jul 2009
I like the new version's animation of Hisoka's bloodlust/ rapeface, but the soundtrack really takes away from the scary atmosphere and creep factor....so, new version visuals with old school bgm?
Jan 25, 2012 5:17 AM

Jul 2009
Hisoka was awfully creepy in this; creepy and boarderline gross, I also liked the awkward time elapse - great portrayal.
He shows that a villian can bee genuienly sinister without being angry or even saying a word.

Overlord_DK said:

This is a really good news

Good insert of info. ;)
Around a week ago I informed another member that this series does get a bit mature (manga reader here).
I feel production have done the right thing by actually being blunt and stating that they are facing a challenge down to it's content - I'm very interested as to how they will cover what's to come, considering this series in on at 11am on a Sunday morning over in Japan.

Jan 25, 2012 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
Honestly Im not liking this remake one bit, I know its too early to be saying that but there's so many important scenes from the Hunter exam that hey have butchered so far that i can't see this getting any better.

I watched the original show a long time ago and re-watched the whole thing before the new series started and this scene in the original was so much better. Hisoka was way creepier in the original, and the direction of the episode was much better in the old series. Another thing i liked about the original and i know this wasn't in the manga, but the whole scene where Gon was just lying there in his own urine and puke after being paralyzed by the dart and punched by Hisoka. I always remember that scene because it made him look very vulnerable.

The amount of censorship in this anime compared to the original is also a problem in my opinion. Normally i could care less but with this show the scenes with blood and gore are important because they not only set the mood and make the point that its gotten "serious" but also give you an ire look at just how far the characters are willing to go. Its that aspect which helps detach Hunter x Hunter from the typical Shonen tropes. Obviously the gore isn't the only thing that makes the show great but i think its pretty important. I do think madhouse has done a good job with the "mind games" in the show, especially the episodes with the convicts in the tower.

One thing i think is pretty good about the show is Hisokas new theme; i liked the way they used the theme in episode 16. The rest of the soundtrack in my opinion isn't as memorable as the original especially the Opening and Ending( i think its one of the worst ending songs i have ever heard, and it doesn't capture the feel of the manga at all).

I was really disappointed with this episode 1/5. So far id give the series a 6/10 and when compared to the original. As a stand alone series, id say its pretty good much better than Toriko, Fairy Tail and the Naruto anime when compared to those.

Sorry for the rant, its just that this episode pissed me off.
FullmetalRaikouJan 25, 2012 4:52 PM
Jan 26, 2012 2:10 PM

Mar 2007
Really loving this show so far. It's nice to be watching shounen again.
Jan 27, 2012 8:14 PM

Feb 2009
... and that's why I love Hisoka.
Jan 28, 2012 10:35 AM

Jun 2011
I love Hisoka more and more. He's such an amazing character. <3
Pretty good episode!!!
Jan 29, 2012 4:57 AM

Nov 2009
This episode was awesome , especially when gon get hisokas tag *-*
Jan 29, 2012 1:24 PM

Nov 2009

After 5:50. I still sh*t myself watching that part. The original is better in that aspect.
I was never a person who talks about whether the original or the remake of something is the better one, but here... the original wins.
Jan 30, 2012 3:50 PM

Mar 2009
^ You're right. I never realized how much of a stark contrast it was when you use night instead of day. I think that's a huge aspect that HxH 2011's been missing: atmospheric lighting. I wish they had dynamic angles too, but oh well.
Jan 31, 2012 12:22 AM

Oct 2011
Keilis said:
^ You're right. I never realized how much of a stark contrast it was when you use night instead of day. I think that's a huge aspect that HxH 2011's been missing: atmospheric lighting. I wish they had dynamic angles too, but oh well.

The scene took place during the day in the manga too, actually. This series is doing a really good job of following the original manga's direction.
Jan 31, 2012 8:04 AM

May 2010
Toto_y_Moi said:

The scene took place during the day in the manga too, actually. This series is doing a really good job of following the original manga's direction.

