Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2012 6:08 PM

Jan 2012
So i've seen all the leaked stuff that came out today so my excitement for this show is at its peak right now. I just wanted to ask what you guys think so far. Personally i feel like it has the potential to be even better than the first. But i know some people think going on after the show ended is wrong in so many ways, and to those people i say why? Another great show from the brilliant minds of the first with a story relating to parts of the first. Whats not to like? So id just like some input on your guys thoughts. Have at it
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2012 7:26 PM

May 2010
totally not anime

it is totally awesome though

Toph was great; can't wait to check out Korra
Jan 15, 2012 8:32 PM
Jan 2012
I've always considered it an anime.
But I am SO excited for it! I am refusing to watch any of the leaks. :|
Jan 15, 2012 8:35 PM

Jan 2012
Well is it Japanese no but it is animation with people who got a lot of inspired from anime. Then cant it be anime?
Jan 15, 2012 8:36 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah but that's like calling Pokemon or DBZ an anime...
Jan 15, 2012 8:36 PM

Jun 2011
FilthyDoughBoy said:

But they are anime.
Jan 15, 2012 8:43 PM

Feb 2009
Three words.

Cannot. Freaking. Wait.

I love the Avatar series and I'm hoping this series will be as good as the original.
Jan 15, 2012 9:07 PM

Dec 2011
IllegalCyrus said:
FilthyDoughBoy said:

But they are anime.

Lmao yea Pokemon and Dbz are definitely anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2012 9:40 PM

Nov 2011
Kipcha said:
Three words.

Cannot. Freaking. Wait.

I love the Avatar series and I'm hoping this series will be as good as the original.

i agree! ^-^

OP: where did you find the leaks?
Jan 16, 2012 12:03 AM
Jan 2012
BoldBrad said:
Well is it Japanese no but it is animation with people who got a lot of inspired from anime. Then cant it be anime?

Yes, some define anime as having a "Japanese style" and some define it as being from Japan. I guess the letter of the law at MyAnimeList is that "anime" here only includes animation from Japan, and that's why there is such a strong response in this forum. But I agree with you that it can be called anime by the first definition.

Anyway, yes, I'm really looking forward to it. I thought they nailed it on the first series.
Jan 16, 2012 12:09 AM

Sep 2010
verdstein said:
BoldBrad said:

Yes, some define anime as having a "Japanese style" and some define it as being from Japan. I guess the letter of the law at MyAnimeList is that "anime" here only includes animation from Japan, and that's why there is such a strong response in this forum. But I agree with you that it can be called anime by the first definition.

Anyway, yes, I'm really looking forward to it. I thought they nailed it on the first series.

Having "Japanese style" is not a defining part of being anime.

Jan 16, 2012 1:12 AM
Jan 2012
>Having "Japanese style" is not a defining part of being anime.

Some would disagree.

an·i·me
  [an-uh-mey]
noun
a Japanese style of motion-picture animation
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime

Definition of ANIME
a style of animation originating in Japan
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anime

an·i·me (n-m)
n.
A style of animation developed in Japan
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anime
Jan 16, 2012 2:02 AM

Aug 2010
I can't wait to see it! , to bad it will air (if the information is right) in autumn in my country. That is just too long ...
Jan 16, 2012 2:20 AM
Jun 2011
thanks for the heads up. loved the fire training video :)
Jan 16, 2012 7:26 AM

Sep 2010
verdstein said:
>Having "Japanese style" is not a defining part of being anime.

Some would disagree.

an·i·me
  [an-uh-mey]
noun

Definition of ANIME

an·i·me (n-m)
n.

And Avatar doesn't even meet the criteria of the definitions you posted.

Plus "Japanese style" isn't saying there's some magical set of ingredients that make a show anime but rather that Japanese style is created by Japanese folks.

Jan 16, 2012 8:21 AM

Jun 2007
This is general discussion. That means topics do not have to be about anime. gg.

But yeah, I will probably watch it if they put it on netflix. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit.
LeondreJan 16, 2012 8:35 AM
Jan 16, 2012 10:00 AM
Jan 2012
Anime_Name said:

And Avatar doesn't even meet the criteria of the definitions you posted.

That's a reasonable interpretation. Of course, there are plenty of people (some in this thread) who do think that Avatar meets those criteria, so it is open to debate.

