Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Poor momo-senpai >_< although i still don't get whats up with the wierd racket it does make a point. Looking at it, it would help you hit the ball at the center of the racket more often when switching back to a normal racket :3

Again i love the art upgrade, so much better than the old one --- I liked the twist at the ends as well. I'm looking foward to the next few episodes
Jan 11, 2012 2:04 PM

Jul 2008
I wasn't gonna watch this anymore, since I still needed to finish the first season (I believe I left it at episode 108) but that cliffhanger. hnggggggg. Now I feel like I REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON NEXT EPISODE.

Dang you effective cliffhangers.
Jan 11, 2012 2:56 PM
Sep 2009
And when you think this show cant get any dumber... Will keep watching for lulz.
Jan 11, 2012 4:05 PM

Dec 2011
aw poor momo-senpai D: But he got recoginzed by Oni so XD Aw wish they at least shows Ryomas double match real quick before the episode ended XD. I can't wait for the next one D: Golden Pair!!!
Jan 11, 2012 4:14 PM

Oct 2010
I literally stopped the watching when they kept showing them 3 stupid filler characters. Their so damn annoying i dont ever recall seeing them in the New Prince of Tennis manga.
Jan 11, 2012 4:52 PM

Jan 2012
bonifide said:
I literally stopped the watching when they kept showing them 3 stupid filler characters. Their so damn annoying i dont ever recall seeing them in the New Prince of Tennis manga.

They were in the manga, but for 4 pages out of the whole entire series (so far). I don't why they were given this much screen time in the anime

Anyway, I loved this episode. The twist at the end was one of my favorite parts in the manga.
Jan 11, 2012 5:45 PM

Nov 2011
Horrible episode. The two-stringed racquet was just stupid, and what's with the ridiculous gap in strength and skills? At least the matches between the pairs seem promising.
Jan 11, 2012 5:49 PM

Apr 2010
People need to learn that this anime doesn't make sense since episode 40 of the first series. It's not because it's absurd that it makes it horrible.

3/5 for the episode.
Jan 11, 2012 5:58 PM

Nov 2011
Solkiskey said:
People need to learn that this anime doesn't make sense since episode 40 of the first series. It's not because it's absurd that it makes it horrible.

3/5 for the episode.

There's a difference between not making sense and being ridiculous within bounds. I did remember them giving some sort of explanation (even if those don't make sense either) for the skills they pull off. A two-stringed racquet is just pointless.
Jan 11, 2012 7:44 PM

Dec 2007
MissileSoup said:
Solkiskey said:

3/5 for the episode.

There's a difference between not making sense and being ridiculous within bounds. I did remember them giving some sort of explanation (even if those don't make sense either) for the skills they pull off. A two-stringed racquet is just pointless.

It's obviously some kind of special training + handicap for that Oni guy. It is a training camp after all. You'd have to learn to always hit the ball in the center to use a racket like that, maybe that's why he's using it.

Plus these are trained high schoolers. If you've made it to that camp in high school you're obviously the cream of the crop. The gap in power should be there, I was actually expecting it to be more.
Jan 11, 2012 8:04 PM

Mar 2009
Looking forward to seeing those singles matches.
Not too interested in Oishi vs. Kikumaru though.
Jan 11, 2012 10:41 PM

Apr 2008
LOL Of course half the stuff they do in the anime isn't anything that can be done in real life. This anime is just for fun, seriously.

Hmmm too much angryranting/bashing in this so I will definitely stick to the anime and stay out of the forums... like I usually do.

I'm just glad this season decided to bring back a lot of sport anime. I needed a break from all the cutesy crap coming out every season.
<3
Jan 11, 2012 10:59 PM

Sep 2008
Poor Momo, being attacked a another anime/manga character's knife.
I can't believe that Echizen can't read such a simple map either...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2012 12:12 AM
Apr 2011
kristin said:
LOL Of course half the stuff they do in the anime isn't anything that can be done in real life. This anime is just for fun, seriously.