They sure do. But if an anime is only all about following the manga then it's no better than just reading the source. The old anime modified some details to add tension to the scene while all you could reply back is Madhouse treating the manga as a plain storyboard.
Jan 31, 2012 9:17 AM

Oct 2011
stormgoddess said:
Toto_y_Moi said:

They sure do. But if an anime is only all about following the manga then it's no better than just reading the source. The old anime modified some details to add tension to the scene while all you could reply back is Madhouse treating the manga as a plain storyboard.

It's not just following the manga. They did add the killua tricking hanzo scene.
It may sound weird but it made Killua AND Hanzo look smarter
Getting tricked is better than making such a stupid mistake after tracking them for days

Also the problem with doing it at night means they remove the whole part where Hisoka just stands there for hours in a creepy way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2012 9:38 AM

May 2010
x5exotic said:
stormgoddess said:
Toto_y_Moi said:

It's not just following the manga. They did add the killua tricking hanzo scene.
Getting tricked is better than making such a stupid mistake after tracking them for days

Also the problem with doing it at night means they remove the whole part where Hisoka just stands there for hours in a creepy way.

I understand Killua looking smart for that but what's the point of making Hanzo look smart now when since the beginning of this series he's on the same level as Leorio when it comes to thinking level. Sure he's a ninja but he isn't smart. Getting tricked by that human-face monkey is one proof. Revealing to Tompa that he's a ninja is another one. Also, him blabbering about the whole sushi process to Menchi (that this version neglected). He made such a stupid mistake because he really is stupid.

And I don't get the problem of removing a part where Hisoka just stands there for the entire night. I mean really, it's not like we were given 20 pages of Hisoka frozen on the spot in the manga.
Jan 31, 2012 9:50 AM

Oct 2011
stormgoddess said:
x5exotic said:
stormgoddess said:
Toto_y_Moi said:

I understand Killua looking smart for that but what's the point of making Hanzo look smart now when since the beginning of this series he's on the same level as Leorio when it comes to thinking level. Sure he's a ninja but he isn't smart. Getting tricked by that human-face monkey is one proof. Revealing to Tompa that he's a ninja is another one. Also, him blabbering about the whole sushi process to Menchi (that this version neglected). He made such a stupid mistake because he really is stupid.

And I don't get the problem of removing a part where Hisoka just stands there for the entire night. I mean really, it's not like we were given 20 pages of Hisoka frozen on the spot in the manga.

His attire gives away his being a Ninja, so there isn't something secretive about it. He is talkative as well. Also the sushi part, he was the only one who knew that, and again he is talkative, that's why he said everything when he was mad.

Now on Zevil Island, he's been following them for days, watching them, so I'm pretty sure he would just NOTICE which card is which, especially that Killua said it out loud. Missing it just like that is really really stupid and the fault would fall on Togashi, not the character this time.

Also neither was the episodes 20 hours of Hisoka standing there. But it was shown that he was just standing there in his creepy mode for hours while Gon was getting freaked out by his Ren. Also Agon, Hisoka's victim, doesn't seen like the type of guy who would attack at night. Holding a sword and actually facing Hisoka head-on is proof that he isn't the sneaky type like other applicants. So he'd be in a hideout at night.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2012 10:39 AM

May 2010
x5exotic said:

His attire gives away his being a Ninja, so there isn't something secretive about it. He is talkative as well. Also the sushi part, he was the only one who knew that, and again he is talkative, that's why he said everything when he was mad.

I'm not really sure if you're getting my point.

1. There's nothing secretive about him being a ninja, yet he talked to Tompa about it like it was some top secret info about him.

2. The hunter exam isn't set in Japan, so there's no way to verify if everyone knows what a ninja would look like. But the sushi exam is one proof that most of them know nothing about his country.

Either way, it's stupid to reveal information about you to strangers. He's talkative but you can't say there's no way for him to control his mouth; he's a ninja after all. That makes him stupid.

