Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2012 7:35 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Now that the final chapter is out, what did everyone think about this series?

I liked it in the beginning, but the ending didn't really do anything for me.
BridgeXJan 11, 2012 7:44 AM
[/center]
Mar 29, 2012 8:37 AM

Dec 2008
Great ending. I was very surprised to see a story by Ito-san that didn't end with everyone dead or worse. Well, at least not in the final chapter 'cause it's mentioned their deaths and the fall of humankind on those visions that Marisol had.
Mar 31, 2012 11:30 AM

Nov 2007
BridgeX said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Now that the final chapter is out, what did everyone think about this series?

I liked it in the beginning, but the ending didn't really do anything for me.

I liked the beginning more. Ending was a bit over the top, but that's Ito's style. I liked the manga much. 8/10
Aug 9, 2012 4:02 AM

Jan 2012
Not the ending I was expecting but still good nonetheless
Sep 24, 2012 7:52 PM

Oct 2010
Great great great!Ito is an amazing story teller
This world...is rotten
Jul 3, 2014 3:04 PM

Nov 2011
I like the concept of the afterlife that Ito showed us on this manga, and the ending itself felt solid for what the story turned out to be (when compared to the somewhat scattered beginning the story had).

As a whole, I'd say that while Black Paradox steered away from the simple horror story that it initially seemed to be, it did turn out to be a very interesting supernatural story with some horror elements here and there.
Dec 3, 2014 8:00 AM

Jan 2014
renders said:
Not the ending I was expecting but still good nonetheless
Aug 3, 2017 12:36 PM

Apr 2014
I thought this manga started good but ended weak. Felt like the manga wasn't resolved properly, either.
your waifu is shit
Sep 14, 2017 2:46 PM

Dec 2015
For humanity's sake!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 7, 2017 5:01 AM

Mar 2015
The manga ended pretty much like other Itou Junji's work. They're left ambiguous with some exposition of what will happen (i.e. either everyone dies or something fucked up will still continue)

Definitely loved the concept of the story, but could've worked with more chapters and better pacing.

Feb 4, 2018 1:01 AM

Oct 2015
Seems open ended. Who knew suicide could lead to such strange happenings. All's well that ends well(or not) I guess. Probably my least liked story I've read from Ito so far. 4/10
Feb 4, 2018 10:41 AM
Nov 2017
It was pretty decent. But the ending, is so blah, and seems to be a recurring thing with Junji's work so far.

I half expected them to have just each jumped into each others hole, kill Suka and be done with it.
Apr 24, 2019 10:58 AM

Oct 2007
EGOIST said:
Seems open ended. Who knew suicide could lead to such strange happenings. All's well that ends well(or not) I guess. Probably my least liked story I've read from Ito so far. 4/10

Open ended? The girl with premonition predicted everything that will happen. :D

They even discussed what they will do next, find their balls. lmao

Funniest bit is they were the first 4 that intended to die, but they will be the last 4 to die. Heh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2022 9:57 PM

Dec 2009
Out of the few long stories from Junji Itou I've read, I'm don't really like this one.
The concept as is common from Itou is fascinating, but the events are mostly dull, and the left out questions are disappointing for seemingly being meaningless- at least, I don't understand them as brief as they were.

Soul stones coming out of humans is cool, but the idea of dopplegangers wasn't clear, nor did it seem to have logic to it in the end.
If I understood correctly, I think that everyone has these potential opening portals in their body which I guess stems from some kind of insecurity.
I don't know why the scientist's was his stomach, but he got it after reviving off several sleeping pills when attempting suicide. The scared woman was from her face, the man was his doppleganger shadow, I guess... and the psychic was her tumor, which after it was removed, she can clearly see the future now.

The action of one entering their own portal to the spirit world of soul stones is interesting,
but there's no sense as to why that happened... This story was a bit all over the place. The stones are stronger than diamond, when struck unleashes the spirit which can cause body marks from them if they pass through you... and they produce energy.

It's not what I expected or was hoping for.
The doppleganger seemed great, but it was quickly dealt with in the beginning, and then left unclear more than already was later in the end.
The scarred woman's doppleganger (reflection of herself) gets shattered into mirror pieces. The guy's doppleganger deflates to death... even though there's another or the same who remains alive.
It's all very bizarre. The woman who can sense bad omen to herself was intriguing but wasn't great in the end. Although her reveal of the incoming future of humans going extinct by killing themselves through taking away their own soul stones is interesting.

It's a messy bizarre story from Itou, even though it has some cool ideas. Unfortunately it's not extremely entertaining or fullfilling from how awkward it is in execution. The ending of them deciding to save the world, or at least survive by protecting their own stones is intriguing though. But. 4/10 nonetheless.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Paradox Chapter 2 Discussion

SzJ - May 31, 2017

5 by aries04 »»
May 9, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » Black Paradox Chapter 3 Discussion

joe_g7 - Sep 14, 2017

4 by dakuchonekobing »»
Mar 10, 2023 8:33 PM

Poll: » Black Paradox Chapter 8 Discussion

joe_g7 - Sep 14, 2017

5 by JudgeRuthless »»
Jan 28, 2023 3:31 PM

Poll: » Black Paradox Chapter 1 Discussion

magelet - Sep 29, 2010

9 by dakuchonekobing »»
Jan 16, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Black Paradox Chapter 7 Discussion

joe_g7 - Sep 14, 2017

5 by CaptainGiri »»
Aug 12, 2020 8:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.