Anime_Name said:

Plus "Japanese style" isn't saying there's some magical set of ingredients that make a show anime but rather that Japanese style is created by Japanese folks.

These are dictionary definitions, made to be precise. If these three sources meant to define anime as being made in Japan, they would simply have called it "Japanese animation" or "animation made in Japan." Instead, "style" is the foremost defining factor in all three of those definitions. That's not to say that the definition at MAL is wrong - it's just not the single possibility in the universe.

Anyway, peace. What do you think of Avatar as a source of entertainment?

(edited for grammar)
verdsteinJan 16, 2012 3:07 PM
Jan 16, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2010
verdstein said:

That's a reasonable interpretation. Of course, there are plenty of people (some in this thread) who do think that Avatar meets those criteria, so it is open to debate.

It isn't open to debate on this site. Avatar is not an anime according to this site's standards. This is the only thing that matters.
Jan 16, 2012 11:11 AM
Nov 2011
Totally can't wait. I wish that some things about were different, though.
Jan 16, 2012 1:12 PM

Jan 2010
what leaked stuff?
hate capital letters.
deal with it.
Jan 16, 2012 1:40 PM

Jan 2012
A bunch of videos showing korra and katara(now like really old) and some fighting scenes

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/01/15/video-a-new-look-at-avatar-sequel-the-last-airbender-legend-of-korra
Jan 16, 2012 1:55 PM

Mar 2008
I think the discussion about Avatar being an anime or not is pretty old..

@Topic: Not a fan of Avatar (just watched a few episodes while they were showing here in Germany) but it does look and sound interesting. I like the locations/settings and I love that the new Avatar is female. I think I'll give it a try.
Jan 16, 2012 3:57 PM

Jun 2009
Sir_Lexa said:
BoldBrad said:
Ya had no idea this was an issue. Ive always considered it an anime and well i always will. Might not meet a dictionary definition and even the site might say its not but to me it is and i guess we could argue this all day till we all dont care anymore.

There is absolutely no point arguing if Avatar is an anime or not. Because it's a common FACT that it is not.

Since when has something being fact ever stopped anyone?

...because evolution totally never happened. eyeroll.jpg

Just gotta learn to live with people like that :P

On topic though; it looks pretty good. Might be the first Nick cartoon I've watched since...avatar lol
Jan 16, 2012 4:00 PM

Jan 2012
I don't get how there's people stupid enough to think Avatar is anime or even Japanese to begin with.

Then I remember this is the internet and I underestimate people.

Anyway, I tried to watch the first first awhile back. Was pretty bad. It got cancelled in my country and didn't even finish it's run it was that bad I guess. This new series doesn't look any better.

Nickelodeon trying to make wannabe anime is always a funny thought, though. I think it's a bit flattering anime is that popular in America, don't you think?
Jan 16, 2012 4:13 PM
Jun 2011
America really needs to give up these kinds of shows, since they never work. Censorship killed the first series something fierce, to the point you can't kill people on screen in a fighting series? God, imagine if Death Note couldn't kill anyone, or Cowboy Bebop? They should stick to comedy shows like Spongebob which don't require more mature writing than they can get away with on a kid's channel.
Jan 16, 2012 4:15 PM

Jun 2009
Armiga21 said:
America really needs to give up these kinds of shows, since they never work. Censorship killed the first series something fierce, to the point you can't kill people on screen in a fighting series? God, imagine if Death Note couldn't kill anyone, or Cowboy Bebop? They should stick to comedy shows like Spongebob which don't require more mature writing than they can get away with on a kid's channel.

While censorship blows, a show can still be good without showing death or gore.
Jan 16, 2012 4:21 PM
Jun 2011
Not when it still tries to go to those places and fails miserably. What was that one episode? "I'll end your destiny myself if you hurt him" or "You're in for more than hurt if you face me"? This is the kind of stupid death avoidance people make fun of 4Kids for. Then again, at least 4Kids Luffy still got to punch and beat up people, so 4Kids gets a least some credit there.
Jan 16, 2012 4:24 PM

Aug 2007
Anime is just a shorten version for "animation". >.< I hate it when people make it a huge deal about the category when they themselves haven't studied in that area. The fans made the criteria is more likely.