My bottom line, it's pointless to make Hanzo look smart at this point of the anime after making him look stupid in the past episodes.

x5exotic said:

Now on Zevil Island, he's been following them for days, watching them, so I'm pretty sure he would just NOTICE which card is which, especially that Killua said it out loud. Missing it just like that is really really stupid and the fault would fall on Togashi, not the character this time.

Killua was holding both cards on one hand and unless Hanzo is a psychic there's no way for him to determine which ones to be thrown away first. Killua did mention the cards but he never said which ones he'll be throwing away first. Hanzo was just stupid enough to assume that the cards will be thrown away in ascending order. Hanzo knowing who owns which card has nothing to do with how Killua will throw away the cards.

x5exotic said:

Also neither was the episodes 20 hours of Hisoka standing there. But it was shown that he was just standing there in his creepy mode for hours while Gon was getting freaked out by his Ren. Also Agon, Hisoka's victim, doesn't seen like the type of guy who would attack at night. Holding a sword and actually facing Hisoka head-on is proof that he isn't the sneaky type like other applicants. So he'd be in a hideout at night.

What's your point? It wasn't as long as the entire night but the old anime did show Hisoka standing there in his creepy mode while Gon was shaking. And what's your proof about Agon? And who cares about that guy anyway?
Jan 31, 2012 12:36 PM

Oct 2011
stormgoddess said:
x5exotic said:

I'm not really sure if you're getting my point.

1. There's nothing secretive about him being a ninja, yet he talked to Tompa about it like it was some top secret info about him.

2. The hunter exam isn't set in Japan, so there's no way to verify if everyone knows what a ninja would look like. But the sushi exam is one proof that most of them know nothing about his country.

Either way, it's stupid to reveal information about you to strangers. He's talkative but you can't say there's no way for him to control his mouth; he's a ninja after all. That makes him stupid.

My bottom line, it's pointless to make Hanzo look smart at this point of the anime after making him look stupid in the past episodes.

x5exotic said:

Killua was holding both cards on one hand and unless Hanzo is a psychic there's no way for him to determine which ones to be thrown away first. Killua did mention the cards but he never said which ones he'll be throwing away first. Hanzo was just stupid enough to assume that the cards will be thrown away in ascending order. Hanzo knowing who owns which card has nothing to do with how Killua will throw away the cards.

x5exotic said:

What's your point? It wasn't as long as the entire night but the old anime did show Hisoka standing there in his creepy mode while Gon was shaking. And what's your proof about Agon? And who cares about that guy anyway?

1. Even non-japanese people would know what a ninja is (of course the ninjas aren't as the ones in fiction but...they're pretty famous...and I still don't know what sushi is except for being rice+fish). Him telling Tonpa to keep it was for the lulz, he just likes to talk and talk which gives away stuff about him. Doesn't really make him "stupid". Hisoka gives info about himself( Gotoh was the latest example), but really does it make a difference? They're strong and they don't care.

You're paying too much details to the "funny" stuff and consider them what make people smart/stupid... I mean Gon does these things too but he's not really "stupid", he's just naive in this case.

2. Hanzo was tracking them---> he knows who has which badge.
All he has to do is observe which card killua took first ) It's really simple.

3. Still it doesn't indicate that he was there for a relatively long period of time. It felt like minutes, the look itself was creepy, but being brief just...felt like it's too rushed.
We don't have to care about characters for them to make sense. He faced hisoka when he had to, which made him a 1-on-1 person. So it makes sense he'd go searching for people in broad daylight. This is trivial and i don't even think Togashi considered it but..it fits well.
Jan 31, 2012 7:19 PM

May 2010

x5exotic said:

1. Even non-japanese people would know what a ninja is (of course the ninjas aren't as the ones in fiction but...they're pretty famous...and I still don't know what sushi is except for being rice+fish). Him telling Tonpa to keep it was for the lulz, he just likes to talk and talk which gives away stuff about him. Doesn't really make him "stupid". Hisoka gives info about himself( Gotoh was the latest example), but really does it make a difference? They're strong and they don't care.

