Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 14, 2020 8:47 AM
Apr 2016
A time loop, huh? I knew that's going to happen because I knew that there's this one "really hated" arc in this anime. It's looking interesting to me though.
Feb 2, 2020 9:28 PM

Feb 2019
Day of Sagittarius one. Rewatched it, and still one of my favourites. The battle scenes were awesome and hilarious at the same time, especially Mikuru's useless fleet. But what's most awesome is seeing Nagato at her A-game and in her field. She was like a one-woman oiled machine, probably because she kind of is. Loved it!
Jun 8, 2020 4:10 AM

May 2018
god dammit it's another time loop
Oct 8, 2020 5:55 AM

Mar 2020
I've known about the absurd broadcast/chronological orders for a while now, but I wasn't aware of how much they fuck up the way this series is viewed. I'm not sure how I should go about updating this series (given I'm technically already on to season two), but the best option is always the laziest. I hope the people back in 2009 enjoyed having to switch discs if they wanted the optimal way to view this series.

Quite a good episode overall, though I was surprised by how stupid Kyon was. He's usually pretty good at putting two and two together, which is why it so was strange for him to doubt that time was repeating itself. I'm also confused by how these characters recognised their feelings of deja vu. Koizumi says that Kyon and himself are only capable of experiencing such a thing because 'him and Kyon are the closest to Haruhi', though I can't recall an instance where Koizumi and Haruhi have actually spoken to one another (aside from when he was joining the SOS Brigade). I suppose Koizumi does have some closeness to Haruhi because he fights her destructive emotions, but Haruhi has always taken more of a liking to Asahina. I'm pretty sure the only reason she isn't experiencing similar emotions is because she could catch on to time repeating itself way sooner.

I hear that the second season loses its edge in more ways than one, and I suppose my gripes might just be a result of that. I may come out hating the endless eight arc, but I would be glad to have suffered through it with the handful of people who have bothered to comment on the discussion pages. Until this arc concludes, I dub every one to be a realest one, regardless of whether you're watching the chronological order or not.
Jan 9, 2021 1:00 PM

Feb 2020
I just watched the episode about the alternate dimension. According to MAL this episode 13 is actually about Itsuki telling Kyon about Haruhi being able to create said dimension. And now people here say this episode is actually about the Endless Eight. WHY. WHAT IS THE ACTUAL ORDER. HELP.
(The episode I watched was good though, I really liked it, but it felt like a finale episode without being one according to MAL, that's all the more confusing)
Mar 15, 2021 5:17 PM

Jun 2014
So, seeing that this is some alternative version of the last episode I saw, I'm assuming that this must be part of the famous "Endless Eight" that I've been hearing about. Interesting.

Apr 10, 2021 12:33 AM
Jul 2018
I've begun the Endless Eight it would seem.
May 10, 2021 8:10 PM

Jan 2019
15.499th time loop incoming...

I do appreciate that there are minor differences between each loop though.

Hard to believe there's only one episode left.
Jul 24, 2021 7:02 AM

Aug 2020
[Chronological order]

Wow, what a twist.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 4:31 PM

Jan 2020
I'm so confused. Last discussion, everyone was talking about some music or concert episode but now everyone is on endless eight like I was? LOL I'm more upset about the fact that it's so messed up rather than the fact that it repeats lmao

But damn.. poor yuki :(

Aug 5, 2021 8:54 AM

Jul 2020
too much classified information XD. this ep is i liked the most

big appreciation for Nagato
Dec 23, 2021 7:58 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

Too much information about dimensional void, espers. And Haruhi feeling her insignificance, damn she was depressed there.
Jan 31, 2022 6:05 AM

Dec 2007
airing order~

wow, just wow, truly mindfuck episode, starting with haruhi 'melancholy", continuing with nagato 'espar' powers explanations.
except for explaining a lot on episode 4, kyon "commentary" in the end made me think a lot about the slow and quite episodes for a fact.
the episode actually made me go back to episode 7 where nagato talked about the enclosed place they are in and saying "my powers have somewhat ability here", probably because it's not haruhi's powers who created that enclosed place.