But BACK TO THE TOPIC: I can't wait. It looks more serious-looking than the original series and i just hope it's promissing. It'll most likely be set up in my DVR once it comes out.
Jan 16, 2012 4:31 PM

Jan 2012
Here in Japan, everything is referred to technically as "anime", however, foreign animation is not a concern here so Japanese fans have never had a reason to differentiate between the two. When people say anime here, we think of Shin-chan, Pocket Monsters, Doraemon, One Piece, Detective Conan, and other Japanese programming. From what I've seen, the word was adopted to specifically mean Japanese animation in the western cultures since there is a need to seperate them. In this case, calling it anime would be disrespectful to both Japan and the Americas anime fanbase I feel.
DoryuzuJan 16, 2012 4:43 PM
Jan 16, 2012 5:35 PM

Jun 2009
Armiga21 said:
Not when it still tries to go to those places and fails miserably. What was that one episode? "I'll end your destiny myself if you hurt him" or "You're in for more than hurt if you face me"? This is the kind of stupid death avoidance people make fun of 4Kids for. Then again, at least 4Kids Luffy still got to punch and beat up people, so 4Kids gets a least some credit there.

But I loved the 4Kids One Piece opening :D
Jan 16, 2012 5:39 PM

Jan 2012
Doryuzu said:
I don't get how there's people stupid enough to think Avatar is anime or even Japanese to begin with.

Anyway, I tried to watch the first first awhile back. Was pretty bad. It got cancelled in my country and didn't even finish it's run it was that bad I guess. This new series doesn't look any better.

Nickelodeon trying to make wannabe anime is always a funny thought, though. I think it's a bit flattering anime is that popular in America, don't you think?

Stupid? Well thx i did forget this was the internet and another human beings opinion that differs from your own automatically makes me stupid. Sorry i underestimated this site and its potential to draw out the worst in people such as yourself. But hey i bet there is a place somewhere in this world for people like you. O wait i forgot......there isn't.

And ya you can have your opinion on avatar that's fine no big deal there but be able to explain your opinion with out jumping to name calling. Your the reason why the internet can suck......so just get over yourself. PLEASE!
Jan 16, 2012 6:23 PM

Jun 2009
BoldBrad said:
Doryuzu said:

Stupid? Well thx i did forget this was the internet and another human beings opinion that differs from your own automatically makes me stupid. Sorry i underestimated this site and its potential to draw out the worst in people such as yourself. But hey i bet there is a place somewhere in this world for people like you. O wait i forgot......there isn't.

And ya you can have your opinion on avatar that's fine no big deal there but be able to explain your opinion with out jumping to name calling. Your the reason why the internet can suck......so just get over yourself. PLEASE!

Well, people on the internet can be rude at times.

But he's not wrong, its not a matter of opinion, its a fact.
Jan 16, 2012 8:24 PM

Jan 2012
Jrittmayer said:
BoldBrad said:
Doryuzu said:

Well, people on the internet can be rude at times.

But he's not wrong, its not a matter of opinion, its a fact.

Well i can agree that maybe in definition it isnt an anime but then what do you call something so close to it. And to all those people yes dragon ball z and pokemon are animes lol
Jan 16, 2012 8:53 PM

Jan 2012
I loved Avatar!!! Although it's not considered anime, it's one of the best "kid" shows I have ever seen. The plot is so epic, and it's HILARIOUS XD They're truly was a perfect blend of seriousness and comedy. Also, the characters were awesome!
I'm excited for The Legend of Korra!!!!!!! WOOT! ^^
Jan 16, 2012 9:14 PM

Jul 2010
BoldBrad said:
Well i can agree that maybe in definition it isnt an anime but then what do you call something so close to it.

I'm not sure I follow. There's noting "so close" about it, it's nothing at all like anime to be perfectly honest.
Jan 16, 2012 10:14 PM

Jan 2012
TitanXL said:
BoldBrad said:
Well i can agree that maybe in definition it isnt an anime but then what do you call something so close to it.