That's why I cited 2 arguments. And ninjas are careful, being talkative and telling infos to strangers is a careless thing to do. That's what makes him stupid.

x5exotic said:

You're paying too much details to the "funny" stuff and consider them what make people smart/stupid... I mean Gon does these things too but he's not really "stupid", he's just naive in this case.

Dude it was a character introduction. They introduced Hanzo's character as being talkative. Even if it was funny I am taking it seriously because it presents details. If that's how it works for all the funny scenes then should we ignore the part where Leorio verified Lelute's gender as well? Or that part where that fat examiner ate a lot of pigs? What about Hanzo getting the wrong card? Isn't that for the lulz also? -_-

Just because a scene is funny doesn't mean it should be ignored. If that's the case then we should be ignoring half of what happened in this series. And ignoring scenes just because they're funny makes you look like you're not paying that much attention.

x5exotic said:

Did you even read my post? Let's put your logic in a different scenario. What if Killua took the cards 101-110, taking the 101 first and 108 second. Can you say Hanzo is sure that Killua will throw the 101 first and the card 108 next? Hanzo knows which card Killua took first. But that doesn't mean Killua will throw away the cards in the same order.

I don't dislike that part where he got tricked by Killua in this version. I just disagree that being tricked makes him smart. It doesn't make that much difference. He was stupid for assuming that the first card Killua took was the first one he'll throw away first.

x5exotic said:

3. Still it doesn't indicate that he was there for a relatively long period of time. It felt like minutes, the look itself was creepy, but being brief just...felt like it's too rushed.
We don't have to care about characters for them to make sense. He faced hisoka when he had to, which made him a 1-on-1 person. So it makes sense he'd go searching for people in broad daylight. This is trivial and i don't even think Togashi considered it but..it fits well.

Really what's the problem about not indicating that he stood there in a creepy way for a long time? It didn't feel rushed to me and sacrificing that small detail to give the scene extra dark atmosphere by doing it at night is a good decision. And how are you so sure about those details about Hisoka's victim. If you're aiming to be a hunter and you met Hisoka and you knew that he's going to attack what are you gonna do? Run like a coward?

And who says he was searcing for people at night. It might even be just him looking for a better place to stay. Or what if his method is looking for prey 24 hours a day? Your argument doesn't really make Keilis' point invalid.
Feb 1, 2012 5:24 AM

Apr 2007
i also don't like the part that hanzo got tricked by killua.

but didn''t this happen in episode 17?
Feb 1, 2012 6:17 PM

Oct 2007
Great good gods, that's why I love this series.

The episode was built up correctly and had insane tension. I've read the manga and seen the original series and that was an amazing portrayal of that particular set of events. I was on the edge of my seat and tense and everything.

Absolutely brilliant.
Feb 3, 2012 3:04 AM
May 2007

This was a jizz in my pants moment...
Feb 4, 2012 3:30 PM

Oct 2011
stormgoddess said:

x5exotic said:

That's why I cited 2 arguments. And ninjas are careful, being talkative and telling infos to strangers is a careless thing to do. That's what makes him stupid.

x5exotic said:

Dude it was a character introduction. They introduced Hanzo's character as being talkative. Even if it was funny I am taking it seriously because it presents details. If that's how it works for all the funny scenes then should we ignore the part where Leorio verified Lelute's gender as well? Or that part where that fat examiner ate a lot of pigs? What about Hanzo getting the wrong card? Isn't that for the lulz also? -_-

Just because a scene is funny doesn't mean it should be ignored. If that's the case then we should be ignoring half of what happened in this series. And ignoring scenes just because they're funny makes you look like you're not paying that much attention.

x5exotic said:

Did you even read my post? Let's put your logic in a different scenario. What if Killua took the cards 101-110, taking the 101 first and 108 second. Can you say Hanzo is sure that Killua will throw the 101 first and the card 108 next? Hanzo knows which card Killua took first. But that doesn't mean Killua will throw away the cards in the same order.