things are just becoming crazier lol.
Aug 30, 2022 11:46 PM

May 2021
Overall it was very boring as it was a repeat of episode 12, since I watched the anime from episode 1 to 14 in that order & pretty much nothing interesting happened at all.
Nov 14, 2022 6:43 AM

Oct 2021
15,498, poor nagato:(
Jan 4, 2023 11:08 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
(endless eight part 2)

Is it just me, or was there almost NO re-used shots from the first endless eight episode???!!! Angles and perspectives are different, clothes are different, holy sh*t if Kyoto Animation actually made each of the endless eight unique in such a way, I think it'd be a waste to not at least watch what their efforts have created- or rather, recycled. But I'll be frank right now: I am actually very intrigued. The part in which I thought I'd just lose all hope with this series, is where all hope is restored. I don't know if I'll still feel the same as I get deeper into these following endless eight episodes, but as I feel right now, I am ready to consume ALL of them.

It is recommended that if you wish to skip over most of the endless eight, apparently you watch the first, second (or is it third, legit one place I think I saw SEVENTH...), and last episode. So maybe the reason I'm excited right now is because I watched the last episode which is actually interesting- because here we see they have realized that they are in a loop. Or perhaps they have come to a point where they realized they are in a loop over 15,000 times already. But the point is this is where we as the audience get to see them realize this fact. 

Will we continue to get subtle and not-so-subtle changes in the following episodes to come? Or is this 2nd episode the last one that is remotely interesting, before the pointless cycle of doom continues? Whatever it is, I actually believe to get the full of effect of relief when this cycle inevitably gets broken, we do have to watch them all as intended. I believe they give us enough differences from episode to episode to keep us going- unlike what I expected which was the EXACT SAME EPISODE EVERY TIME, frame for frame, line for line. But that is not the case. We get things shaken up, and I think the end of this will make it all worth it.

Anyway, one more episode and I'll have technically finished season 1, which chronologically ends with endless eight part 3. It's basically all just one season though, I disagree with splitting it up into two seasons like they did here on MAL. Without further ado, onto episode 3. If it still holds my attention by the end of that one, I think I might very well just watch them all. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 23, 2023 4:39 PM
Jun 2021
i have entered the Endless Eight it appears
Apr 25, 2023 2:08 PM

May 2018
So, the name The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya makes a lot of sense now. This series is about the absurdity of existence. I love how Haruhi can be completely random, chaotic, sarcastic yet philosophically endearing at the same time.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 30, 2023 3:33 PM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological- ep13

endless eight 2

i feel that this was better than the first episode of this arc xDD
probably due the added mystery.

the OST of this series is just crazy good

mikuru finally putted "that" swimsuit :p
Jul 9, 2023 7:58 AM

Aug 2019
We finally get a good look at that giant monster we saw all the way back in episode 4. I think just about everything has been explained now. We now know what Haruhi is, and we know what everyone else is too.

If I understand it all, Haruhi is an unaware God with the power to create anything she wishes for without knowing it. Mikuru is a time traveller, Nagoto is an Alien, and Koizumi is an Esper, and finally, Kyon is the sort of catalyst in this whole situation, he's the one who gave Haruhi the idea to start the SOS Brigade and is basically responsible for everything we've seen up until now... This show is awesome! I am so glad I watched this in broadcast order. Everything has suddenly come together now. I don't think there's anything that's unexplained now, apart from the first episode of course
Jan 6, 2:57 AM

Mar 2020
Between this and the last, Haruhi is getting a lot more depth than usual

Feb 18, 12:17 PM
Feb 2021
Endless Eight II - Chronological Order
"Deja Vu", huh kyon? Almost like summer is endless, like everything has already happened before...
"15,498 Times" said Yuki Nagato. It's really sad that she's repeated those two weeks that many times, really makes you wonder how she feels. What's really sad is that the number only goes up. Do something Kyon, break the endless loop. "A different version of me will have to deal with it."
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.