^This.

I personally am not a fan of real tennis, but because of this anime I find the sport mildly interesting and the anime version fun to watch (even if the moves are ridiculous and cannot be repeated in real life.)
Have I ever watch real tennis? Yes, but I find real tennis dull to watch and I get bored of it really quickly. I prefer the anime version better. The characters are likeable (even if some of them have cocky attitudes). The story is a no brainer as one could tell where it would lead towards to at the end. The animation and music are fluid. And of course, some parts of this episode are questionable (i.e. the two-stringed racket), but I won't dwell too much on it because this anime should not be taken too seriously.
Jan 12, 2012 12:27 AM

Nov 2011
Kizetsu said:
It's obviously some kind of special training + handicap for that Oni guy. It is a training camp after all. You'd have to learn to always hit the ball in the center to use a racket like that, maybe that's why he's using it.

Was that stated in the episode, or is that your speculation? If it was, then I missed it. If it's not, I stand by my point. Regardless, usually characters in Prince of Tennis at least display some new skills, or some variations, to make things interesting. For Oni, they just turned the ball black and added a two-string racquet. I simply didn't find it interesting, nor the episode entertaining.

To the others: I never complained about realism, but I guess people are too busy being condescending. I obviously did not sit through 178 episodes of Prince of Tennis because I can apply those skills to the real world.
MissileSoupJan 12, 2012 4:07 AM
Jan 12, 2012 4:55 AM

Feb 2011
Oh boy. My very low expectations seem to have been still to high.
The "animations" are way to static and the BGM is pretty bad, imo.
Jan 12, 2012 5:14 AM

Sep 2011
Wtf. That racket...
Jan 12, 2012 2:12 PM

Jan 2012
Awww...Poor Momo-senpai and Horio-kun!!! (well, just Momo-senpai lol)
I think that that "coach" is Evil and he's just acting like a clutz -.-

Jan 12, 2012 8:40 PM

Mar 2010
I don't understand how if Ryoma beat Lleyton Hewitt, the number one tennis player in the world at that time, how these 17 year old Japanese tennis players can be better than him.
Jan 12, 2012 9:27 PM

Apr 2010
teddy96 said:
I don't understand how if Ryoma beat Lleyton Hewitt, the number one tennis player in the world at that time, how these 17 year old Japanese tennis players can be better than him.

Same here xD, but somehow I am already used to this abnormal plot :D
Jan 13, 2012 6:46 AM

Jan 2011
Dan is alright, but I really hated that Horio and that Rikkai's first year appeared (how can such an idiot-looking guy be at Rikkaidai, it'll ruin Rikkaidai's reputation), man they are reaaaally irritating >:(
I really wanted to watch the doubles matches, but I still look foward to see the singles matches.
About Momoshiro and Oni's match, seriously, it was veeeeeeery boring -.-
Jan 13, 2012 8:00 AM

Nov 2008
This was more entertaining than the first episode. I still try to not to laugh when everyone just keeps posing in the background. Is it only me but does Horio seem alot more sympathetic than before?
Jan 13, 2012 4:29 PM

Oct 2010
kaykenner54 said:
The twist at the end was one of my favorite parts in the manga.

Same here! I was so hyped to finally see it in the anime, then... cliffhanger. Hooray. =__=

I can't wait for the next episode.
[insert awesome signature here]
Jan 13, 2012 9:52 PM

May 2011
I am noticing that many people are unhappy with the fillers and differences in skill level between the middle and high schoolers, but there are several good reasons why they necessary.

The manga right now is not as far in so I believe the longer episodes are necessary in order to let the manga keep its course. Also I think the beginning is crucial enough to be dragged out a little bit because what's to come in the next few episodes takes TeniPuri to the next level. xD I am sure they won't let us down during the next phase of the training camp.

