Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2012 12:08 PM

Aug 2011
Wanted: Action photos of you when you were still in uniform, or if you still are.
Since I opened my big mouth, I'll go first.

Here is a pic of me with cigar and my co-driver leo somewhere in Iraq, circa 2004

Here is a pic of The Beast, at rest, with new armour. Location is Doha, Kuwait ~ April '04

Now it is your turn. Some of you, I realize will have to dust off the Super 8 movies or color slides to get your pics here. Just do it!

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 14, 2012 12:54 PM

Mar 2009
Have to mount an archeological expedition to unearth them. If I can find them, I'll have to scan them, etc. We're talking hard copy photos. No digital.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jan 14, 2012 1:46 PM

Aug 2011
So what are you waiting for?!?

Jan 15, 2012 3:10 AM

Dec 2008
Here's a pic of yours truly, circa September 1976, taken while at Boot Camp in Great Lakes!

Me, with a couple of Playboy Bunnies at the Navy Exchange on the Philadelphia Navy Base, circa July 1983

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Jan 16, 2012 9:30 AM

Dec 2008
No bunnies or trucks, just an everyday working stiff doing his job...

And certainly no stogie. The Nav got really cranky about smoking in one of their planes when it was on the deck. Back then it was a different matter once you got in the air though.
AntalkJan 16, 2012 4:01 PM
Jan 16, 2012 4:03 PM

Aug 2011
Orlah, what are you doing in this pic? Are you in a plane?
btw, I edited your spoiler so we could see the pic. It had some weird code that only mal could generate.

Jan 16, 2012 7:38 PM

Dec 2008
Antalk said:
btw, I edited your spoiler so we could see the pic. It had some weird code that only mal could generate.
MAL does that every once in a while just to piss you off. I think what happened was I had gone in and edited the original post and forgot to correct the HTML coding that MAL puts on spoilered images (which it's not supposed to be doing).

That picture was taken for the squadron "cruise book" that someone in the squadron posted on FB a while back and I snagged it from there. It was taken in the cockpit of one of these on the '79-80 deployment to the PI,

But I'll be damned if I can figure out what I'm working on, I can't remember that we had anything that small in the center console. The one-wires had loads of stuff, but the only thing I can remember belonging to the tweets was the TACCO repeater 'scope and that was huge. Weighed about 25# and was a real pain to pull out 'cuz you could never really get a good lift to do it easily and you always used the wrong muscle groups to pull it out. Unless maybe it's one of the UHF or VHF radio control panels....
Jan 17, 2012 12:46 AM

Dec 2008
OrlahEhontas said:
Antalk said:
MAL does that every once in a while just to piss you off. I think what happened was I had gone in and edited the original post and forgot to correct the HTML coding that MAL puts on spoilered images (which it's not supposed to be doing).

That picture was taken for the squadron "cruise book" that someone in the squadron posted on FB a while back and I snagged it from there. It was taken in the cockpit of one of these on the '79-80 deployment to the PI,

But I'll be damned if I can figure out what I'm working on, I can't remember that we had anything that small in the center console. The one-wires had loads of stuff, but the only thing I can remember belonging to the tweets was the TACCO repeater 'scope and that was huge. Weighed about 25# and was a real pain to pull out 'cuz you could never really get a good lift to do it easily and you always used the wrong muscle groups to pull it out. Unless maybe it's one of the UHF or VHF radio control panels....

Well, as long as you didn't cause the plane to crash with your tinkering, then it was all good! :P

Jan 17, 2012 7:41 AM

Dec 2008
PhillyFlash said:
OrlahEhontas said:

Well, as long as you didn't cause the plane to crash with your tinkering, then it was all good! :P
As a CDI, the biggest concern I had was that the guys re-installing that scope made damn sure it was screwed in securely. It was mounted right in from of the 2P's engine throttle controls and if it came out on take-off, it was probably heavy enough to cause the throttles to go to zero, if not full reverse thrust.
Jan 17, 2012 6:35 PM
Oct 2008
Sorry I have no pictures while on Duty in Iraq there was no one taking any at the time so I might have some boot camp pictures some where
Jan 28, 2012 4:35 PM

Mar 2009

Sorry pic are crap.  They are a scan of a scan of old, faded photos. 