I don't dislike that part where he got tricked by Killua in this version. I just disagree that being tricked makes him smart. It doesn't make that much difference. He was stupid for assuming that the first card Killua took was the first one he'll throw away first.

x5exotic said:

Really what's the problem about not indicating that he stood there in a creepy way for a long time? It didn't feel rushed to me and sacrificing that small detail to give the scene extra dark atmosphere by doing it at night is a good decision. And how are you so sure about those details about Hisoka's victim. If you're aiming to be a hunter and you met Hisoka and you knew that he's going to attack what are you gonna do? Run like a coward?

And who says he was searcing for people at night. It might even be just him looking for a better place to stay. Or what if his method is looking for prey 24 hours a day? Your argument doesn't really make Keilis' point invalid.

1) Once again, that's his character. Ninja SHOULD be careful about information. But he's just this one character that likes to talk alot. Also how is telling some fodder character information stupid? Hisoka vs Gotoh, Hisoka vs KASTRO...ring any bells? It won't matter. They can't do crap.

2) There is a game where you have 3 cups upside down and you hide an object under one cup. Then you must know which cup contains the object after someone starts moving them...Hanzo can simply keep track of which card Kil took first...in which hand he put it, How did he put it And which one he threw first. It's just that right at the moment killua threw the badges he swiftly switched them.

Example: Killua at first took card 198, put it in his right hand, then left hand(to use the right hand claws on Amori, now he took Card 197 Hanzo now keeps an eye on it, and sees that he also held it in his left hand to catch card 199 that was thrown by the fat brother Umori was it? He even held them up where they were easy to see.
In the manga he even put card 197 in his mouth. So he must've known which one is which. I am not a Ninja for god's sake and I find this kind of thing a piece of cake (save for my shitty attention span <.<) Hanzo could've definitely realized easily O.O

3) I'm not saying funny moments are non-canon... I'm saying they aren't completely faithful to the character itself...Illumi, Nobunaga, Phinx, Feitan, Shalnark, Uvo all had funny moments where they were all goofy and did make them sound stupid but it didn't make them STUPID as in...really stupid >.<

4) Actually it kinda did. And the scene being at night didn't really add to the atmosphere at all. Music did and for me personally the 1999 moon being shown as a crescent was cooler than a full moon especially when it looked like Hisoka's horns or something.
Now as for making Hisoka creepy ALL day: It just added something more than night mode with a werewolf-life hisoka who quickly got out of his creepiness. Also details like the black around his eyes, his facial expressions were all better.

Run like a coward? You really think that's the only option for a hunter beside face-to-face fights? How about being sneaky? I mean maybe Sniper or gretta would at least TRY to hide and attack him from a distance?

Sure he could've been just looking for a place to stay or anything else but still...
Feb 5, 2012 6:29 AM

May 2010
another spoiler because post is friggin long

x5exotic said:

1) Once again, that's his character. Ninja SHOULD be careful about information. But he's just this one character that likes to talk alot. Also how is telling some fodder character information stupid? Hisoka vs Gotoh, Hisoka vs KASTRO...ring any bells? It won't matter. They can't do crap.

It is his character and not being able to control his blabbering makes him stupid. If a ninja is that good in spilling random details how can you be so sure that he's careful about information? If you don't find that stupid then it's your opinion but for me he is. And Hisoka, Gotoh, and Kastro are on a different level. Hisoka can spill any information he wants and he wouldn't lose anything. If Hanzo thinks he's as good as any of those three in his current level and uncontrollably blabbers about himself then that is also stupid thinking. Besides, the two died in Hisoka's hands.

x5exotic said:

2) There is a game where you have 3 cups upside down and you hide an object under one cup. Then you must know which cup contains the object after someone starts moving them...Hanzo can simply keep track of which card Kil took first...in which hand he put it, How did he put it And which one he threw first. It's just that right at the moment killua threw the badges he swiftly switched them.