As for the reason why the new characters and skills have become even more exaggerated, it is because Konomi-sensei intended to make them that way. Last year during an interview he expressed that he originally created Prince of Tennis as a Fantasy-type manga to be compared with other shonen works like One Piece, Bleach, etc... He stated that he really wanted to up the fantasy element this time around and the animation definitely holds true to that. He takes great care to make characters and movement realistic, but I doubt that he ever intended for the series to be viewed in the way that everyone is complaining about.

Personally I am enjoying this every week as I compare each episode to the manga. I play tennis myself, but I have never viewed this series in the way actual tennis is played. It is simply entertaining and inspirational and I can't get enough. What's more is the original VA's are back and the art is amazing! If there is any room for aversion right now I think it belongs to the ending sequence. xD Or maybe I just haven't warmed up to it yet.
Jan 14, 2012 6:38 AM

Aug 2010
I can't wait to see the results of Ryoma's training in America! I hope in the next episode they'll show a wonderful doubles of Ryoma and that kid (forgot his name).
Jan 14, 2012 4:46 PM

Jul 2007
kaykenner54 said:
bonifide said:

They were in the manga, but for 4 pages out of the whole entire series (so far). I don't why they were given this much screen time in the anime

Anyway, I loved this episode. The twist at the end was one of my favorite parts in the manga.

You have to consider just how little pages there are in the new manga though. The whole 2nd ep was like 35...40 pages at max. The chapters are awfully short so I hope extending those brats' appearance so much in this would mean the matches also get longer so there is SOMETHING to watch.

And Oni is nice guy. And Echizen falling down this bad is a bit ridiculous but oh well.
Need to make new sig. Soon. Maybe.
Jan 16, 2012 11:49 AM

Jul 2009
oneyardcoastline said:

Personally I am enjoying this every week as I compare each episode to the manga. I play tennis myself, but I have never viewed this series in the way actual tennis is played. It is simply entertaining and inspirational and I can't get enough. What's more is the original VA's are back and the art is amazing! If there is any room for aversion right now I think it belongs to the ending sequence. xD Or maybe I just haven't warmed up to it yet.

Thank you for this oneyardcoastline! I just want to say that after reading this, I agree. I just don't understand all the hate. If you don't like this anime, then just don't watch it. It's JUST entertainment. If your looking for realism, don't watch anime, period.

Anyway, I really have an all new respect for Momo-chan. He got his ass handed to him, but he still fought - hard. What a guy.

Ah! This sudden twist is going to break my golden pair heart, isn't it?
-Jenn
Feb 3, 2012 7:12 PM

Jul 2010
Momo-senpai.. :/

And I'm ALWAYS LIKE INUI WHEN WE HAVE TO PAIR UP xD.
But that's a real dilemma. I don't want to see either Kaidoh, Eiji, or Oishi and all the others gone.

Cool cool. And DOUBLES WITH KOSHIMAE <3

Oh, and I want Sakuno back :'(
Oct 12, 2012 4:27 AM

Oct 2009
jenchan said:
oneyardcoastline said:

Thank you for this oneyardcoastline! I just want to say that after reading this, I agree. I just don't understand all the hate. If you don't like this anime, then just don't watch it. It's JUST entertainment. If your looking for realism, don't watch anime, period.

Anyway, I really have an all new respect for Momo-chan. He got his ass handed to him, but he still fought - hard. What a guy.

Ah! This sudden twist is going to break my golden pair heart, isn't it?

Well said! I don't understand all the unnecessary bashing either, this anime is clearly not intended for realism, I don't understand why it's even brought up at this point in the series. Part of the reason why it's entertaining is the unrealistic aspects. If you want real tennis go watch it! There's plenty available, personally I find it boring, but whatever suites you...
fishergirl16 said:
Momo-senpai.. :/

And I'm ALWAYS LIKE INUI WHEN WE HAVE TO PAIR UP xD.
But that's a real dilemma. I don't want to see either Kaidoh, Eiji, or Oishi and all the others gone.