Across the top:
Just prior to Basic Training, Standard Basic Photo, Basic just before heading to the range
Leave just after Basic, Friends at AIT, Ft. Rucker, AL, small b&w just off Active and in in Reserves
Germany (I still have the flight parka), home on leave, after a reserve drill weekend. 
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Jan 28, 2012 10:06 PM
Oct 2008
Still looking there around here somewhere just where that's anyone's guess.
Jan 31, 2012 3:03 AM
Feb 1, 2012 12:54 AM
Nov 2010
When I visit my parent's I should dig through all my old pictures. The sad thing is most of my pictures were lost. Some were lost in the mail when I sent a disposable camera back to the US. The rest because the picture didn't come out either because of the way I took it or cuz of being x-rayed or something lol. xD

I really should ask some old buddies to see if they might have one with me.
Feb 1, 2012 1:32 AM

Dec 2008
lisnoire looks so-ooooooooo cute! I approve! ^_^

Feb 1, 2012 7:12 AM

Mar 2009
PhillyFlash said:
--LOL. Thanks Philly! Too bad I didn't really appreciate what I had going on at the time. At the risk of sounding vain, I'll share a fond memory.

I was out processing at Ft. Dicks, NJ and managed to step off the sidewalk in my dress pumps, twist my ankle, destroy my last pair of hose, and do some real damage to my knee. I was limping through out processing on a rapidly swelling and stiffening knee when a freckled faced redheaded boy approached me but stood, hat in hand, at a respectful distance. In the thickest southern accent I've ever heard, said, "Ma'am . . . . I don't want to bother you but . . . I just gotta say . . . you're prettier than a speckled pup!" He ducked his head and scuttled away. I do not lie. That is what he said.

Gods bless him! He had no idea how much I appreciated the courage it took him to do that and how it meant to me then and to this day. Later an older and far more suave NCO saw me limping around and came to my rescue taking me to dinner and to the airport. Afraid dinner and departing the Philadelphia airport is the only time I spent in your part of the world.
Feb 1, 2012 6:41 PM

Dec 2008
lisnoire said:
PhillyFlash said:
--LOL. Thanks Philly! Too bad I didn't really appreciate what I had going on at the time. At the risk of sounding vain, I'll share a fond memory.

I was out processing at Ft. Dicks, NJ and managed to step off the sidewalk in my dress pumps, twist my ankle, destroy my last pair of hose, and do some real damage to my knee. I was limping through out processing on a rapidly swelling and stiffening knee when a freckled faced redheaded boy approached me but stood, hat in hand, at a respectful distance. In the thickest southern accent I've ever heard, said, "Ma'am . . . . I don't want to bother you but . . . I just gotta say . . . you're prettier than a speckled pup!" He ducked his head and scuttled away. I do not lie. That is what he said.

Gods bless him! He had no idea how much I appreciated the courage it took him to do that and how it meant to me then and to this day. Later an older and far more suave NCO saw me limping around and came to my rescue taking me to dinner and to the airport. Afraid dinner and departing the Philadelphia airport is the only time I spent in your part of the world.
And today that young freckle faced southern boy would be facing a GCM for sexual harassment and kissing his career, "Bye-bye". Although, I think they call it "Sexual Misconduct" these PC days.
Feb 1, 2012 6:51 PM

Mar 2009
OrlahEhontas said:
And today that young freckle faced southern boy would be facing a GCM for sexual harassment and kissing his career, "Bye-bye". Although, I think they call it "Sexual Misconduct" these PC days.--These days I'd likely be the one up on charges! Anyway, that kid was so sweet and polite that could have been considered harassment. Now the sauve NCO . . . . . .
Feb 1, 2012 11:44 PM
Nov 2010
lisnoire said:
Now the sauve NCO . . . . . .

LOL =D That's what I was thinking. It sounds like a good day though. =)
Feb 2, 2012 6:25 AM

Aug 2011
No misconduct there, lisnoire, just an NCO taking care of one of his troops.

lisnoire said:
OrlahEhontas said:
And today that young freckle faced southern boy would be facing a GCM for sexual harassment and kissing his career, "Bye-bye". Although, I think they call it "Sexual Misconduct" these PC days.
--These days I'd likely be the one up on charges! Anyway, that kid was so sweet and polite that could have been considered harassment. Now the sauve NCO . . . . . .
What a sad state we live in.

Feb 4, 2012 12:27 AM
Nov 2010
Antalk said:

Here is a pic of The Beast, at rest, with new armour. Location is Doha, Kuwait ~ April '04

Man, I just remembered that when I went to Iraq in 2003 there wasn't enough armor to go around so we used the old Vietnam era flak jackets. xD

We also didn't have up-armored HMMVW's either. Just fiberglass, sheet metal, and plastic canvas. o_o

I remember seeing a hard-armored Army HMMVW and was in awe. Air-conditioning, smoke grenade launchers, 4 radios mounts, turret....those puppies were sweet lol. Our unit was also probably one of the only ones that still had 5-tons too haha.