Example: Killua at first took card 198, put it in his right hand, then left hand(to use the right hand claws on Amori, now he took Card 197 Hanzo now keeps an eye on it, and sees that he also held it in his left hand to catch card 199 that was thrown by the fat brother Umori was it? He even held them up where they were easy to see.
In the manga he even put card 197 in his mouth. So he must've known which one is which. I am not a Ninja for god's sake and I find this kind of thing a piece of cake (save for my shitty attention span <.<) Hanzo could've definitely realized easily O.O

Sadly both tags ended up in the same hand. Applying your cup game, there are only two cups which are Killua's hands and there are two objects and those are the tags. No matter how many times Killua moved the tags in his hands both still ended in one hand. Hanzo would be able to figure which tag ended in his hand first, but he wouldn't figure out which tag will be on top of the other due to Killua's tricky methods.

Your example game is quite messed up.

And I don't even know why you're trying to insert manga details here that weren't really adapted well by both series.

And BlackListHunter is right about us discussing this in the wrong thread. lol.

x5exotic said:

3) I'm not saying funny moments are non-canon... I'm saying they aren't completely faithful to the character itself...Illumi, Nobunaga, Phinx, Feitan, Shalnark, Uvo all had funny moments where they were all goofy and did make them sound stupid but it didn't make them STUPID as in...really stupid >.<

Illumi, Nobu, Phinx etc etc were goofy because the animators chose to show a funny but content-less scene. Hanzo's positive/stupid traits were demonstrated in a funny way. There's a difference between the two scenes but the former isn't supposed to be taken seriously because it's goofy and nothing more, yet the latter gives you clues on who Hanzo is despite it being funny.

x5exotic said:

4) Actually it kinda did. And the scene being at night didn't really add to the atmosphere at all. Music did and for me personally the 1999 moon being shown as a crescent was cooler than a full moon especially when it looked like Hisoka's horns or something.
Now as for making Hisoka creepy ALL day: It just added something more than night mode with a werewolf-life hisoka who quickly got out of his creepiness. Also details like the black around his eyes, his facial expressions were all better.

Maybe it wasn't for you, but for some people here, night atmosphere combined with a better bgm was a lot more effective than eye-blinding brightness and silly music. I agree about Hisoka here being creepier and thanks to that the badly directed scene worked.

x5exotic said:

Run like a coward? You really think that's the only option for a hunter beside face-to-face fights? How about being sneaky? I mean maybe Sniper or gretta would at least TRY to hide and attack him from a distance?

Sure he could've been just looking for a place to stay or anything else but still...

Running or being sneaky are both useless when you're spotted by Hisoka who is in his bloodthirsty mode. So facing him one-on-one is a brave and hunter-like choice, or more like it's the only option. So you can't just draw a conclusion that he's supposed to look for targets on daylight from that small scene.
Feb 6, 2012 7:23 AM

Oct 2011

1) The gap between Hisoka and these two is pretty much the same as Hanzo x Tonpa, and he didn't really reveal exactly how he does things. He just said I'm a ninja, and my goal is blah blah.

2) That's what I'm saying... at first he IS able to know the tags' order but it all goes down to Killua's way of thinking or whether he sensed Hanzo's existence or not. And as shown: Hanzo knew 198 was held first then 197 was on top of it so it would be thrown first. But then all the stuff we saw happened. Still pretty easy even for any simple-minded non-ninja(Pre-Killua-Mindf** that is).

3) And the goofy scenes including Hanzo: Monkey scene which i'm sure 80%+ of applicants thought the ape was the real one. Hisoka just attacked both and made sure. It doesn't really show stupidity, even most people who didn't fall for it, simply did not come to a conclusion and were more careful. They didn't think "oh i'm sure he's fake"
Hanzo is careless and sloppy at times, but not stupid. Even without the card-switching, he is just shown to be too hasty and prpobably sociable.