I'm not sure I follow. There's noting "so close" about it, it's nothing at all like anime to be perfectly honest.

and id have to disagree lol. But as you can tell alot of people do
Jan 16, 2012 11:21 PM

Aug 2011
Doryuzu said:
Anyway, I tried to watch the first first awhile back. Was pretty bad. It got cancelled in my country and didn't even finish it's run it was that bad I guess.
So TV ratings are what determine if said show is good or not?
Welp, I guess Sazae-san is the best anime ever made.
Jan 16, 2012 11:53 PM

Sep 2010
verdstein said:

These are dictionary definitions, made to be precise. If these three sources meant to define anime as being made in Japan, they would simply have called it "Japanese animation" or "animation made in Japan." Instead, "style" is the foremost defining factor in all three of those definitions. That's not to say that the definition at MAL is wrong - it's just not the single possibility in the universe.
(edited for grammar)

Those three sources do define anime as being made in Japan. Again "Japanese style" in the context of animation is read as both meaning what the country of origin is and how said country handles animation. However definitions get ignored and misread(shifting the focus of words) in order to debate this sort of topic because calling a cartoon "anime inspired" or "anime style" simply isn't cool enough for some people. They need to quibble about wording so they can technically call a cartoon they like, anime.

Even if style is the most important factor, Avatar's style isn't anime or Japanese in any way. The most it did was tell a story from start to finish, which is an accomplishment for Western animation as most shows don't have a story or the ones that do end up getting cancelled before the story is concluded. Other than that the visuals are Chinese ripoffs and everything else is executed solidly within Western animation limitations.

You say it's close or come up with a new name.
Apple cider is just a few steps away from being apple juice but people don't call it apple just because it's close.

Jan 17, 2012 12:31 AM
Jun 2011
Tiago97 said:
So TV ratings are what determine if said show is good or not?
Welp, I guess Sazae-san is the best anime ever made.

Actually it says quite a bit when late-night adult-only 3:AM anime can air all it's episodes but a children's cartoon can not. Must have been really bad ratings. Though I guess the question is why would they bother with fake anime when they have the real stuff? Makes logical sense if you think about it.

"Anime_Name" said:
Even if style is the most important factor, Avatar's style isn't anime or Japanese in any way. The most it did was tell a story from start to finish, which is an accomplishment for Western animation as most shows don't have a story or the ones that do end up getting cancelled before the story is concluded. Other than that the visuals are Chinese ripoffs and everything else is executed solidly within Western animation limitations.

Indeed. About the only credit you can give the show is it's one of the rare American shows that managed to finish it's story before cancellation. Pretty rare, but I don't think that's reason enough to really praise it. If you have to preface any praise with "for Western animation" then it really cheapens the whole thing and you have to wonder if it's not just being praised for the sake of novelty. Saying it is like anime is pretty reaching though.. the plotting and characters were very distinctly American at their core, even if they had Asian paint slapped on them. I don't think you can have Sokka acting like a gangster and talk like he's from the modern age with slang and still claim it's following in authentic Asian culture and dialog. They didn't even pronounce the names by their proper Asian pronunciation most of the time. It still had a ways to go.
OddjokeJan 17, 2012 12:44 AM
Jan 17, 2012 3:38 AM
Jan 2012
Anime_Name said:
Those three sources do define anime as being made in Japan. Again "Japanese style" in the context of animation is read as both meaning what the country of origin is and how said country handles animation.

Mhm. I have seen this form of debate in my family.
"I only got one cookie for desert. I want another."
"You ate two. I watched you do it.
"I ate One."
"No two. See, there were five and now there are three."
"One."
"Are you kidding? Two."
"One."
"One"
"One"
"One"
"OK fine, take a cookie."

Before I start handing out the cookies, here's a reminder of the first three dictionary definitions of "anime" that came up on Google.

an·i·me
ANIME
an·i·me (n-m)

So, if "Japanese style" implies made only in Japan, then why do we have "Japanese style" buildings, clothing, music, and cuisine being made outside of Japan?

If the writers of those three dictionary definitions believed that anime is intrinsically "made in Japan" then why didn't they write those words? e.g.
CHAMPAGNE. 1. : a white sparkling wine made in the old province of Champagne, France
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/champagne

Now, back to my all-night Avatar marathon.
Jan 17, 2012 5:33 AM
May 2009
Either way, I am looking forward to it. Enjoyed Avatar. not the ending with angs fight. Zukos fight was good though.
Jan 17, 2012 6:25 AM

Jan 2012
XD This is news to me! I can't wait, I love Avatar.
Jan 17, 2012 7:34 AM

Sep 2011
Darn, I'm not gonna be silent about this. Avatar was a great show for me. Got all episodes, and just recently rewatched the entire thing. Can't wait for the new season!
Jan 17, 2012 8:42 AM

Jan 2012
deoxys_101993 said:
Darn, I'm not gonna be silent about this. Avatar was a great show for me. Got all episodes, and just recently rewatched the entire thing. Can't wait for the new season!