Ah well, if we had to wait till we were properly equipped the war would've been over. o_o
Feb 4, 2012 4:32 AM

Aug 2011
When we got there in Feb '04, we did not have any armour on our vehicle either and according to the unit we were replacing, didn't need it. They never fired their weapons the whole time they were there. That all changed in April when the insurgency erupted like a volcanoe.
I remember going to the bone yard at Arifjahn (sp?) picking thru the busted up vehicles looking for turret rings, Ma duece mounts and armour for the humvees. We came away with a lot of useful stuff.
As far as the 5-tons go, were they the 900 or the 800 series? Were they the cargo or tractor variety? Our sister unit from Akron had 900 series cargo and the unit I was in while stationed in Jersey, they were there when you were, and had 900 series cargo as well. Those Jersey trucks saw duty in Desert Storm as well. Alot of those trucks had bullet holes in them. There was a reserve trans unit that was based out of Arifjahn that did its business as far north as Tikrit but did a few trips to Mosul and had the 800 series tractors! Those had to be brutal in that heat.
Talking about 5 tons reminded me of a scene I watched unfold right n front of me...Sitting in my truck at the water point inside of BIAP right by Victory North, which was a choke point. As we were waiting our turn to pass a convoy of 900 series 5 ton tankers was methodically weaving their way thru the choke point. I noticed the shit eating grin on this dudes face as he manuevered his truck past me. Then a female popped up out of his lap. I broke out in laughter, he saw me and started laughing too. She wasn't amused. She turned 5 shades of red and dove back into his lap. Lucky bastard.

Feb 8, 2012 12:07 AM
Nov 2010
If I had to guess, I would say we had m800 series trucks as troop carriers. The m900 hoods look off and the cab seems much higher when looking at it's profile. The thing is I think we had some m900 too because when I look at the wreckers they looked very similar to ours. It's funny. Typing of this reminds me of the time in Al Hilal that one of our Staff Sargeants got bored and decided to try fording across the little oasis body of water that was inside the base and getting stuck. So they had to use the wrecker to pull it out. xD Fun times. =)

Wow, well for us we didn't get any female marines in our unit until in-country I think we got a female officer attached to us. Other than that the only female marines were in the Division not Battalion level xD.But I heard a lot of people trying to get them over there..especially when we finally started regressing back to Kuwait towards the end of our deployment.

In 2003 most of our deployment was during phase IV, the transitional period between fighting the Republic Guard, conscripts, mujahideen and insurgents. By April all the regular units had disbanded and were now in hiding and organizing. In the early part we'd get insurgents that would just shoot at you off the side of the road. But it progressed farther and farther away very quickly eventually moving to IED's once the ppl dumb enough to shoot at a convoy of marines were killed and the people smart enough to make bombs were left.

We used to make trojan horses, sending a 5-ton with MRE rations on both sides hiding a squad of marines in each truck and with LAV's trailing a couple miles behind trying to bait insurgents to ambush us what appeared to be a "soft" target.
yngtadpoleFeb 8, 2012 12:38 AM
Aug 19, 2012 10:03 AM

May 2009
Here is yours truly with my fresh new E-5 rank on.

stunt_crazyAug 22, 2012 9:15 AM
Aug 20, 2012 9:57 AM

Aug 2011
Dude, smile. That rank comes off as easily as it went on...that's why it has velcro lol

Congrats!!! What patch is that. Don't recognize it, not that I should. When I was in the desert, you'd see smatering of active unit patches, 82nd, 101st, 1st Cav but the rest were guard and reserve. There seemed to be more of us than them. Got bitched at by THE CSM of the 82nd cause he didn't like the phrase "Ass, Gas or Grass, I don't haul for free" on the side of my trailer. It was OK to have "Virgin Killers" on the side of one of his Bradley's. One of our troops pointed it out to him and he said, "You're just truckers. Whaddya know about combat?!?" Silly CSM, we probably killed more insurgents than his boys did. Hell, we did in 400 in one afternoon. Reversed an ambush on them. Hell, our sister company thwarted an ambush on some engineers, killed almost all of them and took prisoners. We had a hatefull relationship with active duty. Loved the Marines, tho. No games. Just kill.

btw, I am a retired SSG, from the guard

Aug 22, 2012 9:18 AM

May 2009
Antalk said:
Dude, smile. That rank comes off as easily as it went on...that's why it has velcro lol

Congrats!!! What patch is that. Don't recognize it, not that I should. When I was in the desert, you'd see smatering of active unit patches, 82nd, 101st, 1st Cav but the rest were guard and reserve. There seemed to be more of us than them. Got bitched at by THE CSM of the 82nd cause he didn't like the phrase "Ass, Gas or Grass, I don't haul for free" on the side of my trailer. It was OK to have "Virgin Killers" on the side of one of his Bradley's. One of our troops pointed it out to him and he said, "You're just truckers. Whaddya know about combat?!?" Silly CSM, we probably killed more insurgents than his boys did. Hell, we did in 400 in one afternoon. Reversed an ambush on them. Hell, our sister company thwarted an ambush on some engineers, killed almost all of them and took prisoners. We had a hatefull relationship with active duty. Loved the Marines, tho. No games. Just kill.

btw, I am a retired SSG, from the guard

Haha sounds like you guys was a bunch of crazy mofos antalk. Im part of a medical company, its the 807th medical patch. We are just medical equipment so I dont play much of a part in slaying people but we help save em.