4) The BGM in that particular scene was well-done, as good as the 1999's. The scene itself was directed perfectly... Much better than a cut-out Hisoka that didn't even look that he was running...just the background picture being moved backwards. Bad direction is when the whole point of the scene is 1) making hisoka creepy 2) getting the badge
and they sacrificed the first just for the sake of making the second look...different and maybe half of the people will like it for change and the other won't for not being faithful to the manga.

5) NOTHING is useful against Hisoka. But for hunters like Gretta....they will try to do whatever they do as hunters. What makes HxH special is that not all hunters are the brave warriors that face death like that, everyone has his own unique way. Being sneaky is some hunters' "hunter-like choice"
Agon, however, is like that. I can't even imagine Gretta or sniper for example attacking Hisoka head on...(Go Chibi mode and hit him with a blow-gun?) o.o
And I didn't draw conclusion as I stated in the last line..
Apr 20, 2012 2:41 PM

Jan 2012
Hisoka Jizzed.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Apr 27, 2012 9:50 AM

Apr 2012
Mhmm, actually quite good... nowhere near as scary as the original, but I WAS actually creeped out for the first time in the remake. I can say they did it well. Probably part of the reason it wasn't as scary was because I've been here before.

Hisoka does lots of pedo faces. Yey yey.

Could've been better, but I'm gonna stop expecting much in terms of gore and creepiness XD. Stupid timeslot.
May 16, 2012 9:01 AM

Jul 2009
This is where Hisoka shows his true colours as a perfect antagonist. Creeps the hell out of me :P
Jul 12, 2012 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
Gon was pretty bad ass at the end there, I think it fit him to be pissed off at the end there because up to now he hasn't been portrayed as your normal teenage boy...he's something special and this highlighted that. Madhouse did a real good job of highlighting Hisoka's blood lust in this episode, what a delightfully disturbed character he is.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 5, 2012 1:03 AM

Mar 2009
haha holy shit what a fantastic episode.
Aug 6, 2012 9:45 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode, Hisoka is turning out to be an amazing antagonist. He's a freak, but definitely a likeable one.
Aug 8, 2012 5:44 PM
Mar 2012
love how hisoka change his face expressions and the punch was epic
i dont know why but i like when hisoka punch gon
Sep 4, 2012 6:27 PM

Mar 2007
Hisoka is so awesome. <3 Loved when he gave Gon his badge back and then punched him.
Sep 4, 2012 6:33 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, seemed like most people love it! I'll give it a watch when I go sleep and vote in the morning.
Dec 6, 2012 6:59 AM

Jun 2012
so hisoka got gons tag from the guy along with his own tag and then gave them to gon, meaning that hisoka has his targets and another 2, so hisoka still needs a point?
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 6, 2012 7:19 AM

Mar 2012
jimbob1141 said:
so hisoka got gons tag from the guy along with his own tag and then gave them to gon, meaning that hisoka has his targets and another 2, so hisoka still needs a point?

Illumi gave him a card

Kurapika gave him a card

He took a card from the sword guy he killed

He killed Gereta (3 points)
End Zionazism
Dec 6, 2012 7:23 AM

Jun 2012
Mikasa said:
jimbob1141 said:

Illumi gave him a card

Kurapika gave him a card

He took a card from the sword guy he killed

He killed Gereta (3 points)

ah i forgot about illumi. thanks :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Feb 23, 2013 9:54 AM

Jan 2012
sad moment: gon in the tree with the beat up cheek. music makes the scene.

hisoka is a creep and great villain. hes like a mixture of opposites. amazing character design with repulsive rapefaces. moments of mentally disturbed back-hunching with moments where he mentors the main characters.

the only thing i dont like is the plot shield where the villain lets the mc get away 1000 times; you know itll bite his ass in the end. its boring to see it again because its obviously a device to ensure mc's growth in their beginning stages, while keeping the villain overpowered. hxh came early tho so i guess i should be directing this towards other series.