Ya your telling me. I made this to take about the show and turned into a debate. I think someone kinda got me thinking. I guess the reason i want it to be an anime because calling it a western kids show just sounds wrong on all levels. The show is far better than anything ive seen and beats out alot of the anime out there. So maybe thats where im comming from. But yes i do admit now that it is not an anime (Definition : Japanese made and all that). So could we please just talk about how good season two will be. only word i got for it is AWESOME!!!!!
Jan 17, 2012 8:53 AM
May 2009
Technically it would be a new series, not a new season. Since Season 3 book of fire was the last season for the Last Air bender.
Jan 17, 2012 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
BoldBrad said:
I guess the reason i want it to be an anime because calling it a western kids show just sounds wrong on all levels.

But that's what it is. It follows all the conventions and falls into all the pitfalls of every other Americna kid's action show. It's nothing unique or different compared to Danny Phantom or Teen Titans or any other kid's show out of America.

You can like it all you want, but arguing objective words and meanings for the sake of not having to like an American kid's cartoon is a bit silly. I think the fact Japan doesn't want it, the country of anime, should be the only proof you need, even if you ignore straight definitions.
Jan 17, 2012 12:11 PM
Jan 2012
Interesting article here about American cartoons in Japan. No mention of Avatar though.
http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/various-thoughts-concerning-american-cartoons-in-japan/
Jan 17, 2012 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
Western Kids Show is not neccessarily a negative thing. Batman The Animated Series is a "Western Kids Show," and that series is awesome. But on subject, this is interesting news, and makes me want to bump the original series to a higher priority on my plan to watch list.
Jan 17, 2012 2:06 PM

Sep 2010
verdstein said:
So, if "Japanese style" implies made only in Japan, then why do we have "Japanese style" buildings, clothing, music, and cuisine being made outside of Japan?

Because those things have specific ingredients, processes, and orders that when properly implemented recreate those various items. As such Japanese animation does not have a blueprint on how it is made in order for it to be recreated and aslo fully recognized as Japanese animation outside of Japan.

If the writers of those three dictionary definitions believed that anime is intrinsically "made in Japan" then why didn't they write those words? e.g.
CHAMPAGNE. 1. : a white sparkling wine made in the old province of Champagne, France
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/champagne

You do know only champagne from Champagne is called champagne(unless it's from a company that was grandfathered in before the law was made), right? Dictionaries leave out the term "made in" because the definition's are clear enough that it can be inferred and that anything close to the defintion but not quite fitting would be called names like "anime-like", "anime inspired", or "anime-ish" without unnecessarily disambiguating the definition.
Anime_NameJan 17, 2012 2:22 PM

Jan 17, 2012 2:28 PM

Jan 2012
mellors said:
Western Kids Show is not neccessarily a negative thing. Batman The Animated Series is a "Western Kids Show," and that series is awesome. But on subject, this is interesting news, and makes me want to bump the original series to a higher priority on my plan to watch list.

Good point very true. And ya its a good series and i would recommend.

TitanXL said:
BoldBrad said:
I guess the reason i want it to be an anime because calling it a western kids show just sounds wrong on all levels.

But that's what it is. It follows all the conventions and falls into all the pitfalls of every other Americna kid's action show. It's nothing unique or different compared to Danny Phantom or Teen Titans or any other kid's show out of America.

You can like it all you want, but arguing objective words and meanings for the sake of not having to like an American kid's cartoon is a bit silly. I think the fact Japan doesn't want it, the country of anime, should be the only proof you need, even if you ignore straight definitions.

As for this ya i guess i am silly. My bad lol. I wasnt looking objectively. Happens to all of us. my bad
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's the worst movie you've ever watched? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 10, 2017

115 by JKKH »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Yesterday

12 by 56709 »»
2 hours ago

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - 4 hours ago

0 by batslimeman »»
4 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7599 by juanlqr »»
Today, 4:44 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Today

2 by DollzchanAi »»
Today, 1:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.