And that is me smiling lol
Aug 25, 2012 9:55 AM

Aug 2011
I started off in the Coast Guard, doing Search and Rescue. THAT group was a bunch of crazy mofos ( I was part of the group that got permanently banned from all official Air Show parties held in Cleveland during Labor Day Weekend. Yes, they are still banned) We were just a bunch of truckers/nomads traveling around Iraq. I spent more time sleeping on the hood of my M915A3 than in my cot back at our base camp. Nothing like cruising thru Baghdad on a Sunday morning, nursing a hangover listening to Johnny Cash. We had fun, did our job and pissed off active duty army at every turn, cause we could. When active duty army hands you lemons, make lemonade...and add some vodka

Sep 30, 2012 5:16 AM

May 2009
Thia is a more informal one.

Oct 31, 2013 1:07 AM
Oct 2013

In the brown. This was for a breast cancer walk on base.

Not sure how to just post the pictures on here but you can still click them
Darkslyde11Oct 31, 2013 1:12 AM
Dec 30, 2013 8:23 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
stunt_crazy said:

Tanking pictures in the arms room, tisk tisk. As though I'm one to talk. lol

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tesiga2003/media/IMG_1064.jpg.html

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tesiga2003/media/4uvuiua3dxknplzjywrtdpbw4311802919.jpg.html
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Jan 18, 2014 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
Me in Afghanistan.

Mar 21, 2014 6:05 PM

May 2009
Tracer_Senpai said:
stunt_crazy said:

Tanking pictures in the arms room, tisk tisk. As though I'm one to talk. lol

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tesiga2003/media/IMG_1064.jpg.html

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tesiga2003/media/4uvuiua3dxknplzjywrtdpbw4311802919.jpg.html

I feel properly owned Tracer!
Jan 2, 2020 9:06 PM

Mar 2016
USN, My 1st liberty in boot, Orlando, FL, 1976

Speedy
AKA: HeroHog, Dr. Speed and "That fat, old, balding, grey-bearded gimpy guy"
Jan 3, 2020 4:02 AM

Aug 2011
@HeroHog
Basic trng pics, i am surprised it isn't in b&w, lol. Buddy from work, went into the USN and just graduated from Great Lakes. I sent him a couple of post cards from Cape May which is where USCG has its basic training command. Thought it would put him in good w/ his training cadre, lol.
Your first liberty at boot, was it on base only? Did you get a second liberty call or possibly a third?

Jan 3, 2020 12:12 PM

Mar 2016
Antalk said:
@HeroHog
Basic trng pics, i am surprised it isn't in b&w, lol. Buddy from work, went into the USN and just graduated from Great Lakes. I sent him a couple of post cards from Cape May which is where USCG has its basic training command. Thought it would put him in good w/ his training cadre, lol.
Your first liberty at boot, was it on base only? Did you get a second liberty call or possibly a third?

110 Color Kodak instamatic, bud! ;-)

Did my Diesel school in Great Lakes, glad to escape there too!

No, that was off base at a pizza place that, IIRC, our DI had an interest in. We were a rifle drill team so we did parades and graduation ceremonies. Yeah, we had a few, Navy boot camp was one of, if not the longest, at the time, of the branches back then. The Marines MAY have been the same or longer but I don't think so.
Speedy
Mar 8, 2023 12:43 PM

Mar 2016
Fresh outta boot with my Marine dad circa 1976. Unfortunately, all of my in service pics were lost! I can show ya my ship, ASR-15, USS Tringa, a Submarine Rescue and Salvage Ship out of the Grotton, CT Nuke Sub base.

Speedy
Mar 8, 2023 12:45 PM

Mar 2016
16, not 15, Dang it!
Speedy
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Membership Card

Antalk - Dec 24, 2011

9 by HeroHog »»
Jan 3, 2020 12:02 PM

» Madlax's first rule of jungle warfare:

Grim0013 - Jul 31, 2012

4 by HeroHog »»
Jan 3, 2020 12:47 AM

Poll: » Head count for your branch

CMB17 - Jan 14, 2012

44 by HeroHog »»
Jan 2, 2020 9:19 PM

» Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 )

Ftom14cat - Dec 14, 2011

84 by HeroHog »»
Jan 2, 2020 9:12 PM

» Favorite Tank?

yngtadpole - Dec 1, 2012

11 by JonGC »»
Jan 10, 2013 9:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.