Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 17, 2012 2:20 PM

Jan 2012
Hey everyone. I want to start making AMV's, but I have no idea where to start. I have video editing software and everything, but what is an AMV supposed to be like? If anyone has any references or tutorials, that would be swell! Much appreciated ^-^
Jan 17, 2012 2:29 PM
Jul 2018
Watch the good ones, you'll get the idea from those:

Look up these (should all be on Youtube)

"Spoil" (Death Note)
"Revenge" (Cowboy Bebop)
"Drawn Dream" (Natsume/Book of Friends)
"The Running Man" (Zetsubou Sensei)
"Twilight" (Kanon 2006)
"Momentum" (5cm Per Second)

Tips:
- Don't just pick a song you like. Pick one that actually fits the anime you are using.
- Time the song with the video. (Both cutting scenes to the beat and pacing the video to the songs tempo)
- Find raw video files or crop the subtitles out. If an AMV has subtitles I immediately stop watching.
- Don't feel the need to throw in visual effects all the time. Most of the best AMV's are made by people who have done it for a long time, so they've had practice at making those effects look good.
- Don't expect for first attempts to turn out so good, just keep practicing.
removed-userJan 17, 2012 2:34 PM
Jan 19, 2012 2:46 PM
Dec 2011
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/kalium/index.html

There's a guide, but it's rather long, so I'll summarize. It depends on what sort of AMV you want to edit (raw, emotional, candy, etc). But for most AMVs, I think that timing the scenes to the music is pretty important. Also, you have to be really critical of scene choice (Are they fitting to the lyrics? Do they match the mood of the song?). It's important to have smooth transitions before and after each clip (fade works extremely well). Effects come later, you don't need too many effects; you want to focus on making them fit with the rest of the AMV.
Jan 19, 2012 5:59 PM

Jan 2010
Kamixchanx said:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/kalium/index.html

There's a guide, but it's rather long, so I'll summarize. It depends on what sort of AMV you want to edit (raw, emotional, candy, etc). But for most AMVs, I think that timing the scenes to the music is pretty important. Also, you have to be really critical of scene choice (Are they fitting to the lyrics? Do they match the mood of the song?). It's important to have smooth transitions before and after each clip (fade works extremely well). Effects come later, you don't need too many effects; you want to focus on making them fit with the rest of the AMV.

AMV .org has a lot of good stuff like the above poster said. I recommend going there.
Jan 20, 2012 3:43 PM

Sep 2011
Well, you need a video editing system...

I'd start with looking up on youtube on how to get a full version of Sony Vegas Pro 9. Yes, this is outdated, but in my opinion it's better than the recent versions. Once, you do that, get used to it. When you're used to it, maybe try an upgrade to Adobe After Effects.

Oh, and listen to the other posters advice, too.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Jan 24, 2012 2:19 PM

Jan 2011
right choice of song, epic visuals, creative mind and originality. remember those 4 and you'll be just fine. search for tutorials for effects and audio/video transitions for better results.

watching other AMV's can help you a lot but don't just copy everything you watch. try to apply your own touches.

More topics from this board

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - 5 hours ago

4 by Kinspie13 »»
3 hours ago

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
4 hours ago

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
9 hours ago

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

19 by loligoth666 »»
Yesterday, 9:23 AM

» Show us your latest sketch or drawing v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Feb 21, 2017

1629 by loligoth666 »»
Yesterday, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.