Cool cool. And DOUBLES WITH KOSHIMAE <3

Oh, and I want Sakuno back :'(

Haha yeah I agree with you, I noticed there's a lot of main side characters being left out! Hario's two buddies, Sakuno and her friend, and you'd think that all the coaches would at least make an appearance...and it sucks to see that everyone's gotta eliminate their partner.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jul 3, 2013 11:01 PM

May 2010
I don't think the people bashing it are complaining about realism. There's a difference between crazy over-the-top and just flat out nonsense, even if both are unrealistic. But, the show stepped over that line way back when Kikumaru duplicated himself IMO, so I've given up on anything making sense anymore. I personally preferred the crazy over-the-top stuff from earlier in the series, but I'm still watching it, right?
“Money can't buy dere”
Jul 7, 2014 12:17 PM

Apr 2014
Wasn't expecting to see Horio again haha.
That new Rikkaidai first-year is cute, and I'm glad we get to see Dan again!

Next ep is going to kill me though...
Ryo/Ootori & Eiji/Oishi :-(
Fuji/Yuuta too... I love Yuuta so much ugh
Feb 18, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2012
Sport anime can be so ridiculous it's funny ^^" Those superpower-like moves are just killing me xD
This is quite cool :D Poor guys they will have to play against their friend...
Anyway I think I really should go watch the 1st season first though...
Aug 21, 2016 9:34 PM
Jul 2018
Fun episode, lots of things happening! Really like the pacing so far and I like that the mathes are more or less limited to the highlights, at least for now. One thing I wasn't keen on in the original series was how it was mostly back to back matches. I like having more scenes with the characters just interacting.

Momo was ridiculous trying to play tennis when he can't hold his racquet but I guess that's why he was the perfect one to do that first match; had it been anyone else, they would have stopped rather than going on with it in that stubborn way. I also don't really get why Momo's Jack Knife is so special especially since I think half the Seigaku players have used it at one point (I know for sure Ryoma and Inui have) and some of the rival schools have used it as well. Momo, to me, seems to have the least 'unique' tennis style-- Jack knife and Dunk Smash don't really seem all that special tbh.

The two string racquet was kind of silly but I kind of like the variation on the normal racquet. I wouldn't mind seeing more customized/unique racquets later on.

Of course Ryoma and Kintaro get up to some trouble on their own lol. Doubles with Koshimae<3

Rikkaidai first year had poop hair or something hahaha. Can't believe he was allowed in the school with that hair; Rikkai's reputation is ruined now lol. He should have gone to Shitenhouji.
Dec 28, 2017 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
Ahhh I'm watching this again and I love how Kaidou actually cares about Momo but of course he still gets angry and yells at him. And how he asks Tezuka to be his partner..!!

This is a pretty cruel way to get rid of half the players.. Golden pair, silver pair.. q_q but lmao Inui gets stuck with Mizuki.

Doubles with Koshimae<3 Kin-chan too cute
Feb 17, 2020 10:39 AM

Apr 2011
I felt sorry for Momo. It was also interesting seeing the match between Oishi and Eiji.

Aug 28, 2021 5:26 AM
Sep 2018
The level is so high and poor momo

More topics from this board

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 8 Discussion

Blackbird - Feb 22, 2012

26 by Ryomachibisuke »»
Jul 12, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 6 Discussion

fishergirl16 - Feb 8, 2012

34 by Ryomachibisuke »»
Jul 12, 2023 10:29 PM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mirorin - Jan 4, 2012

89 by Ryomachibisuke »»
Jul 12, 2023 10:25 PM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 5 Discussion

dulucifer - Feb 1, 2012

23 by iTwiXix »»
Aug 28, 2021 9:55 AM

Poll: » New Prince of Tennis Episode 4 Discussion

Myloxeth - Jan 25, 2012

26 by iTwiXix »»
Aug 28, 2021 6:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.