also. normally i like reading other peoples comments which is why i post so much but i only read the last page or so of these ep discussions. you guys compare too much between editions, its boring to read and must be boring to be so preoccupied with it too.
NinahFeb 23, 2013 9:59 AM
Feb 23, 2013 10:01 AM

Mar 2012
neenalie said:
sad moment: gon in the tree with the beat up cheek. music makes the scene.

hisoka is a creep and great villain. hes like a mixture of opposites. amazing character design with repulsive rapefaces. moments of mentally disturbed back-hunching with moments where he mentors the main characters.

the only thing i dont like is the plot shield where the villain lets the mc get away 1000 times; you know itll bite his ass in the end. its boring to see it again because its obviously a device to ensure mc's growth in their beginning stages, while keeping the villain overpowered. hxh came early tho so i guess i should be directing this towards other series.

also. normally i like reading other peoples comments which is why i post so much but i only read the last page or so of these ep discussions. you guys compare too much between editions, its boring to read and must be boring to be so preoccupied with it too.

The reason it's done here is because Hisoka WANTS him to bite his ass (literally or not is up to anyone's interpretation). He likes fighting people for the thrill and not out of necessity most of the time. (episode 5 f'ed this up and made it look he was defending himself when he clearly wasn't. He even stabbed Leorio in the arm with a card, in the manga)

Gon's face was funny tbh.
End Zionazism
Feb 23, 2013 11:50 AM

Jan 2012
i understand hisoka's reasoning, i just dont like it cause its become a villain trope. the "im going to help you to crush you" syndrome. it plot shields the mc from getting killed too early at the expense of making the villain into just another joker.
Feb 23, 2013 5:41 PM

Jul 2012
neenalie said:
i understand hisoka's reasoning, i just dont like it cause its become a villain trope. the "im going to help you to crush you" syndrome. it plot shields the mc from getting killed too early at the expense of making the villain into just another joker.

Hahhahaa ooooh nooo, trust togashi on this one. Hisoka is really not a joke, he is a complete psycho xD (and a charismatic one, too)
Mar 8, 2013 5:49 AM

Oct 2011
Oh man ... Saying that Hisoka is a badass would be an understatement o.o
Jun 7, 2013 8:18 PM

Nov 2011
Dat Falcon Punch! Hisoka is creepy and awesome same time tbh. I hope he gets to fight against Goh in the future again..like when he becomes someone worth killing.
Jul 22, 2013 9:54 PM
Jul 2012
This maybe my favorite episode of this series so far.
Oh man, Gon attempting to steal Hisoka's tag is just like Indiana Jones for some reason. Gon did a pretty good job on doing the job done. Gon vs Hisoka will be fantastic that's for sure I swear Gon is a better character than Naruto.
5/5
Jul 29, 2013 4:47 AM

Dec 2012
I can't stop hearing a cynical, bad ass Kazehaya whenever Hisoka talks (Kimi ni Todoke reference). That blood lust scene really showed how fearsome he can be, and it was a shock when he threw the hunter's corpse down in front of the helpless Gon.
Jul 29, 2013 11:49 AM

Jul 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
I can't stop hearing a cynical, bad ass Kazehaya whenever Hisoka talks (Kimi ni Todoke reference). That blood lust scene really showed how fearsome he can be, and it was a shock when he threw the hunter's corpse down in front of the helpless Gon.

In the manga, Hisoka brought back the guy's head instead.
Jul 29, 2013 12:38 PM

May 2013
GalekC said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

In the manga, Hisoka brought back the guy's head instead.
Yeeep. http://www.mangaeden.com/it-manga/hunter-x-hunter/28/14/ that was creepy...
Dec 31, 2013 6:09 AM

Jul 2013
Hisoka is one weird MOFO... but still he was kind enough to let people with potential grow and become strong.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014

animeboilolz - Yesterday

41 by animeboilolz »»
1 hour ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
Apr 19, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.